Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Levelling in SL is so much easier that I don't think I could stand making a froob char.

In particular, SL fixers are way better since they can use shadowweb spinners, which can be bought in stores and are better than grid armor.

e: After I hit 150 on my keeper I think I'm gonna turn him into a Sec10 twink and then use him to fund a soldier. Soldiers are what I started the game with and I'd like to make a decent one.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Kenlon posted:

Froobs can make use of MC too - just don't spend any until after you have your Grid Armor nano.

If a froob gets a GA nano he would probably be better served selling it. But to each their own.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Ugh this runs like total rear end on my laptop, I figured this game was old enough to not totally hate lovely integrated graphics but I guess I was wrong. Any way to get this running decently, the other specs are fairly good but it is just has integrated intel graphics chipset slowing things down i Imagine. If I can play WoW flawlessly I would think AO would be no problem.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nosthula posted:

If a froob gets a GA nano he would probably be better served selling it. But to each their own.

True, for most instances. But I first played AO at release, and I want Grid Armor, goddamn it!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Create a sec10 twink, farm until you have 400m, buy GAIV

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

-Troika- posted:

Create a sec10 twink, farm until you have 400m, buy GAIV

HEH, and sec10 twinks cost around 2billion credits to build. You would be better off farming GA Disks yourself and building your sec10 twink from that money. If you really want GA, then you can farm it yourself pretty easily. It just takes time and patience. I farmed 2 sets of all 4 disks for my wife's fixer and my fixer.

Squee posted:

Ugh this runs like total rear end on my laptop, I figured this game was old enough to not totally hate lovely integrated graphics but I guess I was wrong. Any way to get this running decently, the other specs are fairly good but it is just has integrated intel graphics chipset slowing things down i Imagine. If I can play WoW flawlessly I would think AO would be no problem.

Go into settings from the login screen and click change for the rendering device. There has been no rhyme or reason to which works best but try each one until you find the one that works. In my experience the "Primary Display Driver - Direct3D TL HAL" has worked the best. Some of the settings will make it run like crap on even the most modern gaming rigs.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 26, 2010

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A perfect sec10 twink can cost like 2 billion, yeah. But you don't need ultra great equipment to farm there by yourself, and you can fund the twink's gear by doing so.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Well I got everything up and running and made it out of the newbie area well enough, running around as Fillerbunny. Can you still make money blitzing missions for poo poo like concrete cushions or has that fad died down over the years? I just remember making a fair amount of money last time I played on my fixer using clicksaver, hoping it is still feasible.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, there's plenty of useful stuff that is blitzable still.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
Got my second Weapon Upgrade!

Envy of the Xan + Rhat'Ata Gun will go on in a few days, saying goodbye to DShark

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Peechka posted:

This is still one of my favorite mmos to this date. The depth and scope of this game is unrivaled. There is just so much poo poo to do I fell overwhelmed by all the content.Last time I played was in the SL era and I have not even touched or seen any of the alien poo poo yet. I hope they implement the new graphics engine and re-release this game somehow to get more people to play it. I play on RK1 and the game is definitely still showing life but could use a influx of new players. Coming back it was kind of difficult to play based on the old interface by todays standards. But within a week it was like I never left and having tons of fun running with my brother and 2 other friends.

I wish more people would give this game a chance. Its definitely old and clunky but man, so much content, so much to do. So many ways to update and build your character. And such unique classes.

While newer games like WoW are good in their own way, it just shows how lacking in content and character customization they are compared to this game. Everything cookie cutter, item level restrictions and such.

I played this a bit a couple years ago and it was fun because I love scifi, but I got bored once I got past TOTW and it was tough to find places to get experience. Solo stuff can be tough, missions are dull, and nothing beats getting a pickup group of people at TOTW and there's always people hanging out there, same with the Sewers. Then you go to Foreman's which is supposed to be the next big place to level up and nobody's there. It was even more dull for me because I won an ingame contest and got hundreds of millions of credits, so I could buy tons of stuff, and no longer worry about money, but I need to level up to really be able to use anything, and leveling is a chore with just missions.

I think a lot more people would jump in once they do the graphics update; that's what I'm waiting for myself before I jump back in. Everytime I check this thread and there's a bunch of new posts I'm hoping it will be that the graphics update has finally come out. :smith:

I hope they finally finish the goddamn thing and then do a bit of an ad blitz. They probably won't but that woudl be cool.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Finally got my froob agent out of the newbie zone today. Rather confounded as to what to do and where to go next.

Thankfully I managed to grab the smelling salts and technical manual, what do those sell for anyway?
(Edit: Of course if any goons need those I'll sell for less than market price)

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

-Troika- posted:

A perfect sec10 twink can cost like 2 billion, yeah. But you don't need ultra great equipment to farm there by yourself, and you can fund the twink's gear by doing so.

You definitely dont need 2 bill to twink a S10 toon. Roll an Enforcer which is easy to twink out. It will cost you 200-400mill. Start with symbs, go 1he (dual chiropteras), s10 huds/utils, 2-3 spirit infused yutto mems, spend the remaining on armor and be sure to raise evade+NR, for Cha II's your evade's wont help, thats when you go full aggro and spam Absorbs.

I hear Soldiers are easy and not expensive as well.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
32 fixer on rk1 here; how the heck am I supposed to make credits at this level? Getting tired of craptastic weapons and my treat suit :(

Edit: My name is Galladro if anybody is lookin' for somebody to group with ever.

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 29, 2010

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Conquistador posted:

32 fixer on rk1 here; how the heck am I supposed to make credits at this level? Getting tired of craptastic weapons and my treat suit :(

I was having this same problem. Blitz your nanos/weapons/armor, save credits for implants and unblitzable stuff. Level on stuff that drops pearls, sell pearls for credits.

Superhaus
Jun 9, 2003

I'm probably wasting time right now.

uPen posted:

I was having this same problem. Blitz your nanos/weapons/armor, save credits for implants and unblitzable stuff. Level on stuff that drops pearls, sell pearls for credits.

So run missions for nanos/weps/armor? How do I know what to put into clicksaver to get what I need? Will I be able to get high enough QL in solo missions?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

A general list of things to blitz can be found here. It's a bit old, but I can't imagine Funcom has added too many things over the last six years that people would want to blitz for. Demand for some items should probably still be okay. This thread has a Clicksaver formatted file to help you blitz for specific Fixer nanos for those of you who chose to roll a Fixer.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Superhaus posted:

So run missions for nanos/weps/armor? How do I know what to put into clicksaver to get what I need? Will I be able to get high enough QL in solo missions?

QL shouldn't be an issue except for any item you want to heavily twink, like possibly weapons. MPs, for example, generally can't expect to roll appropriate combat pets, because they'll want to be using a meatball far above their own level.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
As a new player you can roll your pets/weapons simply because you don't have the means to twink into excessively high level stuff. You can generally roll missions that are ~2x your level, do a bit of twinking into that item and be good to go.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Why are some of my skill numbers red when I'm spending IP? Does that mean they cost more to raise than normal?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

^^Red means you have a penalty from some item against that skill. The colors of the names means cost, dark blue costs the most.

Can't get Clicksaver to work. Downloaded the full game client and patched it, but it just gives me a "failed to create local database" error as soon as I try that. Any ideas as to what the hell is goin wrong?

Edit: And the problem was that my AO install is in Program Files (x86) instead of Program Files. Dumb program. Apparently that only worked for a minute or so, still get the same error. God drat it.

Edit2: Downloaded a newer version off a link from the AO wiki. See if this works.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 29, 2010

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nibbles the Shark posted:

^^Red means you have a penalty from some item against that skill. The colors of the names means cost, dark blue costs the most.
Oh, durr. Had just equipped that +crit, -senses item on the newbie island.

Nibbles the Shark posted:

Can't get Clicksaver to work. Downloaded the full game client and patched it, but it just gives me a "failed to create local database" error as soon as I try that. Any ideas as to what the hell is goin wrong?
On the page of the clicksaver site given in the OP, you'll find a link to another page that shows how to install it and get it running. It mentions your error on the "setup" page.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Clicksaver hasn't been officially updated to work with the latest version of AO and the item database. There's an unofficial version 3.0, but I couldn't tell you how trustworthy it is or if it even works. Honestly, it would be nice if Funcom just changed the mission descriptions so that it just told you what the drat reward is.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 30, 2010

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Tyshalob posted:

Clicksaver hasn't been officially updated to work with the latest version of AO and the item database. There's an unofficial version 3.0, but I couldn't tell you how trustworthy it is or if it even works. Honestly, it would be nice if Funcom just changed the mission descriptions so that it just told you what the drat reward is.

The version at AO Universe works and, if it's malicious, the hammer's been a long time waiting to drop.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Do a search for Mish Buddy. Its the same thing as a click saver but you dont have to make a local database and its a bit more intuitive to use than the old clicksaver.

InvincibleMadHouse
Jan 19, 2009

by Ralp
When I download the game from the link on the OP, I download it all fine, but upon installing, the window freezes and my antivirus stuff shuts down for a minute until I get the frozen program to go away. What's up with that?

Edit* Nevermind:

There are several factors, 3rd party applications, and operating system (OS) functions which can interfere with the installation and patching of the game. While the suggestions below are not guaranteed to solve any and all issues you may encounter, they have been proved to remedy some of them in a fair number of cases, especially, but not limited to, when using Vista or Win7.

Recommendations for all Windows versions (XP, Vista, Win7)

* It is not recommended to install the game anywhere within the default "C:\Program Files" folder, not even on XP. When the installer asks for the install location, create and/or specify a folder which is completely outside of "C:\Program Files", such as "C:\Games\Anarchy Online".
On Vista, this is not a simple recommendation but a must; you need to install the game completely outside of the "C:\Program Files" folder to prevent the most common issues from happening.

If you have already installed the game to the default location in "C:\Program Files", you don't necessarily have to uninstall, then reinstall it to a different location. The installation can simply be copied to any other location on the given computer, or even on a different computer, and it will remain fully functional. Simply make a copy of the whole "Anarchy Online" folder, currently located somewhere within the "C:\Program Files" folder, to some other location completely outside of "C:\Program Files", such as in the example above, update your shortcuts to point to the new location of the game executables and check if the game can be run from the new location. Then you may want to uninstall the original game installation using the Add/remove Applications function of the OS in order to get that game instance properly removed from the "C:\Program Files" folder and from the Installed Applications list.

InvincibleMadHouse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 30, 2010

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Is this game worth coming to play as a US player who bought it when it came out and quit when it was unplayable and never looked back? I like space MMO's and since there is nothing else to play at the moment I'm willing to give it a shot.

PS as a complete nub and being in the US what server should i play on?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Most goons are on RK1.

Poop Lawyer
Apr 20, 2009
Saw this thread and I had to make a new account. I haven't played this game for a year or two, it looks like they changed some stuff. When did they add this job academy thing? I'm flopping around in the subway right now with a level 23 Fixer named "Shaqattack", wouldn't mind linking up with some goons!

Poop Lawyer fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 1, 2010

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

If anybody has any of the MTI - Russian Good Day line of submachine guns laying around gathering dust I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. I can't get enough of the sound they make when they fire.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Is the Enfraam's Trivial Fortification disk worth anything?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

Is the Enfraam's Trivial Fortification disk worth anything?

O_o

No. Or were you just asking that to, you know, make conversation?

I don't have any Russian Good Days, but do let me know if you need any fpable buffs.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

tentacles posted:

O_o

No. Or were you just asking that to, you know, make conversation?

I don't have any Russian Good Days, but do let me know if you need any fpable buffs.

I was just asking because it's worth 0 credits if you try and vendor it, and it's not a shop buyable nano so I figured I'd see if I could get anything for it before I deleted it.

In the interests of conversation I'll just mention that I sold a pair of ql 10 int buffing pistols for 200k to some really desperate guy last night. I was going to only ask 10k for the pair when he offered 200k.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 2, 2010

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tyshalob posted:

If anybody has any of the MTI - Russian Good Day line of submachine guns laying around gathering dust I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. I can't get enough of the sound they make when they fire.

Anyone who likes weapon noises owes it to themselves to use a Redline grenade launcher at least once.

It was the only weapon I ever had that made people say "What the hell was that?"

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
Metropolis blaster is sweet, sweet noise too. Every Fixer should have one.

Also, on RK1 anyone want to do 12 man drop me a line /tell Emilin

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I love the sound of the OT Kerans Automatic Grinner, myself - brings back memories.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Wait, so, Grid Armor is still actually worthwhile in some sense? I wonder if I can find the account info for my 150ish fixer w/ GA2 - I quit right around when Shadowlands hit, so I'm sure I have a wonderful selection of QL200 SMGs of various types (oh, Manex Catastrophe, you made everyone's life so much better when they added you.)

And the OT Kerans definitely brings back memories - it's named after an old friend (Nettie, Fixer prof rep for a while way back when).

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If anybody has any 125+ Manex's on RK1 they'd part with for cheap, thats the gun I used to roll with and honestly half the reason I made a new account! I haven't been able to get any bosses to drop one though. Also would be totally down for RK experience be it outdoor spawns or team missions, my fixer Galladro is just a hair shy of 74 now.

Edit: Also, the org I'm in now is pretty active for around that level range (more so than GoonCorp seemed to be), and -most- of the people in it are pretty cool! Fire and Brimstone is the name, if you're looking for some people to play with I'm sure I could get people in fairly easily.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Grid armor is great for froob fixers. As I said, SL fixers can buy Shadowweb Spinners, which do the same thing and arn't social armor.

That being said, GA disks are still a nice way to make cash if you find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
So here's the monthly "have they made any progress with the new engine yet?".

Should probably be yearly.

• Locked thread