Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

TOOT BOOT posted:

Every time I die in the Steam version of Deus Ex the game gets bugged until I reinstall it. Up until I die, I can use the mousewheel normally. Afterwards the selector moves but I can't actually switch away from item 1.

Also, if I try restarting the game I keep all the items I had before I died, and all the crates are restocked too.

Kind of puts a damper on finally finishing this.
Those two bugs are one and the same. You keep all your items because the game doesn't properly clear your inventory when you start a new game, and then you get the "mousewheel" bug because you now have two pistols in your inventory, which isn't supposed to happen. Just make sure you're at the main menu and not ingame when you start a new game and you'll be fine.

Reading the last few pages, I'm glad to see some people are enjoying BioMod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Lork posted:

BioMod is ruddy awesome. Hacking computers with the remote bot makes me feel even more of a sneaky fucker than ever.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

Remember: to enable 'mantling' you have to rebind the jump key after you have installed BioMod.
How do you do that?

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Grey Fox V2 posted:

How do you do that?

Go into controls, and set the jump key again. I have no idea why you have to do this, but it is what it is.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it also doubles as a way of disabling mantling, for that guy earlier who apparently wanted to disable it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Grey Fox V2 posted:

"You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands."

Whoa.

To this day, I still find it amazing that Morpheus has always just been a one-shot, blink-and-you'll-miss-it optional encounter, and is still probably the coolest NPC you meet in the game.

Squirl
Aug 8, 2004
You're lucky I couldn't think of anything better

Lork posted:

All except for the conditions of the no gun challenge. Pepper spray and signal flares are guns somehow, which really hampers my No Aug, Gun and Kill challenge.

Now I'm using the honor system.

Also I managed to score a Blackjack off of the body of the first NSF agent on Liberty Island :woop:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Squirl posted:

All except for the conditions of the no gun challenge. Pepper spray and signal flares are guns somehow, which really hampers my No Aug, Gun and Kill challenge.

Do flares actually do anything? I never bother picking them up since they seem so useless and your basic starting aug completely replaces their function anyway.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

AXE COP posted:

Do flares actually do anything? I never bother picking them up since they seem so useless and your basic starting aug completely replaces their function anyway.

They're nice for diverting attention in some situations, especially when you have to come out of a vent or manhole on the sly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They're also nice early on, when you don't have a lot of biocells available.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
I got pretty far into this game(To Paris) but I never finished it, then I lost my file. I've tried restarting it a few times so I don't have it in me to play through liberty island again even though I know it picks up so goddamn good afterwards.

Ughhh I guess I should go try again

Captain_Red
Mar 2, 2007
I'm a Captain

3 posted:

To this day, I still find it amazing that Morpheus has always just been a one-shot, blink-and-you'll-miss-it optional encounter, and is still probably the coolest NPC you meet in the game.

Did anyone else get a slight John the Baptist vibe from Morpheus?

"I am a prototype for a much larger system."

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

3 posted:

Holy poo poo. I've never even encountered Morpheus before. Where/when do you do so?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

OregonDonor posted:

Holy poo poo. I've never even encountered Morpheus before. Where/when do you do so?

In Morgan Everett's house. There's a secret door (wait, is it secret?) you can access in the lab Alex is in which leads to the room containing Morpheus

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 19, 2011

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

AXE COP posted:

The original intent was to have enemies see and react to the player's light, but the Unreal engine couldn't do this. This is why there are IR goggles and the Night Vision aug, as well as flares and flare darts. As is, they're a mediocre way to create a distraction.

In Shifter, flare crossbow darts set the target on fire... maybe they did something like that with flares, dunno.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Frankosity posted:

In Morgan Everett's house. There's a secret door (wait, is it secret?) you can access in the lab Alex is in which leads to the room containing Morpheus

Not a secret, it's next to the thingy with plants and water. Bypass the keypad, or find the code in Lucius' room. (need lockpicks).

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

DVD Drive posted:

The door's not hidden but it has a passcode iirc.

Yeah, I think you have a choice between either using up multitools on the door code (lots of them), or lockpicking the door in the bathroom that leads to Lucius DeBeers, where there is a computer that you can hack for the code. I think.

I definitely missed Morpheus the first time through. He is damned cool though.

[e] :argh:

I wonder how hard it would be to code a white phosphorous grenade and add it in as something that randomly shows up. Just recolor a gas grenade and make it explode with the WP rocket's explosion, right? It would be super useful.

VVVVVVVV doesn't that get alex pissed off at you? I remember once he killed me with a shotgun.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 3, 2010

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 19, 2011

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
What I really love about this game are the little details and unexpected events, like in Paris when you're searching a room and the phone rings. I think there are ringing phones prior to that (nice scare when you're quietly sneaking through some offices), so when you pick it up at this stage you don't expect anything. And presto, robot on the blower.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm playing through Invisible War again and I'm encountering a very serious problem. After about two hours worth of play, the game grinds to a halt and everything, from the game to the menus, play at half a frame per second. I tried all the work arounds online I could find. Disabling V-synch, setting it to using only one processor in the Task Manager.

Has anyone tried anything or know anything that fixes this problem? Or does the game simply not like another above single core processors?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jimbot posted:

I'm playing through Invisible War again and I'm encountering a very serious problem. After about two hours worth of play, the game grinds to a halt and everything, from the game to the menus, play at half a frame per second. I tried all the work arounds online I could find. Disabling V-synch, setting it to using only one processor in the Task Manager.

Has anyone tried anything or know anything that fixes this problem? Or does the game simply not like another above single core processors?

That kind of errors sounds like the save errors older games would sometimes get, where your save files would get so drat big that it ended up slowing teh engine down trying to autosave constantly. That's assuming IW even has autosave, though, I never got around to playing it, even though I actually bought the drat game at release, ha.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

To be honest, I think that's exactly the problem. I tend to save a lot in Deus Ex games. Invisible War is the only game that has this problem, though. That unofficial fix in the OP helped out with the original, so I never had slowdown problems with the game.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Frankosity posted:

Oh wait, I remember Morpheus now. Didn't he want you to free him or kill Everett? I can't recall which.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

OregonDonor posted:

Oh wait, I remember Morpheus now. Didn't he want you to free him or kill Everett? I can't recall which.

That was Lucius Debeers, he wanted you to unplug his life support and let him die.

Unless there's a conversation with Morpheus that I completely missed.

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
I've been playing this so slow now, like I just got to the sea lab level, I almost don't want it to end.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ainsley McTree posted:

That was Lucius Debeers, he wanted you to unplug his life support and let him die.

Unless there's a conversation with Morpheus that I completely missed.

Hahahah, Lucius wanted you to tell Everett to adjust his thermostat. I pulled the plug though, just because I'm a jerk.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tentaclesex posted:

Hahahah, Lucius wanted you to tell Everett to adjust his thermostat. I pulled the plug though, just because I'm a jerk.

It's been a while since I've played that part but I could have sworn there was more to it. I think it went something like:

Lucius: Tell Everett to adjust my thermostat

JC: Sure.

Everett: Lucius? Oh we keep him cold to preserve him so we can use him as a think tank (or something like that).

JC: Hey Lucius, Everett is purposely keeping you cold so he can use you.

Lucius: What? Bullshit! I'll show him, go to that computer and kill me, nobody does that to Lucius Debeers.

JC: Everett, I killed Lucius

Everett: What a shame.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's been a while since I've played that part but I could have sworn there was more to it. I think it went something like:

Oh, awesome. I should have figured more would come out of it if you talked to Everett. That's cool. I never went as far as to bring it up, I just shut that poo poo down.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tentaclesex posted:

Oh, awesome. I should have figured more would come out of it if you talked to Everett. That's cool. I never went as far as to bring it up, I just shut that poo poo down.

I mean the button is right there, how can you not

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

The Supreme Court posted:

BioMod is ruddy awesome. Hacking computers with the remote bot makes me feel even more of a sneaky fucker than ever.
Thanks. I always thought it would be a lot more fun to use it to actually spy on people, rather than as a guided EMP grenade.

Rusty Rickshaw posted:

Go into controls, and set the jump key again. I have no idea why you have to do this, but it is what it is.
The reason is technical and boring. It should be a bit more clear that you have to do it in the next version, at least.

Squirl posted:

Now I'm using the honor system.

Also I managed to score a Blackjack off of the body of the first NSF agent on Liberty Island :woop:
Well, it is called the Pepper gun after all. I assume by signal flares you mean the crossbow darts, in which case, yeah, I goofed. It'll be fixed in the next version.

orange lime posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to code a white phosphorous grenade and add it in as something that randomly shows up. Just recolor a gas grenade and make it explode with the WP rocket's explosion, right? It would be super useful.
Not hard at all, except for the recoloring part. At least if you're like me and have no visual art skills.

tentaclesex posted:

If you want to be REAL dick, you have to tell him that he's being used and then leave him hanging. What a rotten way to live.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Lork posted:

Not hard at all, except for the recoloring part. At least if you're like me and have no visual art skills.

If you're interested in adding it in, post the texture here and I'll paint it for you and re-upload.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

I remember one time I was in the lucky money in hong kong, and I bought a (child?) prostitute who followed me around, even down into the secret gangster board room downstairs behind the bar. I left the secret room through the stairs without breaking the windows, but she didn't follow me up. Then I was walking around the dance floor and she came bursting through the two-way mirrors to catch up with me.

This phenomenon can happen at the DuClare Chateau, too. If you climb into the vent to get into Beth DuClare's secret room, Nicolette will try to come in through the door that's blocked. She'll run at the beams for like 6 seconds and then they all explode to clear her way. NICOLETTE SMASH

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Christoph posted:

This phenomenon can happen at the DuClare Chateau, too. If you climb into the vent to get into Beth DuClare's secret room, Nicolette will try to come in through the door that's blocked. She'll run at the beams for like 6 seconds and then they all explode to clear her way. NICOLETTE SMASH

What a duketastrophy.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

When you have to shut down the generator, there's the giant fight between UNATCO troops and NSF dudes. I let them kill each other and proceeded to go to the locked door at Osgood. Me pulling forth my lockpick and am about to begin picking, when BAM! NSF trooper blows the door down and starts shooting me in the face.
I screamed like a girl.

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005

Christoph posted:

Also happened to me in hong kong with the prostitute. I decided to break my way into the convenience store, but was too lazy to pick the door (or find some other way, maybe a key), so I just shattered one of the glass panes. Waited the alarm out, killed the guards, explored the area, etc. I'm just about done with the prostitute bursts in through the glass and sets off the alarm again.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
Played through Invisible War

1) Universal ammo sucks balls.
2) The levels are tiny. There's much less exploration.
3) I couldn't work out how to get it to run in 16:10 so all of the characters wound up looking chunky.
4) In DX1 there were lots of rewards - augs, weapon upgrades, rare ammo, skill points, credits, etc. They've stripped out so much that the rewards that are left (augs, credits, weapon upgrades) are so heavily overused that they cease to have any impact.
5) The weapons suck compared to DX1. Where the gently caress are my WP rockets or HE20 grenades?
6) You're way less powerful in DX2 than in DX1 and the augs are less useful.
7) The engine itself sucks to the point that they'd have been better sticking with the Unreal Engine and boosting the polygon counts.
8) The story is the least bad bit but that's not saying much.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I've never even talked to Lucius deBeers or met Morpheus :ohdear:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

AXE COP posted:

I've never even talked to Lucius deBeers or met Morpheus :ohdear:

Go back and at the very least listen to EVERYTHING Morpheus has to say.

You will have your god and you will make it with your own hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This past Thursday was the day I finally finished Deus Ex for the first time. I now feel a void that no other games are filling. :(

Maybe I should install a mod and play it again.