Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.

Obligatory Toast posted:

Just got back from the Atlantic City concert.

It was... holy loving poo poo. Not only was it fabulously entertaining, it was run so loving tightly. I don't think anything I ever see will top that for a loooong while.

I live 45 minutes away but couldn't get tickets. Went to the Boston show way back when (3rd stop on the Monster Ball), but that was before the current show as we know it. As much as I want to hate you, I will appreciate the addition of your experience to the monster collective hive mind and :hfive: little monster to little monster :)

Also... anyone else think a Gaga smiley is totally in order in the near future? Gratuitous... but it would also be fantastic.

EDIT:

Skilleddk posted:

My two shirts just arrived. I completely forgot I need to pay customs when they arrive. All in all, I paid 100$ for two shirts. At least I got a free calendar, but drat.

gently caress that's rough, but report back once you start wearing them, mine always add something special to my day!

astareus fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumberjack Slam
Apr 22, 2008

Obligatory Toast posted:

Just got back from the Atlantic City concert.

It was... holy loving poo poo. Not only was it fabulously entertaining, it was run so loving tightly. I don't think anything I ever see will top that for a loooong while.

Also just got back from the Atlantic City show. Spent the whole night pissing away money gambling/drinking and had a nice walk on the boardwalk as the sun was rising.

Show was definitely loving amazing. Just being able to feel all the bass and volume from the songs made them twice as good. I know it's a pipe dream, but I wish I could get recordings of the songs songs that she played during her interludes and costume changes - they were awesome.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Amanda Palmer just posted an interesting blog about seeing Gaga in concert. I don't agree with everything she says, but it's a cool read.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was at the AC concert. Probably the 2nd best show I've seen. Maybe a little too broadwayish, but overall good. And I couldn't tell if she was serious or trolling when she was doing that Tinkerbell bit.

Semi Precious Weapons were poo poo. Their gimmick relied too heavily on the lead singer being gay. We get it, stop trying so hard to be a bad caricature of a stereotype. Maybe this might have been interesting 35-40 years ago, but who cares now.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Lumberjack Slam posted:

Also just got back from the Atlantic City show. Spent the whole night pissing away money gambling/drinking and had a nice walk on the boardwalk as the sun was rising.

Show was definitely loving amazing. Just being able to feel all the bass and volume from the songs made them twice as good. I know it's a pipe dream, but I wish I could get recordings of the songs songs that she played during her interludes and costume changes - they were awesome.

I'm glad you had a good time before the concert. Me and my sister had a lovely time dealing with the free shuttle service that runs out to the boardwalk (complete poo poo, gently caress those guys) multiple cab services (seriously gently caress those guys they don't even have an excuse), and then traffic going in was pure loving hell. It took us 2 hours to get out there from our hotel.

quote:

Semi Precious Weapons were poo poo. Their gimmick relied too heavily on the lead singer being gay. We get it, stop trying so hard to be a bad caricature of a stereotype. Maybe this might have been interesting 35-40 years ago, but who cares now.
They were really self-indulgent and it got irritating after a while - we even arrived late so we only heard 3 of their songs, but that was enough for me.

quote:

As much as I want to hate you, I will appreciate the addition of your experience to the monster collective hive mind and little monster to little monster
D'aww, thanks. I'm sorry that you couldn't have seen the show. It really was the sparkler-tits. Much better than seeing some lovely fireworks.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Look Under The Rock posted:

Amanda Palmer just posted an interesting blog about seeing Gaga in concert. I don't agree with everything she says, but it's a cool read.

Yeah awesome, thanks for the link.

http://blog.amandapalmer.net/

It was a good read.

itskage fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 6, 2010

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
I heard Monster on the radio this weekend. Has it been announced as the next single already and am I just way behind?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Local radio station did a "lady gaga weekend" back in ... May? Where every other song was Lady Gaga, and not necessarily a single.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pretty metal if you ask me.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Don't forget! Gaga is performing on the Today Show tomorrow!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

FogHelmut posted:

What in the gently caress.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Gertrude Perkins posted:

She's afraid of angler fish so she put one in her show.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
I think Monster might be about having sex with an angler fish.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

FogHelmut posted:

"Oh no you guys! It's tearing off my clothes!!"

And later.

"JUST EAT ME, YOU FUCKER."

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I need some advice. I have the option of getting tickets on the main floor for the oakland coliseum, or on the upper upper level. Which should I choose? I really want to pick main floor, but will I be able to see? Please gimmie advice!

realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now
How's this even a question? FLOOR TICKETS. Get plenty of rest on the days leading up to it. Get there early as poo poo and fight your way to the front, especially if you're short. Alternatively, wear ridiculous platforms. That and lame will have the added bonus of helping you fit in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gertrude Perkins posted:

All of the stage props are metal as gently caress. Tentacled Angler Fish, flaming piano, piano hotrod deathmobile, rising stage platforms, bleeding angel that is also on fire.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
That's the thing, I'm really short. I just find it weird that they're the same price. OK then, I'll do it!

astareus
Mar 12, 2007
Keep up with me now.
jpg

Click here for the full 674x700 image.

Gaga performed on the Today Show in NYC this morning, a pretty crazy amount of people showed up - around 20,000 apparently. Watched it on TV, enjoyed the performance even though it was clearly a stripped down version of her normal show for the wider audience (that's ironic, right?)

Oh, and she kept going when it started raining. Sure rain doesn't hurt anybody but the dedication is always great to see.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
I went all :3: when I read she was sending pizza and water to all the fans that were camping out for the Today Show. She's such a sweetheart.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I actually think Lady Gaga might be more overexposed than Marilyn Manson was around 1996-1997.

Could be a problem in the future, as overexposure was part of Manson's downfall.

In a couple years we may see an Onion article about Lady Gaga going door to door trying to find someone that still finds her shocking.

hathfallen
Dec 22, 2003
I don't think Manson ever played the Today Show from Rockefeller Center or appeared on the cover of Time, just sayin.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

TOOT BOOT posted:

I actually think Lady Gaga might be more overexposed than Marilyn Manson was around 1996-1997.

Could be a problem in the future, as overexposure was part of Manson's downfall.

In a couple years we may see an Onion article about Lady Gaga going door to door trying to find someone that still finds her shocking.

But that's to do with the fact that all Manson really was was a shocking image, whereas Lady Gaga's image is backed up by music far, far stronger than Manson ever wrote. If the image wasn't there I reckon she'd still have some good measure of success - you can't say the same about Marilyn Manson.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That You and I performance on the today show was absolutely amazing.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Tony Jowns posted:

But that's to do with the fact that all Manson really was was a shocking image, whereas Lady Gaga's image is backed up by music far, far stronger than Manson ever wrote. If the image wasn't there I reckon she'd still have some good measure of success - you can't say the same about Marilyn Manson.
I can :mad:

Panda Monium
Apr 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I love Manson. What a great entertainer (and Lost fan....holla) Lady Gaga may be overexposed, but she's not cookie cutter like the other people out there. Shes so unique that she's paving her own way and I can't see her fading out. I can see other people copying her style, but she's an original.
ALSO - Loved the TODAY SHOW. Love the fact that she writes music, love the voice, love the look, love everything. I'm not a pop music person, and neither is my death metal loving boyfriend - yet, no two people sing louder when Bad Romance is playing.

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

Wow Teeth was amazing in the rain! She is such a loving rock star.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Sometimes it makes me sad though, Stefani being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the the place you live in is that much more drab and empty now they are gone. I guess I just miss my friend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Speaking of Teeth, if I had a complaint about the show, it was during that song. She went to her band members, "Show me your teeth!" to have them solo for a minute. The drummer loving killed it. But the guitar and bass players, who were doing some really interesting stuff in the background of every other song, really just made loud noises and it was kind of disappointing.

Toaster Beef posted:

Sometimes it makes me sad though, Stefani being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the the place you live in is that much more drab and empty now they are gone. I guess I just miss my friend.

That's terribly depressing.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

That's terribly depressing.

It's a quote from Shawshank Redemption near the end.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My sister was telling me she overheard some people on the beach the day after the concert last week saying that they left early because Lady Gaga was "anti-Jesus." I guess the super awesome bleeding-burning angel statue offended them. Haha.

Also, some of the local shore newspapers were complaining about her use of language and how it wasn't a family oriented show.

poo poo, I don't even think Miley Cyrus runs a family oriented show at this point.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
It's even possible that concerts in general are not a family-oriented activity.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Elftor posted:

It's even possible that concerts in general are not a family-oriented activity.

Weird Al Yancovich
:colbert:

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry
Gaga sings about wanting her clit nibbled and people are expecting a G-rated show? :psyduck:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know if shocking is the word I would use to describe Lady Gaga. I was over at my parents' house for dinner last night and afterwards I was flipping through channels with my mom in the room. The music video for Alejandro just came on so I stopped there. Considering my mom is 60 years old, and she thought the video was great... yeah, shocking isn't the word to use.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Tony Jowns posted:

I would disagree. Also, for a while now I've wondered how bizarre and hosed-up a 90s-Manson/Gaga video collaboration would be. It'd cause headsplosions.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Such a lovely teacup :3:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This story is amazing because it's all true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizabeth-lynch/oh-my-lady-gaga-a-star-is_b_640324.html

Elizabeth Lynch posted:

In fact, Lady Gaga is so popular right now that her name is barely ever translated into Chinese characters, much to the chagrin of Chinese officials (if it is translated, it is usually translated as 雷帝嘎嘎 ("Lei Di Ga Ga"), meaning "Thunder Emperor Gaga"). Even for Michael Jackson and Madonna, their names are almost always translated into Chinese characters. But for Lady Gaga, her English name is not only brazenly used by the Chinese youth but has become a part of Chinese slang; nowadays, Chinese young people no longer use the phrase "Oh My God" to express surprise or amazement; instead internet chat rooms and regular conversations are filled with "OMLG!" - "Oh My Lady Gaga!"

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I hope her next video features Thunder Emperor Gaga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Angryhead posted:

Such a lovely teacup :3:
I also follow Lady Gaga on twitter :hfive:. I also also think the tea cup is awesome.

• Locked thread