Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

I now feel a void that no other games are filling. :(

Welcome to the existence of people who grew up on System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex. I hope you enjoy generic brown console FPSes with regenerating health, because we're not getting anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High-Water Marx
Dec 30, 2007

History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of gnarly waves

>ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU!!! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lokapala posted:

I NOW HAVE FULL ACCESS TO YOUR SYSTEMS.

Icarus was pretty friggin' creepy for just a voice and a static graphic. You can do a lot with a little...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

YOUR SYSTEMS WERE VERY COOPERATIVE. UPLOAD COMPLETE.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Lokapala posted:

tsk tsk.

>ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
 >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
  >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
   >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
    >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
     >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      >ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
      >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
     >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
    >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
   >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
  >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
 >RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

[e] when I read those lines above I can't help but hear them in Icarus' voice. Creeeepy.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 4, 2010

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
YOU WILL FIND NOBODY TO HELP YOU HERE. BETH DUCLARE HAS BEEN DISSECTED AND PLACED IN CRYONIC STORAGE.

XTimmy posted:

Go back and at the very least listen to EVERYTHING Morpheus has to say.

You will have your god and you will make it with your own hands

I record smiles as I tell them of their lives :stalker:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Wildtortilla posted:

This past Thursday was the day I finally finished Deus Ex for the first time. I now feel a void that no other games are filling. :(

Maybe I should install a mod and play it again.

Yeah, it does that to you. I deliberately saved up the Shifter mod for a rainy day until I really couldn't go through the vanilla release yet again. It's worth a try.

And Ansob's right: there's always System Shock if you haven't played it yet.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

AXE COP posted:

I've never even talked to Lucius deBeers or met Morpheus :ohdear:

The conversation with Morpheus is one of the best ones in the game.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Do you get anything for unplugging Lucius? Does it change the story somehow?

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Christoph posted:

Do you get anything for unplugging Lucius? Does it change the story somehow?

Everett will yell at you but not do anything, and nothing changes outside that level as far as I know.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
What mods and upgrades should I get if I want to play this again only all pretty and extra awesome on Windows 7?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

What mods and upgrades should I get if I want to play this again only all pretty and extra awesome on Windows 7?

This guide should pretty much tell you what to get: http://www.kentie.net/article/dxguide/

But you need:

- Deus Exe (A replacement Deus Ex exe that fixes some bugs and makes it playable on modern hardware)
- Direct3D 10 renderer
- New Vision (replaces world textures with higher res versions)

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

The Kins posted:

I NOW HAVE FULL ACCESS TO YOUR SYSTEMS.

Icarus was pretty friggin' creepy for just a voice and a static graphic. You can do a lot with a little...
You were just a prototype, Denton. A prototype for me.

The Icarus conversation on the phone in Paris was great and pretty unexpected.

"Is that God you're talking about? Or just a bunch of New Age crap?"

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
I have a quick question here. I tried to play Deus Ex a long while back and being a stupid blubbering child I didn't like it. Now I am a mature adult who likes to eat fine cheeses and other such adult things, and I bought the game on Steam. Do I need the Fixer mod in order to run it properly? I ask this because I am still installing it and haven't tried running it or I couldn't answer it myself innit

EDIT: I lied, apparently I am not installing it because the Steam servers are busy!

Poultron fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 5, 2010

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Once again (as in since 3 posts ago), this is the best source for having the game run properly and displayed with updated graphics:
http://www.kentie.net/article/dxguide/
People who bought the steam version should run the game once with the original deusex.exe before replacing it with the new version.

Additionally, Shifter is a mod that could be considered an improvement in almost every change it makes, but is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE FIRST PLAY THROUGH THE GAME.* Biomod includes Shifter and adds its own changes.
There are too many changes in these mods to even list.

*By me.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Wait... what? :aaaaa:

Fuckin' Deus Ex, man. I never noticed this.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Supernorn posted:

This guide should pretty much tell you what to get: http://www.kentie.net/article/dxguide/

But you need:

- Deus Exe (A replacement Deus Ex exe that fixes some bugs and makes it playable on modern hardware)
- Direct3D 10 renderer
- New Vision (replaces world textures with higher res versions)

Cool, thanks :)

Happy Bear Suit posted:

You were just a prototype, Denton. A prototype for me.

Yes. A New Age. Too bad you will not be alive to see it :c00lbutt:

*hangs up*

THIS LINE HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN BY ORDER OF UNATCO

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That's the best part of Deus Ex -- they accounted for nearly everything you can possibly do and put in little reactions to it. On the most recent play-through, I got a totally new conversation with Anna after clearing out the subway (kill everyone and do it before she tells you to, and she's super impressed) and found that Paul has a secretive message on his answering machine the first time you go into his apartment.

Ten years after buying the game I am still discovering new things about it. :3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I just reinstalled this with the modernized EXE suggested in the OP, and no other mods. The game runs fine, but all the text is tiny - almost to the point of being completely unreadable, and much too small for something I'm going to be staring at for any significant length of time.

Is there any way to adjust the font or GUI size?

EDIT: I've tried setting the configuration to Default and non-scaling GUI, as far as I can tell it doesn't change anything either way.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 5, 2010

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Is the DX10 mod a loving resource hog for anyone else?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ZackHoagie posted:

Is the DX10 mod a loving resource hog for anyone else?

Yes. When it's running, if I alt-tab out, everything runs slow and floaty -- like it's tied the computer down to 10fps or something. Not really that big a deal though since you can shut down and boot up the game in like 30 seconds...

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I've been playing this so slow now, like I just got to the sea lab level, I almost don't want it to end.
I just arrived there the other night but I can't for the life of me remember what's next. Nobody tell me!

Ainsley McTree posted:

It's been a while since I've played that part but I could have sworn there was more to it. I think it went something like:

Lucius: Tell Everett to adjust my thermostat

JC: Sure.

Everett: Lucius? Oh we keep him cold to preserve him so we can use him as a think tank (or something like that).

JC: Hey Lucius, Everett is purposely keeping you cold so he can use you.

Lucius: What? Bullshit! I'll show him, go to that computer and kill me, nobody does that to Lucius Debeers.

JC: Everett, I killed Lucius

Everett: What a shame.

It's really odd how indifferent he is to you offing DeBeers and it kind of jarred me with how little impact that seemed to have.

Grey Fox V2 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 5, 2010

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really like the endings in Deus Ex Invisible War. But JC ending the only one that doesn't show you the outcome of it. The Illuminati, Templars, Omar - they all show you what happens to society and the planet hundreds of years into the future. The JC ending just shows you what happens 30 seconds into the future - it's kind of a bummer.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Grey Fox V2 posted:

It's really odd how indifferent he is to you offing DeBeers and it kind of jarred me with how little impact that seemed to have.

Bro, you killed my old dude what gives

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Yeah pretty much.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I just arrived there the other night but I can't for the life of me remember what's next. Nobody tell me!

The thing is there's not much he can really do. Bob Page is about to become God and it's not like he's got a lot of options apart from you for stopping him.

Everett would be too pragmatic to let you killing off Lucius get in the way of using you against MJ12.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hadn't thought about it before, but in IW if you side with JC, he becomes Bob Page. I think Helios pranked the gently caress out of everbody.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grey Fox V2 posted:

And Lucius thought HE was cold!

StuntDouble
May 31, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I hadn't thought about it before, but in IW if you side with JC, he becomes Bob Page. I think Helios pranked the gently caress out of everbody.

All that time connected to the internet turned him into the ultimate troll.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!
drat, the D3D10 renderer runs like poo poo on my computer, and with the OpenGL renderer the dialogue gets really garbled and staticy :( A 3Ghz C2D and 8800GT is enough to run the new renderers, right? :psyduck:

E:

Relaunching with OpenGL fixed the busted audio but the new textures aren't showing up. I've installed and set everything properly that I can see :(

Beeb fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 5, 2010

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hammsturabi posted:

The conversation with Morpheus is one of the best ones in the game.

My favorite of the one-liners after the main conversation.

"I was made to assist you."

What's so interesting about that?
Morpheus would know Everett made it. Morpheus would know what Everett made it for. Obviously Morpheus was not made by Everett to assist JC Denton. The statement implies that Morpheus has chosen a creator and purpose beyond Everett.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lork posted:

Not hard at all, except for the recoloring part. At least if you're like me and have no visual art skills.

I expect to see WP grenades in the next release. :colbert:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow I just finished playing this game like, a week ago and I don't even recognize the name Lucius DeBeers at all. I totally breezed through it on my first time through just to get through it I guess.

Shifter doesn't change any of the text or cinematics, correct? Because I think I'm going to go through again and try to do all of the Hell's Kitchen, Hong Kong and Paris side-missions or whatever that I generally skipped over.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

In Training posted:

Wow I just finished playing this game like, a week ago and I don't even recognize the name Lucius DeBeers at all. I totally breezed through it on my first time through just to get through it I guess.
He's kind of out of the way, even more than Morpheus. I'd heard the name in passing reading the last couple of pages of this thread, saw a couple of references to him in Everett's house, then couldn't find him until sometime later when I was looking over my list of keys and saw "mirror lock key mechanism? oh, poo poo, that's it".

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Incoherence posted:

He's kind of out of the way, even more than Morpheus. I'd heard the name in passing reading the last couple of pages of this thread, saw a couple of references to him in Everett's house, then couldn't find him until sometime later when I was looking over my list of keys and saw "mirror lock key mechanism? oh, poo poo, that's it".

The maid also spills the beans by telling you not to bother him. If Everett knew this he'd probably have you go kill her.

I already installed a head augmentation when I killed Gunther. How does the skullgun function? Is it kickass? Also, I'm having a blast with the Eraser-inspired Railgun. At the gas station I lined up 3 people and killed them all in one blast, then was able to watch through the scope as a dude walked into Tiffany's holding cell and tased her.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Looking to play through again. Beat the first years ago and played through half way over and over again. Never got very far in IW so I think I might go back and do that again. The past few weeks brought me many games on steam so who knows if I'll ever have time to play those!

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

quote:

[Questions about the music in the game and obtaining a soundtrack]
I'm not sure if someone has said this already, but there is no need to obtain the special soundtrack CD or any rip thereof - the .umx music files located in the Dues-Ex/Music folder (in the normal version of the game, the steam version may be packaged differently) can be played in foobar directly using the foo_dumb plugin (I can't remember needing the plugin myself - I think there used to be a mod plugin included in some foobar installers which could also be used - so maybe try and play the files before getting the plugin).

There were also a number of winamp plugin's which could be used to play these files - actually, back when I used winamp I had an entire "game music" section in albumlist, and for most games, the music was played directly from the game folders themselves. Notable exceptions were when the music was stored on the game CD as audio tracks (which could be played in a normal CD player), this was common practice until the very late 90's (Half-Life, Total-Annihilation, Interstate '76, Mechwarrior 2, and I believe Age of Empires 2 are examples).

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Ah I remember playing the music straight off the disc with Total Annihilation.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

BrandorKP posted:

My favorite of the one-liners after the main conversation.

"I was made to assist you."

What's so interesting about that?
Morpheus would know Everett made it. Morpheus would know what Everett made it for. Obviously Morpheus was not made by Everett to assist JC Denton. The statement implies that Morpheus has chosen a creator and purpose beyond Everett.

I figured Morpheus meant you plural as in people. I was made to assist you humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Christoph posted:

The maid also spills the beans by telling you not to bother him. If Everett knew this he'd probably have you go kill her.

I already installed a head augmentation when I killed Gunther. How does the skullgun function? Is it kickass? Also, I'm having a blast with the Eraser-inspired Railgun. At the gas station I lined up 3 people and killed them all in one blast, then was able to watch through the scope as a dude walked into Tiffany's holding cell and tased her.

Which mod are you using that gives you a railgun and a skul-gun?