Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Gassire posted:

I did forget about The Unwritten, he does seem mindful of the criticism with that one. I just wish he would research the trivia Tommy spouts off, some of it is just plain wrong.

Good choice on Legacy, by dropping it you missed the issue where Rogue gets psychic powers and without missing a beat goes around solving the problems of everyone on Utopia.

The fact that we're noticing the Tommy trivia makes me wonder if it's supposed to be wrong or not. There's a whole lot there in the book that feels like research must have been done for it, and to get other things wrong strikes me as very odd if it's unintentional.

My standard for X-books is that I give up on them when they start to feel stale or boring. I liked Carey's run up until Legacy, then it felt like someone gave him the job of "fix the X-men continuity," and I decided I didn't want to be along for that clusterfuck of a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

This is why I love you.

I stand by it. Lucifer is such a well written character through the entire series. Everything he does has a finely honed purpose and he wastes no energy on unimportant activities. Coupled with a fantastic cast and wonderfully written enemies and you have a brilliant story and I really wish Carey would do a Lucifer mini-series to revisit him.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I stand by it. Lucifer is such a well written character through the entire series. Everything he does has a finely honed purpose and he wastes no energy on unimportant activities. Coupled with a fantastic cast and wonderfully written enemies and you have a brilliant story and I really wish Carey would do a Lucifer mini-series to revisit him.

The one thing that made me really enjoy the ending was that the option to revisit the character is always there.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I've been slowly working my way through Doom Patrol, and I just finished the 4th trade last week. I think it's is shaping up to be my absolute favorite Grant Morrison series.

The end of the fifth trade is possibly the best thing ever. I love how it ties in everything and yet isn't that shocking but somehow is. I won't ruin it for you, but be sure you have the sixth trade on hand.

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

SkellingTon Loc posted:

I've been slowly working my way through Doom Patrol, and I just finished the 4th trade last week. I think it's is shaping up to be my absolute favorite Grant Morrison series.

I got some old Doom Patrol the other day that I've been enjoying. Between the team hate fests and occasional unironic corny poo poo, I couldn't not like it. It's funny to me how many letters in back mention getting into the series because of the name. I always thought it would be a great band name, but apparently so did a lot of other lovely bands.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Doom Patrol IS my favorite Morrison series still, after all these years. It may not have the stylistic flourishes of some of his later stuff, but on the other hand a lot of GM's latter work has been very narratively advanced, but lacks "soul" for lack of a better word. For instance, much of Seaguy left me pretty cold (except for the very end of the second series) even though I "got" was he was going for.

DP, on the other hand, never lost sight of its essential humanity -- beautifully summarized by the Chief's "fairy tale" monologue late in the series -- to balance out the weirdness and experimentalism, and it's all the richer for it.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
I'm gonna recommend Scalped as well. It was one of the last Vertigo books I hadn't read, and I compare it favorably to 100 Bullets. It's amazing that you really have to read these from the first issue to really appreciate the story arcs. If you pick them up in the middle, you lose so much.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

wildmamboqueen posted:

I'm gonna recommend Scalped as well. It was one of the last Vertigo books I hadn't read, and I compare it favorably to 100 Bullets. It's amazing that you really have to read these from the first issue to really appreciate the story arcs. If you pick them up in the middle, you lose so much.

i just found the first trade of this in a used bookstore.

LOVED IT!f
I'm gonna be picking up the rest of these trades pretty soon.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

bairfanx posted:

My standard for X-books is that I give up on them when they start to feel stale or boring. I liked Carey's run up until Legacy, then it felt like someone gave him the job of "fix the X-men continuity," and I decided I didn't want to be along for that clusterfuck of a ride.

For what it's worth, now he's fixed the X-Men continuity, it's pretty much been a comic focused around the premise that if Rogue actually could actually use her powers, she could kick rear end. So Rogue uses her powers and kicks rear end.
That said, of course, the quality of everything hangs on the ending of 2nd Coming.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

bairfanx posted:

Just for a differing opinion, I love the first trade, partially because I'm a fan of the art used in the Sandman Presents: Lucifer mini.

Yeah, that art is so great. I specially love Lucifer's face when he says "Everyone involved in this drama seems compelled to overact".
Transmetropolitan got me back into comics and Lucifer further cemented my revived interest, and while I can't choose one over the other let's just say that I love Lucifer on an intellectual level (drat clever book, it is) but Transmet got me like a punch in the gut. It was loving visceral.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Sick_Boy posted:

Yeah, that art is so great. I specially love Lucifer's face when he says "Everyone involved in this drama seems compelled to overact".
Transmetropolitan got me back into comics and Lucifer further cemented my revived interest, and while I can't choose one over the other let's just say that I love Lucifer on an intellectual level (drat clever book, it is) but Transmet got me like a punch in the gut. It was loving visceral.

Transmetropolitan got me back into comics at one point, too. I still recommend it to people to this day. Or, if they've read Transmet but aren't currently into comics, either Preacher or Invincible seems to do the trick (the latter straying somewhat from this particular discussion, of course).

If it weren't for a combination of Fables and 52, though, I probably wouldn't have gotten back into my current comic habit, and I definitely wouldn't be buying 20+ comics a month like I am right now.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Anyone reading American Vampire or Joe the Barbarian?

American Vampire would be worth it just for the Rafael Albuquerque art, but the writing is pretty good in both the main story and the backup.

And Joe the Barbarian is something I'm buying and reading in two and three issue chunks. It will probably read better in one sitting, but drat the execution is fantastic.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sigma posted:

Anyone reading American Vampire or Joe the Barbarian?

American Vampire would be worth it just for the Rafael Albuquerque art, but the writing is pretty good in both the main story and the backup.

And Joe the Barbarian is something I'm buying and reading in two and three issue chunks. It will probably read better in one sitting, but drat the execution is fantastic.
I really want to be reading Joe, but I've decided to wait on the OSHC and take it in at once, biggie-sized.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

redbackground posted:

I really want to be reading Joe, but I've decided to wait on the OSHC and take it in at once, biggie-sized.

I'm double dipping, because I have a Morrison addiction. This is not a "problem" I want cured :colbert:

FortillianBantoburn
Apr 26, 2010

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.
I just started reading Morrison's Doom Patrol too and dear GOD is it everything I want from a comic.

I'm reading Joe the Barbarian too, but I'm not digging it particularly. Its got a bit too much non-stop action.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Roydrowsy posted:

i just found the first trade of this in a used bookstore.

LOVED IT!f
I'm gonna be picking up the rest of these trades pretty soon.

Jumping on the Scalped love. Just finished the first trade and I can't wait to dig into the rest. I bought 1-6 so I should have some good reading ahead of me.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I grabbed the first trade of Air yesterday. I have no idea what is happening in this book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You should give Air about 4 issues, then it really picks up.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Oh I'm enjoying it I am just baffled. End of the first trade was quite a wtf moment.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

minimalist posted:

Doom Patrol IS my favorite Morrison series still, after all these years. It may not have the stylistic flourishes of some of his later stuff, but on the other hand a lot of GM's latter work has been very narratively advanced, but lacks "soul" for lack of a better word. For instance, much of Seaguy left me pretty cold (except for the very end of the second series) even though I "got" was he was going for.

I agree completely, and would actually go so far as to say that Morrison's Doom Patrol is my favorite comic book ever, period, because it is so effective at getting you to care about such odd characters. People always remember the cool poo poo he did with Crazy Jane, and the change from Negative Man into Rebus, but to me, the coolest thing he did was that he made Cliff Steele into a really wonderful character. He was kind of like a more screwed up version of Marvel's the Thing, mainly because he was supposed to be the big bruiser of the group but his robot body always struck as being kind of second-rate, like nobody wanted to take much time constructing the drat thing, and when he finally gets a new body, it gets destroyed . Despite the fact he was constantly getting trashed in the series, he keeps on plugging along, helping out his friends, and generally being a cool dude.

I always loved that for a character built around such a physical concept (robot dude who punches things), he is at his most effective in the series when he is without the use of his body. (Entering Crazy Jane's subconscious, and of course, the end of the series.) The moment at the end of the series, where he shows up with Danny the Street to pick up Crazy Jane and tells her to come in out of the rain is such a "gently caress yeah!" moment, especially when it precedes my all-time favorite last line of any comic.

There is another world. There is a better world. Well...There must be.

It's such a wonderful ending, and so much more goddamn optimistic than what was happening in comics at the time (GRIMNGRITTY), or even what is happening in comics today. So, yeah. Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol for life. If you don't like it, I don't care about you.

Joe the Barbarian is cool too, although it strikes me personally as being more mannered than I am used to in a Grant Morrison comic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

InnercityGriot posted:

I agree completely, and would actually go so far as to say that Morrison's Doom Patrol is my favorite comic book ever, period, because it is so effective at getting you to care about such odd characters. People always remember the cool poo poo he did with Crazy Jane, and the change from Negative Man into Rebus, but to me, the coolest thing he did was that he made Cliff Steele into a really wonderful character. He was kind of like a more screwed up version of Marvel's the Thing, mainly because he was supposed to be the big bruiser of the group but his robot body always struck as being kind of second-rate, like nobody wanted to take much time constructing the drat thing, and when he finally gets a new body, it gets destroyed . Despite the fact he was constantly getting trashed in the series, he keeps on plugging along, helping out his friends, and generally being a cool dude.

I always loved that for a character built around such a physical concept (robot dude who punches things), he is at his most effective in the series when he is without the use of his body. (Entering Crazy Jane's subconscious, and of course, the end of the series.) The moment at the end of the series, where he shows up with Danny the Street to pick up Crazy Jane and tells her to come in out of the rain is such a "gently caress yeah!" moment, especially when it precedes my all-time favorite last line of any comic.

It's such a wonderful ending, and so much more goddamn optimistic than what was happening in comics at the time (GRIMNGRITTY), or even what is happening in comics today. So, yeah. Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol for life. If you don't like it, I don't care about you.

The thing I love about Doom Patrol is how completely insane it can be and how okay it is with that. Cliff's evolution from man trapped in hell to the most normal member of the group is quite a revelation and at the end his inability to recognize why he's a hero is quite remarkable. Still, nothing beats Morrison's own way of making the series his own via Danny the World. Somewhere in the DC Multiverse Danny the World is still there, with Negative Man/Etc still floating around, with Robotman and Crazy Jane still living their lives. That stuff that came afterward? Eh, it might look like them, but it isn't Morrison's, and that's quite beautiful.

Plus the New New Brotherhood of Dada rocks the loving Earth.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Does DMZ get better after the first trade? I bought the first one on a whim and I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not I like it. I can't tell if it was just a jumbled mess of exposition smattered with heavy-handed "WARBAD" tones because it was trying to set up the conceit for the series so it can do what it wants to do, or if its just going to continue the disjointed, heavy-handed WARBAD thing.

The first trade just seems like its way too rushed, skips a bunch of the actual development, and is trying too hard to tell too much in a single issue.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Sigma-X posted:

Does DMZ get better after the first trade? I bought the first one on a whim and I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not I like it. I can't tell if it was just a jumbled mess of exposition smattered with heavy-handed "WARBAD" tones because it was trying to set up the conceit for the series so it can do what it wants to do, or if its just going to continue the disjointed, heavy-handed WARBAD thing.

The first trade just seems like its way too rushed, skips a bunch of the actual development, and is trying too hard to tell too much in a single issue.

A lot of development happens later. It's not just WARBAD in later trades. It becomes more about how to people survive in these situations. Everything goes from black and white to shades of grey very quickly.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't know, Wood never really makes it seem like living in a warzone isn't bad. If you can accept the conceit that Manhattan is now a cross between a refugee camp and Afghanistan, then it is pretty interesting and enjoyable. If you think book 1 was heavy handed and you're dreading anything vaguely anti-war, then I don't know if the book is for you.

The point of the book isn't that America is horrible or that soldiers are all baby killers, it is that war is pretty hosed up, it is possible to survive, it encourages a certain kind of politics and survival instinct, and there's a shortage of benevolent people.\

e: It's been a while since I read book 1, but I don't remember it being heavy handed

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't know, Wood never really makes it seem like living in a warzone isn't bad. If you can accept the conceit that Manhattan is now a cross between a refugee camp and Afghanistan, then it is pretty interesting and enjoyable. If you think book 1 was heavy handed and you're dreading anything vaguely anti-war, then I don't know if the book is for you.

The point of the book isn't that America is horrible or that soldiers are all baby killers, it is that war is pretty hosed up, it is possible to survive, it encourages a certain kind of politics and survival instinct, and there's a shortage of benevolent people.\

e: It's been a while since I read book 1, but I don't remember it being heavy handed

book 1 has "securing the LZ," The Ghosts, the snipers in love, the guy who steals Matty's creds, and something else I forget. The guy who steals Matty's creds and the snipers' issue were interesting, the rest (especially The Ghosts) felt kind of forced.

Overall it felt like there wasn't enough talking to people who weren't spouting exposition, and in particular The Ghosts felt really, really loving forced. Especially the big 'reveal' as a guy is dying OMG YOU ARE THE GHOSTS WHO loving KNEW???

In retrospect, I think The Ghosts were really the weak link, half of the book is pretty rote, the snipers and the consequences of losing his credentials were interesting notes, but nothing counteracted how lame I felt The Ghosts were, from concept to execution.

The politics of the book aren't something that are going to put me off (hell, I'm reading Scalped and enjoying it, and I don't think you could get a more obvious "look how America has hosed us" thing if Nitz literally hosed Red Crow in the rear end,) but DMZ is leagues behind Scalped for storytelling and hook at this point.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
I read DMZ up until the 40s or so, where I thought it got dumb. The main character uses all his sweet hookups to start a paramilitary of his own! Totally aweso-wait, what happened to all that "I don't kill people, IM A JOURNALIST IVE COVERED WARS YOU KNOW" poo poo from earlier?" I dunno, it just seemed really contrived.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

KiloVictorDongs posted:

I read DMZ up until the 40s or so, where I thought it got dumb. The main character uses all his sweet hookups to start a paramilitary of his own! Totally aweso-wait, what happened to all that "I don't kill people, IM A JOURNALIST IVE COVERED WARS YOU KNOW" poo poo from earlier?" I dunno, it just seemed really contrived.

I also started off enamored with DMZ and then felt that it really tapered off.

Now, Demo #6 on the other hand...

Whoa. Hell of a way to close their second set. I kind of freaking love Demo.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 9, 2010

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
So, I just binged through Scalped up til about issue 30 or so, and wow. You guys weren't kidding when y'all said that was a hell of a book. The only thing I don't like is that it's so relentlessly depressing. I mean I guess that's the point but...Jesus.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

strangemusic posted:

Now, Demo #6 on the other hand...

Whoa. Hell of a way to close their second set. I kind of freaking love Demo.

W-what? There was a second Demo series!? How the hell did I miss that?

I guess its waiting for the collected trade for me.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 10, 2010

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Just finished Sweet Tooth #11. For those on the fence about the book after reading the first trade, I would encourage you to give the second a shot when it comes out. That's a really high demand, I know; but I think the first and second story arc really have to be read as one. The end of #11 brings things full circle in a really satisfying way; and with it, the second arc as a whole really allows you to understand and almost sympathize with why the first arc ends like it does. Also, there really is a sense that the world of this book is about to open up in a really big way.

I think #11 is the best issues of the series so far. It's very tight and powerful.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

UncleMonkey posted:

Just finished Sweet Tooth #11. For those on the fence about the book after reading the first trade, I would encourage you to give the second a shot when it comes out. That's a really high demand, I know; but I think the first and second story arc really have to be read as one. The end of #11 brings things full circle in a really satisfying way; and with it, the second arc as a whole really allows you to understand and almost sympathize with why the first arc ends like it does. Also, there really is a sense that the world of this book is about to open up in a really big way.

I think #11 is the best issues of the series so far. It's very tight and powerful.

I just bought the first trade of Sweet Tooth, thanks for the heads up!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Daytripper is the best comic on the market right now. Each month just gets more and more spectacular, but I'm really anxious about the people who are going to get the trade, slam it in an hour and miss the point.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

^burtle posted:

Daytripper is the best comic on the market right now. Each month just gets more and more spectacular, but I'm really anxious about the people who are going to get the trade, slam it in an hour and miss the point.
That could happen with anything, though. Daytripper is unique in every possible way. It's a book that challenges you to really think and reflect and respond emotionally.

Sure there will be people who don't get it; and sure, being able to read the entire thing at once will be a different experience from waiting from month to month. But there will still be those who read it and reread it and and want to think and talk about it. I think the people that would slam it in an hour and miss the point, probably would have bailed on the book after the second issue anyway if they'd be reading the singles. I wouldn't worry about those people.

But yeah, Daytripper is really incredible.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Ellis' banned issue of Hellblazer to finally be printed. source (well, and here)

The whole Vertigo Resurrected special sounds pretty cool and now I really want to know what else is included.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 19, 2010

gorgeous west
Feb 17, 2007

Man in the Planet

^burtle posted:

I really want to start in on it, but I'm going to wait for the trade. I read a lot of things at once, though, so I might only average one issue a month. Or week, or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Ellis' banned issue of Hellblazer to finally be printed. source (well, and here)

The whole Vertigo Resurrected special sounds pretty cool and now I really want to know what else is included.

Maybe the unedited Rick Veitch Swamp Thing stuff? But seriously, how much decent unpublished stuff can they really have sitting around?

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs
It's clearly not just unpublished stuff.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh

InnercityGriot posted:

Morrison is quoting Morrissey you know.

I love Doom Patrol also, although I was too young to get into it when it was in publication.

Most of the comics I read from 10 through 13 were my mother's Vertigo titles... Most boys would probably sneak in their parents room after school to scope out their dad's porno mags.

Me? I was reading Preacher.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

GOP posted:

Morrison is quoting Morrissey you know.

Haha, for real? Learn something new every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
Chiming in with the Lucifer > Sandman love.

Joe the Barbarian feels like an action-packed punch Thomas Covenant trilogy.
Which is entirely lacking, at great lengths in the Covenant trilogies.
I feel Joe definitely gains from this and all the action figure glories of the past... excellent book.

• Locked thread