Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Again, in my opinion they absolutely, demonstrably were, but obviously you disagree. I think it's silly to try to compare them since they were so clearly still over and getting lots of attention while until very recently Kozlov just fell into obscurity and the crowd just didn't seem to care at all.

I can see where ur coming from, but would anyone rather feud with rene dupree and kenzo suzuki on smackdown than guest hosts and regal on raw? And tbf those guys were/are a lot more talented than kozlov. so I guess what I'm saying is they were shunted down the card proportionately, lol

You could also add test, steiner, nash, and khali to the list but honestly they had no business being in the main event anyway. Maybe umaga too - I mean he was competitive against cena and lashley but triple h dominated him so decisively that he spent 2008 losing clean to everyone.

Again I'm not saying the guy personally enjoys burying people - a lot of these depushes were for other reasons (drugs, putting over the new world title) but triple h has been like the human ceiling for years. Kozlov wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

:wrestlehutgoonsay: snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I really miss Eddie. He was so awesome. It's like the only (quasi)celebrity death that I got really upset over

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Web Jew.0 posted:

Yes jericho was so successful after his hhh feud that he went from winning 3 world titles in four months to toiling in the midcard for six years

Rvd was maybe the hottest star after rock and austin. He wasn't even on the main card of the wrestle mania after his hhh program (19, match got bumped to heat)

Kane was his tag team partner

I don't think anyone will suggest that h did any favors for booker t (except maybe financially I guess)

They've all done ok since and triple h probably didn't personally want to bury lots of people but, imho, 2003 jericho or 2004 rvd weren't really higher on the card than kozlov is now

Chris Jericho and RVD have not once in their WWE careers ever been as low on the cards as Kozlov is right now. They don't even give matches to Kozlov at the moment, while matches were pretty much what WWE counted on RVD and Jericho to deliver when they were midcarding (and almost certainly making far more money than Kozlov is now).

Neither of these guys got de-pushed because of Triple H. Come on, this is bullshit I would expect to see on a much shittier board. Their jobs were to provide solid wrestling cards and put people over while the WWE tried to push new people as well as some WCW names. Being in the midcard is not indicative of trouble with Triple H. Shawn Michaels did not hold another world title after 2003. I guess Triple H was really pissed at him and didn't want him stealing his thunder!

WWE waited on RVD for an entire year and then built a huge new angle around him that involved a new TV show with him as the headliner. When he got in trouble, they de-pushed him but still fought hard to keep him signed. Chris Jericho left the company in 2005 after doing some main events with Cena, came back after two years of relative obscurity on the wrestling scene, and was given a main event spot and a long feud with HBK.

If you believe that Kozlov would receive this treatment, or that he's popular enough with crowds to merit it, you're straight up crazy.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Chris Jericho and RVD have not once in their WWE careers ever been as low on the cards as Kozlov is right now. They don't even give matches to Kozlov at the moment, while matches were pretty much what WWE counted on RVD and Jericho to deliver when they were midcarding (and almost certainly making far more money than Kozlov is now).

Neither of these guys got de-pushed because of Triple H. Come on, this is bullshit I would expect to see on a much shittier board. Their jobs were to provide solid wrestling cards and put people over while the WWE tried to push new people as well as some WCW names. Being in the midcard is not indicative of trouble with Triple H. Shawn Michaels did not hold another world title after 2003. I guess Triple H was really pissed at him and didn't want him stealing his thunder!

I'm not saying they got depushed because of Triple H. Did you read my last post?

And well maybe I didn't include Shawn because that wouldn't make any sense; I never said everyone who works a program with H gets depushed after. Triple H busted his rear end to make main eventers out of Benoit, Batista, Orton, and possibly a fourth person.

quote:

WWE waited on RVD for an entire year and then built a huge new angle around him that involved a new TV show with him as the headliner. When he got in trouble, they de-pushed him but still fought hard to keep him signed. Chris Jericho left the company in 2005 after doing some main events with Cena, came back after two years of relative obscurity on the wrestling scene, and was given a main event spot and a long feud with HBK.

This just seems like a really untruthful way to represent things.

Jericho jobs to Triple H... SCENE MISSING... Jericho has "some main events with Cena" (1 on ppv. 1 on raw. both losses).... goes on hiatus... SCENE MISSING... Jericho is a world champion again!

RVD jobs to Triple H... SCENE MISSING... ECW is reborn four years later and RVD is world champion!

Yes the Triple H secret formula for success. i see it now.

quote:

If you believe that Kozlov would receive this treatment, or that he's popular enough with crowds to merit it, you're straight up crazy.

yeah you're probably right here though. For the longest time I thought he was a repackaged Sylvester Turkay.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
For the first time in almost 10 years I bought an Apter mag today. What is wrong with me?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Why didn't Kozlov try MMA around the time he was winning Sambo and Kickboxing championships?

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000

DannoMack posted:

Why didn't Kozlov try MMA around the time he was winning Sambo and Kickboxing championships?

Because MMA is fake

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DannoMack posted:

UFC did not make him wery happy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Yes the Triple H secret formula for success. i see it now.

Their career trajectories have absolutely nothing to do with their match history with Triple H. Win-loss records do not matter, but they matter even less when a guy is popular and is respected for his abilities.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

The Sambo tournament he won wasn't exactly prestigious and he's only done a little kick boxing. That and Sambo isn't the greatest base for MMA.

The real reason is that he loves Double Double E and is only lukewarm to Single F C.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

The Sambo tournament he won wasn't exactly prestigious

I remember hearing there were only like 4 people in the tourney he won.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

how often has the "intercontinental/US title is #1 contender for the world/WWE/WCW title" rule been used? I think I remember Booker T using it towards the end of WCW and I know I've heard it elsewhere

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lamuella posted:

how often has the "intercontinental/US title is #1 contender for the world/WWE/WCW title" rule been used? I think I remember Booker T using it towards the end of WCW and I know I've heard it elsewhere
I think Warrior/Hogan and Goldberg/Hogan was based on it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It was also used as the reason for DDP getting a title shot against Sting in late winter of 98. It was used more often during the earlier days of the title.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

Fucken_Gieux posted:

That was Tajiri. Eddie was so over, however, that the drat crowd wouldn't let him turn, cheering loudly as he heeled it up.

Oh that's right, it was Tajiri. I remember now.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Was Chris Hero kinda tubby at one point? In the new Botchamania there are clips of him wrestling Punk and he looks really doughy.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Was Chris Hero kinda tubby at one point? In the new Botchamania there are clips of him wrestling Punk and he looks really doughy.

Yeah, he was fat for a while. He started getting in much better shape recently and made the switch to trunks.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
Sylvester Terkay, I miss the guy. Where is he?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Moose Bigelow posted:

For the first time in almost 10 years I bought an Apter mag today. What is wrong with me?

Who is the number six contender to the WWE Title? And are there enough tag teams to fill out a top ten anymore?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Scott Justice posted:

According to Cagematch he's done some IGF and Zero-1.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Why is Meltzer the go-to guy for Star Ratings?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Why is Meltzer the go-to guy for Star Ratings?

because the observer is the only newsletter with credibility, and you really shouldn't be taking them as gospel to begin with. basically just use his star ratings as an indicator for what an awesome match is and to what degree.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

because the observer is the only newsletter with credibility, and you really shouldn't be taking them as gospel to begin with. basically just use his star ratings as an indicator for what an awesome match is and to what degree.

Yeah, I don't really pay attention to star ratings, I was just wondering why everyone waits for HIS reviews.

Basically he's king nerd?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CapCityGoofBall posted:

Yeah, I don't really pay attention to star ratings, I was just wondering why everyone waits for HIS reviews.

not so much that, its just that he's pretty much the only credible pro wrestling journalist, however he does have a (self admitted) bias to japanese style wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CapCityGoofBall posted:

The Observer has been running for nearly 30 years, and he's been doing star ratings so people associate him with ratings. In reality he doesn't really care that much about them, and match analysis makes up a very small part of the Observer. But people get all up in arms about them either way. Granted he's a pretty good authority to use since he's done this forever and has talked to or is friends with so many legends of wrestling that there really isn't anyone better qualified to rate matches.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

This is the best subforum. Thanks for the quick answers

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

CapCityGoofBall posted:

This is the best subforum.

I like QCS better.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

The A-Team Van posted:

I like QCS better.

You WOULD

edit:

ok, yeah that place is hilarious

ARMBAR A COP fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 3, 2010

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

ColeM posted:

Why did Rick Rude leave the WWF back in the early nineties?

I was going to say because they were burying him, but then I checked and found he didn't die until 1999 so the pun wouldn't work.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
I thought Rude left because of money since he was headlining with Warrior that Summer and they were using his image to sell shows, but he wasn't getting anything from it.

Which is a shame since he would have been feuding with Boss Man at the peak of his career. I always thought he should really have beaten Perfect at Wrestlemania VII, but then Bret wouldn't have gotten the title later.

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Scott Justice posted:

he's going to be in the upcoming zero-1 fire festival. he's a Brody knock-off

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

TL posted:

Who is the number six contender to the WWE Title? And are there enough tag teams to fill out a top ten anymore?

Yes they have enough tag teams but they have to stretch to do it by including developmental and japan. By WWE title do you mean raw or smackdown?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Moose Bigelow posted:

Yes they have enough tag teams but they have to stretch to do it by including developmental and japan. By WWE title do you mean raw or smackdown?

I mean Raw. Does Apter write for the Apter mags again?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

TL posted:

I mean Raw. Does Apter write for the Apter mags again?

No he does not.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
How did Wrestlemania 2 work for the fans in attendance at one of the three arenas? Did they only get to see 4 matches each live and have to watch the rest on video screens? Or were there dark matches that Wikipedia doesn't list? I'd feel kinda ripped off if I went to Wrestlemania and only got to see 4 matches live.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Their career trajectories have absolutely nothing to do with their match history with Triple H. Win-loss records do not matter, but they matter even less when a guy is popular and is respected for his abilities.

Not to do with matches but rather HHH's opinion of you in creative meetings. He's famously been reported on saying that RVD couldn't connect with the fans and that Kurt Angle wasn't big enough to be a main eventer.

If HHH doesn't like you then it'll take a huge amount of skill and charisma to become a main eventer in spite of him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sonicice posted:

How did Wrestlemania 2 work for the fans in attendance at one of the three arenas? Did they only get to see 4 matches each live and have to watch the rest on video screens? Or were there dark matches that Wikipedia doesn't list? I'd feel kinda ripped off if I went to Wrestlemania and only got to see 4 matches live.

They got the live matches and then the rest on closed circuit. If you went to Wrestlemania 2 you wouldn't think "gently caress, THIS IS WRESTLEMANIA! WHY DID I ONLY GET FOUR MATCHES LIVE!" because Wrestlemania wasn't nearly as big of a deal then as it is now, and seeing shows on closed circuit was more common. Wrestlemania 2 isn't the only example of this, the Ali/Inoki match was a part of I believe 3 shows that had live portions and closed circuit portions, and it was done with Starrcade as well.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Lamuella posted:

Did Rey use it against Punk last year on Smackdown? I think he did

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Nah. The smackdown title went Punk, Undertaker, Jericho (at Elimination Chamber). Rey and Punk's feud didn't start until after Punk lost the title - it was right after he feuded with referee Nick Harris and R-Truth.

I have a question. How many different types of heels are there? There's complaints that all WWE heels are the same, but there has to be a lot of different ones.

I guess the spectrum goes from Overtalkative to the Mute Monster Heel. In between you have the bad character traits (arrogant, which includes narcissism like Martel and Rick Rude), disgusting (Snitsky), betrayers (Macho Man) and I guess crazy people (Edge, at times).

There are also cultists/creepy people (Papa Shango, The Brood). But I know I'm missing some and I don't even know what my organizational system is.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nobody asked this question, and I didn't want to derail the WWE Discussion and put it there, but I just found out that one of Shane Carwin's trainers are Ron "H2O" Waterman, a former wrestler who was also a terrible Scott Steiner ripoff and a member of the first TNA PPV in the Gauntlet for the Gold.

I just find that interesting on several levels. I doubt he helps train Carwin due to Lesnar, but the guy looked like a heavy duty juicer. With MMA's fear of getting busted for that, I wonder how monitored he is.