Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Dr JonboyG posted:

I hope the car has actually been to the Nordschleife. Otherwise it's like wearing a medal you didn't get awarded.
They say in Europe, that sticker means the car has been on the nurburgring. In America (for obvious logistical reasons), it more commonly means the driver has been on the ring.

That's why the decal is not in its proper location as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

(((k))) posted:

Do you know what the date ranges are? From what I can tell it's sep 08?

07/08 - 08/08 with a FEW September's affected as well.

The build date is on the door panel of the driver's side.

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

blargle posted:

How hard are those to install? I was going to use red paint instead (there's a big thread on Nasioc with instructions). The vinyl overlays scared me off because they looked much more difficult to install correctly, someone said they take 30 minutes to install with a hairdryer.

I highly, highly advise painting them. It's much easier and they won't fade (I've had two friends who's overlays went orange, at which point we painted them).

Painting is really easy, just make sure you tape them off on the car.

Here's mine post-painting. It took a couple of hours on a nice dry day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm experiencing a lot of vibration in my car when I've got the air conditioner on and I'm sitting at a light; it feels like the idle keeps dropping repeatedly and then spinning back up and making a general racket of itself. From what I can see, a dirty IACV is to blame for a lot of Subarus, but my car (06 WRX) is drive by wire. Is there still an IACV for a drive by wire car, or is it just some line of code in the ECU and my problem lies elsewhere?
I'm still having this problem, even without the air conditioner (seems to happen when I'm stuck in stop & go traffic). It affects throttle response when I pull away; the car kind of "stumbles" and is rough to drive for a little while.

When the car is "cold" (in fast idle) the throttle response is excellent, the engine loves to rev and the car acts pretty much perfectly. However, about halfway through my commute it just becomes a rumbling vibrating chore. This appears to be regardless of whether or not I run the AC.

I've got drive by wire so no IACV. I've seen it recommended that the MAF be cleaned, but I would assume that the mechanic I did my 48k km service with cleaned the MAF as part of the air filter replacement. I can't seem to find a decent set of pictures that go HERE IS THE MAF so I guess I'll have to look in the service manual. The MAF sensor was sitting directly where I should have been looking this entire time.

Anything else I can look at, especially with the (limited) data logging facilities of an AP v1?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 30, 2010

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I've seen it recommended that the MAF be cleaned, but I would assume that the mechanic I did my 48k km service with cleaned the MAF as part of the air filter replacement.

Never assume gently caress all with mechanics. If you didn't tell them, they ain't loving doing it (most times).
Air filter replacement does not mean tear apart the intake tract and clean any debris/dirt.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If a mechanic took it upon themselves to clean my MAF while doing an air filter change we'd be friendz 4 life. No one goes above and beyond like that.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

8ender posted:

If a mechanic took it upon themselves to clean my MAF while doing an air filter change we'd be friendz 4 life. No one goes above and beyond like that.

I do for your car :sympathy:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Sockington posted:

I do for your car :sympathy:

You're selling it back to me for the same price when you're finished right? :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You guys are already friends for life. It's like 8ender and Sockington went to war, 8ender got shot, and then Sock had to nurse him back to health by sticking tampons in his wounds and firing wildly at approaching Russians.

Except for Subaru Imprezas. I'm not good with similes.

8ender posted:

It's in the Subaru maintenance specification, and I was in for the "48k service," which mandates air filter replacement, but okay, yeah. It's not a dealership shop, but an independent Subaru shop.

Looks like I have my weekend project; hopefully they still sell MAF cleaner at Auto Value. I just remembered that I found an old air/fuel sensor in my box of parts I got from the PO; when I asked him about it a few months ago, he said it was to deal with the "slow idle," but it did nothing to fix the problem. It would be kind of funny if he went to all that effort only to have to clean the intake air sensor.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 30, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I got my PA inspection done today and I passed just fine, but I notice I have the following printed on my emissions report.

"Based on the information gathered during an attempt to perform an On Board Diagnostic test, NO Signal was available from the On Board Diagnostic computer system. This vehicle should produce a signal from the On Board Diagnostic computer system.

This vehicle needs to have the above problem corrected prior to next year's emissions inspection."

The guy at the place where I had the test done (National Tire and Battery chain store) said that "some cars just do that and there's nothing to worry about." However, I am worried about it a little bit as I don't want to have an issue next year when I get the car inspected again. Can anyone shed some light on what may cause this or if it can be safely ignored?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I'm looking for some decent seat covers for my '04 Forester that aren't going to gently caress with the side airbags in the unlikely event that I actually need them.

Preferably something that is moisture resistant like neoprene or something. Trying to keep the actual seat from being destroyed after being outside and sweaty all drat day.

Any recommendations?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

The guy at the place where I had the test done (National Tire and Battery chain store) said that "some cars just do that and there's nothing to worry about." However, I am worried about it a little bit as I don't want to have an issue next year when I get the car inspected again. Can anyone shed some light on what may cause this or if it can be safely ignored?

If there was no signal from the onboard computer that would mean that your ECU was dead. But if your car works, obviously it's not. More than likely this guy just didn't have the key in the ON position when he was trying to read from the OBD2 port. So he's an idiot. Not your problem.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Amandyke posted:

If there was no signal from the onboard computer that would mean that your ECU was dead. But if your car works, obviously it's not. More than likely this guy just didn't have the key in the ON position when he was trying to read from the OBD2 port. So he's an idiot. Not your problem.

He could also have a pushed pin on the diagnostic port. Or an open somewhere between the ECU and the diagnostic port.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I loaded the Cobb "Stage 1" map onto my 06 today. Seems to make a bit of a difference, especially at idle, which sounds and feels really different. The replacement throttle mapping is a boon for stop and go traffic too.

e: Also noticing that my intermittent idle problem seems to go away for the most part if I turn the climate control fan to "off," which of course disables climate control. It still happens when the car sits in traffic long enough to kick off the rad fan. I'm thinking I should test my alternator, but also that it probably isn't a great idea to do it with my Canadian Tire handheld multimeter.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 2, 2010

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

I loaded the Cobb "Stage 1" map onto my 06 today. Seems to make a bit of a difference, especially at idle, which sounds and feels really different. The replacement throttle mapping is a boon for stop and go traffic too.

e: Also noticing that my intermittent idle problem seems to go away for the most part if I turn the climate control fan to "off," which of course disables climate control. It still happens when the car sits in traffic long enough to kick off the rad fan. I'm thinking I should test my alternator, but also that it probably isn't a great idea to do it with my Canadian Tire handheld multimeter.

Since the problem happens after your car heats up it really sounds like the inputs that go into the ECU when it goes from open-loop to closed loop after warm up are not working correctly. That basically means MAF sensor unless i'm retarded and if I am I will be corrected quickly.

Clean it, test it, if outside of spec replace it. Or just replace it outright

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Bob Sapp Please posted:

I'm looking for some decent seat covers for my '04 Forester that aren't going to gently caress with the side airbags in the unlikely event that I actually need them.

Preferably something that is moisture resistant like neoprene or something. Trying to keep the actual seat from being destroyed after being outside and sweaty all drat day.

Any recommendations?

Wet Okole makes awesome seat covers with velcro break aways for side air bags. They're a bit pricey, but worth it imo. I had a set in my old 4runner and plan to get sets for both my STI and my 00 Forester.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I'm thinking I should test my alternator, but also that it probably isn't a great idea to do it with my Canadian Tire handheld multimeter.

Jam each lead into the battery terminals. At idle, you should see at least 13.x volts. Running/under load, it should be in the high 13's or low 14v.

If you see 12.xx anything, then the alternator isn't charging poo poo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Anyone know a tuner or mechanic in the DC area that will do an open ECU tune? I've been told that's probably a better plan than an accessport.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Dr JonboyG posted:

Anyone know a tuner or mechanic in the DC area that will do an open ECU tune? I've been told that's probably a better plan than an accessport.

Usually the entire idea behind an open ecu tune is that you can do it yourself. Are you getting the intrix cable? If so why not poke around their forums and get a map that fits with your mods (if any), flash it yourself, and then use rom raider to make a few updates if you feel the itch.

That said, you can get a free version of AccessTune from Cobb which allows you to modify your maps as well. I've been thinking about getting it, but have so far been too lazy to fill out the form.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Mat_Drinks posted:

Wet Okole makes awesome seat covers with velcro break aways for side air bags. They're a bit pricey, but worth it imo. I had a set in my old 4runner and plan to get sets for both my STI and my 00 Forester.

Those look pretty sweet.

Thanks!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Amandyke posted:

Usually the entire idea behind an open ecu tune is that you can do it yourself. Are you getting the intrix cable? If so why not poke around their forums and get a map that fits with your mods (if any), flash it yourself, and then use rom raider to make a few updates if you feel the itch.

That said, you can get a free version of AccessTune from Cobb which allows you to modify your maps as well. I've been thinking about getting it, but have so far been too lazy to fill out the form.

gently caress no, I want to pay someone who knows what they're doing, I have neither the time nor the inclination (and most importantly the aptitude) to do it myself.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Dr JonboyG posted:

gently caress no, I want to pay someone who knows what they're doing, I have neither the time nor the inclination (and most importantly the aptitude) to do it myself.

From what I've read these appear to be a few reputable shops:

http://www.dpstuning.com/
http://www.machv.com/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, getting a real tuner with a dyno is by far the best option. Where are you?

Accessports are great if you don't mind spending the extra cash, and tuners who sell them will usually cut you a deal if you buy an ap and tune at the same time.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

jamal posted:

Yeah, getting a real tuner with a dyno is by far the best option. Where are you?

Accessports are great if you don't mind spending the extra cash, and tuners who sell them will usually cut you a deal if you buy an ap and tune at the same time.

In DC - will give Mach V a call.

zephyrthebreeze
Dec 30, 2006
sine qua non
So I'm looking at this.

http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/1785986909.html

Click here for the full 1263x985 image.

Guy that's selling it is a good friend of a friend. I got to ride in it yesterday. (Stepped on a nail with my left foot day before yesterday, decided to pass on the test drive for the moment.) Engine bay looks clean, sounds good, rides good, plenty of tread on the tires. The current owner bought it with all the mods, hasn't added anything to it. He says there's no problems with it, has all the maintenance records since he bought it. I said I'd want compression/leakdown tests and an independent inspection done before I actually bought it, owner had no issues with that.

My only questions are is there anything out of the norm that I should look (or ask) for, and how does UTEC stack up against an AP? I have an opportunity to get an AP for free if I end up buying the car.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Might as well ugly up the thread with the help of my minivan

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

Jam each lead into the battery terminals. At idle, you should see at least 13.x volts. Running/under load, it should be in the high 13's or low 14v.

If you see 12.xx anything, then the alternator isn't charging poo poo.
Pretty much ~13.85V at idle with small spikes to around 14.10V when revved. With the cooling fan on, still about 13.85v; same with the interior climate control fan (though I didn't set climate control to "auto" or put the air conditioning on).

I jammed one lead into the positive post of the battery terminal and the other into the nearest convenient grounding point on the chassis (which was grounded off of negative). I forgot to do the battery directly between reading this post and going outside.

I'll try cleaning the MAF soon then and see if the problem goes away. I tried gently rapping on the MAF with my knuckles to see if I could get it to stumble or stall, but nothing came of that.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 3, 2010

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

Syd posted:

Click here for the full 1280x853 image.

Might as well ugly up the thread with the help of my minivan

Awesome car. I almost bought one of these instead of my STI, but figured I'd get a LGT next time around.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

:words:

I'll try cleaning the MAF soon then and see if the problem goes away. I tried gently rapping on the MAF with my knuckles to see if I could get it to stumble or stall, but nothing came of that.

See though? A little probing and one thing crossed off the list of possible problems.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Dr JonboyG posted:

In DC - will give Mach V a call.

You won't regret going to Dan at Mach V. He's a bit pricey, but on par with most tuners in the area and the service there is really good. They are a friendly bunch, and one of my friends is a mechanic there so give him business!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

zephyrthebreeze posted:

So I'm looking at this.

My only questions are is there anything out of the norm that I should look (or ask) for, and how does UTEC stack up against an AP? I have an opportunity to get an AP for free if I end up buying the car.

If I remember correctly the UTEC has some nicer options then the AP, including the ability to have a little button where you can switch maps on the fly (for valet or different fuel mapping options).

That's a great looking car, just make sure you've got a rainy day fund in case something like the oil pickup decides to fail and the engine shits the bucket.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

So I don't really post TOO often in this thread, but I thought I'd share the details of my new project car since I think it's pretty amusing :)

I managed to find an 00 Forester S in manual (00 being the first year of the L/S in the forester) for pretty cheap

Click here for the full 702x648 image.

Currently I'm collecting parts, but so far I've got 04 STI struts, springs, and top hats, Whiteline end links, WRX front brakes, STI exhaust, a set of wrx wheels, and fender braces.

Once I get an ebay header, a supers cat pipe, sways, sway braces for the lateral links, and sway mounts I'll have install day number one.

Then it'll get H6 rear brakes, WRX fronts, stainless lines, some kind of performance pad, etc for install day number two.

I'll probably get an STI steering rack in at some point and long term I'm contemplating different engine build options. NA blueprint and build? :) Maybe. Or maybe just a turbo swap, but everybody does those.

Oh, and I shouldn't forget the trailer hitch I'll be adding for hardware store/dump runs :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't know what you mean but the previous years had the L and S trim lines, and a base model that I'm not sure actually was produced. Anyway, nice car.
edit: I put '06 XT struts / springs on my '99 L. I'm not sure how much it changed in the handling department, but it's not like a noticeable drop or anything. It did feel better, but I was comparing it to worn out struts.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

By L/S I meant limited slip :)

The 04 struts and springs are kind of a starting point since they were cheap. I may eventually go for Konis or something similar down the line.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yes it was... haha. Yeah I got them cheap off a NASIOC user. Keep in mind with the current struts you probably have to remove the brake lines or carefully cut them out of the strut housing (if you don't want to rebleed). I replaced mine with the '06 lines (identical length but different clip) and it's much more sane; having the lines clipped on, not permanently attached.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Son of a bitch, as if I haven't already spent enough money on my Forester, it looks like my A/C compressor is also on the way out. It's squealing pretty badly, so time to replace it I guess. At least I should be able to do that myself.

On top of that, the moonroof motor is on its way out, so I'll have a couple hundred bucks in replacing that too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

Son of a bitch, as if I haven't already spent enough money on my Forester, it looks like my A/C compressor is also on the way out. It's squealing pretty badly, so time to replace it I guess. At least I should be able to do that myself.

Squealing might just mean the belt that runs the compressor needs replacement. Easy fix.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

8ender posted:

Squealing might just mean the belt that runs the compressor needs replacement. Easy fix.

If I shut the A/C off, it goes away (the belt is practically new anyway), so it's definitely in the compressor.

Replacing the compressor looks fairly easy, I'm going to replace the expansion valve and the drier too just to be safe. Still trying to figure out how to do that as my Chilton manual doesn't even mention them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

LordOfThePants posted:

If I shut the A/C off, it goes away (the belt is practically new anyway), so it's definitely in the compressor.

The belt is simply not under load when the air con is off - when the belt is not under load it wont squeak and yes I would agree with previous, it's more liekly the belt. Being newer, it's more likely to need to be retightened. Do that first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Sounds like I've got a nest of baby birds chirping behind my dash when the air conditioning is on. Blower motor? Is it a symptom of anything in particular or just aggravating?