Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Bambi posted:

They've been "in the works" since the inception of the format but won't actually be released until the devil is spotted wearing a parka.

Ah, I see. I don't follow video games much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't follow video games much either, but I would have sworn that Half-Life 2 came out ages ago.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Captain Charisma posted:

Bad Boys 2 and Lawrence of Arabia at this point are Blu-Ray's versions of Half Life 2: Episode 3 and Team Fortress 2.

There you go, I fixed that for you. Anyways, Blu-Rays...

Is Das Boot ever going to come out on Blu-Ray?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't follow video games much either, but I would have sworn that Half-Life 2 came out ages ago.

It did, in 2004. Team Fortress 2 came in 2007. Both came to Mac only this year though, but I don't think that's really the issue here.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fat Lou posted:

There you go, I fixed that for you. Anyways, Blu-Rays...

Is Das Boot ever going to come out on Blu-Ray?
Das Boot has been rumored for a while, it just hasn't surfaced.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wasn't there some rumblings of O Brother, Where Art Thou? coming out on blu soon? I love that movie so much and I can't wait to see it in HD.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

bmmello posted:

It did, in 2004. Team Fortress 2 came in 2007. Both came to Mac only this year though, but I don't think that's really the issue here.

Both along with Duke Nukem Forever were infamous for many years for being eternally in "It'll be out when it's out" limbo. HL2's source code was even leaked in 2003, causing another delay.

They eventually did come out, like BB2 and LoA will.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 6, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Harlock posted:

Das Boot has been rumored for a while, it just hasn't surfaced.

boomtish

Grindhouse news excites me, but also pisses me off because I bought the seperate discs already. Dammit.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Captain Charisma posted:

Both along with Duke Nukem Forever were infamous for many years for being eternally in "It'll be out when it's out" limbo. HL2's source code was even leaked in 2003, causing another delay.

They eventually did come out, like BB2 and LoA will.

Er, Duke Nukem Forever never did come out. It finally got officially canceled in May of 2009. Here's a giant list of poo poo that happened in the timeframe that Duke Nukem Forever was supposedly in development.

Edit: I don't know why, but this one kills me:

The List posted:

• Wizards of the Coast has printed six Core Sets, 30 Expansion Sets of Magic: The Gathering. If someone bought one of every single card printed since DNF was announced, they would have a collection of over 100,000 cards.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 6, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was saying HL2 and TF2 came out and that's why I didn't use DNF

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

I was saying HL2 and TF2 came out and that's why I didn't use DNF

Ah. Well, your last post gave me the impression that you thought DNF had eventually come out, sorry for the mixup, but at least it will give the non-gamers some more context for comparison. Minor side note then we can get back on BD track - I'm actually pretty ignorant of the history of TF2. I know, vaguely, that it was supposed to come out a hell of a lot sooner than it did, but it's in bold red letters on The List so I'm guessing there's something about it that was sort of :aaa: for people at the time?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Yeah, I'm actually pretty ignorant of the history of TF2. I know, vaguely, that it was supposed to come out a hell of a lot sooner than it did, but it's in bold red letters on The List so I'm guessing there's something about it that was sort of :aaa: for people at the time?

It was originally supposed to have TF1/CS type "realistic" (for 2002 or so) graphics. It disappeared, got revamped, and FINALLY came out in 2007.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Jesus Christ, you're fast, I edited that post as soon as I posted it because I realized I hadn't quite said what I wanted to say. Well, anyway, thanks for the info, back to BDs.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never in a million years would I have guessed that Andrei Rublev would be the first Tarkovsky film to make it to Blu-Ray, and yet here it is in my hands. It's region-free, English-friendly, and a surprisingly terrific transfer. Definitely worth pursuing if you're a fan of the film (however, note that it's a 183 minute cut versus the 205 minute DVD released by Criterion).

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
A pretty negative review for Steamboat Bill Jr. which came out today via Kino. Though I heard a lot of the same complaints about The General and still thought it looked great, so I guess I won't know for sure until my copy arrives on Thursday.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Anchorman is being released exclusively at Best Buy on August 31. It will have the theatrical and uncut editions on disc. Some sites are claiming it'll have new bonus features as well as the alternate/deleted content that made up "Wake Up, Ron Burgandy", and others are saying no bonus info has been released yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bambi posted:

A pretty negative review for Steamboat Bill Jr. which came out today via Kino. Though I heard a lot of the same complaints about The General and still thought it looked great, so I guess I won't know for sure until my copy arrives on Thursday.

Looks fine to me:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/steamboat_bill_jr_blu-ray.htm

There's an interview with Kino's producer Bret Wood on Doblu... it seems that The General was captured directly from a 35mm print made from the negative, while Steamboat Bill Jr. was from a print off a duplicate negative. That accounts for thicker contrast and higher grain levels. But it at least looks like the source... Kino probably could have been more generous with black levels, though.

Also looks like Fox didn't put The Fly through DVNR hell...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/the_fly_blu-ray.htm

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Also looks like Fox didn't put The Fly through DVNR hell...
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/the_fly_blu-ray.htm

The Fly came out a while ago, they just updated the review :)

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
I bought The Fly day one quite a while ago and it's still one of my favorites. Sure, it's not crazy sharp or anything, but it's still a very film-like experience to me. There are a handful of movies I've bought on blu-ray that I always get lost in the experience with when viewing. I've described it before as feeling like I have my own film projector and copy of the film. The Fly is definitely one of them.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finding Nemo looks like a go for November 9 along with Toy Story 3.
The Evil Dead has cover art.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Fox's cash grab of releasing SD shows on Blu continues.

Simpsons Season 13 was announced today. Same deal as It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. $10 premium, 3 discs, DTS-HD MA audio.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Got Sword of the Stranger in a promo, and boy does it look good. Can't wait for more animated movies on bluray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steamboat Bill Jr. arrived today.

Rest assured, this is another A+ Kino effort. The screen captures don't do justice to the appearance. It looks perfectly film-like in motion, no worse than The Third Man or Stagecoach.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Yeah, watched mine last night and got the same impression.

Insomnia reviewed
Paranoiac reviewed

The Edge of the World (UK) Aug. 23
The Innocents (UK) Aug. 23
Loving Memory (UK) Aug. 23
A Zed and Two Noughts (UK) Aug. 23
Macgruber Sept. 7
Modern Family Season 1 Sept. 21
The Killer Inside Me Sept. 28
Dollhouse Season 2 Oct. 12

Blood Simple (initially due Aug. 3) has been delayed until further notice.

A French distributor is releasing three Borzage silents later this year: 7th Heaven, Street Angel and Lucky Star

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I could use a little help from UK goons and frequent importers. I got a nice little cash injection this week, so I've finally decided to get a region free player and just place one massive order from Amazon UK. I've been trying to compile a list of worthwhile region-locked titles, and this is what I've got so far:

21 Grams
Army of Crime
The Big Blue
Breaking and Entering
Brief Encounter
Dead Man's Shoes
Departures
Le Dernier Combat
Eden Lake
Elephant
Elite Squad
Gangster No. 1
La Haine
Inland Empire
Martyrs
Mesrine Parts 1 & 2
Micmacs
The Prisoner (2009)
Profound Desires of the Gods
Red Road
Rise of the Footsoldier
Salo (I know, I know, but I just have to own it)
Shallow Grave
Shaolin Soccer
Sin Nombre
Subway
Switchblade Romance
This is England
Valhalla Rising

I'm skipping the Chaplin releases from Park Circus since we'll inevitably get them here from Criterion, but what else should I be considering? I know I must be missing tons of good stuff, so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

e: Watership Down is getting a UK release on 11/22 :smith:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 9, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

:words:

There's plenty of good stuff coming out just this month - most if not all will be region B, I think.

July 12
Bubba Ho-Tep

July 19
Early Summer
Tokyo Story

July 26
Paranoiac
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Le Planete Sauvage
Tenebre
Vengeance is Mine
Y tu Mama Tambien

As for stuff that's already available:

Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Caligula (if you're getting Salo, you might as loving well get Caligula :D)
Candy
Hamburger Hill
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Solomon Kane
Suspiria
Thirst
Vengeance (Johnny To)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Brief Encounter seems to be a DVNR wreck like The 39 Steps and Henry V.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

I could use a little help from UK goons and frequent importers. I got a nice little cash injection this week, so I've finally decided to get a region free player and just place one massive order from Amazon UK. I've been trying to compile a list of worthwhile region-locked titles, and this is what I've got so far:

I'm skipping the Chaplin releases from Park Circus since we'll inevitably get them here from Criterion, but what else should I be considering? I know I must be missing tons of good stuff, so I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

e: Watership Down is getting a UK release on 11/22 :smith:

Keep in mind that Inland Empire was shot in SD so the best you are going to get out of the Blu-Ray is loseless audio, on one disc.

From the UK, I would recommend:

Almost Famous (Director's Cut) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Almost-Famous-Extended-Blu-ray-Crudup/dp/B0011FTQ4O
Touching The Void http://www.amazon.co.uk/Touching-Void-Blu-ray-Brendan-Mackey/dp/B001U3EOGW
Twenty Thousand Streets Under The Sky http://www.amazon.co.uk/Twenty-Thousand-Streets-Under-Blu-ray/dp/B000VA3J3O
Bleak House http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bleak-House-Blu-ray-Gillian-Anderson/dp/B000VA3J2A/
Night Of The Living Dead http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-Judith/dp/B001CHG054
Caché (Hidden) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidden-Blu-ray-Daniel-Auteuil/dp/B001EBO97O/
The Crow http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crow-Blu-ray-Brandon-Lee/dp/B000IMVMFM/
Downfall http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downfall-Blu-ray-Bruno-Ganz/dp/B001BHTN90

If you dig Trance music

DJ Tiesto - Copenhagen - Elements Of Life http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013CUB7G

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bambi posted:

Some good suggestions, thanks

Egbert Souse posted:

Brief Encounter seems to be a DVNR wreck like The 39 Steps and Henry V.

It definitely has problems, but it's probably the best we're likely get for a long time, if not ever.

Sporadic posted:

Most of these are region free :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Most of these are region free :)

Region free but not released in America :)

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I know, I just already own most of the good region free imports from Europe. I'm trying to branch out to the locked ones now that I'm about to purchase an Oppo.

e: final cover art for The Thin Red Line:

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 9, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really not feeling that cover, to be honest

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Fag Boy Jim posted:

really not feeling that cover, to be honest

It's leagues better than the fake that came out 2 weeks ago.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Starscream posted:

It's leagues better than the fake that came out 2 weeks ago.

Well it wasn't fake, it was what Criterion was distributing as promo artwork. It was just temporary / unfinished, and they apparently decided against it.

To doctor thodt:

Brick (UK, region B, 1080i50)
Switchblade Romance (UK, region B)
[REC] (Spain, 1080i50)
[REC] 2 (New Zealand, region B)
Choke (Germany, region B)
Reefer Madness (Germany, region B)
The Descent 2 (UK, region B)
Cabin Fever 2 (Germany, region B)
Carriers (Germany, region B)
Inland Empire (UK, region B)
Suspiria (UK, region B)
Straightheads (UK, region B)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sporadic posted:

I'll take a cash grab over cheaping out and releasing HD shows on standard def only (Community :argh:)

SMP
May 5, 2009

So what's the deal with Studio Ghibli movies? Why are none of them on Blu-Ray? I need Princess Mononoke in HD :negative:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Why can't they make a cash grab with Arrested Development? :mad:

SMP posted:

So what's the deal with Studio Ghibli movies? Why are none of them on Blu-Ray? I need Princess Mononoke in HD :negative:
Isn't this up to Disney, at least in the US?

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

SMP posted:

Ponyo just came out on BluRay. I was actually pondering picking it up today or just importing the Japanese Release. Honestly, though, I think they are using the same transfers in Japan and the US and differing on packaging.

E: So, I'll more than likely pick up the US release and use the US Theatrical poster as a new slip cover.

Unruly Amoeba fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 10, 2010

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

For doctor thodt
Kamikaze Girls

Other mentions
Ashes of Time Redux
Bronson
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Hamlet
Henry V
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

Just because its region locked.
Danny the Dog
Lesbian Vampire Killers
9 Songs
Midnight Meat Train

Comedy TV Series which is very good. "Tea leaf, anything from NASA?" "No? How many more people have to die before they listen!"
Psychoville

I was going to suggest The Big Blue, Departures, Elite Squad, and Mesrine but you have them in your list. :)

Although the disk is region free, I would recommend I'm a Cyborg but that's OK for £8.99 which is considerably cheaper than what is available on Amazon.com

Death's Head fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BajaBurrito
Jan 5, 2003

Delicious Fruit

doctor thodt posted:

I could use a little help from UK goons and frequent importers. I got a nice little cash injection this week, so I've finally decided to get a region free player and just place one massive order from Amazon UK.
Since you already import from Amazon UK, you might already know this, but one thing to keep in mind is that placing a massive single order increases the likelihood that you'll have to pay customs. At least for me, small orders of no more than five or six discs get shipped by Royal Mail or Deutsche Post DHL in baggy envelopes or slim cardboard packets and the US postal service just jams them in my mailbox. Bigger packages get sent by UPS in full-size boxes and dropped off on my doorstep...along with a bill for customs fees mailed to me afterwards.

• Locked thread