Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

xgalaxy posted:

If I have 15x 750GB drives what would be the optimal raidz2 configuration?
If it were me I would do 2x 5+2 raidz2 pools w/ 1 hot spare, leaving you with a single zfs pool w/ an effective size of 7.5Tibi, which is more like 6.5 TB. If you don't really need the iops you might be able to do a single 11+3 raidz3 w/ a hot spare.

With 2 raidz pools, you can combine them into a single zfs pool, and can even expand the pool later with another 7 750GB drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Combat Pretzel posted:

What the gently caress is it with recent SATA drives?

I think we came to a point where the industry has come to consider mechanical hard drives as replaceable, and to the average consumer, infinite in size. I can see where hard drive manufactures will think to themselves - why make a 2TB drive reliable, nobody will ever fill it? Plus, considering that most consumer drivers are under $150 now-a-days, why should they even try?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

adorai posted:

If it were me I would do 2x 5+2 raidz2 pools w/ 1 hot spare, leaving you with a single zfs pool w/ an effective size of 7.5Tibi, which is more like 6.5 TB. If you don't really need the iops you might be able to do a single 11+3 raidz3 w/ a hot spare.

With 2 raidz pools, you can combine them into a single zfs pool, and can even expand the pool later with another 7 750GB drives.

This is storage for an htpc serving video and audio data. I'm not sure if I would need incredible amounts of iops. At first glance the 11+3 sounds appealing, but looking further it's really only increasing my usable capacity by another 750GB. Are there any other advantages? Are there any advantages to the 5+2 setup? (eg. can one of the pools spin down if its not being utilized).

Thanks.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

xgalaxy posted:

it's really only increasing my usable capacity by another 750GB. Are there any other advantages? Are there any advantages to the 5+2 setup? (eg. can one of the pools spin down if its not being utilized).
Your data will be evenly distributed between the pools, so no, one pool will never spin down while the other works. Advantages to 5+2 would be you can expand with only 7 disks in the future, instead of 14. Advantages of 11+3 would be an addition 750GB of capacity, and you have to lose 4 disks from the same pool before you lose data, instead of 3 disks from one pool.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Also about the PSU, if you're running that system 24/7 and accessing it frequently, the cost of electricity may need to be considered. When starting up that machine from cold (or hell, warm) boot, it'll use a lot of space unless your controller supports staggered spin-up.

Anyone have a recommendation on Solaris compatible (or LiveCD) burn-in software for RAID arrays? My usual deal of testing out drives individually before putting them in an array might not work so hot now I think about it. Even then, I just have a script that loops around the drive doing dd reads and writes back and forth from the first sector to the last, and that's pretty lame.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I'm getting random file system corruption on my RAID array. The RAID controller seems the most likely culprit. How can I go about testing/narrowing things down? Neither Windows nor the controller software are reporting any sort of events; I just have random corrupt files and chkdsk errors.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

adorai posted:

So I was thinking about the same thing a few days ago but, never got around to testing it

If I have a parent zfs pool tank which is composed of a single raidz pool, I can just continue to expand the tank pool by adding other raidz pools under it. Essentially creating a growing drive while maintaining raidz protection of my data?

Basically trying to get a large pool of protected storage from jbods (in the literal sense of a pile of unused drives)

ATLbeer fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 3, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ATLbeer posted:

So I was thinking about the same thing a few days ago but, never got around to testing it

If I have a parent zfs pool tank which is composed of a single raidz pool, I can just continue to expand the tank pool by adding other raidz pools under it. Essentially creating a growing drive while maintaining raidz protection of my data?

Basically trying to get a large pool of protected storage from jbods (in the literal sense of a pile of unused drives)

Yeah. You start with a single zpool composed of a raidz vdev. You can add additional vdevs to the pool, provided each vdev is of the same type. So you could have a 4+1 raidz vdev, a 6+1 raidz vdev, and a 2+1 raidz vdev all in one big pool, and ZFS gives no shits. It might have funny performance as it hits each vdev in turn hunting for the files in needs, but it'll work just as reliably as a homogeneous pool of 5+1 vdevs.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Concerning an opensolaris install; Is there an optimum bios configuration I should be using a guide? I have a ta785ge mobo, and while I can get it to install/boot to/from a sata device, trying to use IDE results in failure in getting fdisk started during the gui install from the live cd, yet I can still see the ide device in the format utility and so on... (Ideally I want to install to an IDE drive while making a zpool of 6x1tb sata drives).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah. You start with a single zpool composed of a raidz vdev. You can add additional vdevs to the pool, provided each vdev is of the same type.
Actually, you can mix vdev types, it just requires you to use the --force flag. It's to prevent you from doing stupid poo poo, like accidentally adding a disk as single disk vdev instead of a spare. ZFS still doesn't support vdev evac.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yeah. You start with a single zpool composed of a raidz vdev. You can add additional vdevs to the pool, provided each vdev is of the same type. So you could have a 4+1 raidz vdev, a 6+1 raidz vdev, and a 2+1 raidz vdev all in one big pool, and ZFS gives no shits. It might have funny performance as it hits each vdev in turn hunting for the files in needs, but it'll work just as reliably as a homogeneous pool of 5+1 vdevs.

I haven't done this in a while and I think I'm forgetting something here

I have created a bunch of files to use to create my raidz vdevs

code:
sudo zpool create basetank1 raidz -f /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk1 /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk2
sudo zpool create basetank2 raidz -f /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk3 /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk5

sudo zpool list
NAME        SIZE   USED  AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH  ALTROOT
basetank1   191M   156K   191M     0%  ONLINE  -
basetank2   143M   153K   143M     0%  ONLINE  -
Now when I go to create the pool

code:
$ sudo zpool create tank /basetank1
cannot use '/basetank1': must be a block device or regular file
I think I worked too much this week and my brain is too fried.. Obviously my basetank1 raidz isn't a device or a file.. So?

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

You created two pools. You want to create one pool comprised of the two vdevs:
code:
zpool create tank raidz /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk1 /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk2 \
 raidz /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk3 /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk4

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

lilbean posted:

You created two pools. You want to create one pool comprised of the two vdevs:
code:
zpool create tank raidz /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk1 /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk2 \
 raidz /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk3 /home/adam/zfstest/dev/disk4
:doh:
Thanks

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I realized I have enough spare stuff around that I can build a FreeNAS box with enough storage to fit everything important on it (possibly everything if I can find a my 4th 300gb drive, or get a good compression ratio). Unfortunately, my spare stuff does not include a CD drive, and trying to install FreeNAS without using a CD drive is not making me happy.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Any tips for maintaining throughput with ZFS compression enabled? I'm stuck with 100mbit ethernet for now, so things aren't exactly blazing along in the first, and enabling gzip compression cuts throughput another 10-20%. It's not a CPU limit; at gzip-6 it's not even breaking 15% usage.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
Ok.. I need a recommendation here..

2 trips to Fry's and two strike-outs on PCI eSATA cards. Both used Silicon Image chips (3512, 3112) and both will only recognize the first drive on my array with a SATA multiplier.

I've been going through NewEgg trying to find other cards not using the SIL chipset and finally found one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124011

But, eventually found buried in the reviews
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16816124011

quote:

Thank you for purchasing our products. We apologize for any inconvenience. The eSATA port only works with regular enclosure with one hard drive. Please make sure the external storage device you use does not have a port multiplier which have more than one hard drive (RAID tower enclosure or similar). All of our products come with at least 3 years warranty. Please don't hesitate to contact us at support-us@syba.com for replacement.

Regards,
Syba Customer Service 821

All I'm looking for at this point is a PCI card that gives me a SATA (I have a SATA-eSATA cable) or eSATA port which works with a downstream SATA multiplier.

Sigh..

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ATLbeer posted:

Ok.. I need a recommendation here..

2 trips to Fry's and two strike-outs on PCI eSATA cards. Both used Silicon Image chips (3512, 3112) and both will only recognize the first drive on my array with a SATA multiplier.

I've been going through NewEgg trying to find other cards not using the SIL chipset and finally found one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124011

But, eventually found buried in the reviews
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16816124011

All I'm looking for at this point is a PCI card that gives me a SATA (I have a SATA-eSATA cable) or eSATA port which works with a downstream SATA multiplier.

Sigh..
I had the same problem a few months back you need something with the Sil 3124 chipset and the latest bios and drivers from the silicon image website. I eventually found a card from a seller in hong kong via ebay. This is probably your best bet not to be ripped off.

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&LH_AvailTo=3&_nkw=sil3124

thats probably a good starting point.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

HERAK posted:

I had the same problem a few months back you need something with the Sil 3124 chipset and the latest bios and drivers from the silicon image website. I eventually found a card from a seller in hong kong via ebay. This is probably your best bet not to be ripped off.

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&LH_AvailTo=3&_nkw=sil3124

thats probably a good starting point.

Thanks for the insight on the right SIL chipset to get. Looking through SIL's website the chipset you mentioned seems to support what I need

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=27

NewEgg has SIL3124 products but, they are all SYBA... http://bit.ly/9KkINt

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.... Which one will be card purchase #3

Just found this guy... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816321010

That looks promising (I only have PCI slots available... PCI/PCIx means it should work in a PCI interace? The connector in the picture looks odd to me) -- Slightly tired and getting PCI, PCIx, PCI-Express all confused again.. It's been a while. PCIx is compliant with PCI

Here's another one but, actually has very promising reviews for a function almost identical to mine
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816318004

ATLbeer fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 5, 2010

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Zhentar posted:

Any tips for maintaining throughput with ZFS compression enabled?

Solution: use more than one thread :v:

New problem: FreeNAS SMB is incredibly slow. When I'm copying one or two large files, I have no problem saturating my network connection. But many smaller files, like 100k sized, and a 32-thread robocopy only hits 1-2 mbit/s. Getting the folder size/file count for a directory with 71,000 files took over 10 minutes.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

So, I've managed to get a crap load of DDR3 ECC BUFFERED ram (From a server install)

Does anyone know of a motherboard that can support this ram ?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
In the past month or so since I have been running my new DIY "old parts" server I have managed to consume almost all its available space. I am going to be transitioning some stuff to a new setup shortly.

Can I unplug my current RAID drives, stick them into another system, and copy the mdadm.conf file and have everything mount like normal with the proper fstab adjustments?

DEVICE partitions
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=0.90 UUID=54a70d7b:e0a91f8f:b9f21045:e87bad95
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=0.90 UUID=ba244485:c25e2ff9:c1811b64:f9cf9fcb

Do UUIDs identify the same partition/device inside any system as long as the data on the drives is still intact?

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

dietcokefiend posted:

In the past month or so since I have been running my new DIY "old parts" server I have managed to consume almost all its available space. I am going to be transitioning some stuff to a new setup shortly.

Can I unplug my current RAID drives, stick them into another system, and copy the mdadm.conf file and have everything mount like normal with the proper fstab adjustments?

DEVICE partitions
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=0.90 UUID=54a70d7b:e0a91f8f:b9f21045:e87bad95
ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=0.90 UUID=ba244485:c25e2ff9:c1811b64:f9cf9fcb

Do UUIDs identify the same partition/device inside any system as long as the data on the drives is still intact?

Yes they do :D if worse come to worse you can still assemble the raid manually (mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

dj_pain posted:

Yes they do :D if worse come to worse you can still assemble the raid manually (mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1)

Can any improper mdadm.conf loading or assembly commands gently caress up a RAID array?

Jamy
May 8, 2007

by I Ozma Myself

dietcokefiend posted:

Can any improper mdadm.conf loading or assembly commands gently caress up a RAID array?

I can't guarantee for sure, but I've done both with my array and worse (created a logical volume on top of the raid volume and had to repair using xfs_repair). My raid was also automatically created using 2, 3 and 4 devices at some points. I had to remove the devices each time. Even when I had to re-synch due to some of these errors, I never lost more than 2 drives at once, so I would say you're good.

Oh I just noticed you are using raid1. I still think you're good.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
:neckbeard: It worked without any problems

The Masked Unit
Feb 10, 2010

Sir, I challenge you to fisticuffs!

How much of a sucker would I be for buying either a Drobo S or Drobo FS for my home backups/media serving? It seems horrendously overpriced to me, but I really don't want to deal with setting up my own home server. The built-in Time Machine support for my Macs and ease of setup definitely seems attractive. Other similar 4-5 bay NAS/DAS devices all seem like enterprise-grade, unintuitive wind-tunnels.

I've got 5 2TB WD RE drives sitting here begging to be used. :(

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Get a Synology unit, dont look back ;)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

I'm in almost the exact same boat. Synology offers two 5-bay units, as far as I can tell. The DS509+ is 6 years old and discontinued, while its new replacement the DS1010+ is still $1000. I think I'll go with a Drobo.

edit: I suppose their 4-bay stuff is a lot more affordable.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 8, 2010

Stewie
Jul 11, 2003
What the deuce?

dietcokefiend posted:

Quoting this because I'm very happy with my DS210J after spending months looking for an affordable NAS. Right now I'm using it as a UPNP server to stream video to a WDTV and Xbox 360, accessing shared volumes via AFP on our two Macs, using its Time Machine service for backups, and running the "DSAudio" service for remote streaming access to my music. It's small, quiet, low-power, stable, and pretty drat fast over gigabit LAN. I also love how much you can tweak and configure it.

In the interest of full disclosure I've also had a few issues with it:

• I couldn't get it to hold a stable connection with jumbo frames enabled. This actually may be an issue with my Airport Extreme. File transfer performance is still fast enough so this doesn't bother me.
  • The audio streaming and UPNP services require that you put your files in specific paths on the server (e.g. /video, /music, etc). You can get around this by tweaking /etc/rc.local to add mount points to your desired paths.
  • Direct backups to USB drives attached to the NAS are extremely unstable. This is a well-documented bug that has a 10 page thread on the Synology forums with no clear solution. Basically certain USB drives tend to eject themselves during large back-ups. This is the only bug I've encountered that really annoys me, and hopefully it gets fixed soon.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm in almost the exact same boat. Synology offers two 5-bay units, as far as I can tell. The DS509+ is 6 years old and discontinued, while its new replacement the DS1010+ is still $1000. I think I'll go with a Drobo.

edit: I suppose their 4-bay stuff is a lot more affordable.

Technically you could get this:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/ds410/spec.php

And put the 5th drive in an external bay connected via eSATA and create a 5 disc RAID5.

Phlyarologist
Feb 12, 2009
Ok, so I'm in the market for a network NAS/file server/etc and remembered/started looking at the drobo, trying to compare it vs freenas, etc.

So I popped on here and saw at least one vocal critic against the drobo, and several recommendations for Synology, which I checked out but seems to have hard limits to the max space available (basically # of bays * 2GB, presumably no drive can be bigger than 2GB). Drobo, on the other hand, advertises "Easy Expansion to 10TB and Beyond" but doesn't really expand on that.

I'd like to buy something that will hopefully last long enough to scale with ever-increasing storage needs, and so far the drobo seems to fit the bill. Yes, I realize that the idea of keeping a piece of modern hardware around for that long is a pipedream, but humor me.

That aside, how is the throughput on the new Drobo FS?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Zhentar posted:

New problem: FreeNAS SMB is incredibly slow. When I'm copying one or two large files, I have no problem saturating my network connection. But many smaller files, like 100k sized, and a 32-thread robocopy only hits 1-2 mbit/s. Getting the folder size/file count for a directory with 71,000 files took over 10 minutes.

Updates:
-I disabled "Remote Differential Compression" on the advice of internet forums. I then found out Microsoft says this shouldn't matter at all. I'd swear it's avoided some long delays I'd been experiencing. I'll have to revisit it and test more thoroughly later.

-Speaking of inaccurate internet advice, the oft-supported setting included in the FreeNAS system tuning, net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0. Eyeballing wireshark logs, setting that to 1 got me somewhere around 30% improvement for querying file details.

I can still get a directory listing off of my old XP laptop on 100mbit well over three times faster than my FreeNAS box on gigabit.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zhentar posted:

I can still get a directory listing off of my old XP laptop on 100mbit well over three times faster than my FreeNAS box on gigabit.
Historically, FreeBSD has had poor CIFS performance when compared to solaris, linux, or windows.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

adorai posted:

Historically, FreeBSD has had poor CIFS performance when compared to solaris, linux, or windows.

So I've been gathering. Wish I'd known that before I let you guys sell me on ZFS/FreeNAS.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Zhentar posted:

So I've been gathering. Wish I'd known that before I let you guys sell me on ZFS/FreeNAS.
export your pool and import it into an opensolaris install. Problem solved.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Oh yeah. You can do that. That would make migrating much easier...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Found a quick and dirty method of dropping my server case temps. Moved my server from my first floor into my dark cold basement in a corner. :mmmhmm:

CPU used to idle around 66C, now its around 60C. HDD temps are also down about 2-3C.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Any opensolaris users out there give a quick bit of advice? In the process of moving from an old antecII case with a 4x1tb raidz1 to a new case with 6x1tb raidz, using a pci-e 1x card with two addition sataII controlled by a sil 3132 (thought it was opensolaris compatible...) on svn_134. (destroying 3+1 array and recreating as 5+1)

Anyway, how do you install such a card? Very open-solaris newbie here, and plug-and-play (and reboot) don't seem to cut it... not seeing the two additional drives in the format utility, nor any updates appear in the package manager.

Bonus: new case has a bit of... split personality, 30$ newegg special + coolermaster 4-in-3 adapter.
Off:

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

ON

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

How I hate blue LEDs,.. I'll take a peek to see if I can cut them out later. Sorry for crappy iphone pics, real camera busy doing this :v:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Netgear announced their new ReadyNAS Ultras today and they've got me rethinking that Drobo, but ouch at the price:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/08/netgears-readynas-ultra-4-and-ultra-6-stream-to-tivo-mobile-a/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
What do you guys recommend for meeting these requirements:

* Small/compact size (something like a enclosure form factor). Mid tower is too big.

* Low power requirements.

* Quiet

* Samba support.

* Treat all drives as one giant source but not in a raid setup. Meaning if one drive fails only the data on that drive is lost, not all drives.

* 4 bays capable of hosting 2tb drives per bay

* Gigabit connectivity with decent throughput.

* As a bonus but not required ability to host apps such a newsgroup client and/or media server (Twonky).

* SSH/SFTP support would be nice too