Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I beat Deus Ex the other day and went straight into Invisible War. They should have really lead on the PC instead of the console, maybe the areas would be bigger and the frequent loading times wouldn't be a problem. But I think it's a decent game, to be honest, but the biggest gripe I have with the game is the utterly stupid universal ammo system they had. The lack of a skill system like the first game was a bit of a buzz kill, but universal ammo takes the cake. My handgun should not share ammo with a flame thrower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

The first level is the worst because you have no skills or augs or weapons and all you can do is shoot people really poorly with a pistol. Play through Hell's Kitchen, which is I think like another hour of gameplay, and if you still don't like it then you are not a Deus Ex man I guess.

This is my first proper playthrough and i didn't enjoy Hells Kitchen any more than Liberty Island. I don't think they are terrible missions like some people though. Once i got to Lebedev and had to make a proper choice, that's when i understood that the game is pretty awesome.

So far i'm in Hong Kong and kickin' rear end.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

The first level is the worst because you have no skills or augs or weapons and all you can do is shoot people really poorly with a pistol. Play through Hell's Kitchen, which is I think like another hour of gameplay, and if you still don't like it then you are not a Deus Ex man I guess.
I don't suppose there's some easy way to skip the first level without missing anything? Maybe a fan-made thingy that lets me just set all the choices I would have made?

It's what almost always makes me avoid starting up Deus Ex again. "Oh joy, THAT level again..."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shalinor posted:

I don't suppose there's some easy way to skip the first level without missing anything? Maybe a fan-made thingy that lets me just set all the choices I would have made?

It's what almost always makes me avoid starting up Deus Ex again. "Oh joy, THAT level again..."

It's not THAT bad. I think it's actually a pretty cool level to start off with because from the very first moments you have a thousand and one ways to progress through the game, whether it be sneaking shooting stealing talking or whatever. When I first started playing there were still some "whoa, that was badass" moments very early on, which made me just want to play more and more.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

SuitDude posted:

The linear progression style is gone in favor of a sandboxy type city with different areas that you access via the subway. This would be cool, except that traversing any of the main areas without the speed aug is REALLY boring. I keep feeling like if I just play a little longer then it'll start to get good, but that hasn't happened yet.
I really loving hated the premise, but I thought to myself that I should play more until I hit the "meat" of the mod since it took them this long to make it. Well, there was a bunch of internet forum persona chatting and a bunch of crappy inside jokes, catchphrases and overall silliness. I was running around, trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on while being bombarded by silly voice acting, collecting cash, checking the sewers and poo poo, and I decided to give up because the mod just didn't seem to have something I could bite in.

But then I actually found something to bite in, hard.

It was when I went to check out WorldCorp and accidently ended up inside the lower complexes and research & security stations via the sewers (and after finding some secrets down there). All of the sudden, it wasn't about unregistered pubbies spewing crap, it was about infiltration and taking down enemies, breaking into places, hacking into computers and piecing together intel... all of a sudden I was playing More of Deus Ex.

So, yeah, there's a good game in there. But unfortunately it's been covered up under a fat, fat layer of "unfunny internet forums bullshit" and don't go and tell me it's not that bad, because it is. This just makes me even more sad because it just gets so good later on.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Tecman posted:

I really loving hated the premise, but I thought to myself that I should play more until I hit the "meat" of the mod since it took them this long to make it. Well, there was a bunch of internet forum persona chatting and a bunch of crappy inside jokes, catchphrases and overall silliness. I was running around, trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on while being bombarded by silly voice acting, collecting cash, checking the sewers and poo poo, and I decided to give up because the mod just didn't seem to have something I could bite in.

But then I actually found something to bite in, hard.

It was when I went to check out WorldCorp and accidently ended up inside the lower complexes and research & security stations via the sewers (and after finding some secrets down there). All of the sudden, it wasn't about unregistered pubbies spewing crap, it was about infiltration and taking down enemies, breaking into places, hacking into computers and piecing together intel... all of a sudden I was playing More of Deus Ex.

So, yeah, there's a good game in there. But unfortunately it's been covered up under a fat, fat layer of "unfunny internet forums bullshit" and don't go and tell me it's not that bad, because it is. This just makes me even more sad because it just gets so good later on.

Pretty much this. If you can get past the premise (which fades into the background once they've set everything up) then it's pretty cool and basically "More Deus Ex".

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Think I'll try and slog through the Nameless mod my next playthrough. I'm just going to do my best to pretend that it's some Neuromancer meta-reality until the lolz disappear.

Anyway, I've never played DX:IW and have no intention to, but have there been any attempts to correct its flaws via mods and such? I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has managed to hew out the good parts, sand away the good ones, and make it a little more like Deus Ex.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Was DX:IW really that bad or is it just a mediocre sequel to a truly excellent game? I've never played it simply because I've never even heard anything about it.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

In Training posted:

Was DX:IW really that bad or is it just a mediocre sequel to a truly excellent game? I've never played it simply because I've never even heard anything about it.

Mediocre sequel that probably could never have lived up to the hope anyway. How do you follow up a solid contender for greatest game ever made? There were some stupid gameplay decisions made, the game was very limited by the console memory restrictions, and there was internal drama that resulted in the game being shipped in a terribly unoptimized state. Other than that it's decent and worth playing through if you can get it for cheap.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Shalinor posted:

Just speedrun up the statue (you can get in the front doors without ever talking to Filben by hacking the panel next to them) and talk to the leader at the top. This gets rid of all the NSF so you can freely go run around and fetch the items you might want (Laser mod in the underground storage area behind the statue, sawed off shotgun in the sunken barge off Filben's docks) and then move on. Alternatively, activate cheats (Edit your Deus Ex desktop shortcut and make the end of the Target area look like DeusEx\System\DeusEx.exe -hax0r), and ingame hit T, backspace over the "say" that defaults in the text box that pops up, and use these console commands ingame:

"ghost" to fly up to the NSF leader, through walls etc.
"walk" to become solid/gravity-bound again (I don't think you need this to talk to the guy, you can skip this step possibly until you're at UNACTO HQ)
To get the items you would've found, use "summon x". Replace X with:
WeaponMiniCrossbow
WeaponRifle
WeaponSawedOffShotgun
Weaponmodlaser
(Get the GEP gun from paul at the start dock)
Lockpick
MedKit
Multitool

I dunno exactly and in what quantities you get poo poo from the intro, just summon what you feel is right I guess.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I love Liberty Island. Every time I play I try to do something different. Like on my last complete playthrough I went through the front door for the first time ever. I think it's actually easier than going in the back way as long as you can take out the bot.

And not too long ago I started up the game and killed every single NSF member on the island with just the crowbar. That was a little refreshing.

jazman84
Aug 23, 2007
Bow Chicka Wow Wow..

Shalinor posted:

Watch this speed run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlNko3V2aHM

Just Grab the Smoke Grenade from the box to the left as soon as you enter the island of the dock. Then Throw it at the Unatco front door and someone will open it.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

In Training posted:

The general consensus is: there are much better games to play and much better things you can do with your free time than to spend it on DX:IW.

Completely separating it from the original DX, and just looking at it as a standalone game, and judging it by it's own merits, DX:IW is a bad game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My favorite way to quickly get through liberty island is to take a right when you first enter the area and go around to the back, to the bunker with the laser sight. Then I hop up the boxes, enter the highest door, and sneak up to the commander's room (as long as you're moving slowly, the two guys in the gas grenade area and the two guys in the room above that won't hear you). Dealing with guards is easy, you don't need skill points in anything; just hit them with the taser (you don't even need to be sneaky, tasing their face works) and then run around behind them and hit them in the head with a crowbar or knife, they die in one hit (this might only work on easy and realistic, and obviously on realistic you need to be very careful not to get shot). Once you get the laser sight you can stick it on your pistol and use that if you want. Or if you want to hold out for the stealth pistol, just keep tasing and stabbing.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
I've been playing through DX:IW tonight, just because I'd never beaten it. I completely disagree with you guys. The game itself is simply loving terrible.

Wonky controls, lovely inventory system, bizarrely set-up and very limited biomod system, essentially useless weapon mods, tiny TINY areas between loads, the list just goes on.

If you really want to know the difference, look at the nightclub level in DX, and then look at the nightclub level in DX:IW. IN DX:IW there is one dude on the dance floor. They built a whole nightclub level, and in the whole thing there are four patrons. No, that is not story related. Its just lazy poo poo.

I just noticed tonight that all the bathrooms have the same sinks as the kitchens. To the point where they extended the sink area in the bathrooms just to make room for this massively oversized sink. Before you think I'm just spergin' it was noticing that that made me see just how many textures and basic room shapes are repeated over and over and over.

If Halo 1 is lazy because its a copy/paste hallway, it's child was this poo poo.

That having been said, the writing and storyline are pretty okay. Its just that the game itself is pretty drat bad.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I could stomach everything about DX:IW except the universal ammo. I just felt like that completely broke the game. I just couldn't bring myself to use my weapons for fear I would run out of EVERYTHING unintentionally loving myself over.

I beat IW once. With cheats/god mode. I regret nothing. :colbert:

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Happy Bear Suit posted:

The general consensus is: there are much better games to play and much better things you can do with your free time than to spend it on DX:IW.

Completely separating it from the original DX, and just looking at it as a standalone game, and judging it by it's own merits, DX:IW is a bad game.

plus all the characters look like scary martin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjImwACuh7w

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

XausF1 posted:

I could stomach everything about DX:IW except the universal ammo. I just felt like that completely broke the game. I just couldn't bring myself to use my weapons for fear I would run out of EVERYTHING unintentionally loving myself over.

My solution to that is a tonfa and a street samurai build (extra melee damage, speed aug, hacking for if I need it, regeneration and electrostatic discharge). Run in, use baton on the back of everyone's head, explore level.

BennyHillsraeli
Nov 7, 2009

The big society

Tecman posted:

Well that's just it, isn't it. For the amount of time and effort they spent on it, they could have done something genuinely brilliant, taking the Deus Ex storyline off into a completely different direction. Instead they buggered about with in-jokes and other rubbish. Awful shame.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

BennyHillsraeli posted:

Well that's just it, isn't it. For the amount of time and effort they spent on it, they could have done something genuinely brilliant, taking the Deus Ex storyline off into a completely different direction. Instead they buggered about with in-jokes and other rubbish. Awful shame.

There's a postmortem floating around that discusses this:

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/749/postmortem_the_nameless_.php

What Went Wrong posted:

5. Our project is a PR nightmare

The final and perhaps the hardest problem we faced was making people understand that our game wasn't poo poo. We'd spent a lot of time making sure that people wouldn't be alienated by our game and that we had plenty of depth and internal consistency to keep everybody interested, but we'd completely underestimated what a huge turn-off the basic idea of the mod was to so many people. Every site where we published our trailer, and every forum thread where people began to discuss the mod, one sentiment would immediately surface like a knee-jerk reflex: What an idiotic concept. Why would anybody spend seven years working on this fan-boy circle-jerk of a game?

We were pretty crestfallen. We'd gone to such lengths to make sure TNM was a game, not just a joke, and many people wouldn't even give it a chance because they immediately assumed the worst. But to make matters worse, we came to realize that we'd frontloaded all the internet references, the fan culture and the memes and the in-jokes right in the first mission of the game.

Part of this was unavoidable. The first mission served by necessity to introduce the player to our setting, so all the opaque references and internet semiotics were presented to you immediately. Once out of the first introductory hub area, the setting would quickly slip into the back seat to leave room for the plot itself, but too many people seemed to never reach it, having lost all interest long before then. Since The Nameless Mod is free to download, we have no demo, but in terms of convincing people to invest their time in playing through TNM, that introduction area is all we have, and it seems to be doing a rather poor job.

Perhaps our greatest mistake was to tell people that The Nameless Mod was inspired by a real community that existed on the internet at one point in time. I suspect people in general would be a lot more susceptible to our quirky cyberspace setting if they thought we'd just invented it as a Snow Crash-esque sci-fi take on the internet, because then they wouldn't associate us with the reviled genre of "forum fan fiction" to begin with, and once playing the game, they wouldn't be expecting in-jokes everywhere. Much of the feedback we've received has implied that people constantly see in-jokes and obscure references when by far most of the game's fiction was either invented specifically to suit the plot or the setting or twisted so far out of its original shape that it no longer bears any resemblance to the events or the people it was inspired by.

A well-known games journalist graciously defending our concept wrote: "no wonder everyone makes games with space marines being gruff". I'd like to think people are generally open to new concepts, but I'll admit that our premise and our setting do us no favors. Not, however, because TNM is too weird -- there have been many successful games far stranger than The Nameless Mod and our world is quite recognizable when it comes down to it. But at the same time it reminds people of a genre of fiction that is almost never executed well. If we'd managed to set ourselves further apart from that genre with all the PR material we sent out, and if we'd done more to change people's expectations before firing up the game, I think we'd had a much easier sell.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Deus-Ex has pretty much every conspiracy known to man worked in to the storyline but still no mention of "The Jews" being behind everything which is a common factor in many conspiracy theories.

I would personally find it funny if Deus-Ex 3 had a mission where you infiltrated the secret base of the people who were behind the conspiracy and it turned out to be "The Jews", not just a group whose members are Jewish but every single Jewish person. You would hack their mainframe and a giant star of David as well as information about various conspiracies would appear on the screen and Jensen would be all "My god, it was The Jews all along".
That would probably cause a bit of a shitstorm in the media though due to being horribly anti-semitic.

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Deus-Ex has pretty much every conspiracy known to man worked in to the storyline but still no mention of "The Jews" being behind everything which is a common factor in many conspiracy theories.

I would personally find it funny if Deus-Ex 3 had a mission where you infiltrated the secret base of the people who were behind the conspiracy and it turned out to be "The Jews", not just a group whose members are Jewish but every single Jewish person. You would hack their mainframe and a giant star of David as well as information about various conspiracies would appear on the screen and Jensen would be all "My god, it was The Jews all along".
That would probably cause a bit of a shitstorm in the media though due to being horribly anti-semitic.

That would make my jaw drop so fast my mandibles would unhinge. Holy cow. Especially if it's not even suggested at any point before that. Even in DX there's that water treatment facility in Hell's Kitchen that explicitly says MJ12 is monitoring the NSF warehouse in the area.
I can't imagine how hot the controversy would be (good game or not) on Hannity, Nancy Grace and Olbermann.

You are right that it's a little weird to not mention Jewish banking conspiracies despite JC visiting the Templar cathedral with the gold reserves; Everett mentioning Philip the Fair, the Rothschilds, the Crusades and the Nazis; as well as datacubes about the founding of the Knights Templar and therefore their power in France and Spain, the exodus of Muslims and Jews from Spain and the downfall of Spain due to the loss of the merchants and bankers.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

That would be amusing, if nothing else.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I've never understood conspiracy theories attempting to incorporate the entire Judaic population when it's primarily the Rothschilds you'd actually be talking about. And it's been said early on in their history that they don't care who controls the laws as long as they control the money. Which makes sense. I could only be entirely literal in saying they really are above any law if they choose to be.
So, no. Not surprised at a lack of a "The Jews" megaconspiracy. I usually take that to be xenophobia and a misguided suspicion attributable to a mainstream lack of familiarity with the religion/culture because they don't proselytize.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Astroturf Man posted:

There's a postmortem floating around that discusses this:

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/749/postmortem_the_nameless_.php

I love how their defense boils down to "Well, obviously they're just threatened by the idea of a game with a unique premise, how about you just go scamper off and play something with a gruff bald space marine instead :smug:" without actually listening to any criticism.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

OregonDonor posted:

That would be amusing, if nothing else.
Really? Funny, because I think it would be outrageously bigoted, and stupid even for an easter egg.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love how their defense boils down to "Well, obviously they're just threatened by the idea of a game with a unique premise, how about you just go scamper off and play something with a gruff bald space marine instead :smug:" without actually listening to any criticism.

Did you read a different article? That's in the "where we hosed up" section of the postmortem, and they actually say:

"I'd like to think people are generally open to new concepts, but I'll admit that our premise and our setting do us no favors. Not, however, because TNM is too weird -- there have been many successful games far stranger than The Nameless Mod and our world is quite recognizable when it comes down to it. But at the same time it reminds people of a genre of fiction that is almost never executed well."

The gruff space marine thing was a quote from a games journalist.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
I've started playing DX2 (terrible decision I know) and every time it changes area, minimises to desktop and changes desktop resolution, then changes back to DX2 resolution and starts loading again. Is there any way to stop this (this minimising bullshit makes the loading screens about twice as long easily)

Also, yes, jumping on the 'xbox ruins everything dx2 is terrible' bandwagon

And why does everyone adopt the 'penguin' pose when standing still? It's really starting to get to me

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
^^^ the jump to desktop thing happens to everyone, the game is just flawed.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only way this would be funny is if it turned out that the so-called "jewish conspiracy" was a front propagated by someone else to keep the ignorant masses looking in the wrong direction. Other than that it would just be stupid and mean-spirited.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hogburto posted:

I've never understood conspiracy theories attempting to incorporate the entire Judaic population when it's primarily the Rothschilds you'd actually be talking about.

People who believe in conspiracy theories aren't generally very smart.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
All this discussion of DX2 made me start playing it again. Couldn't get through Seattle without giving up.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
So what is the coup attempt against President Mead that Atanwe talks about in Paris?

FreudianSlippers posted:

The J in JC Denton stands for Jew.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 2, 2010

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like how I just got scolded for sexual harassment and trying to trap a woman in the womans bathroom with trashcans.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I like how I just got scolded for sexual harassment and trying to trap a woman in the womans bathroom with trashcans.
10 years later and I still remember that part.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grey Fox V2 posted:

10 years later and I still remember that part.

It was hilarious when the door to the womens bathroom closed on one of the trashcans and it shattered into pieces. That is some door.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It was hilarious when the door to the womens bathroom closed on one of the trashcans and it shattered into pieces. That is some door.

I remember one time I was in the lucky money in hong kong, and I bought a (child?) prostitute who followed me around, even down into the secret gangster board room downstairs behind the bar. I left the secret room through the stairs without breaking the windows, but she didn't follow me up. Then I was walking around the dance floor and she came bursting through the two-way mirrors to catch up with me.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So what is the coup attempt against President Mead that Atanwe talks about in Paris?

The J in JC Denton stands for Jew.

The JC in JC Denton stands for "Jesus Christ", and the Jews killed Jesus, so therefore MJ12 must logically be controlled by the Jews.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I remember one time I was in the lucky money in hong kong, and I bought a (child?) prostitute who followed me around
What. What?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hogburto posted:

What. What?

There's a mamasan in the lucky money who rents out escorts. The one who follows you around is one of those pink-haired schoolgirl models. They don't actually do anything except follow you around and occasionally say "I am not allowed"

they also break glass with their face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

"You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands."

Whoa.