Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Gvaz I think you've already heard Birchville Cat Motel and Black Boned Angel but listen to them if you haven't I guess. I find Robedoor sort of boring but you might get a kick out them, who knows, who knows.

Oh and the 6xLP set Fear Falls Burning did with in collaboration with several other artists has some sweet 20+ minute songs on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreyLondon
Jul 4, 2010
I'm trying to get into Opera - I've always been interested in the genre since I was very young, but I now want to start listening to some of it seriously (as seriously as you can listen to any other kind of music).

The only one I've truly listened to was Carmen by Georges Bizet, and I have to say I truly enjoyed it.

Could any opera loving goon here help me out as to where to start?

Yellow Rhymer
Jun 17, 2003
I'm looking for some soothing acoustic guitar pieces. I can't think of anything specific to mention, but I just want something relaxing to play in the background while working or reading. I don't know where to start searching though.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yellow Rhymer posted:

I'm looking for some soothing acoustic guitar pieces. I can't think of anything specific to mention, but I just want something relaxing to play in the background while working or reading. I don't know where to start searching though.

Your request is a little broad, but give John Fahey a listen for one direction in acoustic instrumental guitar. You can find a lot of his stuff on Grooveshark.

He's got a large discography and I've got the following two albums I can recommend:

Death Chants, Breakdowns, and Military Waltzes
The Great San Bernadino Birthday Party

Both are perfect as background music and won't distract from tasks.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 6, 2010

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

drainpipe posted:

Haven't listened to many Skywave stuff (yet), so I'm terribly familiar with them.

I'd suggest their second (and last) album Synthstatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmN73LaqNtc

Braincrash posted:

Right now I'm liking alot of Shoegaze/Ambient/Noise/Punk, kinda like No Age, My Bloody Valentine, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Deerhunter

I like shoegaze but I get a bit sick of the dream poppy variety, can anyone recommend something a bit more aggressive and noisy?

Space rock is another genre with some shoegaze/noise pop overlap. For example:

Loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfMKaOySCD4

Spacemen 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx6TnpXFlbU

Hum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvq4LdngkD4

Although not all spacerock is similar to shoegaze, since it also encompasses bands like Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Flaming Lips, etc. so look for bands contemporary with, or influenced by shoegaze.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Anyone know what Mark McGuire releases I should check out first? I love Emeralds but I'm not too familiar with his works.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

slowdave posted:

Anyone know what Mark McGuire releases I should check out first? I love Emeralds but I'm not too familiar with his works.

I've listened to a little less than half of what he has to offer, but I started with Pocket Full of Rain and it served me well. Also the Days of Thunder album he did w/ Skyramp

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I like The Strokes, Pete and the Pirates, Johnny Foreigner, Los Campesinos!, The Joy Formidable, Wolf Parade, Best Coast, the White Stripes, Tokyo Police Club and MGMT. Any recommendations on what else I might like?

e. I've been to Pitchfork but found it a little too pop and electronic oriented for me.

Tshirt Ninja fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 9, 2010

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Can anyone recommend some contemporary classical composers similar in style to Clint Mansell and Abel Korzeniowski in their scores for The Fountain and A Single Man?

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmfvq6x_ac

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

GreyLondon posted:

I'm trying to get into Opera - I've always been interested in the genre since I was very young, but I now want to start listening to some of it seriously (as seriously as you can listen to any other kind of music).

The only one I've truly listened to was Carmen by Georges Bizet, and I have to say I truly enjoyed it.

Could any opera loving goon here help me out as to where to start?

I would strongly suggest watching them performed at least once. The NY Met often broadcasts shows to cinemas, they're well worth the $20 ticket to see the music in its original setting.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Can anyone recommend some contemporary classical composers similar in style to Clint Mansell and Abel Korzeniowski in their scores for The Fountain and A Single Man?

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpmfvq6x_ac

SOundtracks are likely where you are going to find modern 'classical' music.

Moon and Sunshine are both pretty wonderful, but they use electronic instrumentation as well. I assume you have delved into Clint Mansell's other works, and looked into E.S. Posthumous as well?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Iraff posted:

I've listened to a little less than half of what he has to offer, but I started with Pocket Full of Rain and it served me well. Also the Days of Thunder album he did w/ Skyramp

You're the man :cool:

Yellow Rhymer
Jun 17, 2003

Chinaski posted:

Your request is a little broad, but give John Fahey a listen for one direction in acoustic instrumental guitar. You can find a lot of his stuff on Grooveshark.

He's got a large discography and I've got the following two albums I can recommend:

Death Chants, Breakdowns, and Military Waltzes
The Great San Bernadino Birthday Party

Both are perfect as background music and won't distract from tasks.

Thanks. Some of his tracks are pretty much what I had in mind.
I know it was very broad, but I was looking for guitar ambience and didn't know where to start. Any more suggestions in that vein?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

The sadly deceased Jack Rose might be up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53yI_rcjY3Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drsJq_p0yU

GreyLondon
Jul 4, 2010

Atma McCuddles posted:

I would strongly suggest watching them performed at least once. The NY Met often broadcasts shows to cinemas, they're well worth the $20 ticket to see the music in its original setting.
Holy hell there's a showing in two weeks at the theatre that's literally down the street from where I live, and it's Carmen at that! Thanks very much for telling about the NY Met, I now have something to actually look forward to.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I don't know if this may be up your aisle, but youtube the first track to the soundtrack of The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus - it reminds me of that track you linked to. And definitely look into Abel Korzeniowski's soundtrack for An Angel in Cracow if you haven't already.

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

Pyramid Head posted:

Lately I've been enjoying hardcore punk bands Flipper and Reagan Youth. I've heard a lot of the popular bands in this genre, but these were the only two that I really enjoyed. Can anyone recommend bands similar to them, preferably on the more obscure side of the hardcore punk spectrum?
This may be a little late, but try No Trend.

Louis Riel
Aug 25, 2009
These guys omg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqn2QMD3ZSE/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Louis Riel posted:

These guys omg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqn2QMD3ZSE/

That was really cool , and then the saxophone came out. Saxophones and violins hurt my ears.

Interesting picture for them on Wikipedia for 'jazz collective' though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_(Norwegian_band)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 12, 2010

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

kapalama posted:

Interesting picture for them on Wikipedia for 'jazz collective' though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_(Norwegian_band)

that's awesome...i thought they were wearing gas masks or something at first, until I looked at a bigger version

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Can anyone help me find some more noisy music like Jesus Lizard and The Flaming Lips from their earlier albums - or harsh punk music like The Cockney Rejects and The Exploited? I'm trying to build up a nice music list for running, so anything that really gets the adrenaline pumping is perfect. The biggest problem I encounter when finding matches for this is that the music will often be what I'm after, but then the singer will come in either shrieking or growling and ruin it. I'm okay with the general punkish screaming though.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Can anyone help me find some more noisy music like Jesus Lizard and The Flaming Lips from their earlier albums - or harsh punk music like The Cockney Rejects and The Exploited? I'm trying to build up a nice music list for running, so anything that really gets the adrenaline pumping is perfect. The biggest problem I encounter when finding matches for this is that the music will often be what I'm after, but then the singer will come in either shrieking or growling and ruin it. I'm okay with the general punkish screaming though.

For more Oi that sounds like The Cockney Rejects check out The 4-skins, Cock Sparrer, Blitz, The Angelic Upstarts, The Oppressed, Menace, and The Blood.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Here's a short list of bands similar to the Jesus Lizard to get you started. http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Pigfuck/

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Can anyone help me find some more noisy music like Jesus Lizard...
Shellac
Big Black
Rapeman
Scratch Acid
Part Chimp
Six Finger Satellite
U.S. Maple
Zeni Geva

EDIT: Also, Young Widows, Kittens, and Big'n.

qrj fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 12, 2010

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

slowdave posted:

Gvaz I think you've already heard Birchville Cat Motel and Black Boned Angel but listen to them if you haven't I guess. I find Robedoor sort of boring but you might get a kick out them, who knows, who knows.

Oh and the 6xLP set Fear Falls Burning did with in collaboration with several other artists has some sweet 20+ minute songs on it

The only one's I've heard with Birchville Cat Motel and Black Boned Angel, is BBA's song with Nadja (Christ Send Light), and Fear Falls Burning vs Birchville Cat Motel. Coulda swore I had a cd or something of theirs though...

Also a Pyramids cover of Birchville Cat Motel's "Ghost". I'll look into those along with Robedoor, thanks man.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm looking for some classical recommendations of stuff similar to Prokofiev's darker stuff (Op. 64ter #1 "The Dance of Knights" in particular). Hell, darker classical pieces in general.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
So if I like Red House Painters and Low, what else should I take a listen to? I've tried a handful of other 'slowcore' bands, but nothing really amazes me like those two. I guess Galaxie 500 is pretty awesome too.

FetusOvaries fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 12, 2010

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I ran across a band called Indukti while listening to Last.fm (here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbrU2aJwplE).

The issue is, what kind of music is this? Are there more bands like this? Finally, is there a thread in NMD dedicated to this kind of music?

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

FetusOvaries posted:

So if I like Red House Painters and Low, what else should I take a listen to? I've tried a handful of other 'slowcore' bands, but nothing really amazes me like those two. I guess Galaxie 500 is pretty awesome too.
Maybe Gregor Samsa.

http://www.myspace.com/gregorsamsamyspace

qrj fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 13, 2010

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain

qrj posted:

Maybe Gregor Samsa.

http://www.myspace.com/gregorsamsamyspace

Sounds pretty good man

qrj
Jun 9, 2010

FetusOvaries posted:

Sounds pretty good man
Cool.

If you like the shoegazey kind of stuff like My Bloody Valentine, give Bailter Space a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hILcVdTrVQ

If you like them, get Robot World or Tanker

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Zorak posted:

I'm looking for some classical recommendations of stuff similar to Prokofiev's darker stuff (Op. 64ter #1 "The Dance of Knights" in particular). Hell, darker classical pieces in general.

I already told you this but you're apparently deaf. Clint Mansell, while not technically classical, does movie scores (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Moon) that are pretty good.

Béla Bartók is probably up your alley as well, he's not quite as epic as Mansell but definitely dark and chilling. He's also famous for being a folk composer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNwdGqjQuw

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

FetusOvaries posted:

Sun Kil Moon?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

trans fat posted:

I already told you this but you're apparently deaf. Clint Mansell, while not technically classical, does movie scores (Requiem for a Dream, The Fountain, Moon) that are pretty good.

Béla Bartók is probably up your alley as well, he's not quite as epic as Mansell but definitely dark and chilling. He's also famous for being a folk composer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNwdGqjQuw

Clint Mansell sounds nothing like Prokofiev.

Little Treasure
Jan 28, 2010
I like Aphex Twin. I like his album drukQs, especially his piano pieces:
Jynweythek Ylow
Nanou 2
Avril 14
Kesson Daslef

Some of the above songs were with Dustin O'Halloran's on the Marie Antoinette soundtrack. He is mighty fine also, so take that into consideration.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Zorak posted:

I'm sure you've heard The Planets by Holst but Mars, the Bringer of War is an epic classic.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Zorak posted:

I'm not the best person to answer, but do you want something that has the bombast of that piece (Wagner, maybe some Mendelssohn), or things that are 'darker' thematically (for example, Rachmaminoff's Isle of the Dead)?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Zorak posted:

I don't think "dark" is by any means the right descriptor here... But along those lines, maybe Ravel's "Daphnis et Chloe", Stravinsky's "Le Sacre du Printemps", Roussel's "Bacchus et Ariane" (ok this might be too summery but idk), Dukas' "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (yeah Prokofiev screams cartoon soundtrack to me), Khachaturian's "Spartacus". Off the top of my head. If you want seriously dark, try Silvestrov's "Requiem for Larissa" or Norgĺrd's 6th symphony.

funkcroquet is probably gonna put me to my place if he reads this, I just dabble.

cheap sunglasses
Mar 22, 2002

by Ozma

Zorak posted:

Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 8 maybe?

Arvo Pärt is more dissonant than dark but lots of his liturgical works are very dramatic. Te Deum, Da Pacem Domine, Orient & Occident.

Little Treasure posted:

I like Aphex Twin. I like his album drukQs, especially his piano pieces:
Jynweythek Ylow
Nanou 2
Avril 14
Kesson Daslef

Some of the above songs were with Dustin O'Halloran's on the Marie Antoinette soundtrack. He is mighty fine also, so take that into consideration.

That's my favorite record of his by far. The tracks like Jynweythek Ylow were sampled from a prepared piano as per John Cage. The regular piano tracks sound like he was listening to a bunch of Erik Satie.

cheap sunglasses fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 13, 2010

Little Treasure
Jan 28, 2010

cheap sunglasses posted:

That's my favorite record of his by far. The tracks like Jynweythek Ylow were sampled from a prepared piano as per John Cage. The regular piano tracks sound like he was listening to a bunch of Erik Satie.

It's my favorite also. It's funny you mention Erik Satie; I have a CD of someone playing his work on the classical guitar. I haven't gotten into it, but I'm not saying it isn't bad.
I'm checking out Trois Gymnopédies right now and it is very beautiful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I've gotten into rap fairly recently. My first foray was MF Doom, whom I liked a lot, and I'm just starting to listen to the Wu-Tang albums. So far I've liked what I've heard from the first two albums of theirs. I also liked Method Man's Tical a whole lot.

Some other artists I've stumbled into and liked are A Tribe Called Quest, Saul Williams (other than most of Niggy Tardust), People Under the Stairs, One Be Lo, Cannibal Ox and the Pharcyde.

Do you guys know of anything I might like?

In addition, what are some core rap albums that self-proclaimed rap fans should sit down and listen to? I don't really know what I'm missing out on as far as classics go.