Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

6. The Iron Giant - Wrote it off initially, have since learned it's actually good.

You get to watch this! One of the most touching animated movies I've ever seen.

Okay, so after a few too many weeks, I finally got to see Dr. Strangelove today. That movie was pretty drat funny and I loved the acting in it. Peter Sellers was top notch in all three of his roles, but I thought George C. Scott stole the show. His performance was so comically perfect, from the looks and body movements to his line delivery.

The whole movie is amazing and I'm sorry I never finished it earlier!

Here's my updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4. Chinatown I'd be going into this one blind. I don't even know who the lead is, but I hear it's a good movie, so I suppose I should see it some day.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. There Will Be Blood. I'm one of those people that watched No Country For Old Men instead. I hear it's brilliant, but it doesn't look too interesting to me. OIL!

10. Do The Right Thing. I have no idea what this movie is about, but I have no problems with Spike Lee as Crooklyn is one of my favorite films and I did enjoy Jungle Fever. I'd be going into this one pretty blind.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

4. Chinatown I'd be going into this one blind. I don't even know who the lead is, but I hear it's a good movie, so I suppose I should see it some day.

And that day is this day.

After getting two DVD's from Netflix that were too damaged to play, I finally saw Raging Bull, and goddamn. A close to flawless movie with De Niro's best performance I've seen so far as the self-destructive Jake LaMatta. The fighting scenes are a piece of directing/editing brilliance. My only gripe is that the end began to drag on a little too long, but the performances made up for it.

My list of SHAME:

1. Vertigo – I’ve watched a criminally small amount of Hitchcock

2. The Rules of the Game – I really don’t know anything about this film besides the praise it gets

3. 8 1/2 - never watched a single Fellini film

4. Tokyo Story – same with Ozu films

5. Barry Lyndon – Kubrick’s one of my favorite directors and I’ve put this off for a while

6. The New World – I've seen every other Malick film and absolutely love them

7. Rear Window – like I said, I need to watch more Hitchcock

8. M – I’ve had the DVD since Christmas

9. Ikiru – one of the famous Kurosawa films I haven’t seen

10. Pan’s Labyrinth – been meaning to see this for a while now

Watched: Raging Bull

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Nroo, you get The New World. That movie is unbelievably beautiful (although, every movie on your list that I've seen is beautiful).

Finally chipping in with my own list:

1) Nashville - Maybe the biggest American movie of the 1970s that I haven't seen - and considering how much I love the 1970s, that's pretty bad. I have this from the library right now.

2) I Am Cuba - I'm a huge sucker for tracking shots and great cinematography in general which means I'll probably love this.

3) Tokyo Story - I have no excuse to have not yet seen any Ozu. Actually, I kinda got turned off to seeing any because Roger Ebert would never shut up about him if he ever had a chance to mention him in passing which got annoying.

4) Napoleon - The only reason I haven't watched this is because of its length (5.5 hours). I have the next three days off, though, so I'll probably use that as an excuse to watch it.

5) The Cameraman - I love the Keaton I've seen and this is probably the biggest of his that I'm missing. It's also my friend's favorite Keaton.

6) A Streetcar Named Desire - One of those things I keep saying I'll get around to and never do.

7) In the Mood for Love - Chinese (and Asian cinema in general, but particularly outside of Japan) film in general is a huge weak spot for me.

8) Stalker - This has sat at or near the top of my to-see list forever, it's in that awkward area where I'd like to buy it but the DVD doesn't look that great (plus I can't bring myself to buy DVDs anymore) and I haven't bothered with renting.

9) The Exterminating Angel - I'm way overdue to see more Bunuel. All I've yet bothered with his Belle du Jour which I thought was good.

10) The Manchurian Candidate - I have no reason to not have seen this at all. Looks fantastic and right up my alley.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also, I absolutely love that somebody in this thread will be seeing Chinatown with no idea who the lead even is. Lucky bastard.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Criminal Minded posted:

6) A Streetcar Named Desire - One of those things I keep saying I'll get around to and never do.
I'm giving you this one because nobody can have enough Tennessee Williams.

I watched both the recommendations I got.

I really enjoyed The Hunt for Red October. I loved the way the story was told with tension and the way everything came together at the end. I think Alec Baldwin makes a much better Jack Ryan for this story than Harrison Ford would have. Plus, it was strange seeing Sean Connery act like a Russian with hair and seeing Alec Baldwin act like a good dad. :v:

I was really impressed with The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. What made the movie so powerful was the subtle stuff. For the violence, they didn't use stock sound effects for gunshots or punches; it was much more visceral and real than usual. The outlaws consciously using large words to sound smart was also a nice touch. There was also the non-verbal communication, like the look on Zee's face when Bob came back. More than anything, the film's sudden scene transitions and lack of adherence to a three-act structure reminded me of My Own Private Idaho of all movies.

I also watched Rashomon independently. This movie was good too. The movie was obviously really about human nature and the tendency of humans to lie to themselves. I was impressed by Kurosawa's mastery of subtlety even at that early point in his career. He had a good idea of scene changes, and knew when to wipe and when to cut. Like a lot of older movies, it's not a movie I'd be in a huge rush to watch again, but I'm glad I saw it once.

Anyway, may as well update the list.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Hunt For Red October
Rashomon

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Clash of the Titans: (the first one) I always wanted to see this movie. I really like Harry Hamlin for reasons even I can't explain. I'm guessing I'll be watching it too late to enjoy it. But I saw Earth Girls Are Easy for the first time just a few months ago and absolutely loved it, so I'm not afraid of a little 80s cheese.
Enter the Dragon: I could probably watch more Bruce Lee than I've seen (mostly The Green Hornet).
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
High and Low: I watched as much Kurosawa as I could find to prepare for a term paper I did on him. But I didn't get to this movie. It's the movie of his I've wanted to see most, especially since I've never seen any of his non-period pieces.
Raging Bull: I love Scorsese and I love DeNiro. How this movie has slipped by me all these years I don't understand.
Tron: Probably not exactly a classic in the truest sense of the word, but I'm a huge fan of David Warner and this is another movie where I feel like not having seen it is a hole in my pop culture knowledge.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 4, 2010

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Edit: Missed the last thread, neglected to read the OP, ignore this post...

Also I'll watch Rosemary's Baby to make up for it, as per the request.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 5, 2010

Circusmacabre
Sep 3, 2006
Belle Marie Antoinette "Love the pearls!" They'll make a great tourniquet.
Tewratomeh, you should watch Rosemary's Baby. I love Alien but Rosemary's Baby is also amazing.

I am shamed by films I haven't seen far far too often. I'm one of those people who when watching a screening etc. I will be absorbed but too often I'll fine something else to do at home. Plus not having Netflix in my country makes me weep on a daily basis.

1. Man With No Name Trilogy I've always been wary of Westerns so pretty much the only one I've seen is The Searchers for uni and I was genuinely impressed. I've been meaning to go through some Westerns for a while.

2. Goodfellas/Scarface/Godfather The idea of gangster movies just does not interest me in the slightest. They're films everyone loves though right? I ama ashamed of this.

3. Les Vampires Had this DVD for far too long but I never get round to watching it. Having a housemate who hates anything made bedore 2000 really doesn't help.

4. Quills This just sounds really interesting and is generally well regarded I think.

5. I Spit on Your Grave/Last House on the Left I love horror of all sorts and I am not squeamish in the slightest. I plan to study horror film as extensively as possible which is why not seeing these is shameful. Rape scenes just disturb me on such a fundamental level though that I will have to force myself to watch these. I know with LHOTL that's the point but i still have trouble psyching ymself up. (Deliverence is still in its wrapper too.) Also now I have a rape section of my post...

6. Thirst Seems like a perfect film for me. Really have no reason.

7. The Birds Absolutely no excuse. Shameful.

8. Eraserhead Maybe I'm slightly worried I'll miss the point entirely. Just never got round to it.

9. Freaks I feel like I would really enjoy this but a lot of the time I don't feel in the mood for something like this when I know I'd get absorbed if I watched it.

10. No Country For Old Men I saw There Will Be Blood instead. At least I have the DVD!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tewratomeh needs to pick one for CloseFriend.

Circusmacabre
Sep 3, 2006
Belle Marie Antoinette "Love the pearls!" They'll make a great tourniquet.
If it helps and he doesn't, (I think the rules mean I'm supposed to reccomend for both if he doesn't come back?) I reccomend Clash of the Titans for CloseFriend because it always makes me feel like a kid again and I think even having not seen it before it might give you that nostalgic feeling, it's just that kind of film.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
drat Peaceful Anarchy how do you obtain these movies and watch them so quickly?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arturo Ui posted:

drat Peaceful Anarchy how do you obtain these movies and watch them so quickly?
I don't think anything I've watched for this thread is particularly hard to find. Most of the movies I list are ones already sitting on my shelf and have been putting off watching for whatever reason. I've gotten better but there was a time when I would blind buy a lot of stuff if I saw it on sale, so I have a huge backlog of DVDs to work through. Once someone picks it I generally just have to find the time to watch it. My work schedule's pretty light in the summer so I have plenty of time.

Now I'm off to watch Satantango, hopefully I'll be done tonight.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Watching in one sitting eh? That's how I did it. Anybody who doesn't isn't a real movie fan. :colbert:

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Circusmacabre: watch Eraserhead. Don't really worry about missing the point. It's a very surreal film and very strange.

So I watched The Elephant Man. It was good, but not quite on the same level as Lynch's best. It was definitely more "Lychian" than I expected, although that was mostly superficial. It did seem to lack a certain something, though.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy - I thought about just sticking the first one in here, but what the hell I guess I'll go for all three. I don't plan on marathoning through them all, though. I don't really know much about these, except that they're supposed to be really good and that they're French/Polish co-productions (or something like that). I've never seen anything by Kieslowski

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage - One of the big Bergmans I haven't seen. Based on the previous posts, I'd opt for the theatrical cut.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
dotCommunism, watch Scenes From A Marriage. The television version. :colbert:

Saw The Searchers, thought it was incredible. It's ambiguous without being obtuse and driven without being linear. Ford really does have an eye for framing, spending nearly the entire film in Monument Valley, always producing bold, unwavering compositions. John Wayne as an immoral racist is a really interesting choice, both playing against and playing into our expectations of him and his kind of character. He plays just who we expect him to, but the context is different this time. The comic relief was a little odd, but with great older films sometimes you have to take the period "bad" with the good, and what's good is really, really good. I'll have to see this again some time, hopefully sooner than later.

Replaced The Searchers with Touch Of Evil.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Das Boot - Having just recently had to clean out my old family home, it became really obvious how much my dad loving loved this movie because I came across like four different recorded-from-TV VHS tapes. It's been on my "should see" list for a while but I've just never gotten around to it and I don't know why.

2) Bicycle Thieves - I rented this once but I never got around to seeing it. I remember it's referenced a lot in The Player (or maybe they go see it or something). Apparently it's quite good.

3) Moon - This came through our town pretty much momentarily and it's been hanging around on my Netflix queue for a while. It just never really gets up there for some reason or another.

4) Tokyo Story - So far I've only seen one Ozu film, Good Morning (a blind-buy; it's kind of cute, actually), and apparently this is some amazing magnificent film, and Ozu is some great director, so sock it to me.

5) Gone With The Wind - Ever since I saw the Carol Burnett spoof this has been floating around in my Netflix queue. That's a great spoof. Y'all should go watch it.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) The Color Purple - This is one of those "You've never seen x? Not even in high school!?" films. It sounds intriguing, and I like Spielberg, and the DVD cover is a really nice shade of purple, but I've just never built up the desire to bump something else out of my Netflix top three.

9) Touch of Evil - First heard of this when I first saw The Player back when I was like fifteen. That's the age when you latch on to gimmicks like long takes or altered timelines and so I'm well aware of the opening shot, but I know nothing about the rest of the film other than it has something to do with bombs in Mexico.

10) The French Connection - Another been-in-the-queue-for-ages one, apparently it's a stunning magnificent thriller and frankly I could watch Gene Hackman eat a lightbulb and come away thrilled. Kinda miffed about the goofy color timing on the Blu-Ray, but it's ok, I managed Do The Right Thing, I could manage this.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tokyo Story for you, Magic Hate Ball. I haven't seen Good Morning so I can't say how it compares but it's a really wonderful film.

Criminal Minded posted:

Watching in one sitting eh? That's how I did it. Anybody who doesn't isn't a real movie fan. :colbert:

Well, I'm not sure if it's fair to say I watched it in one sitting, I did take a few short breaks to eat and go to the washroom, but I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I'll admit that first half hour was rough, so slow and with no point of reference I was really starting to wonder what I was getting myself into. Then I started piecing things together and got more and more interested. The last 3 and a half hours went by quicker than the first 3 and a half hours. Artistically and creatively this gets full points, the long takes are a bit hard to take at first but I got used to them after the first half hour and really appreciated the beauty of the composition. I also think the long takes help in actually making the whole film not feel as long since they alter your perception of time. The content of the film was intriguing and rich, but I have to say even now that the film is over I'm not sure I get everything that happened or the motivations of some of the characters. For example wikipedia says that the money central to the plot came from them all selling their share of a farm but I don't remember that ever being explicit in the film. It's not a big problem since the plot is merely a tool to frame the visuals and the characters who are richly but subtly developed, but it still feels like a few things could have been clearer without spoiling the mood and tone of the film.

Updated list:
Greed and Napoleon 4 hour silents, I wonder why I haven't seen them? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching them.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

A Time to Live and a Time to Die I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Magic Hate Ball posted:

dotCommunism, watch Scenes From A Marriage. The television version. :colbert:

Yeah, the television version isn't happening. I'm not going to be able to get ahold of it in a timely fashion. I'll definitely watch the television version someday (as soon as I can get ahold of it), but for the time being, I'll stick with the theatrical version

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The theatrical is better anyway.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
You guys suck.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Peaceful Anarchy you are tasked with the epic silent film Napoleon.

For my part, I watched The Graduate. Enjoyable movie with a great ending. I loved the cinematography...quite a few memorable images. Two complaints: actors were a bit wooden aside from Mrs. Robinson and the Paul Simon songs didn't always match the tone of the scenes (although we're a bit spoiled nowadays by masterful soundtracks).

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - I hate musicals, so I'm not sure I'll ever see this under normal circumstances.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9
A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando, Malden, Kazan, and Ms. O'Hara. The title strikes me as a bit feminine, which is probably why I haven't had any desire to see this movie.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8
The Elephant Man - I've always been interested in this sci-fi classic about a half-elephant/half-man hybrid.

The Graduate - Tier 9
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Another Nichols work...and considering I've seen neither Elizabeth Taylor nor Richard Burton in a movie, might as well start at the top.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard of the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Arkane, yo get Singing in the Rain
I'm just listing the first seven movies on netflix streaming they say I'd love. So I should get to whatever is picked quickly.

Brokeback Mountain: Somehow avoided this when it came out, I think I figured my liberal upbringing would have made it a little redundant.

Revanche: hadn't heard of it until netflix told me I'd love it.

High and Low: Kurosawa movie based on a detective novel, sounds good, I've never seen any of his non-period piece movies.

The Last Picture Show: I don't know anything about this
movie, something to do with a movie house closing down?

Paris, Texas: another one I know almost nothing about.

Children of Paradise: I keep confusing this movie with City of lost children, which is dumb. (My confusion, not the movie.)

Metropolitan: no real explanation for not seeing this, the description makes it seem like something I'd enjoy.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 7, 2010

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I knew this day would come

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Look on the bright side, if you hate it you can safely never watch another musical again, because nothing else would change your mind.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

Look on the bright side, if you hate it you can safely never watch another musical again, because nothing else would change your mind.

This is a lie. Singin' in the rain is great at what it does, but it's still very trapped in a specific convention of what a musical is, one I don't particularly like. So while I liked it more than other musicals of its ilk it didn't change my view of musicals. All That Jazz did, though, as it does something more serious with its style. 30's musicals are a different breed too and some of them like 42nd Street have some amazing stuff that you can love even if you hate the singing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wish there were more good movie musicals. There are so many really incredible stage musicals that got clunky film adaptations, it just kills me. Cabaret, Sweeney Todd, West Side Story...and that's not even mentioning the great musicals that don't have film versions. It's a miracle Sunday In The Park With George was videotaped.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Skwirl, give Paris, Texas a spin. Be prepared to get into a big slide-guitar phase for the rest of the month.

Black Orpheus Gorgeous - the colors, the women, the music. I was really surprised at the caliber of the acting, especially from the children. Really terrific performances all around - when Zeca's sneaking out of the house he accidentally plucks the guitar and makes this great face that may actually be the best bit of acting I've seen from a child. The scene where they see Death for the first time was surprisingly creepy. Orpheus was cool as hell (when he wasn't being a dick) and Eurydice was stunning, but I felt pretty bad for Mira the whole time. She was kind of an rear end but that doesn't mean she should get kicked around like that. Also, that giant staple is a horrifying weapon.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Midnight Cowboy I have this weird relationship with this movie where I'm dying to see it but completely forget about it every time I want to watch something.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Finally had the chance to sit down and watch City Of God, and I'm not sure what kept me from watching the whole thing years ago, as this time around it had my full attention from scene one. First, the stories-within-the-story structure flowed perfectly together to the point where even the smallest of characters that had maybe a minute of screen time were easily connectable and empathetic. There are also so many interesting random little shots scattered throughout that I'm sure it will reward multiple viewings. I even eventually got over the narration. Great film.

This thread is going nicely for me as I'm liking each film I watch more than the last. I just wish I had the time to keep up...

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.
2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear: )
4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.
5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it is was the movie of the month, so...
6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.
7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
7) Lawrence Of Arabia - Never got the chance to see this, definitely need to change that.
8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.
9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.
10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films. Pick one and I'll give it a try.

penismightier posted:

The Departed Just doesn't look that good.
But it is good, so you're watching it.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I loved Clash of the Titans. I could see right through most of the special effects and a lot of the plot and acting was corny, but that just made it a lot more fun. If the movie had seemed darker or more serious, it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

I'd been meaning to see this movie forever; my middle school English class got to see it, but the teacher made me go take care of something (I don't remember what), so I missed it. I just remember that all the boys in my class were ecstatic because, hey, 5 seconds of boobs. Come to think of it, the only other nudity we saw in school was The Miracle of Life, that STD slide show, a natural birth, and Roman Polanski's Macbeth. Something seems wrong about that.

In any case, that's another movie in the can.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Cool Hand Luke: I'm usually apprehensive about movies that take place entirely within one location, especially since that location is prison. But hey, I thought the Shawshank Redemption was great and Murder in the First isn't so bad if you don't try to measure its historical accuracy, so I should probably just give it a shot.
Enter the Dragon: I could probably watch more Bruce Lee than I've seen (mostly The Green Hornet).
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
High and Low: I watched as much Kurosawa as I could find to prepare for a term paper I did on him. But I didn't get to this movie. It's the movie of his I've wanted to see most, especially since I've never seen any of his non-period pieces.
Raging Bull: I love Scorsese and I love DeNiro. How this movie has slipped by me all these years I don't understand.
Tron: Probably not exactly a classic in the truest sense of the word, but I'm a huge fan of David Warner and this is another movie where I feel like not having seen it is a hole in my pop culture knowledge.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

JVO posted:

2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
I had the ending spoiled in advance and still loved it, so go for it!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

CloseFriend everybody could do with watching more Bruce Lee so you should watch Enter The Dragon. It's got Bruce Lee invading a kung fu island with a cool 70s style and great fights.

I finally got around to watching The Big Lebowski and drat it was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. There's just so much great about it, Bridges is amazing as The Dude but it's hard to single him out as everyone else puts in just a good a performance, the direction is great, the dialogue is hilarious and ridiculously quotable, just thinking about the scene with The Dude in the bathtub gets me laughing again. I was also surprised with how many other films and shows I've watched have paid homage to it without me realising, the scene with Brandt showing The Dude Lebowski's awards in particular stood out. I'll probably give it another watch within the next week or so since it feels as is if it's a movie that gets better with repeated viewings.

Updated List:

quote:

01: Apocalypse Now - I've only recently started to really get interested in war films and this name always seems to be high on war film lists.

02: Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

03: Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

04: Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

05: Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

06: Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

07: Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

08: Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

09: Raging Bull - After watching Shutter Island earlier in the year I realised I hadn't seen half as many Scorsese films as I thought I had.

10: Rashômon - I've yet to see a Kurosawa film and this is the only one I own.

Watched Films - Eastern Promises // The Big Lebowski

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

Waterhaul posted:

10: Rashômon - I've yet to see a Kurosawa film and this is the only one I own.

Watch this one. I watched it a few films earlier in this thread, and was very pleased with it.

Took me a while to watch City Lights because of the stupid holiday (sorry America) and I'm in the middle of a Doctor Who marathon in my queue, but finally got to it today. I went in a little hesitant because I've found with a lot of other silents that my attention (which is like a kitten's) wanders easily, but I found Chaplin completely charming and funny enough to hold it. I do still prefer silents more along the lines of Metropolis with its really striking visuals, but there were definitely a few scenes that had me giggling like a school girl because they were so funny (like the restaurant scene). I did think the ending was a little abrupt, and left me wanting more closure, but overall I really enjoyed it.

New list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The Grapes of Wrath I guess I really had no appreciation for the old time masters until the last year or so. I'm sorry.

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The General I've never seen any Buster Keaton.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

So happy to come back after two weeks to a still lively thread!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

For the love of god somebody make tokillthesunflower watch The Grapes of Wrath.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower I guess I'll pick The Grapes of Wrath for you. Not appreciating Ford is not a big deal in my book, but this is a really good film.

Watched Napoleon. HOLY poo poo! Let me get a couple of things out of the way first, it feels every bit its length, and it should be called The Rise of Napoleon because it ends before he even takes power. Oh, and Napoleon is short. Not that either of those things are really negatives, they're just the closest thing to complaints I can find about this.

One issue I often have with silents is pacing, even in ones I love, so I had reservations about a 5 and a half hour film but it's so packed full of action, intrigue and information that, while it feels long, very little of that time feels wasted. The other big thing with silents is how important a score is to making it work. In this regard I'm glad I chose the Brownlow restoration because the Carl Davis score is absolutely astounding and fits the pacing and content of the scenes like a glove. Those two issues overcome, what we have is an epic tale of the rise of Napoleon set against the turmoil that was the French revolution, and the film does a great job of fleshing everything out without making it dry, giving context where appropriate without overloading the audience with information. Gance probably assumed some familiarity on the audience's part with the general outline of events, but I don't think you'd miss much if you don't know about the French revolution. It's an excellent story and while I feel it's kind of incomplete without Napoleon's actual achievement of power and subsequent downfall, that's more me wishing there were another movie than a complaint about this one.

So what makes it so great besides the fact that Napoleon's story is fascinating? I mentioned the music, but it would be nothing without the editing. The multitude of techniques Gance uses are beyond my uninformed ability to describe, but there are a lot of rapid cuts, superimposed images, and close ups to go along with amazing camerawork that captures impressive crowds with wide shots, movement with a dynamic camera and every aspect of the actor's performances when required. It's an absolute marvel to watch and even more impressive because it never seems flashy or superfluous. Every trick or piece of visual flair is there to convey something about what's going on in the film whether it be in the narrative or the emotional state of the characters. Needless to say I was mightily impressed by everything in the film and really enjoyed it.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

A Time to Live and a Time to Die I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Faces I like what I've seen of Cassavettes, this is the next one on my list but I keep putting it off.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

For The New World, is the theatrical or 3 hour extended cut preferred?

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
Peaceful Anarchy, you should watch Faces for the sole reason that you like the directors' other work. Also, I have never seen or even heard of any of any of the movies you posted. If that isn't an awesome sales pitch, I don't know what is. Sorry If you don't like it, but I have absolutely no basis to go on for any of those :(

As for me, I have managed to cross a few off my list since I last posted. The Searchers was pretty good, but not my favorite John Wayne flick by far. Oldboy was awesome, as expected. Murder on the Orient Express fulfilled my desire for an awesome mystery flick.

Taxi Driver
The Searchers
Das Boot - No excuse other than there hasn't been a convenient time for me to watch it and/or it isn't available for me to watch.

Oldboy
Downfall - I love WWII movies, and I think I may have seen some of this, but not more than a bit of it most likely.

North by Northwest - I have liked all the other Hitchcock films I've seen immensely (Rear Window and Psycho especially).

Murder on the Orient Express
Trainspotting - I'll be honest, I am just scrolling IMDB's top 250 looking for movies I haven't seen yet. Not really sure if this is worth a watch or not but I love Snatch, Layer Cake, and Lock, Stock and this seems to be in the same vein of movies.

The Abyss - I really like movies having to do with the ocean, but I haven't seen this one all the way through as the DVD player I was watching it on at the time quit, and I lost interest. I really liked the bit of it that I saw though :)

The Terminator - I have seen them all besides the original, and liked them all (T3, not as much, but still didn't hate it), so I guess that makes it shameful? I guess I kind of already know how it ends and don't really care to spend the time watching it.

Mean Streets - Seems like I should have seen this by now.

Lawerence of Arabia - Saw it once so long ago that I remember nothing about it now. I have had it sitting in my DVD case for quite a while now, but have just put it off.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I have heard such mixed opinions of it that I have put it off. I did not enjoy A Clockwork Orange, but only because I felt profoundly disturbed watching it. The Shining, and Full Metal Jacket, however, were pretty awesome in my opinion.

SKEET SKEET fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 9, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nroo posted:

For The New World, is the theatrical or 3 hour extended cut preferred?
The Extended Cut. The theatrical cut removes the entire point of watching the film.

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

SKEET SKEET posted:

Mean Streets - Seems like I should have seen this by now.

See this. It's one of my favorite Scorsese films.

Saw Fitzcarraldo. It's now my favorite Herzog. I love the imagery, the score, and it has probably my favorite Kinski role. The last sequence is terrific, too.

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid- I loved the Sting, so now I feel the need to see Newman and Redford’s other movie together.

5. The Apartment- Billy Wilder is a filmmaker I greatly respect, and I love Jack Lemmon, but I never got around to this.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched…

7. Time Bandits- I love Terry Gilliam, but never got around to this one.

8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen

9. Badlands- I've loved the Malick films I've seen (Days of Heaven and The Thin Red Line), and this one always intrigued me, but it only just occured to me that I haven't seen it.

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

meanmikhail watch Badlands it's almost as beautiful as Malick's other films and a lot of fun. I love the soundtrack, and that's not something I say often.

Well, Faces sure woke me up. There's an awful lot of nervous laughter in that film. It's really good, everything feels so raw and exposed and the performances are natural even if the characters are far from normal. Or maybe they're too normal. I can never quite relate to the dysfunction of Cassavettes characters but I still get something out of watching them struggle emotionally.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it.

Godzilla That's right I've never seen Godzilla, don't know how I didn't think of this one earlier.

Neilpeartnoy
May 21, 2006
Peaceful Anarchy watch Godzilla. It's the only movie on your list I have seen. Try to ignore the complete lack of science in it and just enjoy it for the giant metaphor it is.

I watched The Apartment and really enjoyed it. It had great acting, great dialogue and great characters. The more I see of early Jack Lemon the more respect I have for him as an actor.

Neilpeartnoy posted:

My list:

1.The 3rd Man - How did I get through film school and not see this?

2.Chinatown - I've watched the first half, but got interrupted with something mundane and never finished it.

3.Bonnie and Clyde - This one always slips my mind when I am looking for something to throw on the Netflix que.

4.Midnight Cowboy - I don't know why I have not seen this movie.
4.Patton - This is my grandfather's favorite movie. I think everyone in my family has seen this except me.

5.Last Tango in Paris - I like Brando a lot, especially early Brando.

6.The Apartment - I have had multiple people tell me this is a must see and I like Jack Lemon.
6. Barry Lyndon - One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen.

7.MASH - I respect Altman, but I tend to not like his stuff.

8.Network - Started watching this, but had to go back to work and never finished it.

9.Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? - I'm out of excuses as to why I haven't seen something.

10.Life is Beautiful - I used to really hate Roberto Benigni, I'm over it now.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Neilpeartnoy posted:

Peaceful Anarchy watch Godzilla. It's the only movie on your list I have seen. Try to ignore the complete lack of science in it and just enjoy it for the giant metaphor it is.

I knew this was coming. I guess I'll find out what the big deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Hou is kind of boring in general, but this is one of the duller ones. I'd go with A Summer at Grandpa's, Good Men, Good Women, City of Sadness or Flowers of Shanghai.