Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I'm not sure if that is efficient either, for the average person there has to be more stories than there are votes since they can only vote once per story, so it would be a smaller result set to just search for all the users votes than to search for all the stories.

In the end all I need to know is if a vote was found, not what it was, so I think the binary search is still the best bet. Another good thing is that the API is simpler with the binary search, since i only need a single method isVoteFound(user, id), which when called once will automatically speed up any subsequent calls since the list is cached.

If I went#3 with the OR clause, I would need to change the api to isVoteFound(user, List ids).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
But you already search for all the user's stories? The 15 stories you display.

So adding a left join to show which stories the user has voted on should, if I understand what you are trying to do, be much simpler and more efficient.

One query instead of 16 (original query x 1 and look up votes x 15).

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Yeah but your query assumes only one user is hitting the site. The original stories query has to be independent of any user since it will be shown to many different users with different vote statuses.

edit - I guess you are taking the approach of running the query for every user, where I was caching the story query for all users and running the votes independently.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Well that explains it.

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

Well no, his query does not assume that, since the user_id is plugged in at runtime.

More generally, you basically have to decide whether you can afford to leverage the database or if you have to keep everything in memory. The problem you've proposed is undoubtedly easier to solve using SQL, but it will almost certainly be slower. The question is whether that matters at your level of scale.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
MySQL engines: Right now I'm using the default MyISAM engines and I'm thinking about switching to InnoDB for foreign keys. I'm currently using triggers to perform the same cascading deletes/updates that foreign keys would provide. Is there any reason I should switch? I don't have need right now for row-level locking or transactions. If I do switch, is there an easier way to do it than copying my data to a new table with the same schema (but different engine), deleting the old one and then renaming the new one?

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
I have a hopefully pretty easy question on a JOIN.

I have two tables, a Quote table (PK is QuoteID) and a History table (PK is HistoryID). The linking key is QuoteID. The history table can contain multiple instances of the same QuoteID. What I am needing to do is grab the QuoteID based on other row information in my History table based off the highest instance of HistoryID for a given QuoteID. So let's say I have a coulmn in my History table named Status, I need to get the QuoteID where the Status = "Test" from the highest instance of HistoryID. Does any of that make sense?

Here's what I have so far that works:

SELECT Quote.QuoteID, History.HistoryID
FROM Quote
JOIN History
ON Quote.QuoteID=History.QuoteID

Which returns some results like this:
code:
QuoteID HistoryID Status
3	6	  Foo
3	1234	  Foo
3	1312	  Test
9	18	  Foo
9	1235	  Foo
9	1313	  Foo
11	25	  Foo
11	26	  Foo
11	27	  Foo
11	28	  Foo
11	29	  Test
So from this Query I would expect to grab QuoteID 3 and 11, as their highest instance of HistoryID have a status of Test.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
If you're using MySQL you'd need to do something like
code:
SELECT Quote.QuoteID, History.HistoryID, History.Status
FROM Quote
JOIN (SELECT QuoteID, max(HistoryId) as HistoryId
       FROM History
      GROUP BY QuoteID) as mh
ON Quote.QuoteID=mh.QuoteID
JOIN History
ON mh.QuoteID=History.QuoteID
   and mh.HistoryId = History.HistoryId
WHERE History.Status = 'Test'
I'm not 100% sure on the syntax for column and query aliases in MySQL so that would need tweaking.

If you're using MSSQL 2005 or greater (or some not ancient release of Oracle) you could use analytic functions to do something like:
code:
SELECT QuoteID, HistoryID, Status
FROM (
SELECT Quote.QuoteID,
       History.HistoryID,
       History.Status,
       row_number() over (partition by Quote.QuoteID 
                          order by History.HistoryID desc) hs_rnk
FROM Quote
JOIN History
ON Quote.QuoteID=History.QuoteID) tbl
WHERE hs_rnk = 1 and Status = 'Test'

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Awesome, the top query worked perfectly. Thanks for the help Jethro!

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

MySQL engines: Right now I'm using the default MyISAM engines and I'm thinking about switching to InnoDB for foreign keys. I'm currently using triggers to perform the same cascading deletes/updates that foreign keys would provide. Is there any reason I should switch? I don't have need right now for row-level locking or transactions. If I do switch, is there an easier way to do it than copying my data to a new table with the same schema (but different engine), deleting the old one and then renaming the new one?
Emphasis added.

There is no reason not to use InnoDB, especially given that you're already doing something insanely silly to work around not using it. Converting is easy:
code:
ALTER TABLE foo ENGINE=InnoDB;
This basically rewrites the table, so it might take a while. Before doing this, if you're the server admin, you should examine the various innodb_ settings available to you and decide if you need to change them from their defaults.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Got them switched, but having trouble setting up a couple of the foreign keys (out of like 20)

The following two statements:
ALTER TABLE sites ADD FOREIGN KEY (owner) REFERENCES owners (id) ON UPDATE CASCADE
ALTER TABLE territories ADD FOREIGN KEY (owner) REFERENCES owners (id) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE
Give the same error:
Can't create table './ctasc/#sql-1625_b1d012.frm' (errno: 150)
(ctasc) is the database name.

and here's the relevant schema of the tables:

Sites:
code:
Field	Type	Null	Key	Default	Extra
id	varchar(15)	NO	PRI		
owner	varchar(4)	YES
Territories:
code:
id	varchar(15)	NO	PRI		
owner	varchar(4)	YES
Owners:
code:
id	varchar(4)	NO
edit:
I'm retarded and didn't have an index on the id column in my owners table. Fixed!

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 2, 2010

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Yeah, the errors given by InnoDB when there is something preventing a foreign key from being created/altered are not helpful at all.

KillaB227
Mar 20, 2009
I have a (embarrassingly simple) SQL question.

I have the following table:
id(primary key, int)
name(varchar2)
container(int - something like 30 possible unique values)
active(boolean)

I need a list of all the names that have more than one active row for a given container. Here's the query I've come up with:
code:
SELECT DISTINCT p1.name, p1.container
FROM PAGE p1
    INNER JOIN PAGE p2
    ON p1.container = p2.container AND
        p1.id <> p2.id AND
        p1.active=true AND
        p2.active=true
ORDER BY c1.name
Am I anywhere near the right solution here? It seems like this is returning more rows than I want.

KillaB227 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 4, 2010

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

KillaB227 posted:

id(primary key, int)
name(varchar2)
active(boolean)

I need a list of all the names that have more than one active row for a given container. Here's the query I've come up with:
code:
FROM PAGE p1
    INNER JOIN PAGE p2
        p1.id <> p2.id AND
        p1.active=true AND
        p2.active=true
ORDER BY c1.name
Am I anywhere near the right solution here? It seems like this is returning more rows than I want.

hrmm i think should work if its unique by container

code:
SELECT p1.name, p1.container, count(p1.id) as counter
FROM PAGE p1
    INNER JOIN PAGE p2
        p1.id <> p2.id AND
        p1.active=true AND
        p2.active=true
group by p1.container
ORDER BY p1.name
Having counter > 1

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

KillaB227 posted:

id(primary key, int)
name(varchar2)
active(boolean)

code:
FROM PAGE p1
    INNER JOIN PAGE p2
        p1.id <> p2.id AND
        p1.active=true AND
        p2.active=true
ORDER BY c1.name

code:
SELECT name, container
FROM page
WHERE active = true
GROUP BY name, container
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

KillaB227
Mar 20, 2009

Sprawl posted:

hrmm i think should work if its unique by container

camels posted:

code:
GROUP BY name, container
HAVING COUNT(*) > 1

Awesome! Thank you both.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the Sybase database I'm working on is either really old or I don't know what. It wouldn't let me create a foreign key with an "on update" clause, gave me syntax error.

alter table XYZ add foreign key (fieldXYZ) references ABC(fieldABC) on update cascade

Take out the "on update", it works. I ended up axing that constraint entirely and enforcing manually with triggers, but I'd like to be able to cascade...

What might I be wanting to look at to enable this option if it's been disabled somehow? I can get full DBA access if needed.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

baquerd posted:

Apparently the Sybase database I'm working on is either really old or I don't know what.

What version of Sybase?

quote:

It wouldn't let me create a foreign key with an "on update" clause, gave me syntax error.

What error message are you getting?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

camels posted:

What version of Sybase?

What error message are you getting?

It should be 12.5 I believe. We had to set a new environment variable SYBASE_OCS with the latest update we've published. I'm a Java/PHP guy who does SQL on the side, so I'm not very knowledgeable about DBA myself.

"Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'ON'."

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

baquerd posted:

It should be 12.5 I believe. We had to set a new environment variable SYBASE_OCS with the latest update we've published. I'm a Java/PHP guy who does SQL on the side, so I'm not very knowledgeable about DBA myself.

"Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'ON'."

I dunno. Looks like version 12.5 does not support cascading updates:
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.dc32300_1250/pdf/sqlug.pdf

quote:

create table [database.[owner].]table_name
...snip...
|foreign key (column_name [{,column_name}...])
references [[database.]owner.]ref_table
[(ref_column [{, ref_column}...])]
| check (search_condition) ...}
[{, {next_column | next_constraint}}...])

quote:

Using triggers vs. integrity constraints

As an alternative to using triggers, you can use the referential integrity constraint of the create table statement to enforce referential integrity across tables in the database. However, referential integrity constraints cannot:
• Cascade changes through related tables in the database

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

camels posted:

I dunno. Looks like version 12.5 does not support cascading updates:
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.dc32300_1250/pdf/sqlug.pdf

Ah, good find, bleh. A trigger on each side of the foreign key constraints isn't too bad, only needed one primary key able to be updated anyway.

Miskatonic U.
Aug 13, 2008

Do you read Sutter Cane?
Okay, the bottom line is that I don't know much about JDBC or SQLExpress, but, it is what it is.

I'm trying to run the FogBugz importer for Jira (which looks to be at least partially broken for FB7.1) - but I can't even get far enough to see if it's going to work at all because I don't know what I need the JDBC string to look like. Jira is expecting something like jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433/FogBUGZ. That is the correct host and port (DB is local to Jira install), but this is a named instance of SQLEXPRESS. I can get in through OSQL with "localhost\sqlexpress", but that's not letting Jira connect (generic failure error with no explanation).

If anyone has tried to solve a similar problem I'd be much obliged. Google led me to try doing sqlserver://localhost/db_name;instanceName=sqlexpress but that has not worked either.

The SQL instance is using windows auth, but my impression is that this means i can omit the username entirely because Jira is running as the logged in user (not in service mode) which is, again, on the SQL box as admin.

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem
A local government agency provides us with a spreadsheet full of names and addresses that our users need to search for a particular business reason. The spreadsheet contains 5 name fields and 5 address fields and some other miscellanous information.

I have been tasked with developing a small ASP.NET web app that allows them to search the list, displays the results in a datagrid and then allows them to email the rendered datagrid somewhere.

With this in mind, I imported the spreadsheet into a single table in SQL server and enabled Full Text Indexing, thinking that I would just create a single stored procedure that looked something like:

SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE CONTAINS (columns,@searchstring)

The problem I have is that names and addresses are sometimes stored like this:

Name1: Jacqueline
Name2: Kennedy Onassis
Name3: null

and sometimes like this:

Name2: Kennedy
Name3: Onassis

So users are not getting the results they should be, because they are searching for 'martin luther king boulevard' and 'martin luther' is stored in column address2 and 'king boulevard' is stored in column address3.

What I thought would work is to pass a search string that looks something like this:

SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE CONTAINS (*,'"Kennedy" AND "Onassis" OR "Kennedy Onassis"')

In order to cover all the bases of a particular string either being in a single column or split accross multiple columns. However this does not seem to bring back the expected results. Using CONTAINS with an AND in the middle doesn't really seem to work at all.

Is there a better way to do this or do I just have the wrong syntax? Have I approached this completely wrong, would it have been easier to just concatenate all the name and address fields before I put the data into SQL server?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Is there a reason to have the columns separate? If not, you could concatenate the data and store it in one column.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would personally extract the data and programmatically concatenate and search, especially if you want to provide more to the search feature than a plaintext search (e.g. suggestions and autocompletion).

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

gallop w/a boner posted:

A local government agency provides us with a spreadsheet full of names and addresses that our users need to search for a particular business reason. The spreadsheet contains 5 name fields and 5 address fields and some other miscellanous information.

I have been tasked with developing a small ASP.NET web app that allows them to search the list, displays the results in a datagrid and then allows them to email the rendered datagrid somewhere.

With this in mind, I imported the spreadsheet into a single table in SQL server and enabled Full Text Indexing, thinking that I would just create a single stored procedure that looked something like:

SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE CONTAINS (columns,@searchstring)

The problem I have is that names and addresses are sometimes stored like this:

Name2: Kennedy Onassis
Name3: null

and sometimes like this:

Name2: Kennedy
Name3: Onassis

So users are not getting the results they should be, because they are searching for 'martin luther king boulevard' and 'martin luther' is stored in column address2 and 'king boulevard' is stored in column address3.

What I thought would work is to pass a search string that looks something like this:

In order to cover all the bases of a particular string either being in a single column or split accross multiple columns. However this does not seem to bring back the expected results. Using CONTAINS with an AND in the middle doesn't really seem to work at all.

Is there a better way to do this or do I just have the wrong syntax? Have I approached this completely wrong, would it have been easier to just concatenate all the name and address fields before I put the data into SQL server?

SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE CONTAINS (*, "Kennedy Onassis"') OR CONCATINS(*,'"Kennedy" AND "Onassis")

Should work.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm working with Queries in Java and I'm having problems I cannot quite explain. What I want to do is as follows: I have a sizable database of URLs. Many of them are duplicates and I would like to query the database and have it return only unique URLs of the last 24 hours, so we have this code (With an arbitrary date at the moment):
code:
SELECT DISTINCT error_text FROM source_error WHERE create_dt > '2010-07-11'
To point out the obvious, error_text is the column that holds the URL. source_error is the table. create_dt is the timestamp.

Now here is the kicker. I also want to then count up the number of errors a given URL has returned in the last 24 hours. All this is running on Java so the block of code in question looks like this:

code:
rs = stmt.executeQuery("SELECT DISTINCT error_text FROM source_error WHERE create_dt > '2010-07-11'");

while(rs.next())
            {
                String errorText = rs.getString("error_text");
                rs = stmt2.executeQuery("SELECT COUNT(error_text) AS thisError FROM source_error WHERE error_text='" 
                + errorText + "'AND create_dt > '2010-07-11'");
                //errorCount = rs.getString("thisError");

The problem is in the stmt2 query. When I run that line, it says returns an error that reads, "java.sql.SQLException: Column 'error_text' not found."

Now, the first query works and "error_text is most definitely a column in the table. I'm not sure where to go from here as I can run the exact same Query in GUI Tools and it works. Perhaps this is a Java question, but the problem is within the SQL query. Why on earth is it returning this error and how do I fix it?

Also, perhaps there is an easier way to do what I want to do. I kinda hacked this together with a pretty limited knowledge of SQL, so if there is a better way to count the number of a specific instance of text in a column, I'm all ears!

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 13, 2010

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I'm not sure if this is what's causing it, but I think you need to group records if you're going to get a count.
code:
SELECT error_text, COUNT(*) AS thisError FROM source_error WHERE error_text='" + errorText + "'AND create_dt > '2010-07-11' GROUP BY error_text

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're reassigning rs in the middle of your while loop and then you try to get the error_text column from your second query which does not have that column.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm not sure if this is what's causing it, but I think you need to group records if you're going to get a count.
code:
SELECT error_text, COUNT(*) AS thisError FROM source_error WHERE error_text='" + errorText + "'AND create_dt > '2010-07-11' GROUP BY error_text

That seems kinda wasteful with there errortext in the where.

code:
SELECT error_text, COUNT(*) AS ErrorCount FROM source_error WHERE create_dt > '2010-07-11' GROUP BY error_text
Is better.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

code:

This actually did end up working. Many thanks~

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I've got an issue here that's being a pain that maybe someone can help me figure out here.

I've got a bunch of really old SQL Server 2000 databases that need to be moved to a SQL Server 2008 server. The databases themselves are largely recreated, but the schema, users, and other miscellaneous objects differ on the 2008 server so a flat "detach database and reattach it" won't work--what I really need to do is transfer just the tables from the older server to the new one.

The problem is the standard "quick and stupid" method of just importing the tables doesn't work, because the identity specification for all the columns is not preserved, even when selecting to enable identity insert. Manually going in and changing each of those identity columns after transferring the tables is certainly possible, but having to do that for several hundred tables is going to be a nightmare.

I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid, because there HAS to be a way to transfer tables from one database to another and still preserve whether or not columns are identity columns. SQL is really a secondary thing I do occasionally and my google-fu is not working up to par to find the answer to this one. Any ideas?

gallop w/a boner
Aug 16, 2002

Hell Gem

baquerd posted:

I would personally extract the data and programmatically concatenate and search, especially if you want to provide more to the search feature than a plaintext search (e.g. suggestions and autocompletion).

Ended up concatenating and it works pretty well now. Thanks guys.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Genpei Turtle posted:

I've got an issue here that's being a pain that maybe someone can help me figure out here.

I've got a bunch of really old SQL Server 2000 databases that need to be moved to a SQL Server 2008 server. The databases themselves are largely recreated, but the schema, users, and other miscellaneous objects differ on the 2008 server so a flat "detach database and reattach it" won't work--what I really need to do is transfer just the tables from the older server to the new one.

The problem is the standard "quick and stupid" method of just importing the tables doesn't work, because the identity specification for all the columns is not preserved, even when selecting to enable identity insert. Manually going in and changing each of those identity columns after transferring the tables is certainly possible, but having to do that for several hundred tables is going to be a nightmare.

I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid, because there HAS to be a way to transfer tables from one database to another and still preserve whether or not columns are identity columns. SQL is really a secondary thing I do occasionally and my google-fu is not working up to par to find the answer to this one. Any ideas?

It's probably a lot easier to take care of the non-table objects than to try to "just copy the tables." I would look into backing up the SQL 2000 databases and restoring them onto the SQL 2008 server (definitely *not* detaching and attaching database files!). Run scripts to make changes to the non-table objects.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
For some reason this is a lot harder to figure out than I think it should be. I have an XML file that I want to import into a database table. Specifically it is the eBay CatTree.XML if anyone is familiar with it.

Basically it looks like this:
code:
<Category>
  <BestOfferEnabled>true</BestOfferEnabled>
  <AutoPayEnabled>true</AutoPayEnabled>
  <CategoryID>20081</CategoryID>
  <CategoryLevel>1</CategoryLevel>
  <CategoryName>Antiques</CategoryName>
  <CategoryParentID>20081</CategoryParentID>
</Category>
This is repeated about a million times with every category on the eBay website. I just want to shred the CategoryID, Level, Name and ParentID to a database so I can build some dynamic selectors like what is seen on the eBay website. I can not figure out HOW to do this though. Any hints/links I can read up more on?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

excidium posted:

For some reason this is a lot harder to figure out than I think it should be. I have an XML file that I want to import into a database table. Specifically it is the eBay CatTree.XML if anyone is familiar with it.

Google "XML parser <language of choice>". You could get by with a regular expression hack, but better to use something like Java's SAX parser, format your nodes into an insert query and run the query (or output to flat file for BCP if you really have a million records).

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

excidium posted:

I can not figure out HOW to do this though. Any hints/links I can read up more on?

Whoops, I read this as a PHP question (I have that thread open in another window). You haven't told us which database you're working with.

If you decide this needs to be done with some programming language, here's an example of how you might do it in PHP:

php:
<?
$input = <<<END
<data>
  <Category>
    <CategoryID>20081</CategoryID>
    <CategoryName>Antiques</CategoryName>
  </Category>
  <Category>
    <CategoryID>20082</CategoryID>
    <CategoryName>Baseball Cards</CategoryName>
  </Category>
</data>
END;

$xml = new SimpleXMLElement($input);

foreach ($xml->Category as $cat) {
    echo "insert into blah ... $cat->CategoryID $cat->CategoryName \n";
}
?>
...prints...

code:
insert into blah ... 20081 Antiques
insert into blah ... 20082 Baseball Cards

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 16, 2010

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Having an issue with the non-standard SQL "ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE" command in MySQL 5.0;

code:
CREATE TABLE `bp` (
  `bpId` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `publication` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `brand` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `date` int(11) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`bpId`),
  UNIQUE KEY `bpId` (`bpId`),
  KEY `publication` (`publication`),
  KEY `date` (`date`),
  KEY `brand` (`brand`),
);

CREATE TABLE `bpamp` (
  `bpampId` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `brand` varchar(255) default NULL,
  `publication` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
  `date` int(11) NOT NULL,
  `amp` float NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY  (`bpampId`),
  UNIQUE KEY `brandAmp` (`brand`,`publication`,`date`),
  KEY `pubAmp` (`publication`,`date`)
);

INSERT INTO bpamp 
(brand,publication,`date`,amp)
(SELECT brand,publication,`date`, COUNT(bpId)/100 FROM bp GROUP BY brand, publication, `date`)
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
amp = (SELECT COUNT(bpId)/100 FROM bp WHERE 
brand=VALUES(brand) AND publication=VALUES(publication) AND `date`=VALUES(`date`)
GROUP BY brand, publication, `date`);
The code is designed to maintain a cache of counts of unique key(brand,publicaton,date). All the individual statements work fine, but when combined like this I get the error 'Column 'amp' cannot be null'. This error does not appear if I replace all the VALUES() statements with a valid fixed value - I can only assume that it's not reading values out of the first SELECT statement properly, but I can't seem to find any information on similar issues.

cynic fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 16, 2010

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

cynic posted:

Having an issue with the non-standard SQL "ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE" command in MySQL 5.0;
I think this is happening because your subquery is returning an empty set, which gets treated as NULL because it's being used in a context where MySQL expects a scalar. Now COUNT() usually returns an integer value, even if it's zero, but if you combine it with GROUP BY then it may not (if there aren't any GROUP BY values then the resultset is empty). So I think your WHERE clause is filtering out all the rows. The most likely reason for this is that VALUES is returning NULL. In the documentation, it states that "The VALUES() function is meaningful only in INSERT ... UPDATE statements and returns NULL otherwise". You're using it within the UPDATE clause, but inside a subquery, so I can only guess that VALUES wasn't designed to handle this situation, and it's returning NULL.

I suggest not using ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE here. Instead, check whether a clashing row exists before beforming the insert. To avoid a race condition, lock the table before checking and release the lock after inserting/updating as appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Hammerite posted:

I think this is happening because your subquery is returning an empty set...

Makes sense... I had a think about that, realised I was massively overcomplicating things, and made something that worked;

code:
INSERT INTO bpamp 
(brand,publication,`date`,amp)
(SELECT brand,publication,`date`, COUNT(bpId)/100 FROM bp GROUP BY brand, publication, `date`)
ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE
amp = VALUES(amp)