Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

My Dinner with Andre is a total classic and the "Sabotage" music video is better than the entire creative output of most film studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Criterion doesn't even limit itself to classics. It's devoted to releasing, along with classics, art films, cult classics, controversial movies that have been butchered to poo poo due to various censorship boards, etc. All of the ones I quoted may not be classics age-wise, but they definitely fall under the other categories.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha, no problem. I never saw the film myself but I remember that part of the trailer. It got pretty middling reviews.

When it first was released there was some to do about how the studio took the film away from the director and supposedly brought in the Wachowskis to redo the ending. It's kind of obvious that something happened as the movie's two halves don't really fit together and it suffers from the mega-happy ending.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Blompkin posted:

I know it was a little while ago, but I just wanted to point out that the following films are also in the Criterion collection:

Videodrome
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein
Slacker
My Dinner with Andre
Naked Lunch
Traffic
Rushmore
Beastie Boys Video Anthology

These aren't exactly classics. Besides, despite Armageddon being hokey and somewhat brainless, at least it's competently made, and far tighter and more engaging that anything else Michael Bay has created in recent memory.

Bad Boys 2 wants a word with you.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'm convinced that Armageddon will be "in canon" in like 20 years. It's just that kind of weird, lavish, expressive piece of work that future generations are gonna watch and say "they don't make 'em like that anymore" and we can sigh heavily, shifting uncomfortably as Ben Affleck slips animal crackers into Liv Tyler while her father sings a ballad, and say "I was there, son. I was there."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Blompkin posted:

I know it was a little while ago, but I just wanted to point out that the following films are also in the Criterion collection:

Videodrome

These aren't exactly classics.

FUUUCK YYOOOUUUU!!!

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Fun Fact: Criterion needs to make money to survive.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

WebDog posted:

"There Will be Blood" used a Pathe camera from 1910 for very short scenes, as the camera wasn't steady with it's color and has a low resolution.

But (as shown by Dr. Plonk) it is possible to adapt a hand-crank method to a modern camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVkgZSo2MPA&feature=related

This is a page back, but I never realized this. In fact, I still don't know what shots could have possibly used this camera. I do remember that the first shot of "Magnolia" is shot with a hand-crank camera but I can't recall any shots in TWBB looking like that.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Parachute posted:

Bad Boys 2 wants a word with you.
Bad Boys 2 is Michael Bay's magnum opus.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
How do they do that shot where an object in the foreground either stays in the same place or moves towards the camera while the background moves away from the camera? I think it's called foreshortening.

Example: This scene from The Quick and the Dead. Link contains spoilers, so watch at your own risk.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

X-Ray Pecs posted:

How do they do that shot where an object in the foreground either stays in the same place or moves towards the camera while the background moves away from the camera? I think it's called foreshortening.

Example: This scene from The Quick and the Dead. Link contains spoilers, so watch at your own risk.
Zoom in while you dolly out. Hitchcock co-created the shot for Vertigo.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Keanu Grieves posted:

A few examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48R6-iIYHs

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Keanu Grieves posted:

Also called the contrazoom.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Keanu Grieves posted:

Actually, when you want the background to seem to move away from the foreground (Vertigo, Jaws), you dolly in while zooming out. If you want the foreground and background to come together, you zoom in while pulling back.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

Actually, when you want the background to seem to move away from the foreground (Vertigo, Jaws), you dolly in while zooming out. If you want the foreground and background to come together, you zoom in while pulling back.
Oh, my bad. This is why I'm not a filmmaker.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Thanks, guys! That's been bugging me forever and I just remembered to ask it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

the Bunt posted:

This is a page back, but I never realized this. In fact, I still don't know what shots could have possibly used this camera. I do remember that the first shot of "Magnolia" is shot with a hand-crank camera but I can't recall any shots in TWBB looking like that.

They were very short flashback scenes on a train, Plainview with his son as a baby.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The Hitchcock zoom is also pretty universally regarded as bad technique.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

NeuroticErotica posted:

The Hitchcock zoom is also pretty universally regarded as bad technique.
Really? I actually really like it. I'm honestly surprised at it's considered "bad".

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I think more like "cliche" than "bad".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's something that should be used really, really, really judiciously. Or, if you're a student filmmaker with a dolly, ALL THE TIME. The basic problem is that it's a big fat gimmick, and there are so few things you can do with it that every time you use it your audience will have already seen it in another film. It's been used to simulate vertigo (Vertigo), a sudden, terrifying realization (Jaws), to create tension during a climactic discussion (Goodfellas), to create a sudden sense of impending confrontation (Do The Right Thing), to supernaturally change a room's dimensions (Poltergeist), and a billion similar ways. What else can be done with it? Frankly, I love it when a dolly zoom is used effectively, but it's done badly so often that it has to be really, really exceptional to work because the audience will automatically associate it with all the lovely times they've seen it used.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Frankly, I love it when a dolly zoom is used effectively, but it's done badly so often that it has to be really, really exceptional to work because the audience will automatically associate it with all the lovely times they've seen it used.
See also: dutch angles.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

SubG posted:

gently caress you, Battlefield Earth is a masterpiece of drunken cinematography.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SubG posted:

Best of both worlds; Dutch Angled Vertigo Zooms are used in The Quick and the Dead. But it's cool because Sam Raimi.

Also, Battlefield Earth rules.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Best of both worlds; Dutch Angled Vertigo Zooms are used in The Quick and the Dead. But it's cool because Sam Raimi.

Also, Battlefield Earth rules.

I would LOVE for Battlefield Earth to have used Dutch Angled Vertigo Zooms.

Also, Quick and the Dead rules.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jay Dub posted:

Also, Quick and the Dead rules.

It was pretty good through most of the movie, but the ending was awesome and was Sam Raimi letting loose and it owned.

Edit: Watching Battlefield Earth right now. Still amazing.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Magic Hate Ball posted:

a sudden, terrifying realization (Jaws)
This to me is the only valid use. And in Jaws, it's perfect. To me that kind of shooting is a visual metaphor for your heart pounding in your ears so loud you can't focus on anything else.

:colbert:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The dolly zoom nails that effect. I've been in a few situations like that, and it really does feel like the whole world is rushing away from you. It's the visual version of "it was like the floor dropped out".

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

And because in those instances it's an obvious ironic choice.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think things like that zoom need to be used sparingly because it is so obviously a technique that it can take the viewer out of the film very easily, and remind them that they are watching a film as opposed to being immersed in and caught up in a film-watching experience.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought the example in Fellowship of the Ring linked above as a pretty good use of the technique.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

euphronius posted:

I thought the example in Fellowship of the Ring linked above as a pretty good use of the technique.
I honestly never even knew what that scene was supposed to be about. Now I see that it was supposed to be kind of a freakout.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Is my By Brakhage Volume One Blu Ray hosed up? I go to watch The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes and I scroll on the time line to look for it and it isn't there. I checked after Dog Star Man where it is supposed to be and it wasn't there. Any ideas?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

The Lucas posted:

Is my By Brakhage Volume One Blu Ray hosed up? I go to watch The Act of Seeing With One's Own Eyes and I scroll on the time line to look for it and it isn't there. I checked after Dog Star Man where it is supposed to be and it wasn't there. Any ideas?

EDIT: I found it in the Index, but it isn't on the time line. Weird.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

I just checked mine and it's the same. I never use those timeline things on Criterion discs. Just select it from the index.

e: beat me to it

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

This has probably been asked before, but has there ever been a remake of a movie or TV show that rose above the source material or got good reviews?

The only one I could think of was The Man Who Knew Too Much - but it doesn't seem like that one would count.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

fenix down posted:

This has probably been asked before, but has there ever been a remake of a movie or TV show that rose above the source material or got good reviews?

The only one I could think of was The Man Who Knew Too Much - but it doesn't seem like that one would count.
In some circles...The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call, New Orleans.

On a personal note, I enjoyed A Brady Bunch Movie and Starsky & Hutch much more than their source TV series.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

fenix down posted:

Ocean's 11 tends to be a lot more loved as a remake than the original, from what I've seen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

fenix down posted:

The original is better :colbert:

The Thing is generally considered to be better than The Thing From Another World although I don't know if it was well-received at the time.

More (some of these are debatable):

The Maltese Falcon
The Fly
Ben-Hur
Ocean's 11
Gaslight
Imitation of Life
His Girl Friday
Little Shop of Horrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

fenix down posted:

The Departed seems to be more highly regarded than Infernal Affairs, though I don't share that sentiment.