Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

GregNorc posted:

But would I be crazy to keep this as a worst case scenario backup plan? (if private employment doesn't turn up, and I don't get into any of the grad programs I want to)

Do you really need to come in to this thread every few months with a new law plan?

Talk to your cousin, not this thread. Ask him if there will definitely be a spot for you when you graduate even if you go to a lovely law school. I have relatives who are lawyers, some who are in positions of power - it doesn't always mean anything. If you aren't close cousins, it's possible he'd rather save his favors and use his position of power for people other than you. If he says yes, you're welcome at his firm and you are happy doing that kind of work, then sure, why not? If you'd be happy doing personal injury stuff in general, then you can always go solo if it doesn't work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TyChan posted:

I think some of those insane hours involve the billable "waiting around" time that comes with legal work, like camping out at the printers with the bankers or waiting for 2+ hours before your annoying opposing counsel actually arrives for a court-scheduled conference.
Seems to me like attorneys in transactional-type practices do bill quite a bit of time for sitting around. I haven't been involved in a ton of killer corporate deals, but if I'm sitting in the office at 11pm on a Sunday, waiting for opposing counsel to turn a draft, I am certainly billing that time.

Lykourgos posted:

yeh, that's what he wrote, they're crushing her soul.

also :lol: at nyc hours, another reason why chicago is the more honourable city, caring for its learned class of noble lawyer retainers
NYC is crazy. Chicago for life (unless my firm makes me move to NYC).

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

HooKars posted:

I'm convinced that God just sits up there and laughs at me.

I spent a year and a half in St. Louis - Not a single interview. Last week I broke up with my boyfriend and moved back home this past Saturday. Of course, today a law firm in St. Louis wants to interview me.

I'll still go interview with them but dammit... the timing.

Over the last couple years I've befriended a Duke alum in the market I had been planning on going to (until I broke up with my gf). Monday the alum emails me asking me if I'm free for lunch on Wednesday, because they just had a partner meeting that day and decided they wanted to hire on some class of 2011 folks when they graduate. After lunch the alum directs me to the managing partner's office. Apparently they want to hire me when I graduate...

Hilarious.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HiddenReplaced posted:

Over the last couple years I've befriended a Duke alum in the market I had been planning on going to (until I broke up with my gf). Monday the alum emails me asking me if I'm free for lunch on Wednesday, because they just had a partner meeting that day and decided they wanted to hire on some class of 2011 folks when they graduate. After lunch the alum directs me to the managing partner's office. Apparently they want to hire me when I graduate...

What the F is with people getting interviews and jobs and being top 5% in their class (high five Sigmachiev!) around here lately...

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

HiddenReplaced posted:

Hilarious.

Grats. Get it in paper.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Roger_Mudd posted:

Blah is a full-service law firm seeking a legal intern to work 20-25 hours per week starting this summer and possibly extending into the school year. Blah is seeking help with litigation discovery on a project basis. The duties will include, but are not limited to, document management, keeping client calendars, filing pleadings, contacting courts to schedule hearings, etc. Qualified applicants must be proactive and dependable. Moreover, the successful candidate must be industrious and detail-oriented. The selected candidate must also take responsibility for new projects. Mastery of the discovery process is preferred but not required. The hourly rate is $10.

Interested candidates should submit a resume and letter of intent as soon as possible to:

The need is immediate.

Yep, minimum wage is 7.25 an hour.
I literally made twice that as wait staff hahahaha

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm still trying to convince my boss that applying Bilski invalidates all software patents, but he's not biting yet.

Just wait for the CLE. Also, Groklaw has analysis: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20100629014657710

And so does Prawfsblawg: http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2010/06/bilski-and-thankfully-continued-uncertainty-in-patentable-subject-matter.html#more

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Spent every day this week doing research for an SD motion my judge is hearing on Friday. Medical malpractice, and it's not this doctor's first time down that particular road, either -- he has a fair few and from a cursory glance some of the others may not have been unfounded.

Then I figured out I have a family member that goes to this particular doctor. Awkward!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Alaemon posted:

Spent every day this week doing research for an SD motion my judge is hearing on Friday. Medical malpractice, and it's not this doctor's first time down that particular road, either -- he has a fair few and from a cursory glance some of the others may not have been unfounded.

Then I figured out I have a family member that goes to this particular doctor. Awkward!

My dad has a med/mal firm, and I found out through it that a neurosurgeon that was a family friend and attended my bar mitzvah got busted for molesting patients while they were knocked out.

Even more awkward: I found out once that a girl I cybered in a MUD back in like 1996 (I was 13) was an insurance adjuster my dad knew.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Alaemon posted:

A friend of mine who does primarily plaintiffs' med mal had his first heart attack at 50, got rushed to the hospital, and who should treat him but a doc that he tried a three week case against about two months prior. Awkward!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SWATJester posted:

Even more awkward: I found out once that a girl I cybered in a MUD back in like 1996 (I was 13) was an insurance adjuster my dad knew.

...how did you find this out? What sort of conversation leads to this sort of information?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

SWATJester posted:

Was it actually a female?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How do you even get to the topic of cybering in a MUD in conversation?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Dallan Invictus posted:

Guess who lucked out. :woop:

Short-term gig (3-5 months), so I guess I'll keep trying to find a way to article next year either with DOJ or some IP/techlaw firm in Ottawa/Vancouver/Toronto, or get some other permanent position. But it's a foot in the government door, it uses my law degree despite not being counsel-track, and it sure as gently caress beats unemployment. I start Monday.

Now, to keep my bills at bay for three more weeks...

Congrats! Was this through FSWEP?

DOJ is my #1 articling location too, their rotation is amazing and they had a 100% hireback rate this year (14/14).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SWATJester posted:

My dad has a med/mal firm, and I found out through it that a neurosurgeon that was a family friend and attended my bar mitzvah got busted for molesting patients while they were knocked out.

M-M-Mr. Bungles??

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Congrats! Was this through FSWEP?

DOJ is my #1 articling location too, their rotation is amazing and they had a 100% hireback rate this year (14/14).

The position I lost out on last fall was through FSWEP, but the counsel that interviewed me liked me enough that they decided to bring me on now anyway without going through FSWEP or PSR.

I blew my chance at DOJ Ottawa because my second reference decided to take way too goddamn long to write their letter, but I might be able to get in through a secondment from some other federal position, or apply to one of the regional offices and get in that way. It'd be a bloody dream job, I agree.

God, I wish articling apps didn't need to be so ridiculously far ahead of start time. Blehhh.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

entris posted:

...how did you find this out? What sort of conversation leads to this sort of information?

We were talking in the MUD and she mentioned that she was going to a certain convention. I said "Oh really, my dad is hosting a convention in that city." She was like "....your dad is XXXXXXX?" I thought "oh poo poo."

ManiacClown posted:

Was it actually a female?

Yes, and apparently she'd actually met me several times and had known me since I was like 5.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

SWATJester posted:

Yes, and apparently she'd actually met me several times and had known me since I was like 5.

I think life would be much better if moments like this were accompanied by the "failure" music from the Price is Right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SWATJester posted:

We were talking in the MUD and she mentioned that she was going to a certain convention. I said "Oh really, my dad is hosting a convention in that city." She was like "....your dad is XXXXXXX?" I thought "oh poo poo."

MUDs are where nerds go to lose their virginity

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Alaemon posted:

I think life would be much better if moments like this were accompanied by the "failure" music from the Price is Right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

I have the horns on my phone for just such occasions.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I lost my virginity in the mud

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
Me: Ok CL, our court date is 7/15 at 9:00. Try to get there 15 minutes early.
CL: In the morning or at night?
Me: Of course in the morning.
CL: Why not at night?
Me: Is the bank open at 9PM, the post office? DO you work at night?
CL: Yeah I work at night.
Me: ...
Me: loving idiot. Hmm, maybe that isn't so stupid.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

poofactory posted:

Me: Ok CL, our court date is 7/15 at 9:00. Try to get there 15 minutes early.
CL: In the morning or at night?
Me: Of course in the morning.
CL: Why not at night?
Me: Is the bank open at 9PM, the post office? DO you work at night?
CL: Yeah I work at night.
Me: ...
Me: loving idiot. Hmm, maybe that isn't so stupid.

Yeah, night court. One of my profs in law school did night court for a while years ago, had some hilarious stories of the crazies.

Yojimbo Sancho
Feb 1, 2007
I have no idea either...
Typical day at work for me-

7:45: Wake up
8:00: Stumble across street to work. Door locked. Buzz intercom. No answer. Call office number/buzz repeatedly for next 10 minutes to no avail.
8:15: Back at my apartment watching world cup.
8:30: Go back to office. Door unlocked, half the office is there working already.
9-2: Eat free bagels and drink free soda while attempting to write unnecessary memo obviously given to me as busy-work.
2:05: Turn in memo. Partner fist bumps me for a job well done. He leaves to go golfing.
2:06-4: Watch World Cup online until I leave.

Personal Injury/Criminal Defense :shobon:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Ok lawgoons, I need your help.

If I needed to very quickly become an expert in "privacy and related regulatory issues", what treatises, practicioners guides, etc. would you recommend?

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Privacy in what context?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MUD sex

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

SWATJester posted:

Ok lawgoons, I need your help.

If I needed to very quickly become an expert in "privacy and related regulatory issues", what treatises, practicioners guides, etc. would you recommend?
Ugh. Coming from someone who has had some of this foisted on me, it is impossible. There are literally like 20+ different statutory and regulatory regimes, and a lot of them are state-based, so they vary. Does this include HIPPA? Also, a bunch of this stuff isn't really regulatorily enforced, it's more best practices. Ugh guh.

Just a brief list of some of the privacy laws/regs I've had to deal with:
HIPAA
GLBA
state breach notification laws
state insurance regs (e.g., NY insurance regs 169 and 173, IIRC)
FCRA
Massachusetts and Nevada information security laws/regs
Safeguards Rule
COPA
FTC Act
There are probably some banking-specific state or federal regs I haven't had to deal with yet

You are completely hosed. What are they asking you to do?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
It's a staff attorney position with a tech industry trade consortium, so I'd assume it's information security stuff, and less any particular state law claims. I need to have some knowledge in the field in order to apply.

-e- I think on that list, COPA and FTC immediately jump to mind as logical places they might have some issues.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 2, 2010

Ganon
May 24, 2003
What happened to the foreign service job?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

SWATJester posted:

It's a staff attorney position with a tech industry trade consortium, so I'd assume it's information security stuff, and less any particular state law claims. I need to have some knowledge in the field in order to apply.

-e- I think on that list, COPA and FTC immediately jump to mind as logical places they might have some issues.
OK, http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/idtheft/bus69.pdf is a decent overview on general practices related to the handling of personal information.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Ganon posted:

What happened to the foreign service job?

It's still there. But I'd be an idiot not to look at other options.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

gvibes posted:

Ugh. Coming from someone who has had some of this foisted on me, it is impossible. There are literally like 20+ different statutory and regulatory regimes, and a lot of them are state-based, so they vary. Does this include HIPPA? Also, a bunch of this stuff isn't really regulatorily enforced, it's more best practices. Ugh guh.

Just a brief list of some of the privacy laws/regs I've had to deal with:
HIPAA
GLBA
state breach notification laws
state insurance regs (e.g., NY insurance regs 169 and 173, IIRC)
FCRA
Massachusetts and Nevada information security laws/regs
Safeguards Rule
COPA
FTC Act
There are probably some banking-specific state or federal regs I haven't had to deal with yet

You are completely hosed. What are they asking you to do?

Add FERPA to the list

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Yojimbo Sancho posted:

Typical day at work for me-

7:45: Wake up
8:00: Stumble across street to work. Door locked. Buzz intercom. No answer. Call office number/buzz repeatedly for next 10 minutes to no avail.
8:15: Back at my apartment watching world cup.
8:30: Go back to office. Door unlocked, half the office is there working already.
9-2: Eat free bagels and drink free soda while attempting to write unnecessary memo obviously given to me as busy-work.
2:05: Turn in memo. Partner fist bumps me for a job well done. He leaves to go golfing.
2:06-4: Watch World Cup online until I leave.

Personal Injury/Criminal Defense :shobon:

Sounds almost exactly like what I've done today except throw in a BBQ at an associate's house for lunch.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

sigmachiev posted:

Sounds almost exactly like what I've done today except throw in a BBQ at an associate's house for lunch.

Add in some more nothing, add in a lot more conferencing and arguing over the law, printing out cases, highlighting cases, slapping down treatises and then writing a motion that will be scrutinized and edited over and over by four different bosses that still only has a 30% chance of being filed and you've got my job. Except I start at 10, end at 5:30 or 6 and make a fraction of what you do.

And I know I work for a solo but everything we file goes through co-counsel too before its sent out. Mrrrgh.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 3, 2010

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Just had my first day working in a law office. Pretty excited with all of the whats-its and doodads and OH GOD THE PAPER EVERYWHERE and stuff. It was actually pretty cool.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
^Congrats on finally getting to do something real. I don't remember my first day at a law job, but actually getting to do something in the real world gives you a far better understanding of things than law school does.

I know the law market is down in the doldrums, but does anybody have a link to a good discussion of MBA and med school prospects? Not for me, personally, but the missus likes the idea of an MBA in a couple of years, and there's a friend who thinks med school is an automatic job (which it may well be). I remember somebody was discussing MBA job woes a bit earlier

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Lykourgos posted:

I know the law market is down in the doldrums, but does anybody have a link to a good discussion of MBA and med school prospects? Not for me, personally, but the missus likes the idea of an MBA in a couple of years, and there's a friend who thinks med school is an automatic job (which it may well be). I remember somebody was discussing MBA job woes a bit earlier

MBA degrees are largely the same as law school degrees. Useless and over supplied.

Med School is impossible to get into but once you do & if you can get into a specialty you are golden.

There are actually market/school caps that guarantee shortages in most specialties.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Okay everyone. Let's try REALLY hard to help me get this job. I know we went over good questions to ask during interviews awhile back but does anyone have any other good ones - specifically for someone not entering the summer program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Just got back from 10 days in Alaska.

Cons: not Guam; indeed, Alaska
Pros: still insanely beautiful, and you can probably find work as one of those people who poses as a mountie as the cruise ships dock