Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Astfgl posted:

Also, do these quests ASAP:
- Village of Aleswell (N of the Imperial City). Everyone is invisible. Speak to the innkeeper to get the quest, which doesn't require more than a short walk. Your reward will be a permanent room in the inn with a container in which to store things. Much easier than saving up thousands of gold for a house, and then paying even more for a storage upgrade. You can literally get this within minutes of leaving the intro dungeon.
- Village of Weye (just W of the Imperial City). Aelwin will ask you to get some slaughterfish scales for him. Your compass will point you to each fish in succession, and they're a little difficult to kill but not impossible. The hardest part is learning to fight while swimming, and mages with damage-on-touch, waterbreathing or detect-life spells will have an easier go of it. The reward is a water-breathing ring, which is ridiculously handy at this stage.
- (LEVEL 2 AND ABOVE) Shrine of Azura (NNW of Cheydinhal). Bring an offering of glow dust. You’ll need to purchase the dust from an alchemist at low levels (since Will-o-Wisps don’t appear til later), but it should be fairly cheap and easy to procure. Azura’s quest will net you a soul gem that doesn’t disappear once you use the soul inside, and that can hold the highest level of souls.
- (LEVEL 10 AND ABOVE) Shrine of Nocturnal (due N of Leyawiin on the E side of the river). No offering required. Completing the quest will net you an unbreakable lockpick which pretty much breaks the game as far as money/equipment is concerned.

It's been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long since I've played Oblivion. Anyone mind reminding me which quests/dungeons are best saved for a higher level character to get good variants on the best stuff? I know the Eschuteon of Chorral is best gotten late off the top of my head, but can remember nothing else for the life of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeymagic
Aug 10, 2004
He is Trampling the Unrighteous with Hooves of Hot Iron
I'm about to play through the first Bioshock and I've come to the stage where I can harvest the little girl for ADAM or save her. Is there a significant difference in the storyline or game if I choose either decision? Or does it pretty much end up in the same way?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

monkeymagic posted:

I'm about to play through the first Bioshock and I've come to the stage where I can harvest the little girl for ADAM or save her. Is there a significant difference in the storyline or game if I choose either decision? Or does it pretty much end up in the same way?

Only affects the ending.Doesn't make much difference otherwise.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The ending depends on whether you harvested or not. I believe you can get away with harvesting a single Little Sister, otherwise you are locked out of that ending. Gameplay it doesn't really matter if you don't harvest, because you'll get special rewards every now and then. You won't be gimped for being a white knight.

Edit: anything for the original Mercenaries (Xbox)? I picked it up again and started from scratch. Previously I stopped right after arresting/killing the second ace. I'm mostly curious on what weapons to use, aside from my trusty RPG launcher.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 4, 2010

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

monkeymagic posted:

Pick a side and stick with it. There are 2 endings*, one for saving them all, one for harvesting them. As for which is stronger in the game (spoilered as I'm not sure if thats what you are asking for or not) You get more adam right away for harvesting them, but if you save them you will occasionally be given an aid package with some ADAM and unique tonics and so on. I believe if you are going to deal with all of them in the game rather than just the ones you have to you are better off saving rather than harvesting Personally I saved them because I have a hard time being a dick in videogames. The story of the game until the ending cinematic is the same either way.

*Technically there are 3, but I believe the middle one is just the bad one with a slightly different voiceover. This annoyed some people, but the way I see it, either you are playing as someone who will kill little girls to save himself or you arent. Theres not really a lot of wiggle room on that one.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

eyebrow posted:

Any suggestions for Dragon Age? I haven't started it yet. I also have the expansion and the DLC, if that matters.

Go mage on your first play through, you'll love it.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long since I've played Oblivion. Anyone mind reminding me which quests/dungeons are best saved for a higher level character to get good variants on the best stuff? I know the Eschuteon of Chorral is best gotten late off the top of my head, but can remember nothing else for the life of me.

Quests to do early (because you only get gold as a reward):

- Whitmond Farm (N of Anvil) - When the Vow Breaks
- Roxey Inn (NE of Imperial City) - The Gravefinder's Repose
- Leyawiin West Gate - Raid Greyland
- Crestbridge Camp (SE of Imperial City) - Goblin Trouble
- Anvil (Gogan's house) - The Siren's Deception
- Leyawiin (S'drassa, Mages Guild) - Tears of the Savior
- Chorrol/Cheydinhal (find one of the Jemanes) - Separated at Birth, Legacy Lost (but not Sins of the Father)
- Most of the Fighter's Guild and Thieves Guild quests will provide you with leveled amounts of gold at first.

After that, it's probably easier to just refer you to this chart:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveled_Item_Quests

which will show you every quest in Oblivion with a leveled item as a reward and at which level the item is most powerful. It's pretty dang handy and I recommend keeping a copy nearby when you're playing.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Bemis posted:

Go mage on your first play through, you'll love it.

On the other hand, my first playthrough as a mage was so much fun that now I'm bored by playing a warrior or rogue.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: anything for the original Mercenaries (Xbox)? I picked it up again and started from scratch. Previously I stopped right after arresting/killing the second ace. I'm mostly curious on what weapons to use, aside from my trusty RPG launcher.

I know this glitch is on PS2, I'm not sure about xbox, but if you throw a marker for a supply or vehicle drop, then quickly open the menu and select another supply drop from the shop you get the one you just threw for free.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Best way to break the gently caress out of Oblivion:

- Reach level 20
- Enter an oblivion gate
- Get to the sigil stone at the end
- Save
- Pick up the stone, check to see what it does
- If it's the 20% chameleon one, good, if not, load your save
- Repeat four more times (or dupe the stone)
- Enchant the stones onto some light armour, clothes or rings/amulets
- 100% chameleon, you are now the Predator

Beyond this, if you want to level magic schools easily, gain access to a spellmaking altar. Create simple, weak, 1 second spells with basic effects and cast them repeatedly. They have tiny MP costs, and raise your skills as fast as massive fuckoff explosions and poo poo. To actually make a spell using a specific effect, you need to already have a spell with that effect learned. This is pretty simple to acquire though, as every mage guild sells basic spells with a range of different effects for cheap.

gently caress it, let's get the other skills out of the way too:
- For acrobatics, find a dresser or something near a ceiling, jump on it, and repeatedly jump. With a small enough space, you can jump hundreds of times in a minute.
- For weapon skills, find or warp to Peryite's shrine, and attack the frozen people there. They can never die while frozen, so feel free to go nuts. Occassionally attack a normal NPC and pay the fine if you do this, as the game can crash if you have too many unreported crimes.
- For sneak, find a bar or almost empty building, and hide near a stationary NPC, go into sneak mode and walk against a wall or object. You have to sneak near someone for this to work, and they can't notice you (the sneak eye is transparant).
- For block and armor skills, set the difficulty to the lowest setting, and find a weak rat or crab. Let them wail on you as long as you like.
- For armorer, do the above, but have a ton of repair hammers and constantly repair your armour as you're assaulted by a mud crab.
- Mercantile is annoying. Buy a stack of arrows or something, and sell them back, one by one. This can take ages.
- Athletics is hard to raise by force, but try equipping the water-breathing ring mentioned above, and jump in a lake, swimming as long as you like. This raises the skill faster than walking or running. Optionally, do the above, find a nook or dead end underwater, and weigh down your analog stick or arrow key for a few months.
- For alchemy, create simple potions with basic ingredients, which you can buy in any store.
- For security, manually fix the first few tumblers of a lock, and exit. You can also repeatedly use the auto attempt function, wasting hundreds of lockpicks as you do. If you have the unbreakable lockpick, feel free to go nuts with auto attempt though.
- Speechcraft is loving annoying to raise. Play the stupid speech minigame with anyone and everyone, trying to stretch it as long as possible by loving up on purpose. To lower disposition with NPC's, talk to them with a weapon drawn, try to haggle too high with merchants, or talk to them while wearing the grey cowl of nocturne.

As for major/minor skills. Always try to have at least one minor skill per attribute. If you're almost at a level up, and want to raise your agility when you do, having Marksman, Security and Sneak as major skills can make this impossible. Having one as a minor skill means you can raise the minor skill a little, and gain the full 5 attribute points at level up.

Remember, you can only choose 3 attributes to increase per level, up to a maximum of 5 points each. You get the full 5 points if you raised the skills related to that attribute by at least 10 points since your last level. While annoying and difficult, if you want to fully maximize level gains, try to gain 30 skill points total per level, tied to 3 attributes. Also, make endurance one of the 3 attributes you increase first, as the HP gains it grants aren't retroactive.

Jesus, I play Oblivion like a goddamn math equation.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Orfeo posted:

Can anyone give starting tips for Suikoden 3? I've tried playing a little of it, but I really don't seem to get it yet.

It's been years since I finished it but it's your typical JRPG in terms of combat. The basic rule being if your're having trouble go grind and gain some levels. You have 3 different choices of character story lines to play-through. From what I remember the kid Hugo was the easiest and strongest character. Geddone I think the name was is the better story through. Also once you finish all three characters there is a very important bonus character that's unlocked so it's completely worth it to finish all 3 characters (you get play the storyline through the "badguy's" perspective). The female knight Chris is the slowest and weakest so save her for the last playthrough.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mecha Labrador posted:

Best way to break the gently caress out of Oblivion:

- Reach level 20
- Enter an oblivion gate
- Get to the sigil stone at the end
- Save
- Pick up the stone, check to see what it does
- If it's the 20% chameleon one, good, if not, load your save
- Repeat four more times (or dupe the stone)
- Enchant the stones onto some light armour, clothes or rings/amulets
- 100% chameleon, you are now the Predator

You don't actually need sigil stones to make Chameleon clothes.

Spells: buy a low level spell and spam it like crazy. The only snag is that Destruction spells don't count unless you do damage to something, so use it on the frozen guys at Peyrite. Alternately, craft a spell that does 50 damage to a target and 1 to you, and cast it at a wall.
Weapons: craft a weapon that heals the target, then find a horse and pound it for a hour straight. (bring Soul Gems).
Armorer: learn a damage armor spell. Cast it on a piece of armor on the ground, pick it up, repair it, drop it, repeat.
Sneak: find someone sleeping alone. Sneak around for a few hours. Wear light shoes.
Lockpick: do Nocturnal's quest, then lockpick becomes irrelevant since you can just mash auto-attempt.
Athletics: stand in a corner, tape down ^, go have a beer.
Speechcraft: talk with every idiot in the street, and don't bother going past 25%.

EDIT: also, to REALLY break Oblivion, create a spell that does damage plus one second Paralyze. Since the target has to go through the 'get up' animation in addition to the paralyze, you can easily lock down and kill someone. You can even craft an AoE version, although the spell cost will be very high.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 4, 2010

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Gynovore posted:

Speechcraft: talk with every idiot in the street, and don't bother going past 25%.

I don't ever train speechcraft. Training illusion is all-around more effective. Charm spells are incredibly cheap at higher levels.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Fire Emblem

-Don't use Marcus to actually kill people in the first few chapters. He's more useful as a meat shield and has terrible stat growths.

- Recruit everyone you can.

- Get as many support conversations as possible. They add to the significant backstory of the game and give stat boosts.

- When playing Hector's story, start from a new Lyn's story and get Ninian/Nils to level 7.

- Visit the villages/towns on the map. If they're destroyed before you can get there, it's probably worth restarting.

- Sell or use everything at the end of Lyn's story

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Astfgl posted:

I don't ever train speechcraft. Training illusion is all-around more effective. Charm spells are incredibly cheap at higher levels.

A really, really grumpy person might require both. Nevertheless, Speechcraft is useless past 'one free rotation of the wheel' at 25%.

Mecha Labrador
Apr 13, 2006

Ahm a Houn' Dawg, AWOOO!
Yeah, Speechcraft is one of the most useless and irritating skills in the game. It's much, much easier to make Illusion a minor skill and increase your personality stat that way.

Another thing to note: no skill ties with luck, meaning that you can only raise it by 1 point per level. If you really, really want a value of 100, then start with the Thief sign, and choose luck as one of your chosen attributes, giving you 65 to begin with. By only raising 20 skill levels (10 major, 10 minor, split between two attributes) per character level, and choosing luck as your third attribute, you can max it out by level 36.

Luck boosts all your skills behind the scenes. With 100, all your skills function as if they were 20 levels higher. It also affects other things, such as the stats of fighters in the arena. It doesn't have any affect on loot or items from dungeons.

I never bother increasing it. By the time it really has any effect, most of your skills should be nearly maxed out already.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

DropsySufferer posted:

It's been years since I finished it but it's your typical JRPG in terms of combat. The basic rule being if your're having trouble go grind and gain some levels. You have 3 different choices of character story lines to play-through. From what I remember the kid Hugo was the easiest and strongest character. Geddone I think the name was is the better story through. Also once you finish all three characters there is a very important bonus character that's unlocked so it's completely worth it to finish all 3 characters (you get play the storyline through the "badguy's" perspective). The female knight Chris is the slowest and weakest so save her for the last playthrough.

To clarify this slightly, you're going to have to play through each character's storyline to finish the game.

It's a Suikoden title, so there are still 108 people to recruit; however, with the three-way split, you may need to be in a certain branch of the story to recruit a given character. Just keep track of where people are and come back for them.

Also, Hugo is the canonical main character, but you are by no means obligated to treat him as such.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Robawesome posted:

Alright, I've played Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, etc, all of the great SNES RPG's, except for... Earthbound. I played it but never got into it and the furthest I recall getting was the arcade boss? I think i'll attempt a playthrough finally. Any tips before I embark?

Remember Scalding Coffee's avatar and title text

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I've been wanting to get into Team Fortress 2 for a while, so I finally picked up the Orange Box on the 360. What should I know so I don't look like a total noob? I'm pretty experienced at Modern Warfare 1, 2 and SOCOM 1+2. But thats it for shooters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I've been wanting to get into Team Fortress 2 for a while, so I finally picked up the Orange Box on the 360. What should I know so I don't look like a total noob? I'm pretty experienced at Modern Warfare 1, 2 and SOCOM 1+2. But thats it for shooters.

You won't really be playing with many people, as the community for TF2 is non-compatible with the PC, lacks updates, and doesn't have a lot of people.

That said, TF2 highly rewards knowing your class strengths and weaknesses, so get comfy and dick around with everybody.

Medics heal, and in healing build up a super move which makes a select target invincible. Do not target other medics, spies, engineers, or snipers with this.

If you are a pyro, liberally spurt fire at people on your team. People on your team don't catch fire but spies do. Get paranoid. Also, your airburst makes projectiles fired by the soldier/demoman switch to your team.

Engineers can only build so much poo poo, so plan accordingly and learn the vantage points for your stuff.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 5, 2010

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Barudak posted:

You won't really be playing with many people, as the community for TF2 is non-compatible with the PC, lacks updates, and doesn't have a lot of people.

Medics heal, and in healing build up a super move which makes a select target invincible. Do not target other medics, spies, engineers, or snipers with this.

So I should get it on PC? By "picking it up", I mean "borrowing my brothers copy".

Watching gameplay footage, medic is the one I'm most interested in. Why shouldn't I heal spies, engineers or snipers? Is it because they're not supposed to be upfront fighters? Or is there some other reason not to?

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I've just started Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and want to know a few things. Is there any plot death/forced character removal that I should be wary of? I dont want to waste XP on anyone who is doomed from the beginning. Is it necessarry to get every visit, talk, steal, etc, or will I be able to get through everything just playing to win missions? Any other advice would be appreciated too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So I should get it on PC? By "picking it up", I mean "borrowing my brothers copy".

Watching gameplay footage, medic is the one I'm most interested in. Why shouldn't I heal spies, engineers or snipers? Is it because they're not supposed to be upfront fighters? Or is there some other reason not to?

Yes. Get it on PC if you want to play it is what I'm getting at, as what few PC things that did come to the 360 cost money unlike the PC. It goes on sale constantly for 10 or less dollars if you want to secure your own copy.

As for the healing thing, I meant more the ubercharge, the invulnerability thing. There is no need to use it on those classes because they shouldn't be anywhere that needs it. Heal everybody you can, but typically you'll follow a heavy, pyro, or demoman around as they charge the lines.

Don't heal spies on your team because that will reveal them to the other team. Thats a real no-no if you like avoiding belligerent yelling.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Some TF2 tips.
The direct hit is awesome if you can juggle. Just because it has a tiny blast radius doesnt mean you should stop aiming at people's feet.
The huntsman is awesome fun to use, and very effective if you know the map, since you can now leap around corners, and charge it in the air. People will get annoyed if you play well with it.
If you use the regular flamethrower, you basically have to use the axtinguisher, since its damage got nerfed.
Flares now do FULL crits at long range if an enemy is on fire. It is a fantastic weapon to use on fleeing enemies.
If you are just starting off, for the love of god, don't play engineer. It seems like a good idea, but if you don't know the good sentry spots, you will get owned. Plus it doesnt help your playinng improve to hit the sentry with a wrench.
If you get killed, think about why. How did that spy get behind you? Did you not see the stickies? Was there a crit rocket coming at that corner from the other side of the map?
Spy is very hard to play well, until you know the maps, and know how other players will behave.
As a spy, you can see the enemy player's health, so if you can finish them off with your reveolver, do it.
Everyone spy checks, all the time. Get over it. Even if there was 'no way he could have known i was there', you got too close, or just got unlucky.
For the above reason, backstab people who are busy not just unaware.
It is always worth dying to kill the other team's medic, unless you are a medic.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Thinking of the Elder Scrolls, here's a lot more on Daggerfall than what's in the wiki:

General -

- SAVE YOUR GAME. Daggerfall is one of the most bug-ridden major releases of all time. Bad stuff can and will mess up your game. You only have six save slots, so I recommend two all-purpose saves, three dungeon crawling saves, and one long-term backup.

- Save before asking for quests, before buying stuff from shops, before doing anything that could get the guards on you, before and after combat. Save save save.

- Gold has weight, and a lot of it. Store your money at banks regularly. Withdraw letters of credit if you need to carry around a lot of money without taking up inventory space.

Levels -

- You level up by improving your primary, major, and minor skills. The levels of your three primary, two highest major, and highest minor skills count towards your level progression. You need to increase these a total of 15 ranks to gain one level.

- You have three major and six minor skills. Only the two highest major skills and highest minor skill count towards your level progression. So if you have major skills at 20, 22, and 24 when you gain a level, you won't make any progress towards the next level by improving your rank 20 skill until it reaches at least 23.

- When you level up, you gain 4-6 points to put into your stats, and between 50% and 100% of your character's hp/level. Unlike later Elder Scrolls games where level up bonuses are tied to skill development, your leveling bonuses in Daggerfall are random. Consider reloading if you don't get the maximum 6 stat points to distribute.

Character Creation -

- Always choose to design your own class. The character creator is powerful and versatile. You will end up with a much better character than if you went with a pre-made class.

- If you want to make the game very easy, play a High Elf with a critical weakness to paralysis. High elves are immune to paralysis as a racial ability, and this immunity overrides the critical weakness. This frees up a lot of space for advantages without making skills impossible to improve.

- If you plan on casting spells AT ALL, and there is no reason whatsoever not to, give yourself the Improved Magicka 3x ability. This gives you spell points equal to 3x your INT score, a big improvement over the default 0.5x INT.

- Take at least one of the magic schools as one of your primary, major, or minor skills. This gives you starting spells and will satisfy the skill requirements for joining the Mage's Guild.

- Don't go crazy on weapon skills. Take one or maybe two. You will likely focus on only one. Long Blade is the all-purpose choice and the most balanced.

- "Language" skills like daedric and whatnot are useless. Ignore them.

Character Types -

- Elder Scrolls games have always rewarded players for doing a bit of everything. Daggerfall is the king of this. You have no reason whatsoever to be only a warrior or a mage or a thief. There is literally zero drawback to putting on a full suit of heavy armor and then running around throwing fireballs.

- For this reason the most powerful character type is a warrior who makes liberal use of magic. The game is very unfriendly toward thief-type characters and trying to specialize as one will only hurt you; however, regular questing will improve thief skills like sneak and lockpicking.

Dungeons -

- The meat of the game involves crawling through huge, massive, overwhelming, confusing-as-hell random dungeons. There are a couple things you absolutely must have before going dungeon diving:

- Do not enter a dungeon without the Recall spell. Cast it as soon as you step inside to set an anchor at the exit. Cast it again to teleport back to the exit.

- Mobility is important inside dungeons, so you will want levitate, water walking, water breathing, and open spells at a minimum.

- Use some systematic method of exploration and check your map often or you will get hopelessly lost. Like unable to find either the quest object or the exit kind of lost. That's why you should keep multiple save slots while in a dungeon.

- Don't think that just because you're deep in a dungeon you're close to your goal. Quest objects will appear at one of a set number of quest locations inside a dungeon—and that quest location can be right in front of your face as soon as you step inside. One of the things that makes Daggerfall dungeons so difficult is that you have no idea if you're close to your target until you find it.

- Some dungeons are basically impossible due to their random nature and you will need to cheat your way through them. Don't even think of cheatmode as cheating. Think of it as saving you from going crazy due to cruel game design. To activate cheatmode, add "cheatmode 1" (no quotes) to the game's z.cfg file. Then you can use the [ and ] keys to teleport around the dungeon's quest locations. At one of these will be the thing you're in the dungeon to find or kill.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Get it on PC.

A few more tips:
General: Do NOT take ammo boxes lying around the map during setup unless you are an Engineer. Also, instead of crowding around and trying to jostle other players off the lvl1 tele entrance, switch to Engineer and upgrade it.
Medics get priority on healing items. I know it's a no brainer, but you'd be amazed at the amount of medics that die because the sniper in front of them ganked the health chest when they were on fire.

Medic: Never stop healing. Ever. Prioritize healing combat classes and classes that are about to dive headlong into a rocket spam, but never take your finger off the left mouse button.
If you have a mic, co-ordinate Ubercharges with your team. Try to uber primarily Demomen, Soldiers and Heavys. I find Kritzkrieg is easier to make use of, but a well co-ordinated regular Ubercharge blows it out of the water.
Try not to die.

Pyro: The Airblast extinguishes teammates on fire. Don't forget it.
You're the teams No. 1 defense against Spies. Flame your teammates liberally.

Engineer: Right click rotates blueprints.
Try to learn where Ammo boxes are on maps, try to keep proximity to them in mind when thinking about where to place Sentries.
You can shoot Stickybombs with your guns to destroy them.

Soldier: It's far easier to charge the Buff Banner with the regular Rocket Launcher than with the Direct Hit.
Medics can't heal you if you're holding the Pickaxe. Either switch weapons of stop spamming for heals.

Heavy: Right Clicking when holding the Sandvich tosses it on the ground and makes it act like a health pickup.

Spy: It's not an easy class to pick up and play. Try to learn ammo locations, and don't linger, even when you're in Disguise. It's only a matter of time until someone bumps into you and knows what's up.
That being said, every spy has bad days, don't think you're doing something wrong if you top the scoreboard one game then fail horribly the next.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

eyebrow posted:

Any suggestions for Dragon Age? I haven't started it yet. I also have the expansion and the DLC, if that matters.

Mages are quite powerful and if you end up running with more than two, you'll never be challenged in the game...hell even two makes things almost too easy.

What ever happens, do Morrigans side quest.

Spells can combo. You should look them up unless you're an experimenter.

Paralyze and Crushing Prison are very helpful to the point of being broken, as is Mana Clash.

You will hear people bitching about the Fade, be prepared. (it's actually pretty cool)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

upperthorax posted:

You will hear people bitching about the Fade, be prepared. (it's actually pretty cool)

To be clear, the reason people bitch about the Fade is two parts. One it tacks on an extra hour or so to an already long dungeon you can't leave from (mages tower) but it makes you do it solo.

Make sure before you go in that you have tons of health poultices, of which you can make an infinite supply by going to the brecilian forest and buying 99 elf roots at a time from the elf trader there.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I'm sure this is a long shot, but King of Dragon Pass, anyone?

I'm mostly just going to give random but helpful tips, because honestly figuring out how to build a successful clan yourself is the most fun. You won't really lose unless you fail the main quest, starve, get killed by an elder race, or get raped to death by enemy clans (least hilarious death). So in no particular order:

You can't "beat" the elder races. I wouldn't try unless you like taking a wide variety of beast penis up your rear end.

Pick one or two enemy clans to beat up on and try to buddy up with the rest unless you want a lot of combat.

Blesses are very important, priority was always the grain boosters and humakts combat stuff for me. Watchtower is a great early purchase.

If you are willing to savescum heroquests the game will be too easy (maybe you like that though). If you are having trouble and can't think of anything else, savescum heroquests.

Chalana arroy (sp?) has a "make peace with enemy clans" or something like that reward, which is very, very, very good. Her quest is also one of the easiest to succeed at.

Explore your tula!

You can always recruit more thanes when you have a lot of injured or sick thanes. I don't know if that is a bug or not, but it's true.

I think justice is a good choice when someone asks you. You'll know when it comes up. Reward isn't incredible though.

Beating the horsespawn when they attack can net you a lot of horses.

The guaranteed hero you get named Kylara or something like (the angry redhead) makes a great leader for the main quest. If she dies on a heroquest (not trapped though) and you aren't savescumming, you can frequently resurrect her with the chalana arroy blessing. Don't skimp though, and chalana doesn't like dead cows or thralls.

A good rule of thumb if you don't know how to deal with a problem is conducting a divination if that is available, or giving gifts if that is available, or just what feels fair. Or raid whoever wronged you if you think you can win.

Other than that make sure you have enough cows and don't get too many farmers killed and with some thanes and blessings you will be fine to figure out the rest of the game yourself.

Oh and ransoming captives is never refused, so that's a good source of goods if you need it.

Alright I wrote more than I thought, but in a game this deep there are still roughly a million things for you to figure out yourself.

Big Sean fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 5, 2010

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
TF2

My biggest suggestion is resist the urge to pick spy or sniper when your team already has a bunch of them. Nothing was more annoying when I played that game then checking the class list when my team was losing and seeing that 2/3 of our guys were spy or sniper.

God I hate crappy spies and snipers...

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Anything for Sin and Punishment? How difficult is it?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
What do I need to know about Alpha Protocol before I dive in?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sunday Punch posted:

You need at least one weapon skill, there's some forced fights in the game.

Upgrade your stealth skill to level 5 (I think) for permanent Awareness, meaning you constantly know the enemies' positions. Do this regardless of what your planned build is.

High level stealth is ridiculously overpowered. As are the weapon skills, pistols especially.

DON'T READ A WALKTHROUGH. Alpha Protocol is a game where your actions actually have consequences and seeing how your choices shape the story is the absolute highlight of the game.

After the prologue I recommend you do the missions in order of Taiwan, Italy, Russia as Russia has the most fighting and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to blast dudes before you've got your preposterous abilities.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Foul Fowl posted:

After the prologue I recommend you do the missions in order of Taiwan, Italy, Russia as Russia has the most fighting and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to blast dudes before you've got your preposterous abilities.

Try to play through all the initial 'talky' missions first, in every hub, however as the contacts and black market items you unlock will become hugely expansive. Unlocking them per hub, so to speak, results in only a handful of new items.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Sunday Punch posted:

The previous posts are really good. Here are two more hints:

+ Get the main tech skill up to two so you can bypass hacking with EMP grenades.

+ It's hard to hit enemies at the beginning of the game with lovely skills. Aim at the chest, not the head. Save headshots for advanced pistols and assault rifles with scopes.

This is more of a mindset thing than an actual tip, but don't go in expecting a good shooter. Alpha Protocol can't stand with any of the Halo or Call of Duty or whatever games. The gunplay is frequently buggy and mediocre.

If you go in prepared to have fun by upgrading your skills, changing the plot, upgrading your weapons and building relationships with characters, you'll have a lot more fun. A lot of the bitching about the game comes from people that wanted an exceptional shooting game.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Anything for Darksiders?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Sunday Punch posted:

You can freely travel back and forth though the hub cities. This can make one of the boss fights easier for you as you can use an intel buy from a character in one hub to help out in another. Specifically Heck in Taiwan can help with the Brako fight in Moscow

In combat always try for critical hits. You charge up criticals by aiming at your target for a few moments.

If you are struggling with the hacking, lockpicking or bypass put a point into sabotage and use EMP's to skip the minigame.

Also don't worry too much about making the right/wrong decisions in dialogue. Just do what you feel is best.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Anything for Sin and Punishment? How difficult is it?

- Melee can block most projectiles, reflect loads of other projectiles (mainly missiles) and can counter a lot of Boss melee attacks. If an enemy/rock/missile/boss gets within arms reach of your character, melee the gently caress out of it.

- You become temporarily invincible when you dodge. For example, if a huge unavoidable laser appears on screen, you can dodge right through it. However, your character's vunrable for half a second after you dodge, so don't spam it otherwise you'll get hit anyway.

- Once you beat the game with both characters, you unlock 'Isa & Kaichi' mode. This means that you can swap between the two during a level as many times as you want. Once you've done that, you can change their aiming styles individually, which is great if you want to play as Kaichi but can't stand the semi-auto aiming system that she comes with by default.

- The game's loving hard. Especially the last two stages. If you feel yourself get angry at a particular bit then cool of for a few minutes before trying again. If you still can't do it, post in the S&P thread here and someone will give you advice.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

Anything for Darksiders?

The first two hours are terrible, but give it a chance: it gets better. Also, the dashing sword attack is broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
My friend let me borrow his copy of singularity at my house, and I was about to pop it in, is there anything I should know about it first?