Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Looks like DVDBeaver prefers the Criterion Red Shoes over the region B release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Thirteen gigs of additional movie space is nothing to sneeze at. The Criterion does have more grain detail, which is sort of a tiny thing to talk about but it does illustrate the extra bitrate. I still can't wait to see this, though, waiting for this Blu-Ray is just like anticipating a theatrical release.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's an Amazon pre-order page for Deadwood: The Complete Series.

Holy poo poo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Like hell it was complete, there so needs to be a 4th season. :smithfrog:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Holy poo poo

:psyduck:

Next thing you know there will be a loving Laurence of Arabia release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

El Jackalope posted:

:psyduck:

Next thing you know there will be a loving Laurence of Arabia release.

I thought there was one coming, or what movie am I maybe thinking of? Or did something just fly over my head just now?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I thought there was one coming, or what movie am I maybe thinking of? Or did something just fly over my head just now?

Sony is having it digitally re-restored at 8K from the original 65mm elements.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

Holy poo poo
As someone just getting into the series, I am SO loving glad I went with my instinct to rent the discs from Netflix instead of buying the dvd sets. Now I have no excuse to grab the blu release.

Interesting that they have box art but no date yet, though.

Ramen Noodles
Apr 13, 2006
Feeding poor college students since 1970!
If you have a Borders nearby, and a Borders card, you should check out their Blu Ray deal. Everything 50% off. Just nabbed the Life discs for $37.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Ramen Noodles posted:

If you have a Borders nearby, and a Borders card, you should check out their Blu Ray deal. Everything 50% off. Just nabbed the Life discs for $37.

Is there a coupon I need to print? I couldn't find any mention of a Bluray deal on their site.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's in-store only. You don't need a coupon, just a rewards membership (free to join).

I was going to grab a couple of the latest Criterions there for $20 a pop but it looks like the B&N sale is coming back this month, so I'll hold off a bit to save a few more bucks.

Oh, I forgot to mention my Korean copy of Thirst came in yesterday. After watching I think I can safely say it's the best $35 I've ever spent on a single Blu-Ray. Although I should be getting Andrei Rublev in today, so that could change at any given moment...

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 3, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
God drat The General looks amazing.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
What the hell is with the US cover???

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

What, you don't like the perfect hi-def LOOK AT THESE TWO DUDES AND THE FILM TITLE

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Not sure how many people will find this amazing, but Fanboys is coming to bluray on July 27th. I think this movie is awesome but i'm probably part of a small crowd.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

doctor thodt posted:

It's in-store only. You don't need a coupon, just a rewards membership (free to join).

I was going to grab a couple of the latest Criterions there for $20 a pop but it looks like the B&N sale is coming back this month, so I'll hold off a bit to save a few more bucks.

I wouldn't get too excited anyway, I went this morning and my store only had about 8 different Criterion blus in stock. Luckily they had two I wanted but I was pretty disappointed with the selection.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I used it to pick up Pinocchio and Blade Runner. I may go to another one tomorrow that has Last Year at Marienbad in stock but I'll probably just sit on my money until the big B&N sale.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

Daveski posted:

I wouldn't get too excited anyway, I went this morning and my store only had about 8 different Criterion blus in stock. Luckily they had two I wanted but I was pretty disappointed with the selection.

I went today to finally join the BluRay club. They had a decent selection at my local one for what is in general a small movie selection. But, always check their website before you go - it updates pretty frequently. Picked up, The Man Who Fell to Earth and Revanche.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kieslowski fans:

http://www.amazon.fr/Trois-couleurs-double-v%C3%A9ronique-Blu-ray/dp/B003UC4QLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1278248472&sr=1-1

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Shame that most french releases do not include english subtitles. Let's see about that one...

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True, although this could possibly be indicative of an impending UK release by Artificial Eye, in which case subs and region coding hopefully wouldn't be a concern.

Kinkajou
Jan 6, 2004

doctor thodt posted:

Holy poo poo

Hey, maybe this means we'll get Six Feet Under soon....right guys?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kinkajou posted:

Hey, maybe this means we'll get Six Feet Under soon....right guys?

I can't imagine SFU not eventually getting a Blu-Ray release

Bad news is that a release could come out in 2015 for all we know, and it'll have the usual horseshit HBO Premium.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Blair Witch Project 8/31
Delicatessen 9/14
The Third Man 9/14
Iron Man 2 10/5

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Russian Ark was shot uncompressed with an HD camera.

Will it ever see an actual HD release in home video :smith:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I notice that BFI are putting out Tokyo Story, Late Spring, and Early Summer on Blu-Ray in a couple of weeks... does anyone know how good their Blu-Rays usually are or am I best waiting for reviews first?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BFI's Blu-Rays are terrific. If you have a region-free player then I have little doubt that they'll be a worthwhile purchase.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow, it looks like we may finally be getting the complete Grindhouse on Blu. From Edgar Wright's twitter:

quote:

So, get this, tomorrow I am doing a commentary on 'Don't'. Some of you will know what that means is finally happening.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Edgar Wright has this to say: So, get this, tomorrow I am doing a commentary on 'Don't'. Some of you will know what that means is finally happenin

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha, within seconds of each other.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

Oh wow, it looks like we may finally be getting the complete Grindhouse on Blu. From Edgar Wright's twitter:

Oh my god gently caress yes

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

BFI's Blu-Rays are terrific. If you have a region-free player then I have little doubt that they'll be a worthwhile purchase.

Well I'm in the UK anyway so all's well.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I have the original cases for The Third Man and The Last Emperor. If anybody wants/needs them, just pay the shipping and they are yours. I don't want to throw them out.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Sporadic posted:

I have the original cases for The Third Man and The Last Emperor. If anybody wants/needs them, just pay the shipping and they are yours. I don't want to throw them out.
Do they have Essays?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Lucas posted:

Do they have Essays?

No, just the cases and slipcovers. I put the booklets into my new cases I received from Criterion.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 5, 2010

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

doctor thodt posted:

I just pooped my pants a little bit. This was one of my favorite theater experiences and I only got to go once, so this is going to be awesome.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I was just making a jab that I've been complaining forever that HBO hasn't made Deadwood a blu-ray title since I bought my PS3 back when it was released. Laurence has been announced forever and hasn't been released, so I was doing a dumb 'signs of the apocalypse' joke.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bad Boys 2 and Lawrence of Arabia at this point are Blu-Ray's versions of Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Captain Charisma posted:

Bad Boys 2 and Lawrence of Arabia at this point are Blu-Ray's versions of Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2.

And what exactly does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

And what exactly does that mean?

They've been "in the works" since the inception of the format but won't actually be released until the devil is spotted wearing a parka.

• Locked thread