Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Grand Fromage posted:

The plasma gun is displayed that way because it's actually JC Denton's dick.

That's why UNATCO hurt his weenie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Rock Paper Shotgun has an interview with Tom Chick, the games reviewer who (apparently) infamously gave Deus Ex a 3/10 and never completely lived it down right here.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The plasma gun is displayed that way because it's actually JC Denton's dick. His semen is augmented.

I sort of want to change my forum name to My Weenie Is A Plasma Rifle now.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Frankosity posted:

Rock Paper Shotgun has an interview with Tom Chick, the games reviewer who (apparently) infamously gave Deus Ex a 3/10 and never completely lived it down right here.
That guy criticized exploration being rewarded with found items and said the game constantly forced you into firefights. Boy, a guy who decided he didn't like exploration so only took a cursory glance at objectives off the main path and would run-and-gun at every chance. Now that's immersing yourself.
He referred to the nanotechnology as magical. You can just imagine him calling bullshit at the premise of the JC Denton character, then getting aspergingly angrier and angrier as the missions role on.
I think he would say Halo was a better Deus Ex than Deus Ex was.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Tom Chick:

quote:

When Deus Ex was released, the Unreal engine struggled mightily with the level design. That was before console systems came along and saved us all from poorly optimized engines.

:what:

Is he still hosed in the head or something?

Paigicus
Sep 1, 2007

Note to self: I don't wanna see that!

OregonDonor posted:

Loaded with nanetes.

"The cleaner nanites made my teeth feel slippery."

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
"Oh my God JC, A dong!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I think it's great that Tom Chick reviewed Deus Ex. Now we can all get on with never paying the least attention to another word he says.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Pope Guilty posted:

I think it's great that Tom Chick reviewed Deus Ex. Now we can all get on with never paying the least attention to another word he says.

Sure, if you think someone being wrong about one thing automatically makes them wrong about everything.

IronyGuy6669
Apr 22, 2010
I can understand what he says, but I feel games should get points for ambition, even if the reviewer couldn't really get into the experience. I don't really know his history and opinions, but it seems like he's proud for the very fact that he went against the grain.
It's great that there are people who are willing to speak their mind and dissent, but I'd argue it would serve more purpose, and be more of a statement to speak out against the generic, overscripted games with no ambition instead of a relatively small cult hit game that tried to experiment.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Christoph posted:

This is the saddest news for my ginger JC flamethrower run. I'm happy I just found the unique baton at Mr. Renton's counter the last time you visit Hell's Kitchen. Smuggler sells an auto-shotgun for the outrageous price of 7500 credits. Is that the unique? Because there's no way in hell('s Kitchen) that I have that much money at that point in the game.

It might be, but I know for sure you can get it for free the last time you visit his hideout. It's in the security bot compartment. I think you have to trip the lasers. You might be able to bypass the control panel, but I don't remember if that opens the doors.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Sure, if you think someone being wrong about one thing automatically makes them wrong about everything.

He also said in the article that consoles saved gaming and Alpha Protocol was a better game because it wasn't ambitious. :downs:

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Supernorn posted:

He also said in the article that consoles saved gaming and Alpha Protocol was a better game because it wasn't ambitious. :downs:

Okay, well, in that case he sounds pretty crazy.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Every time I die in the Steam version of Deus Ex the game gets bugged until I reinstall it. Up until I die, I can use the mousewheel normally. Afterwards the selector moves but I can't actually switch away from item 1.

Also, if I try restarting the game I keep all the items I had before I died, and all the crates are restocked too.

Kind of puts a damper on finally finishing this.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

SuitDude posted:

It might be, but I know for sure you can get it for free the last time you visit his hideout. It's in the security bot compartment. I think you have to trip the lasers. You might be able to bypass the control panel, but I don't remember if that opens the doors.

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that the bot is actually friendly to you after the first visit to smuggler's, no need to bypass the panel- I haven't checked it out myself, though.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

orange lime posted:

Tom Chick:

:what:

Is he still hosed in the head or something?

Not entirely.

Tom Chick posted:

By the way, before submitting the review, I doublechecked with my editor about review scores. Gamecenter was using the 1-10 scale. Not the 7-9 scale, they insisted! Even back then, I resisted the idea of the 1-10 scale being a 7-9 scale (that particular battle has long since been lost, of course). So while writing the Deus Ex review, I verified with my editor that a 5 would be an average game and not necessarily a negative score. He confirmed. So I sent in the Deus Ex review with a 3. I figured it was a couple notches below average. Man, can you imagine a 3 these days? No one’s going to use a 3 on any game that doesn’t cost $19.99 or less.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Christoph posted:

This is the saddest news for my ginger JC flamethrower run. I'm happy I just found the unique baton at Mr. Renton's counter the last time you visit Hell's Kitchen. Smuggler sells an auto-shotgun for the outrageous price of 7500 credits. Is that the unique? Because there's no way in hell('s Kitchen) that I have that much money at that point in the game.

The assault shotgun that Smuggler sells is no different than any other assault shotgun that you've been able to snatch off of a corpse for free since before Hong Kong. Although the unique auto-shotgun isn't very far away.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Frankosity posted:

I can't believe this guy thought that Alpha Protocol is what Deus Ex should have been.

quote:

Contrast this to Alpha Protocol, which focuses first and foremost on gameplay, confined to smaller more manageable boxes representing warehouses or enemy bases. For all its faults, Alpha Protocol knows how far it can and can’t reach.

This guy has to be functionally retarded.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Deus Ex mechanics with Alpha Protocol story variability would in fact be the best Deus Ex game ever.

But then he's talking about gameplay and smaller boxes, so I don't even know what the gently caress.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
Really? Video games need more boxes and warehouses? gently caress his knowledge, I hate him.

Mr. Bob Dobalina
Jun 30, 2010
I'm just going to leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4orTvfvdz8

Mr. Bob Dobalina fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 1, 2010

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
That Tom guy is just a big, gross clitoris.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Bought the game in the sale and so far it's been very good for £1.49, but I've hit a small problem. I've found a couple of augmentation upgrade canisters:

But can't figure out how to use them on the medic bot upgrade screen:

Maybe I'm just being a bit thick, but where do you click to install them?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You can install them yourself without a medbot on your augmentation screen.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Open up your inventory and you'll see a bunch of tabs near the top. One of them is "Augs," which looks a lot like the medbot interface but also has buttons for upgrades.

Is there a way to disable mounting in Biomod? It's not a bad feature on paper but it's not implemented very well in my opinion.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 1, 2010

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks!

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Chunderbucket posted:

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned that the bot is actually friendly to you after the first visit to smuggler's, no need to bypass the panel- I haven't checked it out myself, though.

That's true. I exploded it instinctively the second time I went there and I got a point deduction. Never bothered to look in there again, though.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
Am I going to be able to find a couple LAMs on the superfreighter? I just got here and I only have three. Yes, I raided the ammo depot, no I couldn't afford them from smuggler.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Am I going to be able to find a couple LAMs on the superfreighter? I just got here and I only have three. Yes, I raided the ammo depot, no I couldn't afford them from smuggler.

There is a GEP gun hidden on the bow of the freighter. Drop some stuff if you have to and use it to finish the job.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

BattleMaster posted:

There is a GEP gun hidden on the bow of the freighter. Drop some stuff if you have to and use it to finish the job.

There's also a few LAMs in the armory on the crew deck

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

bitterandtwisted posted:

Thanks!

I'm also playing through for the first time, and I did the same thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Supernorn posted:

Tom Chick is basically just a big troll. CGM only gave him opinion or comedy pieces because he couldn't write a review without trolling.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Mousepractice posted:

There's also a few LAMs in the armory on the crew deck
You can also use the assault rifle's mounted grenade launcher (equip the gun then change the ammo type).

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Deus Ex mechanics with Alpha Protocol story variability would in fact be the best Deus Ex game ever.

But then he's talking about gameplay and smaller boxes, so I don't even know what the gently caress.
I think he's saying he'd rather Deus Ex be a more linear experience which is basically saying he wants it to be an entirely different game then what it is. The guy compliments it's ability to be open world on one hand then criticizes it's open world gameplay on the other. Basically he's a loving moron.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
So, what would be more rewarding:
-Play Deus Ex for the millionth time, but this time with Biomod
-Play The Nameless Mod for the first time (I have been wary)

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
If I don't dig Deus Ex after the first level, does that mean I won't enjoy it anymore? Or should I put more :effort: into it?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Methodis posted:

If I don't dig Deus Ex after the first level, does that mean I won't enjoy it anymore? Or should I put more :effort: into it?
The first level is the worst because you have no skills or augs or weapons and all you can do is shoot people really poorly with a pistol. Play through Hell's Kitchen, which is I think like another hour of gameplay, and if you still don't like it then you are not a Deus Ex man I guess.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

At least give NamelessMod a go. I mean, are you really such a baby that a small amount of internet humour is going to scare you off? :colbert:

Edit: VVV I will admit that it does indeed have all these flaws.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 1, 2010

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I've really tried to give TNM a chance but I'm about 3 hours in and it's just not fun at all. All the new weapons look like they were modeled by a 13 year old Counter Strike fan, with some monkey-cheese wacky weapons sprinkled in for good measure (throwing sporks! :awesome: ) The story is completely disconnected from reality and I since I've never posted on any Deus Ex forums I find it impossible to give a poo poo about any of the characters. The linear progression style is gone in favor of a sandboxy type city with different areas that you access via the subway. This would be cool, except that traversing any of the main areas without the speed aug is REALLY boring. I keep feeling like if I just play a little longer then it'll start to get good, but that hasn't happened yet.

So yeah, biomod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008
Remember: to enable 'mantling' you have to rebind the jump key after you have installed BioMod.