Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I think I would commit seppuku if I were forced to shoot nothing but light trail club shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

HPL posted:

I think I would commit seppuku if I were forced to shoot nothing but light trail club shots.

Get your sword ready, check this poo poo out https://www.brightestyoungthings.com

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

HPL posted:

Eh, for free drinks, I would just get so drunk that all my shots had enough shake to make light rails. Problem solved.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Sent a followup e-mail to the editor of my local paper (who as it turns out is on publication deadline so her response was rather short) and got a good response. She said that if I needed a press pass for Warped Tour I could make that my submission for the paper.

So I'm covering Warped Tour for my local paper! It's gonna be one photo and a short article but it counts for being on editorial assignment! Though I am cutting it a bit close...

Now to wait for a response from MSO PR

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 29, 2010

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Bojanglesworth posted:

Get your sword ready, check this poo poo out https://www.brightestyoungthings.com

I cannot wait for this sort of poo poo to die, oh my god. This represents pretty much the entire Dallas 'photo scene' right now, which sucks because the minute you say "I'm a photographer" around here this is the stereotype you're up against.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dreggory posted:

I cannot wait for this sort of poo poo to die, oh my god. This represents pretty much the entire Dallas 'photo scene' right now, which sucks because the minute you say "I'm a photographer" around here this is the stereotype you're up against.
I have no idea what I'm looking at on that site. Am I that out-of-touch?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

dreggory posted:

Yeah, gently caress here goes another rant. So these fucks brightest young things (BYT) in DC think they are the loving cats meow (yeah I said it,) they literally have a dozen plus "interns" working in some shithole "office" in DC, none of them making a penny, and every one of them busting their rear end. They all "work" for BYT because they want to be associated with what they do, which seems insane to me since its so absurd. The ring leader of the whole thing is this lady named Svetlana, who is actually a decently cool person but she is the only one making any money whatsoever off of the whole thing, and she has no less than fifty "Photographer," "writers" and interns working for her for free.

Now the interesting part is that its not just like "hey I am with BYT, pretty cool right?," these kids will fight to the death about how BYT is the coolest poo poo on the planet. I have been confronted twice now by one specific photographer of theres, who cornered me at the 9:30 club and started yelling at me about how I "think i'm too good to shoot for BYT" and that I would shoot for them if I ever want to advance my career. I told him I couldn't shoot for free, and that my "career" as a photographer brought in $15k last year working on the side so shooting for free seems like a step back. He literally lost it and stormed off.

I am sorry for that rant.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got the Coverage Request Form from MSO and filled it out. Only thing I am hesitant about is the address which actually isn't in my town but the next town over (and it was kinda a bitch to track down) where I guess a ton of papers are printed. It shouldn't be an issue because the editor information I gave them on the form is recent and she can vouch for me.

Hopefully they can read my handwriting :ohdear:

And sent in! They'll "be in touch"

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 29, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

quote:

Bright Young Things

Hipsters :negative:

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

pwn posted:

I have no idea what I'm looking at on that site. Am I that out-of-touch?

Just imagine the world's most elaborate, convoluted circlejerk session. Got it? Now picture a website about it which, itself, is jerking off the circlejerkers. It's like staring into the abyss.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, gently caress here goes another rant. So these fucks brightest young things (BYT) in DC think they are the loving cats meow (yeah I said it,) they literally have a dozen plus "interns" working in some shithole "office" in DC, none of them making a penny, and every one of them busting their rear end. They all "work" for BYT because they want to be associated with what they do, which seems insane to me since its so absurd. The ring leader of the whole thing is this lady named Svetlana, who is actually a decently cool person but she is the only one making any money whatsoever off of the whole thing, and she has no less than fifty "Photographer," "writers" and interns working for her for free.

Now the interesting part is that its not just like "hey I am with BYT, pretty cool right?," these kids will fight to the death about how BYT is the coolest poo poo on the planet. I have been confronted twice now by one specific photographer of theres, who cornered me at the 9:30 club and started yelling at me about how I "think i'm too good to shoot for BYT" and that I would shoot for them if I ever want to advance my career. I told him I couldn't shoot for free, and that my "career" as a photographer brought in $15k last year working on the side so shooting for free seems like a step back. He literally lost it and stormed off.

I am sorry for that rant.

while I certainly agree that you're in the right on that one and it's retarded to work for free... I clicked on that link and the first batch of photos I looked at were actually quite solid and didn't have any light trails.

So their loss for being idiots from a business standpoint and it's unfortunate that they are bringing the value of photography down but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater right.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

dreggory posted:

Just imagine the world's most elaborate, convoluted circlejerk session. Got it? Now picture a website about it which, itself, is jerking off the circlejerkers. It's like staring into the abyss.

hahaha, awesome description.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

MMD3 posted:

while I certainly agree that you're in the right on that one and it's retarded to work for free... I clicked on that link and the first batch of photos I looked at were actually quite solid and didn't have any light trails.

So their loss for being idiots from a business standpoint and it's unfortunate that they are bringing the value of photography down but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater right.

I just checked the site out. It looks like some of the stuff isn't bad at all, I mostly got on the rant because of their "party photos" such as these:

http://www.brightestyoungthings.com/articles/photos-passion-pit-afterparty-velvet-lounge.htm

there are a TON of sets like that, it just looks like they actually have some quality people shooting for them now, still for free though, so I'm out.

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 29, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

MMD3 posted:

Just chiming into say I didn't see any light trail photos on the first page. I saw a poo poo ton of goofy looking hipsters though

^^there we go

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
I'd probably be really bitter about the whole thing if all the ridiculous experiences and crazy stories I get out of doing something I love weren't so awesome :rock:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

dreggory posted:

I'd probably be really bitter about the whole thing if all the ridiculous experiences and crazy stories I get out of doing something I love weren't so awesome :rock:

Yeah I mean the stories are worth it. I actually just paid my car insurance with a cool story the other day.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Paying ironic bills with ironic money made at my ironic job, ironically. Like, it's soooo stupid, right, as if I'd actually think that, hence, y'know, the irony.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
You've got "potential".

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Portland, and I'm sure most other large cities, has been experiencing the exact same thing only sans the big douche-consortium site.

Anybody shooting concerts or events like what brightestyoungthings are covering are likely being paid scratch. One of our larger weekly's that I used to shoot for right out of college pays $50/photo published. It used to be pretty nice side cash when they'd use the same one or two people for all of their concert reviews but then they started bringing on more and more kids to shoot for free for their blog and then they of course started shooting for editorial so now the photog's that shoot for their music section are lucky to get one photo published every other week. having to drop your plans for a night to go shoot some band you don't care for and risk having your equipment damaged isn't worth $50 to me anymore. It was fun when I was younger but I value my time more now I guess.

The nice thing about doing that for a while though is that it opened up a bunch of doors to shoot paid events and get free access to the big music festival we have here each year. It was a good foot in the door and certainly helped me build a decent portfolio that continues to get me unsolicited paid jobs every now and then.

I guess at some point you just have to realize that's the way things have gone and you either accept it and keep doing your own thing or you throw your hands in the air and let the hipsters that can subsist on $6/hour keep partying it up while taking mediocre light-trail photos.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

MMD3 posted:

Portland, and I'm sure most other large cities, has been experiencing the exact same thing only sans the big douche-consortium site.

Anybody shooting concerts or events like what brightestyoungthings are covering are likely being paid scratch. One of our larger weekly's that I used to shoot for right out of college pays $50/photo published.

At least $50 is something, not saying I would personally shoot for $50, but its better than BYT's payscale which is $0. Sometimes they give you a plus one, which is like totally ultra hip of them.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah I mean the stories are worth it. I actually just paid my car insurance with a cool story the other day.

I never said the stories didn't involve getting paid, c'mon. I have a *little* sense of self-worth.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Haha, due to some really unrelated drama, I'm not shooting the hipster party for $20 + drinks anymore. They "no longer want a photographer."

Works for me!

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

dunkman posted:

Haha, due to some really unrelated drama, I'm not shooting the hipster party for $20 + drinks anymore. They "no longer want a photographer."

Works for me!

You sure lucked out. They probably got nine dudes with rat tails and D40's to replace you for $0 and a sixer of pbr.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Wait, rat tails are cool again?

I think every city does have groups like this- if not out roaming then there is a club photographer. We have one in Jax that is comically bothersome. He'll estalk me and post links to his pictures where I post.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Eeek posted:

Wait, rat tails are cool again?

I think every city does have groups like this- if not out roaming then there is a club photographer. We have one in Jax that is comically bothersome. He'll estalk me and post links to his pictures where I post.

Here in Norfolk, VA it's the opposite of hipsters. I've noticed that there are roaming groups of thuggish kids armed to the hilt with DSLRs. I think they're all making rap videos or bum fights.

Flower Power
Dec 5, 2007
We have the same sort of poo poo in Toronto. I used to do a little bit of party photos and big bands that would come around last summer but I got so fed up with the scene and the douchebags who run it (and severely underpay you) that I stopped doing it. Best decision I've ever made.

There's one guy in particular though that I hate more than anything. Not only is he a huge rear end in a top hat at any event I'm at, he would always push me away to "get the right shot" and act like he's the toughest poo poo the whole time. It makes me happy that he just got kicked out of film school - a few of my friends had the unfortunate luck to have him in some short film projects and he would always be too hungover from shooting and partying the night before that he would always bail.

Anyway, here are some of his shots, which he claims are "the best photographs you'll ever see in Toronto, and probably all of North America due to my extremely unique photoshop process". The worst part is most people always comment about how "SICKKKK" these photos are:

and then here are my photos of the same events, that got completely ignored and that made me leave the scene altogether... (these are of Steve Aoki and LMFAO):

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The photographers around here are pretty chill in general, and I'm on pretty good terms with a lot of them though I shoot mostly rock and metal shows, so maybe DJ photographers are more douchey, I don't know.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Flower Power posted:

Anyway, here are some of his shots, which he claims are "the best photographs you'll ever see in Toronto, and probably all of North America due to my extremely unique photoshop process". The worst part is most people always comment about how "SICKKKK" these photos are:

I think you are looking for this thread here.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Flower Power posted:

"Can you hear me? I'm stuck behind a crappy photoshop filter! Send help!"

The LA scene is pretty bad too, mostly since it's the epicenter of hipsters in the USA, so people start/kill photoblogs all the time. Most of the popular ones get so little traffic, but you know their names because they work for free at events to get their names on flyers.

Luckally for me I went into a niche nobody else was in (the artists rather than the people) so kind of have a monopoly in the industry with what I do.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Rukes posted:

"Can you hear me? I'm stuck behind a crappy photoshop filter! Send help!"

The LA scene is pretty bad too, mostly since it's the epicenter of hipsters in the USA, so people start/kill photoblogs all the time. Most of the popular ones get so little traffic, but you know their names because they work for free at events to get their names on flyers.

Luckally for me I went into a niche nobody else was in (the artists rather than the people) so kind of have a monopoly in the industry with what I do.

I hate how it's becoming more about the crowd and less about the audience. Though it does make sense. People like seeing pictures of themselves.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Am I wrong for thinking that using a flash for small venue gigs is just horrible? Yes you can get away with it more than you can at a full sized concert, but it's not really teaching you anything, it's certainly not practice for bigger concerts, and you may as well go back to taking photos of your pretty cats if it's just about the subject matter.

Anyway, to share.

edit: For the record, these blokes here absolutely killed the live event photography scene in Wellington, New Zealand. It got to the point where if you wern't shooting for them, and were actually interested in shooting the performance, rather than "HEY HOT CHICK LOOK HERE, IT'LL BE ON FACEBOOK" crowd lighttrail shots - you were basically turned away.

So I'm loving thankful that there's nothing much like that in Melbourne, Australia (where I am now)

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 2, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Cyberbob posted:

Am I wrong for thinking that using a flash for small venue gigs is just horrible?

Unless you've got a Nikon D3S or Canon 5D Mark II, there will inevitably be times you'll have to use a flash. Small venues can't always afford decent lighting or even half decent lighting and then if you're shooting a band that moves around a lot, it'll be even tougher. It's one thing to shoot a singer-songwriter sitting down and playing a guitar, it's another to shoot a punk band jumping around in a glorified basement.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

HPL posted:

Unless you've got a Nikon D3S or Canon 5D Mark II, there will inevitably be times you'll have to use a flash. Small venues can't always afford decent lighting or even half decent lighting and then if you're shooting a band that moves around a lot, it'll be even tougher. It's one thing to shoot a singer-songwriter sitting down and playing a guitar, it's another to shoot a punk band jumping around in a glorified basement.

Exactly, the only time that I end up not using flash is if I am shooting at 1.4 and have the ISO cranked:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Small venues can't always afford decent lighting or even half decent lighting and then if you're shooting a band that moves around a lot, it'll be even tougher. It's one thing to shoot a singer-songwriter sitting down and playing a guitar, it's another to shoot a punk band jumping around in a glorified basement.
This 100%. Timing peak action and poo poo like that you can learn at small venues, but not using the flash will not make you any better. If anything, you'll learn to balance it properly against stage lights.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

When it comes to shooting concerts I feel like it's silly to avoid certain techniques for any reason other than "I don't like the way that looks". Just because light trails are popular with Douche-bag hipsters and just because you can't use flash at big shows doesn't mean you can't use those techniques to get great shots. At the end of the day, all that matters are the pictures you take. Take the pictures you like, because odds are they'll come out way better than forcing yourself into some tiny box.

Also if you feel concerned about using flash, ask the band. I have yet to find a band who cares about it. One band even told me that they liked the flashes going off, he basically said it made them feel like they were doing well because "You don't take pictures of lovely bands". (Jokes on him, I've taken plenty of pictures of lovely bands).

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 2, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I just found out that I might get a chance to do a promo shoot with Serj Tankian from System of a Down in October. Man I hope that one comes through.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I started out at small clubs with really bad light. There was pretty much no way you could get a shot even with super fast glass and noised ISO shots. However, I learned to bounce it, diffuse it and mask it. I learn a huge amount about shooting doing that.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Punk (well pop-punk/hardcore) bands jumping around in basements/tiny rear end venues with lovely lighting is what I shoot mostly and nobody has any issue with flash. If I'm shooting an acoustic set or something with not a whole ton of movement (or a brightly lit big venue) I won't be using flash.

I mean hell, I've literally shot in a basement before which the only real lighting was christmas lights

If I didn't have a flash I would be screwed

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Punk (well pop-punk/hardcore) bands jumping around in basements/tiny rear end venues with lovely lighting is what I shoot mostly and nobody has any issue with flash. If I'm shooting an acoustic set or something with not a whole ton of movement (or a brightly lit big venue) I won't be using flash.

I mean hell, I've literally shot in a basement before which the only real lighting was christmas lights

If I didn't have a flash I would be screwed

Not bad. I'm sorry but that looks like the most miserable time I have ever seen in my life. Do you enjoy going to those "shows" or do you go just to take photos? It would probably be fun if you were into that type of music but if you are just going to take photos...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Not bad. I'm sorry but that looks like the most miserable time I have ever seen in my life. Do you enjoy going to those "shows" or do you go just to take photos? It would probably be fun if you were into that type of music but if you are just going to take photos...

House shows are a thousand times more fun. If you're even reasonably competent with a camera you can get stupid drunk for free (if that's your thing), and you get all kinds of amazing shots that you'd NEVER get at a venue. Incidentally, there's always more women at house shows. There's less bullshit moshing, so your gear is usually safer (except from theft, it's more likely at a house show) and you get to meet and interact with way more people. The entire vibe is just so much nicer, more positive, and everyone is more relaxed and willing to have fun. As both a musician and a photographer, I prefer house shows. The networking is so much better, the show itself is more fun, and if there's money to be had the bands will get a fair cut of it. At the very least, you'll walk out with free drinks, at least one cool story and if you can network worth a drat you can pick up a few potential models. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you don't like music though. At least around here, most house shows are super eclectic ranging from hardcore, doom metal, pop-punk and folk all on one bill.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 4, 2010