Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Well, I'm going for it.

dotCommunism, you should watch Spartacus. I saw it years ago, but I was really impressed with the acting. Douglas and Olivier are at the top of their game in that movie. There isn't much of a Kubrick quality to the movie, but early Kubrick is still kind of interesting like that.

My list:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: As much as I love Westerns, I haven't seen that many of them. I want to learn more about the genre. I think biopics about famous Old West figures are fascinating because of the ways people make legends of figures who only existed a relatively short time ago.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Clash of the Titans: (the first one) I always wanted to see this movie. I really like Harry Hamlin for reasons even I can't explain. I'm guessing I'll be watching it too late to enjoy it. But I saw Earth Girls Are Easy for the first time just a few months ago and absolutely loved it, so I'm not afraid of a little 80s cheese.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
High and Low: I watched as much Kurosawa as I could find to prepare for a term paper I did on him. But I didn't get to this movie. It's the movie of his I've wanted to see most, especially since I've never seen any of his non-period pieces.
The Hunt For Red October: I haven't read any Clancy and I haven't seen a Jack Ryan movie in a dog's age. I keep hearing glowing stuff about this movie, and I don't understand the appeal. I'm sure, though, that like Das Boot or Crimson Tide, I'll understand when I actually watch it.
Raging Bull: I love Scorsese and I love DeNiro. How this movie has slipped by me all these years I don't understand.
Rashomon: Another Kurosawa movie I didn't get to. I remember thinking the story structure was extremely interesting, and even though I know a lot about how the movie stats, progresses, and ends, I still know I'm missing something by not actually watching it.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why was it frustrating? I'll watch My Life as a Dog tomorrow.

Well, the events of the movie (and by extension the events they were based on) were frustrating, not so much the movie itself. Just the amount of the government did and was able to get away with was frustrating (and depressing).

Also My Life as a Dog is notable as one of the only movies you've listed that I've actually seen.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why was it frustrating? I'll watch My Life as a Dog tomorrow.
Frustrating in the same way as The Battle of Algiers or Murder on a Sunday Morning?

*edit*
Oh hey, a second page. Well, I'm not watching Jules and Jim until morning, but Hunt for Red October is gonna run wild on you when I do.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

CloseFriend posted:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford As much as I love Westerns, I haven't seen that many of them. I want to learn more about the genre. I think biopics about famous Old West figures are fascinating because of the ways people make legends of figures who only existed a relatively short time ago.

Going with this one. It's not necessarily a western though, just happens to be set in that era.

The Night of the Hunter was pretty good. There were a couple parts that I found a bit cheesy (like Powell chasing the kids up the stairs), and I wasn't totally satisfied by the ending. However, I really liked the story and Robert Mitchum is a creepy sinister son of a bitch. I also really liked the sequence when the kids are floating down the river, it had a nice dream- (or nightmare-)like quality to it.

Updated list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

La Grande Illusion Same as Rules of the Game, and hey, they're even directed by the same guy.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, The Night of the Hunter

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower watch La Grande Illusion because you really need to watch some Renoir if you're calling him that guy.

dotCommunism posted:

Well, the events of the movie (and by extension the events they were based on) were frustrating, not so much the movie itself. Just the amount of the government did and was able to get away with was frustrating (and depressing).

Ahh, that makes sense. The only other Costa-Gravas film I've seen is State of Siege and that one certainly made me feel that way too.

Just watched My Life as a dog, it was a nice movie, and yeah it wasn't all that depressing. A little sad definitely, but more of a bittersweet life goes on feeling. Some if it felt too quirky and I can't say I loved it, but I did like it and the way it made me think about coping mechanisms and growing up.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Satantango Hey there's maybe a pattern in the films I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

The Man Who Fell To Earth I love the few Roeg films I've seen so I guess I need to watch this one.

Akahige This is the big Kurosawa I haven't seen. No real reason for it, just haven't gotten around to it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Peaceful Anarchy your mission is The Man Who Fell to Earth. It's a strange film with surreal imagery that stars David Bowie in his feature film debut. The film has achieved cult status. It has a running time of 138 minutes. I have not yet seen the movie myself so I'll refrain from further quoting the wikipedia entry...good luck man.

I watched On the Waterfront, one of my shameful entries. I wasn't blown away by the movie, but I really enjoyed it. Great acting by all involved (and credit to the director as well, who may or may not be a communist subversive). Thanks for the recommendation, but now I am filled with shame that I have not seen A Streetcar Named Desire, which will now be added to the list.

Going to add Criticker tiers on films that I've now watched as a way to pass judgment on the film recommenders.

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this under normal circumstances.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9
A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando, Malden, Kazan, and Ms. O'Hara. The title strikes me as a bit feminine, which is probably why I haven't had any desire to see this movie.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8
The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons [it's about an elephant man]...mistake?

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard of the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Arkane posted:

The Elephant Man - Avoided for obvious reasons [it's about an elephant man]...mistake?

Out of curiosity, what do you think the title means?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Something along the lines of....be forewarned: this movie will be about a guy with elephantisis.

I'm not trying to poke fun; I just don't think I'd be comfortable. I'm probably wrong.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Arkane posted:

Be forewarned: this movie will be about a guy with elephantisis.

Okay. I think that's a weird reason to state as "obvious", but to each their own. I just had this passing thought that you were thinking, "What? A dude who's part elephant? That sounds retarded."

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think you've just stumbled upon Tim Burton's vision for Johnny Depp's character in the remake.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Arkane posted:

I think you've just stumbled upon Tim Burton's vision for Johnny Depp's character in the remake.

*with Helena Bonham Carter as the Elephant Man's girlfriend

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Departed - This was funny. Jack is just an obnoxious dirtbag (in a good way) My favorite scene is when he's in the theater wearing some shabby trenchcoat and tacky fishing hat talking to Matt Damon.

Frank Costello: [laughing] See anything you like, Colin?
Colin Sullivan: I almost loving shot you!
Frank Costello: You're not indulging in self-abuse, are you? I hope you're not turning into one of them sob sisters who wants to get caught. You're not cracking up, are you?
Colin Sullivan: I don't crack up.
Frank Costello: Picking a place like this, where any cop can see you. Jesus.
Colin Sullivan: If it was such a loving bad idea, why'd you show up?
Frank Costello: [turning to face Sullivan] I own the place.
Colin Sullivan: [laughs] Why am I not loving surprised? Look, I gotta tell you...

Some aspects of the movie reminded me of LA Confidential (infighting amongst the organizations, and two cops against each other who share a common girl.) Also the ending themes felt similar.

I also watched
Lawrence of Arabia - It's long (3h46m) but it didn't feel too long as everything being pictured felt important. And the pacing remained fine throughout..something that films this long can have issues with.

I thought he'd be purely a heroic character but Lawrence was portrayed as being very ambivalent and downright insane at times especially near the end of the movie.

New List:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#23 Once Upon a Time in the West - I know absolutely nothing about this film except from this thread which states that "...once Claudia Cardinale [comes] onto the screen [you] forget about the runtime..."

#40 Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

#44 Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it.
The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#56 The Lives of Others - I haven't heard much about this.

#66 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

Arkane posted:

The Graduate - I've seen the ending, just never seen the whole movie.

I choose this. I would've chosen elephant man but I haven't seen that either because elephant people frighten me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Zogo, go watch The Lives Of Others. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Finished watching Run Lola Run not ten minutes ago, and good lord I think just watching that was the best workout I've had since I visited a friend on the second floor. Phenomenal editing, excellent pacing, fantastic cinematography, the whole film is just utterly electrifying. I think it's a little less shallow than a lot of people make it out to be, but even if it's no deep psychological study there's enough said about the characters that we actually do care about their situation. It'll be fun to revisit this at some point, hopefully soon. Good lord.

Updated list, replaced Run Lola Run with Bicycle Thieves.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Bicycle Thieves - I rented this once but I never got around to seeing it. I remember it's referenced a lot in The Player (or maybe they go see it or something). Apparently it's quite good.

3) Downfall - I loving own this, why haven't I seen it? A: I keep putting it off because, you know, three hour Hitler docudrama? mmmmeeehhhhh

4) Tokyo Story - So far I've only seen one Ozu film, Good Morning (a blind-buy; it's kind of cute, actually), and apparently this is some amazing magnificent film, and Ozu is some great director, so sock it to me.

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) The Searchers - Apparently this is like A+ western. I'm not a huge fan of westerns, and actually I don't think I've even ever seen a Ford film. But it's on Blu-Ray, and I like Blu-Ray and this is number 9 on the They Shoot Pictures Don't They list.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I've never seen a Fellini film. In fact, the only Italian film I've ever seen are Gomorrah and L'Avventura. I enjoyed the former and the latter almost turned me off of all of Italian cinema.

The only French new wave films I've seen are Breathless, Une Femme Est Une Femme and Jules et Jim as well. I know.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If you're making a Shame list you have to recommend a movie for me to watch from my list, and make your own list. If you're just casually posting, you should definitely at least see 8 1/2 and Pierrot Le Fou. If you would like to talk to an operator, please stay on the line...

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.
Watched 12 angry men. I was really, really awesome. Such an elegant and efficiant movie. Why knew watching 12 dudes argue for one anda half hour could be so entertaining?

My updated list:
1 Nikita Flew right under my radar. Could be really good though.

2 Deer Hunter I'm madly in love with vietnam movies already so why haven't I seen this? Garh, I'm so lazy.

3 Anything by Lars Von Trier except for Antichrist and The boss of it all Again, I'm lazy.

4 Eraserhead David Lynch flew over my head. Wanna fix that.

5 Jin-Roh - The Wolf BrigadeFirst anime movie on this list. I know almost nothing about this, so I've been hesitant to check it out. You never really know with anime, but I wanna see this.

6 Cinderella Man I Love boxing movies, but this one got away. Dunno why really.

7 Yatterman I wanne see more of Miike, and this one sounds well... completly bonkers.

8 Nightmare Before Christmas A movie that has haunted me since I was a little kid. I wanna get closure!

9 Heat My dad bought this one when we were in Thailand when I was very young, so I considered it a "grown-up" movie until I was like 16. Then the cassette was broken. :(

10 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels I like Guy Ritchie, and this is supposed to be his best movie from what I've heard. Never got around to it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Dunno if I or Vagabondo should recommend you a movie, but I say that that you should see Downfall, because unseen dvds are an affront to the lord.

And it's really good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Searchers is also worth a look, but you might find the racism of it a bit off-putting.

Also, once you get round to seeing one of those films, add Come and See if you haven't seen it already.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Vagabundo posted:

The Searchers is also worth a look, but you might find the racism of it a bit off-putting.

Well, keep in mind that it's a movie ABOUT racism. You're not supposed to be with John Wayne the whole time, or even with the rest of the Texicans (it's Laurie, the proper and beautiful young blonde woman who has the most shocking and vile racist statement in the film). The real hero and moral center of the movie, after all, is Marty the half-Indian sidekick. People forget that.

HOWEVER it really really really shouldn't be the first John Ford movie anybody sees. It's kind of a capstone on what he was about. Better to start with Stagecoach or Clementine or Wagon Master or She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hellbunny you should watch Nikita. I also considered Eraserhead, but if you haven't seen any Lynch I'm not sure I'd pick it as a starting point.

Watched The Man who Fell to Earth, liked it a lot. It's a very strange and beautiful film that's a bit hard to get a hold on to but still feels very rich in substance. It took a bit of a turn about 90 minutes in that threw me off for a bit but once I readjusted to what was going on I think it worked well. It reminded me a lot of Bad Timing and Walkabout in style and made me want to revisit those. The funny thing about every Roeg film I've seen is that while I like them as I'm watching them, as soon as they're over my opinion of them increases sharply the more I think about them. I've heard post 1980 Roeg is not as good, but drat I've got to check at least one of those out at some point.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Akahige This is the big Kurosawa I haven't seen. No real reason for it, just haven't gotten around to it.

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

penismightier posted:

Well, keep in mind that it's a movie ABOUT racism. You're not supposed to be with John Wayne the whole time, or even with the rest of the Texicans (it's Laurie, the proper and beautiful young blonde woman who has the most shocking and vile racist statement in the film). The real hero and moral center of the movie, after all, is Marty the half-Indian sidekick. People forget that.
I do admit I fell into that trap as well. I guess Ethan does gain some redemption at the end when he chooses not to kill his niece who was "defiled" by an Indian. All throughout it, I was really put off and almost overwhelmed by what was being stated.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, it's kind of an overwhelming movie. Physically it's one of the most beautiful in the history of the art, and the characters are all outwardly so goofy and charming but the more you examine them the more horrible and twisted they all seem.

I think Look is the best example. It gets you laughing at how ridiculous and fat she is until she dies, and you're left reeling at how terribly you thought of her, and because we're hearing her story secondhand (third, really) through Laurie and her family who don't care because they don't consider her human, we have nobody in the film with the same emotional response as us the audience.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Vagabundo posted:

I do admit I fell into that trap as well. I guess Ethan does gain some redemption at the end when he chooses not to kill his niece who was "defiled" by an Indian. All throughout it, I was really put off and almost overwhelmed by what was being stated.
I wouldn't call that redemption. More of complete physical exhaustion and mental collapse. The man's been chasing after his niece for years and just slaughtered a village, he's tired and teeming with bloodlust and now he has to bring himself to murder his niece. He breaks, and that's why she lives. The aspect of his character that I find most interesting is that he's a Confederate deserter. Most Westerns portray this as a kind of noble and heroic cause, but here it just establishes him as a racist, a man who knows how to survive, and a man who knows how to kill. After that, it's never mentioned again.

gently caress it, this isn't the thread.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

I feel ashamed I still haven't see Wagon Master yet, I should get on that.

And to whoever told me to watch Barry Lyndon, I'll be getting to it tomorrow or Saturday.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Throw on that Wagon Master commentary if you get a chance. Harry Carey Jr and Peter Bogdanovich bullshitting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Peaceful Anarchy, go watch Akahige.

Watched Downfall. I loved it, but warily. I'll have to revisit it at some point, today just wasn't my day to watch movies (tired, hungry, got up to make dinner at the hour-and-a-half mark), but nevertheless I thought it was powerful and shocking, but not in an obnoxious way. The cinematography was surprisingly active, for some reason I was expecting a lot of long steady shots of people talking but it was really very energetic. The acting was terrific (the guy really looked like Hitler, it was almost upsetting) as well, just all around. Actually, the whole film was kind of upsetting. Maybe that's why I had trouble with the first half, I just couldn't come to terms with watching these people, who I knew were responsible for millions of deaths, but eventually that weird alienation wall came down and I got really, really into the film. It's absolutely tragic and utterly horrific. I hope there are plans for an American Blu-Ray, though I would be willing to shill out for the British version.

The Searchers should arrive on Saturday, but whoever posts next, recommend something else anyways. Whatever it is won't get here until after I watch The Searchers, so it doesn't matter.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Bicycle Thieves - I rented this once but I never got around to seeing it. I remember it's referenced a lot in The Player (or maybe they go see it or something). Apparently it's quite good.

3) Moon - This came through our town pretty much momentarily and it's been hanging around on my Netflix queue for a while. It just never really gets up there for some reason or another.

4) Tokyo Story - So far I've only seen one Ozu film, Good Morning (a blind-buy; it's kind of cute, actually), and apparently this is some amazing magnificent film, and Ozu is some great director, so sock it to me.

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) The Searchers - Apparently this is like A+ western. I'm not a huge fan of westerns, and actually I don't think I've even ever seen a Ford film. But it's on Blu-Ray, and I like Blu-Ray and this is number 9 on the They Shoot Pictures Don't They list.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball, you will watch Bicycle Thieves and you will love it.

VorpalBunny posted:

caiman, go watch All About Eve.

Finally watched All About Eve. It was very good, but I didn't absolutely love it. I appreciated the script, and the performances were just stunning, especially Bette Davis - her character felt so real and genuine. My main gripe with the movie is how the dialog is almost too perfect. What I mean is, it seemed every word out of the mouth of ever single character was super clever and intelligent and perfectly timed. But it's a small complaint. Over all I really enjoyed it.

My new list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Spirited Away - I must subconsciously avoid anime, because I've seen very few even though I have no outward dislike for them.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Caiman I'm recommending Spirited Away. Partly because it is a great film ,in my opinion Miyazaki's best, and partly because it's the only one left on your list that I've seen :sweatdrop:

I'm finally adding my shameful list because I have a terrible habit of buying films which I hear both good things about and are critically acclaimed and then never actually watch them. So it's easier for me to go through what I own before slugging through the greats that i don't.

quote:

Apocalypse Now - I've only recently started to really get interested in war films and this name always seems to be high on war film lists.

The Big Lebowski - I've yet to see a Coen's Brothers film and this is currently the only one I own.

Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

Eastern Promises - I love Cronenberg, Mortensen and Watts. No excuse why I haven't seen this yet.

Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 2, 2010

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Waterhaul watch Eastern Promises it's one of the best crime dramas years. The story is good, the violence is visceral and most of the characters are flawed but sympathetic.

Movies that I've never seen for no reason:

The Black Gestapo
I bought on DVD for months now and still haven´t gotten around to watching it. The fact that the DVD has no subtitles at all is part of the reason I still haven't watched it. I always feel a bit strange when watching a movie that doesn't have any subtitles. It's much easier to pay attention to whats happening if I can read what people are saying while I watch.

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song
From what I've heard revolutionary film and the first Blaxploitation movie. I saw a biopic about the making of the film and it the history behind it seemed very interesting and made me want to see this even more.

Shaft
I have no excuse for not having seen Shaft. I'm just a horrible person.

Elephant Man
I'm a big Lynch fan and interested in Joseph Merrick but for some reason never seen this one.

The Seventh Seal
I've never heard anything bad about this movie and everyone says it's a masterpiece but I'm far to lazy to track down a copy.

Let The Right One In
I love vampire films and Scandinavian cinema is always dark and depressing in a good way but up until recently my DVD player was broken and my computer screen was so dark that watching that anything darker then a bright summer day during a nuclear blast looked pitch black making it impossible to watch anything that takes place at night.

Stalker
There are a couple of reasons I haven't seen this one but mostly it's because I have no idea where to find a copy.

Nosferatu
Saw the Werner Herzog film and loved it but the original is a silent movie and I've never been that much into silent movies.

Pan's Labyrinth
Same old reason: Heard good things never bothered to watch it due to laziness.

Schindler's List
No excuse. I suck.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 2, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Let The Right One In

Really one of the best vampire movies ever, and even without that it's still a terrific film.

Watched La Grande Illusion last night. I promise I won't refer to Renoir as 'that guy' anymore. I can sometimes have trouble connecting with characters in foreign movies, but they were so well-rounded in this case it's almost impossible to not be engaged. Fantastic movie, one I will definitely be adding to my collection.

Updated list:

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

City Lights I've seen bits and pieces of Chaplin, but I don't think I've seen any of his movies start to finish.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only catch with Let The Right One In is that Magnet's first release of the DVDs and Blu-Rays had simplified subtitles, which, for example, changes this exchange:

theatrical version posted:

OSKAR: Do you live here?
ELI: Yeah...I live right here, in the jungle gym.
OSKAR: Seriously. where do you live?
ELI: Next door to you.

...into this:

DVD/BR posted:

ELI: I live here. Next to you.

If the DVD/Blu-Ray has "English Subtitles/English (theatrical) Subtitles/Spanish Subtitles" in the subtitles bar on the back, then you're good.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch City Lights. Chaplin owns.

I watched Spartacus and while it was good, it didn't feel quite like a Kubrick movie (this of course isn't unexpected). It actually kind of felt more like David Lean. I was quite impressed by the cast. I didn't expect to see Laughton or Ustinov or Olivier (and didn't even recognize Olivier at first). Also, I was surprised at how early the "I'm Spartacus" scene was. I didn't expect another half hour to be left

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man - I really like Lynch but I've never seen this one. I guess the fact it never seemed quite Lynchian (is that a word?) enough is a factor.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
dotCommunism, you must watch The Elephant Man. Both of the Lynch movies that he didn't have a hand in writing are decidedly less Lynchian, of course, but that doesn't make this one any less amazing (note this may not apply to The Straight Story which I didn't care for).

And here's my quite shameful list:

Touch of Evil: Welles is one of those important filmmakers that I've only seen one or no films by (guess which one in this case), which is probably going to be a recurring theme here.

Night of the Hunter: This one slipped under my radar I guess, I don't really know much of anything about it aside from how good it is and indirectly via its influence.

M: Just saw the restored Metropolis (only Lang I've seen of course), which was great but more heavyhanded than what I remembered from when I watched it the first time. Hoping this is a bit better.

Modern Times: Haven't seen any Chaplin movies, might as well start here.

North by Northwest: Somehow the only Hitchcock I've seen is Dial M for Murder (in 3d no less!); I have a feeling I'll like this.

The Apartment: Haven't seen any Wilder movies either.

Amarcord: Again, have yet to see any Fellini.

Ikiru: I love the few Kurosawa films I've seen, and this actually isn't one of the ones my local theatre is showing for his centennial, so that works out well (in that I won't have much of an excuse to put it off until then).

Pierrot le fou: Guess how much Godard I've seen! (Hint: it is a small, round number.)

On the Waterfront: Another well-acclaimed older film I don't know much about.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Amarcord is not a good entry point for Fellini.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Amarcord is not a good entry point for Fellini.

What would you recommend, then?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Vagabundo posted:

What would you recommend, then?

8 1/2. There's a reason it ends up near the top of so many lists. I generally try to avoid making grandiose, sweeping statements, but I would go so far as to say if you don't like 8 1/2, you don't really like movies.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Adhesion you should watch North By Northwest. It's Hitchcock and Cary Grant on top form so I think your feelings about it will come true.

I watched Eastern Promises which I thought was pretty drat great. The plot offers very few surprises but Mortensen does such a fantastic job in the role as Nikolai that it doesn't really matter, Watts was also pretty great but I felt as if she could have been given a bit more to do. Cronenberg's history of body horror shines through with some graphic scenes and an extremely brutal fight scene though overall he's a lot more refrained than I'm used to. I'm interested where the announced sequel ends up taking things but I hope Nikolai's backstory doesn't end up being explained, I like how they just hinted at things rather than flat out explaining everything.

quote:

01: Apocalypse Now - I've only recently started to really get interested in war films and this name always seems to be high on war film lists.

02: The Big Lebowski - I've yet to see a Coen's Brothers film and this is currently the only one I own.

03: Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

04: Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

05: Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

06: Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

07: Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

08: Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

09: Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

10: Raging Bull - After watching Shutter Island earlier in the year I realised I hadn't seen half as many Scorsese films as I thought I had.

Watched Films - Eastern Promises

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Waterhaul, I'm going to recommend The Big Lebowski. I'm not sure how to put it after that, but watch it yourself and decide.

By all means Casablanca is a classic. Just a really well written and acted movie. Somewhat predictable, but it's a 40s movie and many of its concepts have been replicated since which probably makes it predictable. Plus from what I know of it (which wasn't much to being with) it was easy to put 2 and 2 together. Still a timeless movie that set an early standard for romantic films.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Any Hitchcock sans Psycho and the Birds - I would like to see Rear Window and North by Northwest at some point though.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6. Godfather Series - Everything I hear about part 3 is terrible, but the first 2 are supposed to be on the Mount Rushmore of movies, I don't have much of an excuse here.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Another Jack classic that I haven't seen.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing - Unfamiliar with Spike Lee.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

list

Mate, I'd suggest you watch a few more of the surreal Lynch films before tackling Inland Empire.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack watch One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Jack's great in it.

Watched Red Beard it's not quite top tier Kurosawa but still a great movie. Mifune is great and so is the other lead, there's a lot of depth and I love what Kurosawa did with the lighting. Still, where some films feel like the whole is more than the sum of its parts, this one felt the opposite. Every part was excellent but they didn't quite fit together to make perfection, just something really good.

Updated list:

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Finally I get to pick for PA. You've got a lot of interesting choices, but I'm gonna have to give you Satantango.

Sleuth - A fun cat-and-mouse style thriller, with Laurence Olivier as a snobbish, racist author of detective novels and Michael Caine as a salon owner having an affair with his wife. The film reminded me an awful lot of Deathtrap, not just because of Caine, but also the dry humor, the confined setting, and the way the tables are always being turned, the sense of oneupsmanship. I don't think it's all that funny, but it is put together cleverly, as long as you can overlook the fact that Olivier is shockingly bad at recognizing Caine in a cheap disguise. Beyond the intricacies of the plotting, it's also an interesting commentary on class and bourgeois puffery. Not the kind of movie I would keep in my collection, but I'd probably watch it again if I caught it while channel surfing. Rating: 8

updated list:

1. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch - Never seen any Guy Ritchie. I don't think I'd like him, but I ought to see what the fuss is about.

2. The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but I've liked all his film noir.

3. Dolemite - I saw Petey Wheatstraw and hated it, but I've since learned that it's considered to be one of the worst Rudy Ray Moore movies. I love House Party, it'd be nice to have a reference point for the Dolemite jokes.

4. Sleuth - Certain goons keep raving about it.

5. The Lion King - Not a Disney fan at all, but it seems like most people hold this one in high regard.

6. The Iron Giant - Wrote it off initially, have since learned it's actually good.

7. Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

8. Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

9. A Tanú - My highest PSI at Criticker.