Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Martytoof posted:

What's /p?

I think I'm going to be stuck at "managed to get camera off auto mode" forever.

The 4chan photography board.

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Tried my first panorama today (mainly to test Hugin). Pro-tip: Make sure there's no fences in your view. :frogbon:

God, there's nothing worthwhile here to take pictures off.

Also, a large superstore is closing down here, I had the chance to get an EOS 550D for over 50% off and missed it. :(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 3, 2010

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thursday was Canada Day and I was in a national park chilling on a beach trying to get some pelican shots. Being a holiday, the place was packed with people, many of whom brought dogs. I was sitting in a folding chair with my (very expensive) tripod setup in front of me when a couple walked past and watched as their dog pissed on my tripod. It was only after I made a big stink about it that I even got a completely fake apology, otherwise they seemed content to walk off.

:argh:

If it ever happens again I'll likely end up in jail.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

InternetJunky posted:

Thursday was Canada Day and I was in a national park chilling on a beach trying to get some pelican shots. Being a holiday, the place was packed with people, many of whom brought dogs. I was sitting in a folding chair with my (very expensive) tripod setup in front of me when a couple walked past and watched as their dog pissed on my tripod. It was only after I made a big stink about it that I even got a completely fake apology, otherwise they seemed content to walk off.

holy poo poo, that's an incredibly lovely thing for them to do. i would never let my dog piss on anyone's anything. that's so ridiculously inconsiderate.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

InternetJunky posted:

I thought all Canadians were supposed to be nice? :(

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

InternetJunky posted:

Was this in Toronto? If so what neighbourhood?

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
soo I got an alert on my phone saying someone posted on my wall...

What do I even say to this?!

The pictures were just pictures taken at a keg party with my kit lens and my SB-600, bouncing it or even off camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah but I printed the photos out and then used a Canon to take a photo of the scans so that's probably why.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Monster USB cable, Canon memory card, Canon printer and (re)scanner.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Who is that person?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Thug Life

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JaundiceDave posted:

Life

Lifez

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Honestly, I'd reply and just say something like "good light makes good photos; I was bouncing my flash off of the ceiling and it created a large, soft light source which generally looks pretty good."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dakana posted:

Honestly, I'd reply and just say something like "good light makes good photos; I was bouncing my flash off of the ceiling and it created a large, soft light source which generally looks pretty good."

I'd say 'Yes - I changed the settings to make my Nikon look like a Canon'

If he asks further, tell him you added some isos and bokehs.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I was hired to shoot a Boat party, and was having a great time. Check the Bands thread for some pics, I'm pretty proud of them.

Half the people on the boat were "photographers" and were totally amazed by my 7D.

One of them almost figured out how to use the AF-ON button to focus. One even managed to change the ISO setting too.

Only one, who said he had been shooting for over 5 years, asked why they couldn't see the picture on the LCD before they took the picture.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Four Banger posted:

Firmware upgrade.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Four Banger posted:

soo I got an alert on my phone saying someone posted on my wall...

The pictures were just pictures taken at a keg party with my kit lens and my SB-600, bouncing it or even off camera.

De-friend them, immediately.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

dunkman posted:

I was hired to shoot a Boat party, and was having a great time. Check the Bands thread for some pics, I'm pretty proud of them.

Half the people on the boat were "photographers" and were totally amazed by my 7D.

One of them almost figured out how to use the AF-ON button to focus. One even managed to change the ISO setting too.

Only one, who said he had been shooting for over 5 years, asked why they couldn't see the picture on the LCD before they took the picture.

I actually had the exact opposite experience last weekend. I was at this party at a friend of a friends, spotted a copy of aperture 3 on a shelf and said, "Oh, someone must be a :airquote:photographer.:airquote:" (expecting bridge camera faggotry or superzooms to abound) To which the host and hostess reply, "we both are." I ask a general gear question to prove my point without being a complete dick and they respond "40D and the old XT re-purposed as backup." Lenses? 17-50 2.8. :allears: Good to be among friends.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So, I learned an expensive lesson about wrapping each old metal lens up individually when you send them out for repairs:

Before:

After :cry:

It was in pretty nice shape before I sent it, now it's BGN at best (the glass is fine). I got it in a package deal and sent it in for repairs intending to sell it when I got it back, and now I've probably knocked at least a hundred dollars off its value. It's a Canon 100mm f/2 in Leica screw mount, which is pretty rare and collectible as those lenses go ($400-500 in good shape). gently caress me, gently caress the post office, and gently caress that $20 Jupiter-8 that did all the damage. Ugh :saddowns:

On the plus side, that was its 3rd trip back and it looks like the tech finally fixed the RF calibration.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ouch. That's absolutely brutal, aesthetically. I can actually imagine your reaction when you opened the package :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Ouch. That's absolutely brutal, aesthetically. I can actually imagine your reaction when you opened the package :(

:wtc:

"Goddamnit, that tech must have had it in for me after sending it back for the third time."

"Wait, these patterns make no sense for someone using a tool to open the lens. But my plastic Bessa doesn't have any edges on it that could do tha-"

*gazes at the knurled filter ring, focusing knob, and aperture ring of the J-8 with a sense of dawning horror and self-loathing*

The J-8 probably didn't even really even need to be in there, the guy asked for a baseline example lens that was known to be in calibration with my camera, so I sent that one along.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So, I learned an expensive lesson about wrapping each old metal lens up individually when you send them out for repairs:

Before:

After :cry:

It was in pretty nice shape before I sent it, now it's BGN at best (the glass is fine). I got it in a package deal and sent it in for repairs intending to sell it when I got it back, and now I've probably knocked at least a hundred dollars off its value. It's a Canon 100mm f/2 in Leica screw mount, which is pretty rare and collectible as those lenses go ($400-500 in good shape). gently caress me, gently caress the post office, and gently caress that $20 Jupiter-8 that did all the damage. Ugh :saddowns:

On the plus side, that was its 3rd trip back and it looks like the tech finally fixed the RF calibration.

The package was insured right? RIGHT?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

The package was insured right? RIGHT?

Nah, with all the back and forth over a $50 repair it would have gotten uneconomical fast. USPS has never lost or damaged anything of mine before so I take my chances. Plus, I doubt they would have found in my favor anyways, since I didn't protect it from the other contents of the box.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Have any of you guys seen this?

http://fstoppers.com/iphone/

Photoshoot done with an iPhone 3Gs and continuous lighting.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

goddamn I can't wait to get my iPhone 4 this weekend. I doubt I'll ever bother carrying around my Canon P&S again, from what I've seen.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The photos are really nice, but the processing is too extensive on a lot of them. Some of the models don't look like people anymore.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Shmoogy posted:

He just "forgot" to mention how much all those light would cost (and model, and make-up artists etc).

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Ringo R posted:

He just "forgot" to mention how much all those light would cost (and model, and make-up artists etc).

Yes but the point was that production + lighting is infinitely more important than the camera.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
That is, when you're in an environment in which you can control both.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

a rebel still offers a hell of a lot more control over a P&S, and I would assume that there are quite a few who complain that their rebel sucks too much to take any worthwhile photos...

On a side note, every time someone hands me a lovely P&S, I don't even know how to use it :psyduck:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

notlodar posted:

a rebel still offers a hell of a lot more control over a P&S, and I would assume that there are quite a few who complain that their rebel sucks too much to take any worthwhile photos...

On a side note, every time someone hands me a lovely P&S, I don't even know how to use it :psyduck:

Just press the button.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Dread Head posted:

Just press the button.
Sometimes I have to ask where it is after I accidentally turn the camera off or something.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I am amazing at using cameras people give me to take photos of them. Seriously. You know how some people look like their pet? Like, big nose guy has big nose dog, that poo poo. Or like, when you see someone on the street and they just look so drat sad, you know they've just found out about their mother dying or something, but they don't know yet that their pet just got hit by a car. Just that look of a person.

Well I've got that look of "let's give that guy the camera, he probably won't gently caress it up, and he doesn't look very fast".

So now I'm like "yo, Olympus, MJU, very nice, I used this exact camera to take a photo of a japanese man with his little girl on his shoulder last thursday"

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Shmoogy posted:

Olympus diisssss

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I've found that when walking around with an oversized DSLR and lens I get a lot of random people asking me to take their photo with their point and shoot. Obviously if I have a nice camera I'm not going to walk away with theirs and they figure I know what I'm doing with a camera. The problem is that I usually manage to bump it into some awful mode that needs 3 menus to turn off and the person thinks I'm some kind of rear end in a top hat. I suppose the reason I bought my first DSLR was because I'm not good with complicated controls and I think everything should have its own button.

It seems like a lot of manufacturers purposely make their lower end P&S cameras hard to operate. lovely menus and missing buttons. Kind like the Rebel not having a back wheel.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The last two people that asked me to take their pictures with their P&S had me fumbling around to actually take a god drat picture, making me look like a retard with an expensive camera.

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard about a thief who walks around with a broken prosumer/pro camera he bought off eBay running off with peoples cameras.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Shmoogy posted:

Even with the lighting and retouching the pictures look really noisy to me. REALLY NOISY.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

squidflakes posted:

Even with the lighting and retouching the pictures look really noisy to me. REALLY NOISY.

They were taken with an iPhone

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Shmoogy posted:

The last two people that asked me to take their pictures with their P&S had me fumbling around to actually take a god drat picture, making me look like a retard with an expensive camera.
Some guy asked me to take a picture of him and his girlfriend the other day. I was shown how to find The Button and after waiting for the couple to find their spot I proceeded to lift the camera to eye level to look through the viewfinder. I was confused for long enough for the guy who wanted his picture taken to come over and show me how to look at the LCD. Not one of my brighter moments, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Shmoogy posted:

Those are amazing photos, especially considering they were taken on an iphone. Wow.