Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

HooKars posted:

Okay everyone. Let's try REALLY hard to help me get this job. I know we went over good questions to ask during interviews awhile back but does anyone have any other good ones - specifically for someone not entering the summer program.
I think my favorite was the one along the lines of "Are there any questions that I have not hit on that you wish I would have asked?" It's more of a closer than anything but it certainly does sound like a well polished "Did I miss anything?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I have an intern who seems to be uncommonly bad at every task I've given him. This isn't my first intern and I know not to expect much out of law students in terms of actually knowing anything. However, this one fucks up even the simplest research assignments and it takes me lots of time and multiple corrections to get him to make even routine motions ready.

Technically, this shouldn't even be my problem as he is not MY personal intern, but after turning in a few botched assignments every other attorney in the office avoids him like the plague. I feel sorry for the guy, but babysitting isn't in my job description and I'm starting to give him fewer and fewer assignments because I'm tired of spending unnecessary hours cleaning up after his mistakes.

Advice?

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

GamingHyena posted:

I have an intern who seems to be uncommonly bad at every task I've given him. This isn't my first intern and I know not to expect much out of law students in terms of actually knowing anything. However, this one fucks up even the simplest research assignments and it takes me lots of time and multiple corrections to get him to make even routine motions ready.

Technically, this shouldn't even be my problem as he is not MY personal intern, but after turning in a few botched assignments every other attorney in the office avoids him like the plague. I feel sorry for the guy, but babysitting isn't in my job description and I'm starting to give him fewer and fewer assignments because I'm tired of spending unnecessary hours cleaning up after his mistakes.

Advice?

What specifically is his failing? Is it something he could fix?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

GamingHyena posted:

Advice?

Send him to court to watch proceedings, or "second chair" some routine poo poo.

Petey posted:

Just got back from 10 days in Alaska.

Cons: not Guam; indeed, Alaska
Pros: still insanely beautiful, and you can probably find work as one of those people who poses as a mountie as the cruise ships dock

The Bethel, Alaska DA's office is practically begging people to apply. Pretty good cost of living bonus, and good fishing. The residents of bustling Bethel hate DAs though. And the PD is everyone's best friend. It's like a bizarro world.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 3, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

The Bethel, Alaska DA's office is practically begging people to apply. Pretty good cost of living bonus, and good fishing. The residents of bustling Bethel hate DAs though. And the PD is everyone's best friend. It's like a bizarro world.

Better than Barrow. Probably. Of course when the russians invade, you'll be the first against the wall

And if the citizens give you poo poo for being an ADA you could say "I didn't come to Bethel Alaska to make friends!" and be honest, how else would you get the opportunity to say that

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 3, 2010

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Doesn't Alaska literally pay you to live there?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

On another forum I go to, I heard about how this thread is the most depressing thing ever, so I decided to pop in and take a look. I'm going to graduate school for public administration instead of law, and taking a class on law as an undergrad taught me two things.

1. I'm able to do law.
2. I don't want to do law because a lot of stuff is counter to common sense, and I don't want to change my way of thinking for work.

Also, I decided to go to grad school for an MPA before I started taking that class.

I feel sorry for most of my friends who are going to law school. I have friends who graduated with me who are going to Drexel, Seton Hall, Hofstra, and Rutgers-Newark, and one of my friends one year ahead of me is at Vermont. Since they're not top law schools, I have a feeling that they're going to be out on the street and in debt, unless their parents are paying for them.

One friend has it made, though. He graduated as a finance major and decided not to go into the industry because it was the start of the financial crisis. He took a year off and took the LSATs, getting 90th percentile. He's now got a full ride to Cardozo.

Keep on fighting the good fight, folks, you're braver than I.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

GregNorc posted:

Doesn't Alaska literally pay you to live there?

Yeah. And no taxes. And the cost of living bonus in Bethel is absurd. Of course, so is the cost of living. Also, Bethel is literally a shithole.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BigHead posted:

Yeah. And no taxes. And the cost of living bonus in Bethel is absurd. Of course, so is the cost of living. Also, Bethel is literally a shithole.

How so? A um, friend wants to know

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Ainsley McTree posted:

How so? A um, friend wants to know

Probably 90% of the towns people are soul-crushing alcoholics. I think it's a damp town (booze only in homes, no bars) but it might be wet. Did you ever do a case race in college? Where you and some frat friends sit down a see how quickly you can drink 24 beers? They do that, except it's two guys and twelve quarts of vodka, and it's every day.

And it's super isolated. It's way off the road system, which means you have to fly to Anchorage. I think it's a large enough town to have basic modern amenities, but I don't really know for sure.

Edit: It's also one of the ADA offices where people show up and immediately get in line for the good offices. A lot of ADAs pay their dues in lovely places before moving to better areas. And the pay is insane, as I mentioned, because of the cost of living bonus. I don't know the exact figure, but a similar rural PD job paid like $125k starting. It's also beautiful if you like fishing.

The ADA office also just advertised for Kodiak, which I don't know anything about.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 4, 2010

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Question for any current/former Northwestern students - I'm looking at housing right now, and I have found some apartments in Grammarcy and Onterie. Any reviews on what living there's like? Price is important to me but Onterie has potentially enough freebies for being at Northwestern that it might equalize it.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Got an interview with a federal judge for a fall externship! Getting the position would have to help the clerkship chances at least a little, right?

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

J Miracle posted:

Got an interview with a federal judge for a fall externship! Getting the position would have to help the clerkship chances at least a little, right?

Unless you screw up so terribly you get blacklisted. Maybe.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

Yeah, but only for networking. What with the whole OSCAR thing federal judges are still going to be looking at big lists of GPAs and universities and law review statuses, so it'll only help you out to the extent that you can get some influential people to say "hey, highlight this guy's name on the spreadsheet"

And it does help! I know a guy from Northeastern (a T2 school with no grades and no law review) who got a federal clerkship on account of rear end-kissing, so just hold your nose and dive right in tongue first

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
First two clients for our new firm! Pretty excited! :)

And we've now got agreements with other organisations to refer clients to us!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Readman posted:

First two clients for our new firm! Pretty excited! :)

And we've now got agreements with other organisations to refer clients to us!

Formal agreements to refer clients? In my jurisdiction, that is a big no-no in the ethics department.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Y-Hat posted:

2. I don't want to do law because a lot of stuff is counter to common sense, and I don't want to change my way of thinking for work.

Hahahaha grow up. "Common sense" is what lazy people hide behind when they can't explain something. And you'll probably change your way of thinking as you get older and a little more mature.

quote:

One friend has it made, though. He graduated as a finance major and decided not to go into the industry because it was the start of the financial crisis. He took a year off and took the LSATs, getting 90th percentile. He's now got a full ride to Cardozo.

A full ride at Cardozo is not having it made.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nor is 90th percentile on the LSAT that good.

how loving ridiculous is that

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

entris posted:

Formal agreements to refer clients? In my jurisdiction, that is a big no-no in the ethics department.

It's not with other law firms, don't worry.

Edit: or formal, for that matter.

Readman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 4, 2010

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Readman posted:

It's not with other law firms, don't worry.

Edit: or formal, for that matter.

I'm not calling you out by any means, because states have different rules about this thing. In my state, you can actually split fees with an attorney on a referred case by having them stay on as co-counsel, even if they don't do anything, but you can't have any sort of formal referral arrangement with anyone, attorneys or non-attorneys. "Formal" being the key word of course, you are still allowed to reach out to other organizations and make it known that you are more than happy to provide legal services for their customers / employees / whatever.

What kind of law does your new firm do?

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

Haha, no problem. :) You actually made me go and double-check our state's ethical rules. They only make mention of referrals in a couple of instances. Firstly, in conveyancing, where you are getting a tonne of client referrals from a particular real estate agent and, secondly, where you are accepting but not disclosing a fee or benefit for the referral). Neither of those applies, though.

Area of practice: Civil litigation - primarily personal injury and employment litigation. I would prefer to do solely employment, but personal injury pays the bills.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

I don't understand how this even makes sense in relation to what a lawyer does.

GamingHyena posted:

I feel sorry for the guy, but babysitting isn't in my job description and I'm starting to give him fewer and fewer assignments because I'm tired of spending unnecessary hours cleaning up after his mistakes.

Advice?
In a "I'm not a lawyer but this is my two cents anyways" way, my position would be to continue doing what you're doing: diminishing the number of projects your handing him. If you feel inclined to do so, I would mention something to whoever this intern's mentor is so that they can have the appropriate conversation if deemed necessary.

You should in no way feel compelled to continue to give assignments to someone you know who will fail miserably. Maybe if you wanted to babysit and explain how he's screwing things up and help him along then continuing to hand him projects would make sense. However, as you have already stated, that isn't your responsibility and you shouldn't feel compelled to extend yourself to establish that sort of mentor relationship.

:colbert:

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 4, 2010

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Y-Hat posted:

On another forum I go to, I heard about how this thread is the most depressing thing ever, so I decided to pop in and take a look. I'm going to graduate school for public administration instead of law, and taking a class on law as an undergrad taught me two things.

1. I'm able to do law.

Also, I decided to go to grad school for an MPA before I started taking that class.

I feel sorry for most of my friends who are going to law school. I have friends who graduated with me who are going to Drexel, Seton Hall, Hofstra, and Rutgers-Newark, and one of my friends one year ahead of me is at Vermont. Since they're not top law schools, I have a feeling that they're going to be out on the street and in debt, unless their parents are paying for them.

Keep on fighting the good fight, folks, you're braver than I.

This is all wrong. You might be able to do the law but you can't do it 'well.' Getting an MPA and making GBS threads on a JD is like someone with a degree in finger-painting making fun of someone with an economics degree. As hosed as we are, you are much more schadenfreude worthy.

Law is not common sense. In fact, a lot of the more interesting defenses are based off of using counter-intuitive but well established principles of common law to gently caress people over.

Also, Cardozo is not worth admittance at any price. 3 years job experience selling your body on the street is more economically and intellectually valuable than a Cardozo JD.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

BigHead posted:

Of course, so is the cost of living.

In Skagway one of our guides paid $640 a month for an 8x5 foot camper (with no bathroom or shower; YMCA for those) resting on 10 square feet of land literally right next to where the passing scenic trains dumped their latrine waste.

Also in Alaska you will still die alone - the male/female ratio is around 10:1 and this is a thriving personals publication sold in all the drugstores:

e: plus, if you live in the more temperate (think chillier England) part of Alaska in the southeast, it rains literally an average of 320 days a year. Between that, and $6 gallons of milk, I can understand why even being paid to live there is not enough for most, despite views like this:

hence a population density of 1.03 per square mile (Vermont is 80 per square mile by comparison, and New Hampshire 146).

Petey fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 4, 2010

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Petey lies. Alaska owns.

Although Skagway is one of those towns that wouldn't exist if the tour boats / Juneau ferry didn't stop there.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Skagway is literally the worst town name I've ever heard

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
So yesterday I was driving along and saw a gigantic personal injury lawyer billboard.

I looked closer and realized that it was someone I was a summer associate with back in the day.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Draile posted:

Petey lies. Alaska owns.

Alaska absolutely owns, but after visiting it I can understand why prolonged exposure would drive people to Russian levels of drinking.

I also understand the genesis of Russian levels of drinking.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Mookie posted:

So yesterday I was driving along and saw a gigantic personal injury lawyer billboard.

I looked closer and realized that it was someone I was a summer associate with back in the day.

If he has a giant billboard, there's a good chance he's making more money than the rest of your SA class combined.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Adar posted:

If he has a giant billboard, there's a good chance he's making more money than the rest of your SA class combined.

I am aware of that. It was just the first time that I directly knew a billboard lawyer.

I mean, dude went to Harvard Law, he's not a moron.

Secret Asian Man
Jun 17, 2006

Direwolf posted:

Question for any current/former Northwestern students - I'm looking at housing right now, and I have found some apartments in Grammarcy and Onterie. Any reviews on what living there's like? Price is important to me but Onterie has potentially enough freebies for being at Northwestern that it might equalize it.
no idea what grammarcy is but tons of people live in onterie, seems p standard

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I bought $60 worth of fireworks for tonight, none of the really good stuff but some fun things, and now I'm debating whether to bring our kitchen's fire extinguisher with me. There is a park nearby, and apparently that's where my neighborhood goes to set off fireworks. So that's where we're going.

I would never have thought about bringing a fire extinguisher with me, before law school. And now that I've thought about bringing the extinguisher, part of me is saying "Well, if you're so worried about someone getting hurt, maybe you shouldn't be lighting fireworks and maybe you shouldn't go down to the park where other idiots are lighting fireworks." SHUT UP ATTORNEY BRAIN YOU NEVER LET ME HAVE ANY FUN

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Petey posted:

In Skagway one of our guides paid $640 a month for an 8x5 foot camper (with no bathroom or shower; YMCA for those) resting on 10 square feet of land literally right next to where the passing scenic trains dumped their latrine waste.

There are some towns in Alaska where housing is super expensive because land is so limited (between valleys, on an island, etc) that they can't physically build enough houses for everyone who wants to live there. In many cities near coast guard bases, they will buy any land at market value, site unseen, as soon as it goes on the market. In other parts of Alaska, there are still homesteading cities where as long as you agree to improve the land the government will give it to you for free.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

1. I'm able to do law.

Out of curiosity, what do you think "doing law" is based on one undergrad class?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you think "doing law" is based on one undergrad class?
ACLU stuff.
He'd be happy just making $100k with the ACLU or a PD, he's not expecting to get some high paying big firm job or something

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
charlie kelly does law

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JohnnyTreachery posted:

charlie kelly does law

Objection!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I'm taking Bird Law next semester I hear its not based on logic

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Mookie posted:

I am aware of that. It was just the first time that I directly knew a billboard lawyer.

I mean, dude went to Harvard Law, he's not a moron.

bush went to harvard and yale

your friend may very well be a moron, as suggested by the billboard

Y-Hat posted:

...taking a class on law as an undergrad taught me two things.

1. I'm able to do law.
2. I don't want to do law because a lot of stuff is counter to common sense, and I don't want to change my way of thinking for work...

MPA...

This thread attracts some of the best trolls in the business; hope everybody is taking notes

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lykourgos posted:

your friend may very well be a moron, as suggested by the billboard

I love lawyers who dislike advertising, because it means that I can treat my law firm like a normal business and out-compete them.

If a billboard ad brings in X new clients, and X*Y new revenue, and it only costs <X*Y, why wouldn't you do it?

Too many law firms act like non-businesses, and it's a stupid, antiquated attitude. Maybe that attitude worked back in Pythagoras' day, but nowadays a business is a business, and it's all about the numbers.