Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dickeye posted:

Paranormal worked on the audio level too. How much of it was anticipation based on hearing the demon walking, or hearing that distortion noise that accompanied poo poo happening?

Yeah the audio in Paranormal Activity was great. The heavy bass noise and footsteps leading up to the bedroom, all the while expecting to see something but never seeing anything (jump scare ending aside) made the film work for me.

I'd also say the Blair Witch actually works more on an audio level than visual too. Sure the ending scene is pretty iconic and terrifying but most of the movie is hearing weird poo poo, people screaming and children laughing, often in total darkness.

EDIT: Since it's a new page here's an cool poster for Piranha 3D

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Dickeye posted:

Paranormal worked on the audio level too. How much of it was anticipation based on hearing the demon walking, or hearing that distortion noise that accompanied poo poo happening?

The first time I tried to watch PA, it was on my computer with headphones on (my PS3 wasn't playing DVDs at the time), and when those footsteps ran from one side of the stereo range to the other, I freaked the gently caress out. Tossed the headphones onto the desk, and popped the movie out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The footsteps thing still terrifies me, because I used to hear that sound every night in my dad's old house. Just that steady *thud thud thud* of someone on stairs.

And nobody was on the stairs then, either! :iiam:

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

Local Group Bus posted:

One of my bigger problems with horror movies like Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch are that they rely too heavily on images to scare people when sound is so much more effective.

are you talking Blair Witch 2 and beyond? Because the first Blair Witch placed everything into the sound arena. All we saw were a few people lost in the woods and having the poo poo scared out of them with "something we never could see", only imagine by what the sounds were.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Local Group Bus posted:

Edit: Two new King movies in the pipeline. I'm counting on the remake of IT being as good as possible because it seems like the studio are loving around with Pet Sematary to try and make it more teen orientated. Interview with the screenwriter here. IT as a two hour cinema release with an R rating and a less knowing Pennywise? Yes please.

I love It. The book was amazing and of course touched on things that the miniseries couldn't do justice to in its limited run time, like the Lovecraftian "Old-God" like origins of Pennywise and its existence before the creation of the universe. That is the sort of thing that is truly terrifying in my opinion. I hope the movie does as good a job as I feel the Network Miniseries did. One good thing (if the movie is in fact R rated) is thatit can touch on some of the depravity of tormentors of the kids and their subsequent fall to Pennywise.

Such a good concept. I'm not generally a huge King fan, but It and The Shining... they are the best.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

eckoelab posted:

are you talking Blair Witch 2 and beyond? Because the first Blair Witch placed everything into the sound arena. All we saw were a few people lost in the woods and having the poo poo scared out of them with "something we never could see", only imagine by what the sounds were.

Yeah I forgot to add the 2. And maybe I need to watch Paranormal Activity again because aside from the bass drops just before the night sequences which worked really well I can't recall the demon stomps.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Defleshed posted:

I love It. The book was amazing and of course touched on things that the miniseries couldn't do justice to in its limited run time, like the Lovecraftian "Old-God" like origins of Pennywise and its existence before the creation of the universe. That is the sort of thing that is truly terrifying in my opinion. I hope the movie does as good a job as I feel the Network Miniseries did. One good thing (if the movie is in fact R rated) is thatit can touch on some of the depravity of tormentors of the kids and their subsequent fall to Pennywise.

Such a good concept. I'm not generally a huge King fan, but It and The Shining... they are the best.

I saw the miniseries before I read the book. After reading it, I was quite disappointed that the miniseries left out that Pennywise was merely one of the many avatars of IT because IT was whatever scared the hell out of you.

I'm not exactly sure if IT can be done justice in a 2 hour movie though.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
The guy who directed Monsters, an indie movie coming out in the fall that was made for $15,000, said audiences will forgive bad visuals if the sound is good, but they won't forgive a movie that has great visuals and lackluster audio. While I think that heavily depends on the movie, I think for horror films that aren't slashers, i.e. atmospherics, that's mostly true. Hearing something will often scare me more than seeing it. Blair Witch being the ultimate example of that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Keanu Grieves posted:

I just watched Kill Theory and Amusement, both of which were built on neat concepts but fell short of their potential. Still, considering the mountain of crappy horror movies at your local video store, one could do worse than watch either of these.

Just came across this and I gotta say, Kill Theory is probably my favorite Horrorfest movie that's not Dark Ride, and Dark Ride wins for having both Meadow Soprano and Ham from Sandlot.

The end twist is predictable but still decent, and it's just so mcuh fun never seeing the actual bad guy, instead watching the kids slaughter each other.

Of course the best one is Dread but that's because it's based on a great story, so don't give it too mcuh credit

e:

lizardman posted:

Not sure if it really counts as a slaher flick, but I'll throw my two cents in about Poughkeepsie. For the most part it's an enjoyable flick, even if the acting is never 100% convincing. Some of the mock found-footage scenes, however, do approach a kind of uncomfortable line of distaste: even though of course it's fake, it's supposed to look like actual torture/murder footage as much as possible, so in effect we're supposed to be getting a thrill from watching people get murdered. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth in parts. If the movie ever actually gets released (it was made in, what 2006?), I imagine they might cut a bit of the video footage, especially since some of them go on for a while.

But whenever the movie's trying to be the biggest, baddest episode of Forensics Files or Unsolved Mysteries, it's a hoot.

I don't know why I bother rewatching this movie, because there's certain scenes that just really bother me and i have to fast-forward every time. The scene with kidnapping Cheryl/killing the boyfriend and the first few tapes thereafter are the biggest examples. Is it really a good movie? No, but goddamn if that shot of him dialing the light up while he stands behind the boyfriend isn't terrifying, or the "your parents are dead" scene doesn't make your skin crawl.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 6, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Local Group Bus posted:

Yeah I forgot to add the 2. And maybe I need to watch Paranormal Activity again because aside from the bass drops just before the night sequences which worked really well I can't recall the demon stomps.

That's literally the first two nights. The demon stomps on the ground floor and knocks her keys down on the first night, and the next it's on the stairs, not to mention the one night when they wake up and sit there in bed and suddenly it just loving roars at them

I'd watch it right now and check but it's dark and I'm alone. gently caress that.

e: It also walks across the room one night, I think it's the night when you see the shadow, or maybe when the door swings closed and open again.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 6, 2010

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

tokidoki posted:

The guy who directed Monsters, an indie movie coming out in the fall that was made for $15,000, said audiences will forgive bad visuals if the sound is good, but they won't forgive a movie that has great visuals and lackluster audio. While I think that heavily depends on the movie, I think for horror films that aren't slashers, i.e. atmospherics, that's mostly true. Hearing something will often scare me more than seeing it. Blair Witch being the ultimate example of that.

Some of the scariest horror films I've ever seen are the ones where you either never see the big baddie, or don't see it until the very end.

The anticipation of a scare is often more effective than an actual visual scare.

Dickeye posted:

That's literally the first two nights. The demon stomps on the ground floor and knocks her keys down on the first night, and the next it's on the stairs, not to mention the one night when they wake up and sit there in bed and suddenly it just loving roars at them

I'd watch it right now and check but it's dark and I'm alone. gently caress that.

e: It also walks across the room one night, I think it's the night when you see the shadow, or maybe when the door swings closed and open again.

I believe that's the very first scare of the film, but I could be wrong. I loaned my copy out, or I'd check. Also, it's dark and I'm alone, gently caress that.

Cheezymadman fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 6, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, just checked, the very first night you hear it thumping around before it knocks the keys on the floor

I still say the scariest moment is either the footprints or the shadow on the door. gently caress the jump scares, gently caress her getting dragged, those two moments perfectly highlight how alone and vulnerable they are and are utterly terrifying

e: That night it can be a little hard to hear it over the bass but that could just be my subwoofer way too high, since I definitely heard it when I watched it on my TV the other day

e2:

JammyLammy posted:

Going to throw Hostel 2 (the first one was great and everyone who complained about the violence is a crybaby. The early Jason movies were much worse) and Cabin Fever on on the queue next. Hopefully they are fun.

This is retarded. In 1982 we weren't getting a girl's face melted off, or a dude's hamstrings cut. And ignoring that, the violence in the Friday movies was always just a method of killing, not "let me draw out this person's pain and agony for my own pleasure." To say that people not enjoying brutal torture were crybabies is asinine and you should be ashamed.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 6, 2010

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Anyone going to Frightfest? I remember last year asking and got no answer, then after festival you piped up.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Senf posted:

For me the entire thing looked like it was filmed through a bunch of surveillance cameras set up throughout the house. There's one problem with that though: why the hell would you have surveillance cameras set up throughout your entire house? It isn't Wal-Mart.

People with kids that hire nannies. Coincidentally, there's a baby in the trailer.

I'm not saying that's the case for the movie, but it's fairly common for upper middle-class sorts to install nanny-cams in their homes.

VampireRobot
Apr 4, 2004
I was pretty psyched when i learned that they were doing a sequel to Paranormal Activity, and that they already have a trailer and everything. I thought it'd be a given that it'd be an all new situation, in a new setting, with new characters, since the characters and the story pretty much closed up nicely at the end with the first one. When that dark woman figure showed up at the end of this Paranormal Activity 2 trailer, i was kind of disappointed. I hope that's not supposed to be the girl from the first one. I don't think i could legitimately find her scary enough for a whole nother movie. I hope it's an unrelated group of people with a new story.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
it'll definitely be all new people, but moving into the house from the first movie i assume will mean theyre subject to the same ghoul. who knows about big tits chick, hope she isn't in it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Boring posted:

it'll definitely be all new people, but moving into the house from the first movie i assume will mean theyre subject to the same ghoul. who knows about big tits chick, hope she isn't in it

What if we saw her tits?

Really, I'm ok with seeing glimpses of her, or having the family describe her, and having Katie be the demon's host or someshit, or it's form on Earth. I just don't want it to be like "hey look there's Katie knocking poo poo over"

e: If you look, in the Paranormal 2 trailer, at the very end it's a still shot of the bedroom, and there's words written in the mirror. It's easiest to see on the official site. Any idea what it says?

e2: Wiki says Katie and Micah will be in it again, together, I'm curious as to how that'll work, even as a flashback

e3: I rented the gently caress out of Feast, Halloween 3, and Shrooms today. Hell yeah. GOOD DAY

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 6, 2010

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002

Dickeye posted:

e2: Wiki says Katie and Micah will be in it again, together, I'm curious as to how that'll work, even as a flashback

They probably filmed this one over their wedding tape or something.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh

Dickeye posted:

What if we saw her tits?

Really, I'm ok with seeing glimpses of her, or having the family describe her, and having Katie be the demon's host or someshit, or it's form on Earth. I just don't want it to be like "hey look there's Katie knocking poo poo over"

e: If you look, in the Paranormal 2 trailer, at the very end it's a still shot of the bedroom, and there's words written in the mirror. It's easiest to see on the official site. Any idea what it says?

e3: I rented the gently caress out of Feast, Halloween 3, and Shrooms today. Hell yeah. GOOD DAY

see my image on the previous page mate, says WHATS HAPPENING TO HUNTER? photoshop expert :c00l:

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Anyone know what the voice at the end of the trailer says? Are there words there or is it just an incorporeal grunting sound?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dickeye posted:

:hfive: Halloween 3 is the only worthwhile Halloween sequel.

You probably shouldn't have rented Shrooms though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

They didn't make it though, it's the owners of whatever house this is

Also for all three of those movies? I paid fifty freakin' cents. Hell yeah.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Boring posted:

That wouldn't be consistent with the logic established in the original; the psychic dude was very adamant that it wasn't the house that was haunted/possessed, it was Katie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

Thinking more about this I don't think they could actually go that route. Other than that obviously Katie and Micah weren't married :v: only recently engaged, the demon didn't really do anything until they lived together and Micah started spending more time around Katie and eventually aggravating the demon. Plus the only tape that had anything supernatural on it, which is the first movie, was loaned out by the police.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Ornamented Death posted:

That wouldn't be consistent with the logic established in the original; the psychic dude was very adamant that it wasn't the house that was haunted/possessed, it was Katie.

This was the thing that bugged me the most about PA. If wacky poo poo kept going down I would most certainly go to another location, regardless of what some dude said.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

foodfight posted:

This was the thing that bugged me the most about PA. If wacky poo poo kept going down I would most certainly go to another location, regardless of what some dude said.

She already knew that it wouldn't do any good though, it's been happening since she was 8, remember?

Really, like I said, I'm OK with the idea of Katie, but I dno't want to have every scare be like OH poo poo THERE SHE IS. A couple quick glimpses of her, or the family talking about seeing a woman, that's all they really need

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Waterhaul posted:

Why does Shrooms have to be Irelands first slasher flick (I think it is anyway). All these other countrys are releasing great horror movies and Ireland has Shrooms.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

Why does Shrooms have to be Irelands first slasher flick (I think it is anyway). All these other countrys are releasing great horror movies and Ireland has Shrooms.
Whatever, Shrooms was pretty good.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
What else do we get, Friggin Rawhead Rex, ugh.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Dorothy Mills might not be a slasher but it's probably my favourite Irish horror movie.

Tears for Fears
Aug 26, 2005

by Smythe

Boring posted:

Good grief, people. I am fairly certain that Paranormal Activity 2 will not have the same characters or location. The makers of the films aren't stupid enough to do that. I'm betting that it will be a fresh movie with a similar theme and style; no other connections. The images we see in the new trailer look NOTHING like the house from the first.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tears for Fears posted:

Good grief, people. I am fairly certain that Paranormal Activity 2 will not have the same characters or location. The makers of the films aren't stupid enough to do that. I'm betting that it will be a fresh movie with a similar theme and style; no other connections. The images we see in the new trailer look NOTHING like the house from the first.

They've already said Micah and Katie will be in the film together

But no, it won't be the same house, because A) it doesn't look like it, and B) it wasn't the house that was haunted

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
haha :D

someone manlier than me re-watch PA1 this instant and take a series of detailed screencaps of the house

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tears for Fears posted:

The makers of the films aren't stupid enough to do that.

That's a pretty bold statement, especially since even cursory investigation will reveal that some of the assumptions you're basing it on are wrong.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Oh man, I watched Shrooms on Netflix a year back or so, thinking I was going to get some sort of anthromorphic mushroom killing people.

I really wish that was what the movie was about instead of what we actually got.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

What's all this hatred for Shrooms?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

A Futbol Injustice posted:

What's all this hatred for Shrooms?

It's a God awful piece of poo poo. No likable characters, no suspence, no decent kills, it's devoided of everything that makes a slasher good. Not to mention the awful twist ending you could figure out very easily.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Slasherfan posted:

It's a God awful piece of poo poo. No likable characters, no suspence, no decent kills, it's devoided of everything that makes a slasher good. Not to mention the awful twist ending you could figure out very easily.
Well...I still liked it.

So there.

(I also liked Red Mist/Freakdog.)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw the miniseries before I read the book. After reading it, I was quite disappointed that the miniseries left out that Pennywise was merely one of the many avatars of IT because IT was whatever scared the hell out of you.

I'm not exactly sure if IT can be done justice in a 2 hour movie though.

I still think they should make 2 IT movies. One about the kids in the 50's (although, I imagine they'd update it to be the 80's) and one in "current" day.

Basically give it the same split as the miniseries, except, you know, actually try to not bungle the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
I thought the box art for Shroom looked pretty neat :shobon:

I haven't had a chance to watch any good horror lately, miss anything good on instant queue?