Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Depending on the timing, I'd volunteer to have a beer with you somewhere in Northern Germany (which to me is anything North of the Elbe).
I live in Marburg near Frankfurt, which is a nice little town clustered around a castle overlooking the whole Lahn-valley and quite a beautiful core city that dates back to the 13th century.

As that seems to be a detour from your route, Hamburg or one of the cities in Schleswig-Holstein would be cool, as I will be staying there for a while, visiting friends. I don't know the exact date yet, but it might just be late July/early August. No Wacken for me this year, though ;)

Wacken is definitely a must see in Germany if you're into metal, even though it's getting larger and larger -which not only means logistic problems, but also brings an increasing influx of people who don' give a poo poo about the somewhat familiar atmosphere in Wacken and think it's cool to be a general dickhead (like stealing other people's beer supplies etc. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Previously on GBS posted:

I don't think so. But it's the largest urban area in Germany and it's quite significant historically so I think you shouldn't skip it if you really want to experience Germany. I've never been there but I really want to go to Zeche Zollverein in Essen.

Zeche Zollverein is pretty cool, it gave me a good idea of how lovely a miner's work must have been.

And Default Settings, your schedule is definitely missing some Saxony! I would recommend Dresden, you should stop there on your way to Berlin. Beautiful city with a very nice baroque old town.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

elbkaida posted:

And Default Settings, your schedule is definitely missing some Saxony! I would recommend Dresden, you should stop there on your way to Berlin. Beautiful city with a very nice baroque old town.
Oh yes, I am going to miss so much! I am afraid Dresden is too far off the path but I may combine this with a hiking holiday in the Erzgebirge and the "sächsische Schweiz" at one point.

quote:

As that seems to be a detour from your route, Hamburg or one of the cities in Schleswig-Holstein would be cool, as I will be staying there for a while, visiting friends.
Great, just let me know at def.settings@gmail.com. We'll be aroudn the north for a few days after the 8th August.

quote:

Wacken is definitely a must see in Germany if you're into metal, even though it's getting larger and larger -which not only means logistic problems, but also brings an increasing influx of people who don' give a poo poo about the somewhat familiar atmosphere in Wacken and think it's cool to be a general dickhead
Yeah, I have heard that it's grown too large now, and can fully believe it. But this is more a once-in-a-lifetime thing that I want to see, after that I'll stick to festivals further south again.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
If you're interested in old architecture don't go to Munich. Almost everything worth seeing is gone since WWII.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

If you're interested in old architecture don't go to Munich. Almost everything worth seeing is gone since WWII.

THE_Chris
Sep 18, 2008

Default Settings posted:

I'm alreay miffed that I have to leave out Bamberg - Many stations along the route are because of my interest in old architecture and history in general.

Nurnberg is great and all but the reconstruction after WW2 was a disaster and the city is an absolute shadow of its former self. Look up the Pellerhaus or the Toplerhaus to see what they did to it. They rebuilt the castle but the dreaded phrase "in a simpler form" is all over it.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellerhaus

I get in a rage whenever I hear the farce over the Pellerhaus. How anyone could have put a protection order on that disgusting 1950s facade is beyond me. They need to snap out of it and realise the original building was a masterpiece. Rebuilding the insides just wont work without the facade.

http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.de/rubriken/staedte_und_orte/1/index.html

I'd be TEMPTED to leave out Nurnberg and do Bamberg instead. The recon of Nurnberg was half assed and only about 10% of Bamberg got trashed so would be much better for old architecture.

Munich is worth seeing. They did keep the old street grid but reconstructed a good amount of the old buildings. There is the odd godawful recon, but the historical stuff was restored reasonably well.

Also Munich is worth it just to see the terrifying awesomness of the Asamkirche.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asamkirche
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asamkirche_%28M%C3%BCnchen%29

Edit: And the street the Asamkirche is on is quite nice, didnt look like it got demolished.

Edit2: Dresden isnt on your list?

THE_Chris fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 2, 2010

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009
General question -- I'm making a permanent move to Germany later this month and I want to get on an iPhone 4 plan pretty much ASAP. What's the best way to do this? Can I buy one from an Apple store in the US, and bring it to pretty much any carrier in Berlin, and get set up? Or must I go to a T-Mobile store and get everything from them?

Also, I didn't have much luck navigating the T-Mobile .de site for rate plans. If I want unlimited data and a reasonable amount of SMS, what am I looking at pro monat?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Brecht posted:

General question -- I'm making a permanent move to Germany later this month and I want to get on an iPhone 4 plan pretty much ASAP. What's the best way to do this? Can I buy one from an Apple store in the US, and bring it to pretty much any carrier in Berlin, and get set up? Or must I go to a T-Mobile store and get everything from them?

Also, I didn't have much luck navigating the T-Mobile .de site for rate plans. If I want unlimited data and a reasonable amount of SMS, what am I looking at pro monat?

Here's the T-Mobile iPhone rates: http://www.t-mobile.de/iphone/tarife

If your US iPhone is not SIM-locked, then I think you can get a plan from pretty much any carrier.

EDIT: Concerning T-Mobile plans, you can either have a set amount of "free" minutes and SMS per month ("Complete 60-1200" plans), or you pay by the minute/sms, depending on the carrier you're calling/texting ("Complete S-XL" plans). Depending on what you need you'll pay between € 45 and € 120 pro Monat.

Your best bet will probably be to buy an iPhone in an Apple store in the US and then get an O2o (Oh-Two-Oh) plan, as they're the best/cheapest in my opinion.

Man, I really want an iPhone 4 too :D but then again, I'm one of the few Palm Pre users who is really really happy with his device.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 6, 2010

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009

FLX posted:

EDIT: Concerning T-Mobile plans, you can either have a set amount of "free" minutes and SMS per month ("Complete 60-1200" plans), or you pay by the minute/sms, depending on the carrier you're calling/texting ("Complete S-XL" plans). Depending on what you need you'll pay between € 45 and € 120 pro Monat.
Thanks! Unfortunately all US iPhone 4's are locked to AT&T :( Just to clarify, is "HSDPA-Nutzung" what I would understand as 'data'?

edit: of course it is, dur

Brecht fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 6, 2010

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
If you're permanently moving to Germany, why not get the iPhone here? I figure it'd save you a lot of hassle.

The low end plans (in the 40-50 bucks range) are poo poo in regards to SMS, though - you'll either have 40 free SMS -or- free SMS to anyone in the same network, which is nice if you know a lot of people on the same network, but you can't really tell the network from the number anymore. Any extra SMS will cost you 19 cents, although you don't pay for incoming texts.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Brecht posted:

Does it have to be an iphone 4 when you can get a used unlocked or unlockable g or gs for a reasonable price and don't have to suffer the rape that is a 2 year t-mobile contract? Just get an unlocked older model and you are free to chose whatever plan is best for your needs.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

THE_Chris posted:

I'd be TEMPTED to leave out Nurnberg and do Bamberg instead.
After reading up a bit on that I'd say you are right, my image of Nürnberg must have been influenced by a 1930s city guide I read once. It's a shame, it had a great old town. :(

quote:

Munich is worth seeing.
I intentionally left out Munich since I've been there a few times. But I'll have to see the Asamkirche the next time, I don't think I have ever seen something so baroque.

quote:

Dresden isnt on your list?
No, that will be a different journey.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Brecht posted:

You can get plans that are cheaper than T-Mobile from other carriers. Just buy an unlocked iPhone in France, the UK, the Czech Republic (also Italy and Belgium I think) and then get whatever is the cheapest plan in Germany.

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009

elwood posted:

Does it have to be an iphone 4 when you can get a used unlocked or unlockable g or gs for a reasonable price and don't have to suffer the rape that is a 2 year t-mobile contract? Just get an unlocked older model and you are free to chose whatever plan is best for your needs.
In the US, things are (obviously) a lot different: you generally can't buy (or it is very difficult to buy) a plain SIM for a given carrier, stick it in a phone, and just start paying a monthly fee. So forgive my ignorance, but can you do that in Germany? If I bought an unlocked 3GS from somewhere could I take it to pretty much any carrier and get on a plan with unlimited data and whatnot?

edit: ^^^ I guess Previously answered my question.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah you could but the 3GS is poo poo compared to the 4 ;) I mean, you're really missing out on a lot but then again this time next year you can probably buy unlocked 4s already so whatever.

I got a question myself: I'll be in Saarbrücken for a long weekend in August, what are some good/cheap places to eat? I figure Flammkuchen are big over there, but what else? And where? Also if there's anything worth seeing in the city I'd love to know about that too ;)

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009
Follow up question, Berlin residents in particular: what's my best bet for internet service?

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
I'm heading to Oktoberfest in Munich this year (I know, I know!) and could use some advice on tent reservations. From what I've read, you really need one to get a seat and you need to call the person running the tent. But when? Months ahead of time or the day before? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Getting a seat is not that problematic. You have to come in the morning and wait 2 to 3 hours. Coming on a weekday will increase your chances. If you only want to drink 2 or 3 liters of beer you can also show up in the afternoon and use the reserved seats for a few hours. You will have to leave around 5 to 7 pm though, if you do this.

Oh, and if you want to reserve a seat, it's probably too late now.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Brecht posted:

Follow up question, Berlin residents in particular: what's my best bet for internet service?

Uh, Alice/Hansenet? They're pretty reliable.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zwille posted:

Uh, Alice/Hansenet? They're pretty reliable.

And they also have a 1 month cancellation period unlike everyone else where its 12 or 24 months.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, Alice is good. I was really happy with Kabel Deutschland, too, their customer service is really good in my experience. Plus you get better upload speeds with cable. The subcontractors who do the installation are hit or miss though.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Sereri posted:

And they also have a 1 month cancellation period unlike everyone else where its 12 or 24 months.

That's new though, isn't it? I know I signed up for a 24 month contract a couple years back.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Oh, and if you want to reserve a seat, it's probably too late now.
I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

BerkerkLurk posted:

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info.
I still recommend to look around. Here is a list of all festival tents with homepages and telephone numbers:
http://www.wiesn2.de/wiesnportal/info_03-wiesn-wirte_oktoberfest.htm

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Arwarker posted:

Marburg

Marburg is pretty great. I spent the past month living and studying there (wish I would have said something in this thread while I was still there!) but its a cute little city with some fun history, definitely good for old architecture and sights. I think the oldest building there is just shy of 1000 years old. I felt like I was living in a fairy tale the entire time walking around the Oberstadt. The best thing about Marburg that I can say is if you look in the nooks and crannies, you will find some really cool poo poo hidden. Theres a really old church and graveyard hidden up behind some shops right near Elizabeth Kirche. Finding little hidden gems like that is so cool.

Also seconding München, it's a bigger city with a lot more to do and much better public transportation and lodging. Berlin and Frankfurt are good cities but are way more modernized, Berlin was hosed up from the wars and Frankfurt is such a big business city that it's been forced to evolve more, whereas München has been preserved a lot more carefully. Try to go on weekends with festivals, it adds a fun atmosphere to everything.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Unagi posted:

I felt like I was living in a fairy tale the entire time walking around the Oberstadt. The best thing about Marburg that I can say is if you look in the nooks and crannies, you will find some really cool poo poo hidden. Theres a really old church and graveyard hidden up behind some shops right near Elizabeth Kirche. Finding little hidden gems like that is so cool.

Yeah, that's definitely what I like most about Marburg. I have a friend who actually lives in the Oberstadt, one short alley across from the "Sudhaus", if that means anything to you.
One of the Grimm brothers once said that "Marburg's surroundings are certainly beautiful; the city itself, however, is ugly. There are steps everywhere, and there is a house one has to enter through the roof." This is actually written on the steps leading up to castle, so you might have seen it.

Which part of the Uni did you frequent? The horrible PhilFak or the gruesome science faculties (in regard to the state of those buildings)?

Rums
Jan 1, 2008
Just browsing the thread and didn't see a few things I was wondering about so here goes:

I'm studying abroad at Universität Heidelberg for a year starting in September (1 month preparatory language program before I start). My intent is the mostly take German language classes, but I might also want to take some classes related to my major. It's my understanding that you have to take a rather difficult language test in order to enroll in regular university classes. I've googled around about this but the only result I seem to get is "It's hard." Anyone have direct first hand experience with the test (I believe the one I'm facing is the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang")? Curious about your thoughts.

Anyone attend Universität Heidelberg? Is this experience going to own as much as I hope it will?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
It's hard. My cousin from abroad had to learn German for six months daily before being able to pass the test. Some need a year. So, I think it depends. How good is your German right now? You will probably be able to take some non-language courses in your second semester over here though.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Rums posted:

Just browsing the thread and didn't see a few things I was wondering about so here goes:

I'm studying abroad at Universität Heidelberg for a year starting in September (1 month preparatory language program before I start). My intent is the mostly take German language classes, but I might also want to take some classes related to my major. It's my understanding that you have to take a rather difficult language test in order to enroll in regular university classes. I've googled around about this but the only result I seem to get is "It's hard." Anyone have direct first hand experience with the test (I believe the one I'm facing is the "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang")? Curious about your thoughts.

Anyone attend Universität Heidelberg? Is this experience going to own as much as I hope it will?

It probably depends on your major, but I guess you could just show up for the classes and try to take the exam at the end? Do you want to transfer credits from this or just take classes out of interest?

Rums
Jan 1, 2008
My German right now is what I would describe as fair for someone who's been studying at university level for a few years, which means not that good. That's why I'm going, I want to work towards fluency, or at least understand most of what I'm hearing. I'm okay with taking only German language courses while I'm there because my school (which doesn't have a German major) is going to give me a BA in German if I take the right courses (special major). My normal major is economics. Only thing I would take while in Germany is electives (economic history, game theory, fun stuff like that). I'm not stressing it, I just would like to take some regular university courses while there to get the full experience, ya know?

Cal State system lets me transfer all my units as resident units, and as I understand it they only transfer the courses I turn in paperwork for, so maybe I can just take some courses and if I don't do well I just won't turn in the paperwork and its like it never happened.

Might be useful to just sit in on a class and try and absorb either way...

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Rums posted:

Cal State system lets me transfer all my units as resident units, and as I understand it they only transfer the courses I turn in paperwork for, so maybe I can just take some courses and if I don't do well I just won't turn in the paperwork and its like it never happened.

If you're going through an American university system, I'd assume they have some sort of arrangement where they enroll you directly at Uni Heidelberg. That's what my program did for us. I was technically a German student and could take whatever classes I wanted. You just have to get the Schein from the professor and then you submit that back to your university and they have to decide whether to accept it or not.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Oh, and there are international programs with lectures and everything being all in English. You could look into that, too.

Rums
Jan 1, 2008
Found out I'm going to be doing 80 hours of German instruction during my 4 week long prep. language course, and afterwords I'm free to enroll in regular university classes (I'm going to be enrolled as a regular student, take whatever I want). University aside, anyone got protips about Heidelberg?

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

PISSmaster

Arwarker posted:

Which part of the Uni did you frequent? The horrible PhilFak or the gruesome science faculties (in regard to the state of those buildings)?

Mostly Philipps stuff. It's a bit confusing, the classes I took were part of the University but they were ran by a smaller department of the school and were held in a smaller building on Universitätsstaße. But I lived in Uni housing, ate at the Mensa and lived as most other students would.

I did see that Grimm quote, and it is mostly very true. Everything is uphill in Marburg. Everything.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Just in case anybody wonders, this is the route we finally decided on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walhalla_temple
Castle Donaustauf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Befreiungshalle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%E4nkische_Schweiz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%FCdingen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartburg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyburg,_Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Querfurt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus_Dessau
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%FCbeck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travem%FCnde
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacken_Open_Air
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankt_Peter-Ording
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedeby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flensburg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalkriese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paderborn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wewelsburg
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeche_Zollern
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%FCsseldorf
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%F6ln
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koblenz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorelei
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingen_am_Rhein
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms,_Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempten

We had to leave out a lot since vacation time is limited, but thank you for all your suggestions - I'll be sure to see some of them at a later time.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Default Settings posted:

Just in case anybody wonders, this is the route we finally decided on ...
Very nice! Do you have a timetable for your trip already?

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

PISSmaster

I have an odd request.

Could someone tell me the the Zutaten in Bayer Aspirin? I want to know if it's the same as over here in the states, because the German stuff seems to be much better than any American Aspirin... I just don't know why or if there's any difference.

Unagi fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 30, 2010

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Actually, there should not be that much of a difference, as Aspirin is a drug containing only one pharmacologically active ingredient, acetylsalicylic acid. Bayer claims bragging rights because they developed a way to produce pure ASA on an industrial level.
Not saying there's no difference at all; I dimly recall that aspirin is not a registered trademark in the US.

By the way, if you spent most of your time in the Universitätsstraße, I take it you did not have to be around those soul-crushing towers that are home to English students and the like. Lucky you. I'm wondering - did you expect German universities to be so.. desolate (is it much worse than in the US, not considering Ivy League for a moment)?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Unagi posted:

I have an odd request.

Could someone tell me the the Zutaten in Bayer Aspirin? I want to know if it's the same as over here in the states, because the German stuff seems to be much better than any American Aspirin... I just don't know why or if there's any difference.

Aspirin only has one active ingredient but comes in different doses. Maybe American Aspirin (or the brand you usually buy) isn't as highly concentrated as the Bayer one's you bought here. Last year I bought some in Spain that were basically 1/5 of the dosis of the one's I buy at the local pharmacy here. Taking 5 of them at a time solved the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Arwarker posted:

By the way, if you spent most of your time in the Universitätsstraße, I take it you did not have to be around those soul-crushing towers that are home to English students and the like. Lucky you. I'm wondering - did you expect German universities to be so.. desolate (is it much worse than in the US, not considering Ivy League for a moment)?

I wasn't in Marburg, but I really missed the "campus" feel when I studied in Germany. That's something that's just uniquely American. You eat on campus, you go to class, your sports fields are on campus, and you live on campus. There's always something going on all the time.

The German university system has some great advantages, like autonomy, independence, and less busy work, but the American university system is just awesome. I think everyone should study abroad in the US, no matter what country you're from. It's a shitshow.