Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkamus
Jan 28, 2010

chomper posted:

I just took this picture due to the crazy poo poo on the last page.

seriously, though, who keeps a gun on their desk?
i keep the CZ 75 SP-01 in the drawer but not on the desk...

i keep it on my desk just because i dont have a drawer for it, and i like it within arms reach. also i hate you for already having that sp01 simply because it's my next purchase and you already have it. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Dacke posted:

I have the same case as him with the same cpu cooler (that's an H50 I think, except I'm running a push/pull setup) and I didn't even know these existed. Thanks for this!

I have no idea where I heard of it but its really a useful product. My case originally had rear intake for the cpu but I wanted a more traditional front to back airflow so it was perfect for changing that.

GPU/PSU air should not go near the cpu intake :colbert:

2x 120m in 2x 120m out, slightly negative overall from the gpu/psu

Oh, and my little buddy is Luna :3:

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

Parkamus posted:

i keep it on my desk just because i dont have a drawer for it, and i like it within arms reach. also i hate you for already having that sp01 simply because it's my next purchase and you already have it. :P

See i'm smart... it was my first semi-auto pistol purchase!

Actually, a Ruger 22/45 (BULL barrel ;) ) was, but it's obviously not for defense.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
Heh, handguns. :smug:

Trapdoor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 22, 2010

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
^^ gently caress yeah, dwarf fortress!

The guy with the Soviet theme room is awesome. Also, you guys have some cool toys :3

e. Silly me. Forgot to describe the microphone;
It records noises.

Zero Trust fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 22, 2010

hentaipanda
Feb 6, 2007

As always: the urgent does not leave time for the important

No guns or milk I'm afraid.

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

malefactor posted:

I have no idea where I heard of it but its really a useful product. My case originally had rear intake for the cpu but I wanted a more traditional front to back airflow so it was perfect for changing that.

GPU/PSU air should not go near the cpu intake :colbert:

2x 120m in 2x 120m out, slightly negative overall from the gpu/psu

Oh, and my little buddy is Luna :3:

I'm running a similar setup to yours, but without the 120 mm in the front 5.25 inch bays. I've also got my side 120 fan setup as intake instead of exhaust to feed the o/c'ed 4870x2 because of the lack of an intake fan in the top 'heat zone'. It seems to help the card with the temps on mine a bit as opposed to mounting it the other way. I also had to rig the other fan on the back side of the case for the radiator since the stupid NB/mosfet heatsinks kept me from stacking fans. Negative pressure here as well.

Click here for the full 650x544 image.

Dacke fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 22, 2010

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Dacke posted:

I've also got my side 120 fan setup as intake instead of exhaust to feed the o/c'ed 4870x2 because of the lack of an intake fan in the top 'heat zone'. It seems to help the card with the temps on mine a bit as opposed to mounting it the other way.

I have mine my this way because I dont want air coming in the "top side" and going out the back without passing through the cpu cooler. That would cause a short circuit of air flow. I'm pulling air off the top and the back of the cpu cooler so its kind alike having negative pressure in my cpu cooler. :waycool:

edit: you dont have this problem since your rear exhaust is your cpu cooler. Air can come in the top and out the back and its just more fresh air cooling the cpu. :3:

I also wanted to help pull air out of the partially separate hard drive cage because I normally have 6 hard drives down there and the psu doesn't pull that much air. This way extra air doesn't get trapped down there since it wants to rush up into the negative to part of the case and make room for new air to keep the drives cool.

Rivetuner excessively cools my gpu so I dont really worry about it.
idles 30% fan sub47C, games 55%fan sub65C

malefactor fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 22, 2010

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

malefactor posted:

edit: you dont have this problem since your rear exhaust is your cpu cooler. Air can come in the top and out the back and its just more fresh air cooling the cpu. :3:

Yeah, your setup makes sense. I also made the comment because Lian Li installs these side fans as exhaust from the factory (at least on mine and a few others I've dealt with). It's usually the way most people set it up on air cooling.

quote:

Rivetuner excessively cools my gpu so I dont really worry about it.
idles 30% fan sub47C, games 55%fan sub65C

I wish. 60C at idle and 82C at load with the side fan as intake. Set it as exhaust and it's close to 90C. This is partly because it's just a hot running card/overclocked and also because I've disabled Powerplay in an attempt to stop some of the annoying microstuttering I'm getting in some games. It's helped quite a bit for me personally, but for some people it seems to make no difference. Then there's plenty of people who don't get any stuttering at all. :argh:

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Dacke posted:

I wish. 60C at idle and 82C at load with the side fan as intake. Set it as exhaust and it's close to 90C. This is partly because it's just a hot running card/overclocked

Well...

my GPU does have a 6000rpm fan on it :lol:, so 55% fan is ~3500 rpms, its not exactly quiet under load.

But the cpu fan idles at 50% of 2600rpms so it can get loud under full load too. If you get mare aggressive at your fan settings (even just a little), you can really bring the temps down. When I'm in a game I either have headphones on or music going so I dont care.

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

http://www.guru3d.com/article/rivatuner-20-fan-speed--overclock-guide/1

There are lots of guides on how to use it.

It lets me get a lovely 820/980 overclock too. :D (stock 750/900)

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Sporadic posted:

I'd worry more about the chair that's trying to shed.

Dacke
Jun 29, 2006

malefactor posted:

:words:

Yeah, I used to use Rivatuner on my old X1950XT, and it disables Powerplay by default anyway. It's a nice o/c app and I had forgotten about it, so I'll definitely look into it when I get home. Thanks for reminding me.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Work desktop

It's actually a little less embarassing right now.

doubtful
Jan 27, 2004
geez man, less embarrassing? need to get your mind right and clean that poo poo up

ya i live it, mouse pad free, get at me

doubtful fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 29, 2010

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

doubtful posted:

geez man, less embarrassing? need to get your mind right and clean that poo poo up

you put that tall glass of water there on purpose didn't you.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
I didn't think laser mice worked on glass...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I *love* that wood paneling behind the desk. If only I had a room in which I could pull that off.

Or I lived in a barn.

Either one I'd be OK with.

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

doubtful posted:

Do you have a source for that wallpaper?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I *love* that wood paneling behind the desk. If only I had a room in which I could pull that off.

Or I lived in a barn.

Either one I'd be OK with.

Wood paneling can look fine with the appropriate flooring and ceiling. The big problem is that most of the time its wall to wall paneling with a popcorn ceiling and no trim work, also shag carpet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm imagining it as a single wood paneled accent wall in an industrial concrete loft.

Yeah so I basically want to live in some hipster loft, what of it :colbert:

doubtful
Jan 27, 2004

Photex posted:

you put that tall glass of water there on purpose didn't you.

no, but do you think it adds to the composition?

this mouse works on glass and it's awesome.

the wallpaper is a picture i took, what size would you like?

ya it's just the one wall with wood, i don't really like it.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

doubtful posted:

Awesome photo. Can I request it too? And push my luck for two sizes? 1920x1080 and/or 1280x1024

kingfet
Jan 30, 2010

doubtful posted:

For me as big as you have would be great.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

doubtful posted:

Yes it does because it's screaming out, "i'm so clean and everything all I do is drink tall glasses of water :smugbert:"

doubtful
Jan 27, 2004
here's the wallpaper - http://loganlinks.com/IMG_3515.JPG 3456x2304 4MB

doubtful fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 29, 2010

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

Sporadic posted:

Bought a used desk off of Craigslist for $20. Throw in another $10 to replace some missing screws, put rubber tops on the legs and it ended up pretty nice. I'm just extremely paranoid that it will cave in and destroy all my goodies since it is a little wobbly :ohdear:

How did you get Fliqlo into foobar?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

This is what I have curently, fairly decent, though the desk is particleboard

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
those goddamn iphones just keep getting bigger

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The Third Man posted:

This is exactly what I thought, too, and it took far longer than it should have to actually figure out what was going on in that picture.

what987
Jul 3, 2010
i5 Macbook Pro, courtesy of AppleCare when my 2 year old Core2Duo kicked the bucket.
Standard LG 23" LCD.
Logitech Z2300 Speakers.
3 500GB WD Externals.
The Macbook Pro stand consists of two IKEA napkin holders, $2 each.

poo poo's minimilist because I'm moving in three weeks. I'll make it pretty after.

what987 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 4, 2010

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

The Third Man posted:

My initial reaction was similar to "hey, the monitor on the right is tiny... oh."

Changed my setup a bit because the craftspeople needed access to the heater, and in the process of which my desk suddenly ended up in a way that made it possible to sit on the bed and work on the desk's short end at the same time:

Then again, appearances can be deceiving...

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 5, 2023

Chicken Boo
Mar 20, 2009

I wear a disguise to look like human guys.

The cables are a mess because this is the only angle you can see them.
I don't have an excuse for the layers of dust.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Just got rid of my desktop today, so I'm proud of how non-cluttered my desk is now. Just wish the new laptop's touchpad wasn't so spazzy, but I guess that's why they made wireless mice (which I'll be getting this coming payday).

Flashlight, beer, whiskey, DS Lite, games, computer, mug, lamp, flash drive. I like not having so much junk on my desk. And your eyes work just fine, that IS an ethernet cable running from my wall to my laptop. I should probably invest in a router, maybe.

Parkamus
Jan 28, 2010

Footboy posted:

My primary monitor doubles as my gaming TV. Consequently, cable management could use a little work.

where did you get that desk at?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Footboy posted:

My primary monitor doubles as my gaming TV. Consequently, cable management could use a little work.

What are you using for a wrist cushion?

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

Just got rid of my desktop today, so I'm proud of how non-cluttered my desk is now. Just wish the new laptop's touchpad wasn't so spazzy, but I guess that's why they made wireless mice (which I'll be getting this coming payday).

Flashlight, beer, whiskey, DS Lite, games, computer, mug, lamp, flash drive. I like not having so much junk on my desk. And your eyes work just fine, that IS an ethernet cable running from my wall to my laptop. I should probably invest in a router, maybe.

Wow, I like that desk. Were did you get it from?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Keebler posted:

Wow, I like that desk. Were did you get it from?

I have that same desk and chair in my university apartment, and I like the desk a lot.

The sticker on the bottom of mine is from University Loft Co. Maybe you can find it in their online store.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
What do you guys do if you have A LOT of peripherals?

2 monitors
2 sets of speakers (game console/computer)
3 external HDs
2 music players (iPod/iPhone)
2 input devices (mouse/keyboard)
1 steering wheel (oh my god so many wires)
1 capture device
1 webcam

It's never all on at once. But there is a poo poo tonne of wires everywhere under my desk. And I don't even have enough power plugs for it all with two power strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I mounted most of my crap underneath my desk with a pegboard.

http://www.decluttered.com/