Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Wibbleman posted:

... The ME163 had wings for lift and a rocket for thrust, and worked pretty well for its design envelope.

Flying for 15 minutes then crashing? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

MrChips posted:

I know it's an abbreviation. And if you can show me an abstract or a paper that refers to this engine as a "SCRamjet" instead of "scramjet", then I'll believe you.

Jesus christ you pedantic, intolerable weenies. Look at what you're arguing about. LOOK.

Shut up and post hot radial engines.

Whoops!

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MrChips posted:

The scramjet is pretty much the most likely ticket to affordable, reliable transportation to orbit, especially if researchers can iron out the kinks with regard to burning conventional hydrocarbon fuels.

So if I'm understanding correctly, there are two options for building a SSTO lifter:

1) Use a rocket but lug your oxidizer around with you. This has the advantage of simplicity and atmosphere/speed independence, but taking oxidizer requires a heavier fuselage to carry more weight, which in turn requires more fuel, leading quickly to larger scale craft and increased fuel requirements for a given payload.

2) Use a turbine/ram/scramjet hybrid to burn air to attain orbital speed in the atmosphere. This has the advantage of being relatively efficient for a given payload mass, since a higher ratio of the lifter's loaded weight is used for payload (versus fuel). The drawbacks include the need for a separate thrust system in order to function without atmospheric oxygen and the obvious (significant) engineering hurdles involved in building a craft powered by four separate paradigms of propulsion which must survive mach 25+ speeds within the atmosphere.

Sound about right?

^^^ Fine, how about some UGLY radial engines in charming but ugly helicopters:

Even though it's a funny place to stick a radial engine in a heli, I suppose Sikorsky had his reasons for using a 1931-vintage engine for his otherwise modern chopper...

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sterndotstern posted:

Even though it's a funny place to stick a rotary engine in a heli, I suppose Sikorsky had his reasons for using a 1931-vintage engine for his otherwise modern chopper...

I understand now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonzoesc/2220032567/in/set-72157603795819604/

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

Even though it's a funny place to stick a rotary engine in a heli, I suppose Sikorsky had his reasons for using a 1931-vintage engine for his otherwise modern chopper...

Sikorsky used radial engines into the early 1950's due to the simple fact that turboshaft engines capable of powering a helicopter hadn't been developed yet.

Turboshafts were first developed in the late 1940's, but it wasn't until the mid 1950's that they were refined to the point of making the large radial engines obsolete.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet. The oxidizer weighs something like four times as much as your fuel does. So ditching the oxidizer doesn't just save you "half the weight" it saves you 4/5 of the weight! That has massive effects on structure.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

More stuff...

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
God that ME-262 is so loving sexy.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah it is.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.

LOO posted:

Yeah it is.

I'm sure you guys already knew all about this - but some guys have been building replicas up in Washington, and they are GORGEOUS.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nerobro posted:

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet. The oxidizer weighs something like four times as much as your fuel does. So ditching the oxidizer doesn't just save you "half the weight" it saves you 4/5 of the weight! That has massive effects on structure.

Ah, perspective, thanks. I looked up the shuttle tank -- 4/5 of it is hydrogen tank, only the nose piece is oxygen, but the oxygen weighs 6 times as much.

So the real trick for scramjets is fueling? Currently they use hydrogen, which is hard to package, so what are the dense alternatives?

I imagine trouble with scramjet fuel is the time required to extract energy from combustion. You basically have to use hydrogen fuel because you have less than 1msec of burn time unless you build a really long engine. Even F1 cars have almost 3ms of burn time.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Sterndotstern posted:

Ah, perspective, thanks. I looked up the shuttle tank -- 4/5 of it is hydrogen tank, only the nose piece is oxygen, but the oxygen weighs 6 times as much.

I wonder what crazy CG fuckery was going on when they decided to put the oxygen at the top of the fuel tank?

I've always figured (never actually looked it up) that the shuttle must have some wacky CG and mass distribution going on. The midsection is almost completely empty cargo bay (on landing, anyway), which a bunch of mass at the back from 5 engines (the three mains and the two OMS), and all the life-support/creature comforts/squishy humans up front. Must have a pretty huge moment of inertia compared to aircraft that are in the same size/weight range with all that weight as far forward and back as it can get.

Where is the fuel for the OMS engines stored?

quote:

So the real trick for scramjets is fueling? Currently they use hydrogen, which is hard to package, so what are the dense alternatives?

I imagine trouble with scramjet fuel is the time required to extract energy from combustion. You basically have to use hydrogen fuel because you have less than 1msec of burn time unless you build a really long engine. Even F1 cars have almost 3ms of burn time.

Well, Kerosene is already used as rocket fuel (RP-1) and jet fuel. The mass ratio between kerosene and oxidizer is way lower than it is for hydrogen/oxygen (3.5 compared to 8 at the stoichiometric ratio), which is probably the main reason it's used in rockets. Don't know how it is about burn speed, that's not really my area.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

ApathyGifted posted:

Well, Kerosene is already used as rocket fuel (RP-1) and jet fuel. The mass ratio between kerosene and oxidizer is way lower than it is for hydrogen/oxygen (3.5 compared to 8 at the stoichiometric ratio), which is probably the main reason it's used in rockets. Don't know how it is about burn speed, that's not really my area.

Kerosene is used because it is denser (space efficient), although it is heavier for a given energy quantity. In a first stage, such enormous volumes are necessary that the structure to hold cryogenic hydrogen would be expensive and also would negate much of the weight advantage. That's why the Saturn V used kerosene in the first stage but hydrogen in the upper stages.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Sterndotstern posted:

So if I'm understanding correctly, there are two options for building a SSTO lifter:

1) Use a rocket but lug your oxidizer around with you. This has the advantage of simplicity and atmosphere/speed independence, but taking oxidizer requires a heavier fuselage to carry more weight, which in turn requires more fuel, leading quickly to larger scale craft and increased fuel requirements for a given payload.

2) Use a turbine/ram/scramjet hybrid to burn air to attain orbital speed in the atmosphere. This has the advantage of being relatively efficient for a given payload mass, since a higher ratio of the lifter's loaded weight is used for payload (versus fuel). The drawbacks include the need for a separate thrust system in order to function without atmospheric oxygen and the obvious (significant) engineering hurdles involved in building a craft powered by four separate paradigms of propulsion which must survive mach 25+ speeds within the atmosphere.

Sound about right?

^^^ Fine, how about some UGLY radial engines in charming but ugly helicopters:

Jesus... I'd really love to see the shaft arrangement in that thing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

sandoz posted:

H-19 (the middle one)

Westlan Wessex, a turboshaft powered version of the H-34. (the first and last ones are H-34s)

River Raid
Apr 2, 2004

GODDAMN I AM A HUGE MORON! WITH A JETPLANE OF STUPID!

joat mon posted:

H-19 (the middle one)

Westlan Wessex, a turboshaft powered version of the H-34. (the first and last ones are H-34s)

One of my dad's friends used to fly H-34s. Said he would piss the bed at night everytime he even thought about having to put one down in water. Since the pilots sit so loving high and the balance of it making it immediately flip when it touches down in it.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LOO posted:

McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.

The most beautiful fighter ever.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

River Raid posted:

One of my dad's friends used to fly H-34s. Said he would piss the bed at night everytime he even thought about having to put one down in water. Since the pilots sit so loving high and the balance of it making it immediately flip when it touches down in it.

I'd be more worried about the driveshaft whirling around between me and my copilot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There are few planes that get me excited like a camo F-4. One of my best (and earliest) Air Force moments was just a couple of days after reporting to my first assignment, Tyndall AFB. US 98 runs right through the middle of the base, separating the flightline from the rest of the base. Tyndall is home to a unit that flies QF-4s (literally remotely piloted F-4 Phantoms) in combat simulations...manned fighters will actually engage and shoot them down so pilots get to actually experience real missile launches and whatnot. The QF-4s are painted grey and orange. But there's one F-4 they bring out for the airshows, and actually use a pilot to fly, and it's in full up camo paint. At the time, Tyndall was also the home of the F-15C schoolhouse, although over the past couple of years that pipeline has been moved to Oregon so the F-15s are gone. :( Tyndall is also where the F-22 schoolhouse is.

So I was at a red light at the gate about to leave the non-flightline side to get on 98, and I see an F-4 take off...the camouflage one. AWESOME! About 15 seconds later a pair of F-15Cs go roaring after it. YES! Then a pair of F-22s. :flashfap: All in the span of one red light.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

sandoz posted:

joat mon posted:

H-19 (the middle one)

I was thinking the exact same thing and I knew AI would pull through for me.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Couple more Phantom shots I like.

River Raid
Apr 2, 2004

GODDAMN I AM A HUGE MORON! WITH A JETPLANE OF STUPID!

sandoz posted:

I'd be more worried about the driveshaft whirling around between me and my copilot.

I'll have to ask him next time I see him if that was something that bothered him or if he just kept that out of mind. He flew a lot of missions around the Gulf coast and near the North Vietnam border calling artillery in them. So the ocean always being close probably made the fear of a water landing that much more real.

He always said he respected the Army for being smarter than the Marines for not deploying those deathtraps in Vietnam. Told me he was thrilled the day he transferred to a UH-1 squadron even if it meant more dangerous missions.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Spent all last weekend at the Great Minnesota Air Show, volunteering for the CAF and taking pictures.

Blue Angels sneak pass

Blue Angels

An EA-6B Prowler (one of the static displays) leaving at the end of the show.

The F-22 Raptor

We also got a private tour of the Raptor from the team superintendent. Awesome plane! (I'm in the white shirt)

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

LOO posted:

Couple more Phantom shots I like.

Awesome pics, thanks for posting them! I used to live a few miles from Gowen Field in Boise, Idaho where these would fly over my house DAILY. They're pretty much the reason I became an aviation nerd.

pbpancho posted:

blue angels & stuff
Awesome shots. They're coming to Idaho in a few weeks. I'm so loving stoked.

NurSpec fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 1, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Have some more Angels

Seahawk doing a mock refueling

B-17 dropping a deadly payload of... watermelons

Not my best, but I liked them when they were taken

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ursa_minor posted:

I'm sure you guys already knew all about this - but some guys have been building replicas up in Washington, and they are GORGEOUS.

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this existed. To make it better I live pretty much right on the approach to Paine Field and more then once have glanced out my window and seen the Dreamlifter. I can't tell if they're currently flying the thing, but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled from now on.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Have some more Angels

Not my best, but I liked them when they were taken

These are both fantastic shots and utterly staggering displays of human ability. Nothing impresses the mind like perfect control.

Edit: recommend a polarizing filter for your next sunny day

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sterndotstern posted:

These are both fantastic shots and utterly staggering displays of human ability. Nothing impresses the mind like perfect control.

What makes it even more impressive is that those guys fly without the benefit of a G-suit.

Due to the precision required for that kind of flying, Blue Angel pilots fly bracing their right arms on their right thighs, and since G-suits use inflatable bladders on the abdomen and legs, the suit would jostle the stick whenever it inflated.

To compensate for the fact that most of the formation maneuvers pull about 4G's (the solo pilots pull close to 7), the pilots have to tense up their abdominal and leg muscles during maneuvers to keep from blacking out.

After the team experienced a fatal crash while practicing for a show in 1999 (caused by a pilot blacking out in a high G turn), the Navy considered forcing the team to wear G-suits, but relented after it was determined that the accident pilot was suffering from a rib injury that kept him from tensing up properly during flight.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sterndotstern posted:

On a completely different topic, a while ago I posted that air-burning, air-flying technology reached its logical conclusion in approximately 1965 and stated (somewhat controversially) that we're "done" with aircraft. I never got to ask the obvious follow-up question: Where is the next great unsolved problem for aerospace engineering?

Late to th' party but I'd say making LTA craft reliable and durable. I think the technology is already there; it just needs to be applied.

Of course it's no secret that I'm a airship fanboy so

fake edit: How about aircraft carrier submarines?

real edit: images

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 2, 2010

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nebakenezzer posted:

Late to th' party but I'd say making LTA craft reliable and durable. I think the technology is already there; it just needs to be applied.

Of course it's no secret that I'm a airship fanboy so

One thing I really like about the notion of lighter-than-air first stages launching liquid-fueled rockets is a synergy in their fueling needs. They both basically run on hydrogen and oxygen which can be easily obtained my electrolyzing water down at the surface.

I think it's loving retarded to burn coal to electrolyze water when we've already proven that we can make even heavier-than-air craft fly using solar power. Imagine how easy it would be if you didn't have to lose altitude all loving night! Use the excess lifting capacity to lift and electrolyze water to provide fuel for rockets.

Edit: poo poo, someone tell me a way to build the hydrogen cells out of salt and we can go get some venture capital from Elon Musk.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'll see your B-36 and raise you a B-36 with a B-58 back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxrwpur_Op8&feature=related

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 2, 2010

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea this existed. To make it better I live pretty much right on the approach to Paine Field and more then once have glanced out my window and seen the Dreamlifter. I can't tell if they're currently flying the thing, but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled from now on.

quote:

During flight testing in November 2006, a Cessna 172 being used for a training flight encountered the 747 LCF's wake turbulence while on approach to Boeing Field. The small aircraft was accidentally inverted and lost 1,000 feet (300 m) of altitude before the instructor pilot was able to regain control at just 150 feet (46 m).

From the wiki. I hate it when I get accidentally inverted.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
One of the coolest aeronautical feats ever has to be Operation Chastise. Did you like skipping rocks across lakes when you were a kid? Try it from an airplane!

Operation Chastise was a mission to destroy several German dams during WW2. It involved the Avro Lancaster and some serious outside-the-box thinking.

quote:

A much-smaller explosive charge would suffice, if it could be exploded directly against the dam wall below the surface of the water, but the major German reservoir dams were protected by heavy torpedo nets to prevent such an attack.

Air Vice-Marshal Ralph Cochrane, Wing Commander Guy Gibson, King George VI and Group Captain John Whitworth discussing the Dambuster Raid in May 1943Wallis' breakthrough overcame this. A drum-shaped bomb spinning backwards at over 500 rpm, dropped at a sufficiently low altitude at the correct speed, would skip for a significant distance over the surface of the water in a series of bounces before reaching the dam wall. Its residual spin would run the bomb down the side of the dam to its underwater base. Using a hydrostatic fuse, an accurate drop could bypass the dam's defences and enable the bomb to explode against the dam.

quote:

Bombing from an altitude of 60 ft (18 m), at an air speed of 240 mph (390 km/h), and at a pre-selected distance from the target called for expert crews. Intensive night-time and low-altitude flight training began.

There were also technical problems to solve, the first one being to determine when the aircraft was at optimum distance from its target. Both the Möhne and Eder Dams had towers at each end. A special targeting device with two prongs, making the same angle as the two towers at the correct distance from the dam, showed when to release the bomb.

The second problem was determining the aircraft's altitude (barometric altimeters then in use lacked sufficient accuracy). Two spotlights were mounted, one under the aircraft's nose and the other under the fuselage, so that at the correct height their light beams would converge on the surface of the water.

Did it work? Yes!

quote:

When I was about 150 miles from the Möhne Dam, I could see the industrial haze over the Ruhr area and what appeared to be a cloud to the east. On flying closer, I saw that what had seemed to be cloud was the sun shining on the floodwaters.
I looked down into the deep valley which had seemed so peaceful three days before [on an earlier reconnaissance mission] but now it was a wide torrent.

The whole valley of the river was inundated with only patches of high ground and the tops of trees and church steeples showing above the flood. I was overcome by the immensity of it.

With the 4th this weekend, if you haven't skipped bottle rockets or mortars accross a lake, you're missing out! Lay the rockets or mortar tube horizontal on the shore/dock and light em off! Also, shoot the bottle rockets straight down into the water and feel the tiny explosion deep underwater through the dock!

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 2, 2010

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Vitamin J posted:

Dambusters!
For the sake of completeness, :britain::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIJqF8av6I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKHc-U2FNHk

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

azflyboy posted:

After the team experienced a fatal crash while practicing for a show in 1999 (caused by a pilot blacking out in a high G turn), the Navy considered forcing the team to wear G-suits, but relented after it was determined that the accident pilot was suffering from a rib injury that kept him from tensing up properly during flight.

Don't forget the crash in 2007 which was also attributed to GLOC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Blue_Angels_South_Carolina_crash

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

More stuff.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Just found this...

Just a bit of crosswind.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LOO posted:

That's some beautiful camo. Is it real? If so, what's it for?

Sterndotstern posted:

I'll see your B-36 and raise you a B-36 with a B-58 back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxrwpur_Op8&feature=related

:aaa:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LOO posted:

More stuff.

Phantoms make me feel :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's some beautiful camo. Is it real? If so, what's it for?

The Aggressors (they pretend to be the bad guys in exercises) up in Alaska. The Aggressors at Nellis use similar paint schemes, but different colors. I'll try to dig up some pics.

Edit:

Click here for the full 1373x915 image.

I also love the Aggressor colors.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 4, 2010