Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I feel so vindicated. Unwritten is fabulous. Although I have to admit the horror-movie issue almost shook me off the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Was Taters posted:

I feel so vindicated. Unwritten is fabulous. Although I have to admit the horror-movie issue almost shook me off the ride.
I really liked that issue. Although, it was pretty jarring. I remember reading it and thinking, "Jesus, this really took a sudden left turn."

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Can you read Jack of Fables without reading Fables? That is, are they connected? Will you spoil anything by starting JoF without being up to date on Fables?

FoxNewsReporter
Jan 27, 2005
Sort of fair, sort of balanced
God this is lame, but I'm loving Greendale right now. I got the last copy at my store, and it's all I could have hoped for as a comic fan, and a Neil Young fan. It's truly tremendous, and you don't have to be a fan of either to appreciate it.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Daytripper was brutal this month. What the hell, man? :(

I was a bit confused with The Unwritten, though. So Lizzie Hexam is actually Jane Waxman. Except now, "Jane Waxman" is "onto them" and Lizzie Hexam is literally Lizzie Hexam? I'm sure answers are forthcoming, but I didn't know what to make of that ending. The thing with the "second channel" was really awesome, though.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

Daytripper was brutal this month. What the hell, man? :(

I was a bit confused with The Unwritten, though. So Lizzie Hexam is actually Jane Waxman. Except now, "Jane Waxman" is "onto them" and Lizzie Hexam is literally Lizzie Hexam? I'm sure answers are forthcoming, but I didn't know what to make of that ending. The thing with the "second channel" was really awesome, though.

Presumably it's all about the power of names and characters. If she was originally Jane Waxman, what did they say happened to Jane? For optional metanarrative, how many readers does the Unwritten have and how long have we known her real name was Jane Waxman (I seem to remember it from a few issues back).

One thing's for sure, I'm never disappointed by this drat book, and am always left looking forward to the next

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

bairfanx posted:

Presumably it's all about the power of names and characters. If she was originally Jane Waxman, what did they say happened to Jane? For optional metanarrative, how many readers does the Unwritten have and how long have we known her real name was Jane Waxman (I seem to remember it from a few issues back).

One thing's for sure, I'm never disappointed by this drat book, and am always left looking forward to the next
The Jane Waxman reveal was only last issue, I believe, when she first spotted the missing person flyer.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Can you read Jack of Fables without reading Fables? That is, are they connected? Will you spoil anything by starting JoF without being up to date on Fables?

The big story they built up through the first few Jack trades was resolved in a crossover event with Fables, Jack of Fables and a third book that was just for the event (I think). That's collected in a fables trade so I guess you could pick up all of Jack and then The Great Fables Crossover, but I'd recommend starting with Fables and then reading at least until Jack leaves that book for his own.

Also nobody here reads Northlanders? I am saddened.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Phoon posted:

I want to, I just haven't caught up on it yet. That might be a book I just pick up in trades. Same with Scalped, which is another "I really need to get to this" Vertigo book high on my list.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah I get it in trades, not sure how I'd feel about the various two parters that are unconnected to anything else if I was getting it monthly. First two books are big stories, the third is all the small stories so far.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

The Jane Waxman reveal was only last issue, I believe, when she first spotted the missing person flyer.

Hmm, I don't have a lot to do tonight, maybe it's time for a reread...

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

UncleMonkey posted:

I want to, I just haven't caught up on it yet. That might be a book I just pick up in trades. Same with Scalped, which is another "I really need to get to this" Vertigo book high on my list.

I had been putting off Scalped for years but I finally picked it up after reading some of Jason Aaron's other work (and seeing panels posted from his run on Ghost Rider that looked awesome) and was totally blown away. It is easily one of the best books being written anywhere right now and Dash Bad Horse is one of the best main characters ever. His introduction in the first issue is the definition of badass. "Whicha you motherfuckers is gonna be the first to cry for Jesus?"

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I will say from the opposite viewpoint, having only read Fables and not Jack of Fables, when I got to the crossover issue I was totally lost.

Now I feel like I HAVE to read JoF in order to continue following Fables. :(

Man, I tried reading the first Sweettooth trade and I got through it but it just isn't grabbing me. I sense there's an awesome story in there but it just isn't clicking. Does it get better?

I tend to just stick to trades, so all this talk of how awesome Joe the Barbarian and I,Vampire are has got me excited. I really don't like superhero stuff, so Vertigo is a godsend.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 11, 2010

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

Phoon posted:

I am in love with Northlanders and Scalped. They're the only Vertigo books I don't trade-wait on.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Phoon posted:

I love Northlanders, between it, Demo and DMZ Brian Wood is probably my favourite writer in comics at the moment

An Taoiseach fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 11, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

choobs posted:

I had been putting off Scalped for years but I finally picked it up after reading some of Jason Aaron's other work (and seeing panels posted from his run on Ghost Rider that looked awesome) and was totally blown away. It is easily one of the best books being written anywhere right now and Dash Bad Horse is one of the best main characters ever. His introduction in the first issue is the definition of badass. "Whicha you motherfuckers is gonna be the first to cry for Jesus?"

As of the Gnawing trade, Red Crow is officially outbadassing Dashiel. Probably one of my favorite villains ever. It even feels somehow wrong applying that title to him even with all the awful stuff he does.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

As of the Gnawing trade, Red Crow is officially outbadassing Dashiel. Probably one of my favorite villains ever. It even feels somehow wrong applying that title to him even with all the awful stuff he does.

It definitely feels wrong to call Red Crow villain. He has legitimate motivations and a fleshed out personality. Reading the book is a war for me, do I want Dash or Red Crow to win? The answer changes issue by issue.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I don't think anyone is going to win, I'm sort of imagining that 90 percent of the cast is going to die. I'm just hoping Officer Falls Down survives somehow. Poor guy is just trying to do his job.

It is pretty amazing how this series started out with a bunch of characters that felt like tropes and just evolved them into really well rounded characters. Red Crow seemed like your typical evil business man/boss in the first trade, now he is pretty damned heroic at some points. Dash is more then just your typical badass anti-hero now too. Scalped loving owns.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Holy poo poo! Check this out:

quote:

Mike Carey and Peter Gross want you to choose an adventure

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010

By Pamela Mullin

I haven’t even read it yet and THE UNWRITTEN #17 is already gearing up to be one of my favorite issues yet. I have such fond memories of reading CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE, WHICH WAY and similar books as a child; where you picked multiple paths until you reached the conclusion. Well, once again the experience is at my fingers, but this time, through a comic book. THE UNWRITTEN is about story, and to expand on that, THE LIVES OF LIZZIE HEXAM: A Choose-a-Story adventure gives the reader different stories to read depending on which path (or paths, if you want to read them all) he/she takes.

THE UNWRITTEN #17 is an ambitious 32 page stand alone story which one reads sideways like Dash Shaw’s BodyWorld. Oh, and did I mention that the finishes are by Ryan Kelly (it’s the first time they’ve reunited since Lucifer)? So, enter the mind of Lizzie Hexam, Tom Taylor’s sidekick and explore the contradictory, impossible events that made her what she is. Victim or champion? Madwoman or saint?
http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2010/06/16/mike-carey-and-peter-gross-want-you-to-choose-an-adventure/

gently caress I love this book.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Snuffman posted:

Man, I tried reading the first Sweettooth trade and I got through it but it just isn't grabbing me. I sense there's an awesome story in there but it just isn't clicking. Does it get better?

I came away with the same feelings after reading the trade but after picking up the rest of the singles, I am completely enthralled. I think the first trade is mostly the setup and story finding its feet, with a glimmer of greatness which comes to full shine in the subsequent issues. I believe the second trade is coming out in December if you want to give it another try.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet
Some of my friends are all about Lucifer. I haven't even read Sandman, though I've been wanting to go through both for a while. Not a ton of money to blow on trades, how much of Sandman should I get into before starting Lucifer?

I too have just started Scalped. It's loving excellent.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Lucifer gives up ruling Hell and opens a night club.

That's all you need to know to start the book. I read Lucifer before Sandman and I don't believe I lost anything.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Yeah, Lucifer's pretty heavy on referencing and continuity, but it's all to the Bible and Paradise Lost and poo poo, not Sandman itself.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm going to Nth Scalped here, I picked up volume 1 on a whim with an amazon order and am going to pick up the rest of the available trades soon. The art is awesome and has a really neat brutal/rough feel to it, and the characters all seem pretty interesting so far.

Plus, Nunchucks!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Plus, Nunchucks!

I think Red Crow is still keeping those in the front drawer of his desk like a pair of chattering teeth or x-ray glasses confiscated by the principal. I hope they get liberated soon.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

d00gZ posted:

Yeah, Lucifer's pretty heavy on referencing and continuity, but it's all to the Bible and Paradise Lost and poo poo, not Sandman itself.

That's good to know, but I scored some guy's old library Sandman trades for cheap on eBay anyway. I'm pumped

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Snuffman posted:

I will say from the opposite viewpoint, having only read Fables and not Jack of Fables, when I got to the crossover issue I was totally lost.

Now I feel like I HAVE to read JoF in order to continue following Fables. :(

You really don't. I was lost with a bunch of the JoF related content and was glad when The Great Fables Crossover was done. Fables is back to normal and moving along just fine.

All this talk of Unwritten is my worst fear confirmed, though... it really is as excellent as the first trade was and now I'll have to try and follow it more regularly.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Alright I got the first Scalped trade and that was great, and today I picked up the first Unwritten trade. This better be loving amazing with all the build up you guys have given it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

KFCB posted:

You really don't. I was lost with a bunch of the JoF related content and was glad when The Great Fables Crossover was done. Fables is back to normal and moving along just fine.
I felt the same way not having followed the JoF stuff at all (I just don't find him interesting at all), was happy when it was over and the new story looks as good as any so far.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
The thing about Jack is that he was never too interesting in Fables, but his own series was awesome and hilarious. The Great Fables Crossover makes a lot more sense if you saw what happened leading up to it in Jack's series and seriously, it funny non-stop.

However, the last two story arcs since the Crossover ended have been pretty lackluster and aren't really going anywhere. I'm hoping the series gets back on track and starts being entertaining again.

Ezekiu
Oct 18, 2008

I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub, and you're not gonna reach my telephone.
What's the consensus on the Lucifer series? I ordered the first trade for 5 bucks so even if it's not good it was cheap.

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.

JnK07 posted:

What's the consensus on the Lucifer series? I ordered the first trade for 5 bucks so even if it's not good it was cheap.

It is really, really good.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

choobs posted:

The thing about Jack is that he was never too interesting in Fables, but his own series was awesome and hilarious. The Great Fables Crossover makes a lot more sense if you saw what happened leading up to it in Jack's series and seriously, it funny non-stop.

However, the last two story arcs since the Crossover ended have been pretty lackluster and aren't really going anywhere. I'm hoping the series gets back on track and starts being entertaining again.

Yeah, I picked up some JoF TBP from the library and it's great but this was after reading all the crossover stuff.

The baseball arc was meh (mostly because we all want to know about Mr. Dark) but I've found the Rose Red stuff to be interesting. Although if she is still bawling in bed like a big loving baby by the end of the arc, I'm going to be disappointed.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

JnK07 posted:

The first trade is awful compared to the rest of the series. It won't be revelatory comics, but if you stick with it, the story is actually rather great for a mid-period Vertigo comic. It isn't Transmetropolitan or Preacher (its contemporaries), but the book is drat good.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

The first trade is awful compared to the rest of the series.

Just for a differing opinion, I love the first trade, partially because I'm a fan of the art used in the Sandman Presents: Lucifer mini.

I'll agree that it's not revelatory, but I personally found it more enjoyable than Sandman. I've not yet finished Transmet (picking up the new trades) but I would put it in a very different league than Sandman/Lucifer.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I think it's great if it's your first exposure to Carey. But it's pretty much start to finish with my biggest knock against Carey, his main characters are so awesome, perfect, and clever. It's completely Deathnote style "No! It was me who was standing behind you this entire time!" Lucifer is good enough otherwise to let it go, but with his other stuff like Legacy he laid it on way too thick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JnK07 posted:

I like it more than Sandman.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I like it more than Sandman.

This is why I love you.

Gassire posted:

his main characters are so awesome, perfect, and clever.

Have you been reading The Unwritten? I guess Tom's got a little bit of that going for him in the random literature trivia, but he kind of hates that about himself too.

I do feel that there's a certain level of cleverness to his characters' dialog, but I'd be more likely to say that they're flawed and clever than awesome/perfect and clever. Except for Lucifer, of course.

I did stop reading Legacy after the Rogue/Gambit issue though.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 4, 2010

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
I've been slowly working my way through Doom Patrol, and I just finished the 4th trade last week. I think it's is shaping up to be my absolute favorite Grant Morrison series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
I did forget about The Unwritten, he does seem mindful of the criticism with that one. I just wish he would research the trivia Tommy spouts off, some of it is just plain wrong.

Good choice on Legacy, by dropping it you missed the issue where Rogue gets psychic powers and without missing a beat goes around solving the problems of everyone on Utopia.

• Locked thread