Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cabbit posted:

Psionics has been a part of D&D for awhile, albeit an option one, going back to whenever Dark Sun was introduced at least.

In fact, since AD&D 1st Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Spiderdrake posted:

What the hell is a divine mind

A mediocre to middling psionic class introduced in the Complete Psionic splatbook.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Spiderdrake posted:

What the hell is a divine mind

It's a psionic class set up similarly to the paladin or ranger--it has the same weak-rear end manifestation progression that those classes do with spellcasting and the way it gets its powers is tied into its class abilities in a way that adds complexity with little return. So, basically "psionic paladin," with abilities that can possibly be better, but it's not really worth planning it all out to optimize them.

Except whoops, they got the cleric's BAB, so they just suck.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
:siren: This is a raid! :siren:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Belkar dies this guy should replace him.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Odd that they didn't take the lizard guy's crossbow away.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I like how the bounty hunters are so good at following the laws. He's so careful to have absolutely no chance of getting screwed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

A Big Dark Yak posted:

One of my friends has made a druid for our D&D game next weekend, and her animal companion is a fleshraker dinosaur with many of its bonus tricks used to teach it different styles of dance.

I hope that dinosaur will manage to be even half as cool as Mr. Scruffy. :)

A guy I play with is trying to raise a roc as an animal companion, and he still refuses to let me pull off the old "Flaming ball of poo" trick with the assistance of the roc. Can't figure out why.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Donraj posted:

Odd that they didn't take the lizard guy's crossbow away.

They didn't nab Mr Scruffy either. Mr Scruffy will rescue them all.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
:frogsiren: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0732.html

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Stone shape is awesome. I once defeated a prismatic sphere with it, by just removing so much of the ground beneath where the wizard was standing in the sphere, that the ground she was standing on proceeded to fall down a few floors of her stone tower, while the sphere of course remained stationary.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Well, this strip proves to me that Mr. Scruffy is definately no ordinary cat. That is extremely uncat-like behavior, and would be pretty intelligent for even a dog.

Before someone says "duh he's Belkar's animal companion," first of all, if you want to be picky, cat's aren't on the list of allowed animal companions, but that can be easily hand-waved. However, animal companions are different from familiars in that they don't gain any increased intelligence whatsoever. They're just tougher than average.

Something strange is up with that cat, and I fully expect some kind of plot twist or revelation concerning him down the road.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mylan posted:

Well, this strip proves to me that Mr. Scruffy is definately no ordinary cat. That is extremely uncat-like behavior, and would be pretty intelligent for even a dog.

Before someone says "duh he's Belkar's animal companion," first of all, if you want to be picky, cat's aren't on the list of allowed animal companions, but that can be easily hand-waved. However, animal companions are different from familiars in that they don't gain any increased intelligence whatsoever. They're just tougher than average.

Something strange is up with that cat, and I fully expect some kind of plot twist or revelation concerning him down the road.

At one point I thought he might be Dorukan's familiar sent to spy on the Azure city gate, but that doesn't fit with his combat abilities.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Simple solution: Class levels. Mr. Scruffy got roleplaying XP from acing as Chief Advisor to Lord Shojo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's one guy's familiar and also Belkar's animal companion, getting both benefits. That cat is double dipping.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
drat multiclass powergaming felines

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alternately, Mr. Scruffy is a servant of Tiger (or one of the other Twelve Gods but Tiger makes the most sense).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So, why didn't they get papers before entering the city? How did they even get in without anyone asking or telling them about it?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Poil posted:

So, why didn't they get papers before entering the city? How did they even get in without anyone asking or telling them about it?

"Stone Shape"

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Poil posted:

"Wind Walk is the best cleric spell ever!"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Poil posted:

Oops, mind the plot hole; we are still working on this story line.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Yadoppsi posted:

"Wind Walk is the best cleric spell ever!"

Seems right. He explicitly said he'd ferry the party from city to city with the Wind Walk spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Zonekeeper posted:

Simple solution: Class levels. Mr. Scruffy got roleplaying XP from acing as Chief Advisor to Lord Shojo.

He has levels in Feline Urban Ranger, and has chosen Belkar as his humanoid companion. As a humanoid companion Belkar gains a more cunning perspective on the world, and will instinctively protect his master even at great risk to his own life. Scruffy in turn gains the ability to understand common speech, and while he cannot command Belkar directly, he is able to influence him in subtle ways (such as by appearing in his dreams in the guise of an elderly aristocrat whom Belkar respects).

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

He has levels in Feline Urban Ranger, and has chosen Belkar as his humanoid companion. As a humanoid companion Belkar gains a more cunning perspective on the world, and will instinctively protect his master even at great risk to his own life. Scruffy in turn gains the ability to understand common speech, and while he cannot command Belkar directly, he is able to influence him in subtle ways (such as by appearing in his dreams in the guise of an elderly aristocrat whom Belkar respects).

Well, I'm going with this as the official explanation now.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

oobey posted:

You and me both.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

oobey posted:

Third'd. drat.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

ConfusedUs posted:

Third'd. drat.

I don't think a single person would not support that. Its just so... so... perfect!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Mystic Mongol posted:

Seems right. He explicitly said he'd ferry the party from city to city with the Wind Walk spell.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

drat. That gives me a whole new level of respect for how much Burlew thinks this stuff through. Also the Goaway Mountains :haw:

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Those who have purchased War and XP know Mr. Scruffy's class. He's a Pal...adin. He can Smite Weevils twice per day!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

:frogsiren: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0733.html

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I don't know why it is, but I find the Sending gags to be one of the best.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Clod, fool, idiot, loser, stupid, dumbass, retard, moron, simpleton, ignoramus, dolt, tool, bonehead, blockhead, dope, dunce, numbskull, nitwit, dimwit, yokel, thickhead, git, loon, shmuck, Buckley.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Taerkar posted:

I don't know why it is, but I find the Sending gags to be one of the best.

It's the completely arbitrary 25-word limit.

You can't just say the spell sends a 'short message,' because grognards will argue forever about what constitutes a short message in the game.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

ConfusedUs posted:

You can't just say the spell sends a 'short message,' because grognards will argue forever about what constitutes a short message in the game.

All this does is have them argue "what's a word."

Sending! "Hey, don't forget that upcoming visit by my aunt, Lucy Weholdthesetruthstobeselfevidentthatallmenarecreatedequalthattheyareendowedbytheircreator..."

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ashenai posted:

All this does is have them argue "what's a word."

Sending! "Hey, don't forget that upcoming visit by my aunt, Lucy Weholdthesetruthstobeselfevidentthatallmenarecreatedequalthattheyareendowedbytheircreator..."

bobwehadababyitsaboy

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

bobwehadababyitsaboy

The commercial was stupid, but for some reason this gag makes me laugh every single time.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ConfusedUs posted:

I know what the gag is, I just find it far more amusing than I should.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hey, Roy, you big jerk, way to not give two craps about the concerns of your subordinates. I know you're having fun talking down to Durkon, but Belkar there is prepared to do time for your mission, so maybe you can spare five words to say, 'Remember to bring Mr. Scruffy."

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

quote:

wehadababyitsaboy

Well, Durkon did get away with using 'twould' as a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia