Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

onemanlan posted:

Whoa I wanna watch that! IMDB Says Release date is "5 May 2010" however there are already ratings up for it. Go figure!

If it was released last month why wouldn't there be ratings for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Cause Im a retarded stoner. Oops. Was thinking 2009, doh. Well I cant seem to find it other than on Amazon and thats $5.99 for a rental. I don't want to pay for it!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

onemanlan posted:

Cause Im a retarded stoner. Oops. Was thinking 2009, doh. Well I cant seem to find it other than on Amazon and thats $5.99 for a rental. I don't want to pay for it!

I think I might be able to dig up some Amazon VOD credit for you...hold on

edit: Nevermind it's all for "select" TV shows. Sorry to get your hopes up!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 30, 2010

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008

discoukulele posted:

I'm in the middle of watching Audience of One and I already feel like I need to share it.

It's streaming on Netflix, and it's also available on Youtube.

Audience of One

I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a documentary.... wow !

Don't think I've seen this one posted in this thread yet
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1299254578438715427&hl=en

quote:

Armin Meiwes (born 1 December 1961) is a German man who achieved international notoriety for killing and eating a voluntary victim whom he had found via the Internet.

After Meiwes and the victim jointly attempted to eat the victim's severed penis, Meiwes killed his victim and proceeded to eat a large amount of his flesh. Because of his deeds, Meiwes is also known as the Rotenburg Cannibal or Der Metzgermeister.

Since entering prison, Meiwes has become a vegetarian and has joined a prisoners' group favoring Green Party politics

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

discoukulele posted:

I'm in the middle of watching Audience of One and I already feel like I need to share it.

It's follows this Pentacostal preacher who saw his first movie, The Lion King, when he was 40-years-old, and became convinced that God wants him to start a film production company that's going to topple Hollywood.

His first movie is called GRAVITY: The Story of Joseph, and it's going to be "a mix between Star Wars and the Ten Commandments". He's got hugely lofty ideas for the film, and after some strange German investors give him $600,000, he and his small crew go to Italy to attempt to shoot the entire film in about 5 days.

It's really hilarious in a Jesus Camp/Hell House sort of way, but as the film progresses, the preacher/director's manic obsession with the film gets creepier and creepier.

It's streaming on Netflix, and it's also available on Youtube.

Audience of One

As someone who worked in film production I have to say this:
YOU ARE ON SITE WITH YOUR FILMING DATES SET AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED THE SCRIPT?
Not even God can help you. (still watching but had to comment 1/3 of the way in as I watch the failure gain momentum).

Edit: Holy gently caress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnqacgbuYZQ#t=66m55s

"If you're doin' business with a religious son of a bitch, get it in writing. His word isn't worth poo poo..."
- William S. Burroughs

And apparently that isn't even good enough.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 2, 2010

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 15, 2019

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Lazenca posted:

I'm looking for a documentary I saw some of a while ago and wanted to finish. It follows a group of kids every seven years, starting from when they are seven. Does it ring any bells with anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_series

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 15, 2019

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just finished watching King of Kong and I must say it incredibly engaging.

As a matter of interest, for those of you have have seen it
I went back and took a look at that shot that showed the "tracking issues" with the copied tape that was submitted by douche-bag oval office (really engaging documentary). Take a look at the frames I extracted.

Click here for the full 1204x878 image.

Frame one is the frame just before the video pops back into place, frame two just after.
There are six major unaccountable inconsistencies. Seriously. This isn't soccer and just because they enjoy poo poo from the 80's doesn't mean they have to live in that time. Took me all of five minutes.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
gently caress Billy Mitchell.

Just watched Through The Wormhole (hosted by Morgan Freeman).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0w4D4ZaAJQ

It's mostly just Theory but nonetheless interesting. It looks at possibilities of our creator existing in scientific theory, doesn't offer much in the way of fact but raised some interesting questions. The segment with the Sims creator saying we are part of a computer programme could have been left out...

truther fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 3, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Been reading through this thread and finding a lot of cool things to watch. You rated this thread '5'! Great job, go hog wild!

My recommendation: Trinity & Beyond, a documentary about the atom bomb. It's well done, and really makes you wonder just what the gently caress people were thinking about to build those weapons -- some of the little "slip-ups" that they had are downright terrifying. Like when some scientists accidentally overlooked one aspect of a reaction and ended up accidentally creating a bomb that was three times as powerful as they expected, more than one thousand times as powerful as the one dropped on Hiroshima, completely destroying all their instruments and scattering fallout over an enormous area. Experiments like "nuclear bombs in space that knocked out electrical power in New Zealand and Hawaii" or "atomic artillery shells" also make you question just what they were thinking. The film also has a lot of restored archival footage of nuclear tests conducted from the 50s to the 70s.

However, the best parts of it, I think, are the sounds. It's narrated by none other than William Shatner, and the music for it was written by a former composer of soundtracks for old B-movie monster flicks -- so the atom bomb is treated sonically like it's a monster from the 1950s, which is a brilliant piece of irony if you ask me.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 3, 2010

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I love VBS's Vice Guide to Travel series. I also love Travel Channel's Bizarre Foods and No Reservations. Any suggestions to other documentaries I would like?

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
Lots of good stuff here so far. Keep 'em coming, please!

Content:
Reclaiming the Blade is a look at the significance of the sword in Western culture. It's a bit all over the place, but does a really great job of tracing the development, death, and modern revival of Western martial arts. Oh, and it's narrated by John Rhys-Davies!

http://www.vureel.com/video/12132/Reclaiming-The-Blade-2009-DVDRip-XviD-SPRiNTER

Invincible Spleen fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 4, 2010

Miss Areola Canasta
Oct 14, 2007

"You lookin' at me?"
Fearless: the Jeb Corliss Story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzQ7pdTfp2g

Sensationalist biography of an idiot BASE jumper - some neat footage.

Miss Areola Canasta fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 3, 2010

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Lazenca posted:

That's the one, thank you very much!

By the way, the second part is called "seven plus seven" instead of 14up. That confused me for a while. Turns out you aren't missing much if you miss the second part, so don't bother looking too hard for it, like I did. Interesting series, though. There is an American version of this project in the works; I think they're up to 28 now, though I can't remember the name of it.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 15, 2019

GoodbyeLaika
May 5, 2009

by Lowtax
Sorry if these have been mentioned already (skimmed the thread for names)

Hell House is an engaging look at a haunted house operated by a Texas church with the goal of scaring people into Christianity. It's fascinating in the same way that Jesus Camp is: it takes it's subjects seriously, even when their views are rediculous. It's on Netflix instant-view if you've got a subscription.

Part 1 of Hell HouseFilm starts at 2:00

The Cats of Mirikitani follows a homeless Japanese-American artist that attempts to reconcile his feelings with America after being put in an internment camp as a child (oh, and we nuked his hometown). It's an interesting study of an infinitely resilient man, but the filmmaker/narrator seems kinda pretentious. Also, the soundtrack rules.
It's available from Netflix, but not on instant-view.

Cats of Mirikitani trailer

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
A few months ago, I caught the last few moments of a documentary about the end of 2d animation at the Disney Studios. It was kind of summing up how the animators, after saving the industry, sort of were shown the door after Pixar made a few blockbusters. Their desks were piled up in storage, and an era of film history came to an end. I can't remember the name of it, and I can't find any mention of it online.
I don't think it's Waking Sleeping Beauty (although this looks like a great film), from what I can tell, "Waking" seems to be more about the rejuvenation of the animation studio after it's flops in the 70's rather than it's demise.
Does anyone know what I saw? It looked really interesting.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Bantaras posted:

It sounds like "Dream on Silly Dreamer"
http://www.dreamonsillydreamer.com/

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Any recommendations for awesome travel documentaries or ones about far out civilizations that us dumb amerikans don't know about?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Here's a good documentary about the British Anarcho-Punk band Crass called
Crass: There Is No Authority But Yourself
http://www.minimovies.org/documentaires/view/crass/full%20movie

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Twisted Echidna posted:

Wonders of the Solar System (I really enjoyed this one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta0_7g8_fB8&feature=related

"Wonders of the Solar System: Empire of the Sun. Professor Brian Cox visits some of the most stunning locations on earth to describe how the laws of nature have carved natural wonders across the solar system.

In this first episode Brian explores the powerhouse of them all, the sun. In India he witnesses a total solar eclipse - when the link to the light and heat that sustains us is cut off for a few precious minutes.

But heat and light are not the only power of the sun over the solar system. In Norway, Brian watches the battle between the sun's wind and earth, as the night sky glows with the northern lights.

Beyond earth, the solar wind continues, creating dazzling aurora on other planets. Brian makes contact with Voyager, a probe that has been travelling since its launch 30 years ago. Now 14 billion kilometres away, Voyager has just detected the solar wind is beginning to peter out. But even here we haven't reached the end of the sun's rule.

Brian explains how its greatest power, gravity, reaches out for hundreds of billions of kilometres, where the lightest gravitational touch encircles our solar system in a mysterious cloud of comets."

You'll probably like Wonders Of The Solar System: Order Out Of Chaos too.
http://www.youtube.com/user/solidaritykai#p/c/3F1A55B4B5E7815D/3/hjrrhG_kLOA

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

heeebrew posted:

Any recommendations for awesome travel documentaries or ones about far out civilizations that us dumb amerikans don't know about?

How about The Long Way Round, Ewan McGregor and his buddy Charlie Boorman ride around the world on motorcycles.
Unfortunately, it's pay only unless you :filez: and I'm not going to advocate that here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnudTnKEiY0

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

heeebrew posted:

Michael Palin's travel docs are nice. Have a look at http://www.palinstravels.co.uk/, then check Youtube.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Underflow posted:

Michael Palin's travel docs are nice. Have a look at http://www.palinstravels.co.uk/, then check Youtube.

Yeah. I probably like Terry Jones better as a Python, but his (mostly historical) docs are a bit vanilla and popsci for the most part. Palin's films are more personal and very entertaining, because not only is he funny, he's also one of the nicest guys you'll ever see.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Anyone who is into performance art knows about Bob Flanagan. Mr. Flanagan was the oldest survivor of Cystic Fibrosis and a bit of a bondage fanatic.

His documentary "Sick: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist" is really amazing. It is SUPER hosed up if you don't know what he does, but if you're adventuresome in the sense that goatse didn't make you puke when you first saw it, instead causing you to wonder how that guy did that, then don't research him and just watch it. It starts off pretty tame, so once you see a penis or two on screen you will get an idea of what you're getting into. It doesn't just throw you into his more extreme works. If you can't handle "gross" or painful things, don't bother.

It's on Netflix streaming right now.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
The six bucks for the Amazon rental of "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia" is definitely worth it. I'm a fan of "American Hollow" and it's that x100.

Tentakulon
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD THE REMAINS OF ANCIENT AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT! IF ONLY GBS WOULD LISTEN TO ME. MY TALK COULD SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE SAME FATE! ALSO BOOK YOUR SEATS NOW FOR PEAK OIL TO HIT THIS SUMMER!
BBC Natural World: A Farm for the Future

Follows a woman who inherits an old farm and tries find the most sustainable way to operate it. It explains how conventional agriculture is hugely dependent on oil, destructive to the environment, and will generally have to change, and introduces some mind-blowing alternative concepts.

In the same way, and in parts even more fascinating: Farming with nature.
Sepp Holzer has been growing all sorts of fruit and vegetables, and operating an aquaculture system on a mountainsides in the Austrian Alps for the last 40 years. Instead of using fertilizer, pesticides, or crop yielding machinery, he tries to benefit from the effects of symbiosis and the smart use of ponds, slopes, and terraces. The result is a stunning Garden of Eden-like area, where anything you can think of grows wherever you set foot, and the soil gets richer and richer every year, all by itself.

Both of these films will change the way you look at farming, gardening, and food production in general, and will raise your hopes for a better future.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Lazenca posted:

I'm looking for a documentary I saw some of a while ago and wanted to finish. It follows a group of kids every seven years, starting from when they are seven. Does it ring any bells with anyone?

I was fortunate enough to be taught in my documentary module at university by Claire Lewis (a producer who's worked on the Up Series for the past 35 years).

It's great to see people other than UK-ers have been exposed to them - and if anyone hasn't seen them, they're well worth digging out and taking a look.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can anyone recommend good documentaries abouut depression/mental illness/suicide? I watched The Bridge and it had a bit of an impact on me and I want to see others like it. Call me macabre but this sort of thing moves me somehow. Do not alert the authorities.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Testro posted:

I was fortunate enough to be taught in my documentary module at university by Claire Lewis (a producer who's worked on the Up Series for the past 35 years).

Nice. Did you have a chance to discuss the series much? I admire the way it's been holding together for so long. Couldn't imagine participating in something like that myself, though. Must be awful to see your life rushing by in 7-yr instalments. Or perhaps the subjects themselves avoid watching it altogether.

Tentakulon posted:

In the same way, and in parts even more fascinating: Farming with nature.

That one's very interesting indeed.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 4, 2010

Nazerel
Jul 23, 2004
He blew his mind out in a car

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone recommend good documentaries abouut depression/mental illness/suicide? I watched The Bridge and it had a bit of an impact on me and I want to see others like it. Call me macabre but this sort of thing moves me somehow. Do not alert the authorities.

You can try Boy Interrupted. It's about a kid suffering from depression for almost his entire life, and his eventual suicide. It's been playing on HBO for awhile now.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Underflow posted:

Nice. Did you have a chance to discuss the series much? I admire the way it's been holding together for so long. Couldn't imagine participating in something like that myself, though. Must be awful to see your life rushing by in 7-yr instalments. Or perhaps the subjects themselves avoid watching it altogether.

Yeah, we talked about it a little - mostly at the start of the year when she was talking about the programmes that she'd worked on. Sadly, we didn't talk too much because the rest of the class were a little lacking in knowledge. For instance, despite an instalment being on the previous year, nobody else had seen any of them (ok, about 1/3 of the class were foreign students, but even so...).

We did watch some of them in class so that the others could catch up, and it was interesting to find out that she was the one who traced Neil after he completely disappeared. It was very strange re-watching them with the rest of the group, and knowing how his life was going to turn out - like they all said, you really wouldn't pick it from his first interview.

What I find odd about the series is that each instalment, you're 7 years older yourself - so you look back at the ones where they're 21, for instance, and you see them as being quite young...but 7 years ago, I thought they were ever so grown up at 21...

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Yes, that's a funny side effect - though I had to wait a bit longer before their age zoomed past mine. Did she say anything about whether they'll continue till the end, i.e. when the first participants run into serious age-related trouble or worse?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone recommend good documentaries abouut depression/mental illness/suicide?

There's Stephen Fry's "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive"
He discusses this with various celebrities who also suffer from it (Robbie Williams, Carrie Fisher, himself.) as well as others who are afflicted.

Part 1
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTUzODU1MDg0.html

Part 2
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU0MTUyNTQ4.html

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
In about a week's time, I'll be heading up a "movie making" camp for middle schoolers and I'd love to include both behind the scenes documentaries on the making of specific movies and the history of film making in general. Can anyone recommend anything particularly good?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Asphalt Engine posted:

In about a week's time, I'll be heading up a "movie making" camp for middle schoolers and I'd love to include both behind the scenes documentaries on the making of specific movies and the history of film making in general. Can anyone recommend anything particularly good?

It's been mentioned before, but Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse covering Coppola's Apocalypse Now is really entertaining, both from a professional and layman's viewpoint.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.

Bantaras posted:

A few months ago, I caught the last few moments of a documentary about the end of 2d animation at the Disney Studios. It was kind of summing up how the animators, after saving the industry, sort of were shown the door after Pixar made a few blockbusters. Their desks were piled up in storage, and an era of film history came to an end. I can't remember the name of it, and I can't find any mention of it online.
I don't think it's Waking Sleeping Beauty (although this looks like a great film), from what I can tell, "Waking" seems to be more about the rejuvenation of the animation studio after it's flops in the 70's rather than it's demise.

WebDog posted:

It sounds like "Dream on Silly Dreamer"
http://www.dreamonsillydreamer.com/

Thanks! That was it. I was able to get it at the itunes store for $1.99.
Kind of depressing though. However, I didn't recognize very many of the animators. (I think most of the more famous ones bailed out and migrated to Dreamworks or Pixar) Towards the end, it was close to just being a video about a few folks whining about how they can't make $100,00 bonuses anymore.

I wanted to see how they went from making complete trash that no one wanted to see, to making record breaking animation, to then making nothing again. Guess I'll have to wait for "Waking" but I don't think its gonna be released on video any time soon.

jholland
Feb 25, 2006

Heidey-ho neighbors!

Wandering Idiot posted:

The Union: The Business Behind Getting High

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007&ei=BhqCS9utHYjCqQK847jZAg&q=the+union

I highly, highly recommend this documentary. If you couldn't give two shits about weed, skip to half way through and watch from there. The second half is more about the corruption behind why weed is still illegal, and talks about the inner workings of the privatized jail system, pharmaceutical companies, and a lot more. It pisses you off but informs you at the same time, and it's really a great watch.

It also shows you a guy who is one of the best examples of why medical marijuana can be incredible. He has muscular sclerosis and can barely function at the beginning of the interview, but it's pretty cool what happens after he smokes a little.

jholland fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I'm suprised it hasn't been posted here yet, but may I humbly suggest

Jeremy Clarkson's The Greatest Raid of All Time

It's about the St. Nazaire raid, one of the most daring military actions in the history of warfare. More Victoria crosses were awarded in the course of this Raid than in any other single engagement as well as being the proof of concept for modern special forces operations. It's a really good watch.

Youtube Links Part 1-6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgF0R4dhUqk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5q8eU9ku2Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1kwL7SK1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBj9K03ygU0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHB2dyKfSM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBWaxyRdW80