Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

spf3million posted:

Yeah, W501. I don't think there's an option for traditional HD+SSD, I'll check though. Lenovo's are pretty easy to modify as far as I know. Can you get SSDs for express card slots?

It looks like you can, but they seem pretty small and I didn't see any speed benchmarks. BTW, Lenovo's site quotes $1500 extra to jump up to 16gb of RAM which seems ridiculous to me. I'd look into either going with 8gb or going with the base 2gb and upgrading yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't ever buy first party extra ram for consumer machines, christ.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It looks like you can, but they seem pretty small and I didn't see any speed benchmarks. BTW, Lenovo's site quotes $1500 extra to jump up to 16gb of RAM which seems ridiculous to me. I'd look into either going with 8gb or going with the base 2gb and upgrading yourself.
When I spec'ed out a Mac Pro at work a few years ago, going from 2GB to 16 was around $7000. Looks like it's come down since then, but upgrading an 8 core Mac Pro to 32GB is still $3700.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't ever buy first party extra ram for consumer machines, christ.

This. Go to dealram.com and save literally thousands of dollars.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Can anyone tell me the difference between PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory and PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory? PC3-10600, 1333MHz is the more expensive option on Lenovo's website (so it must be better :confused:). It doesn't appear to be available on dealram.com but I can find it on newegg. Is 10600 (10666??) vs 8500 / 1333MHz vs 1067MHz the equivalent of pixel peeping for memory or would I see a difference?

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
Go for the faster speed, and make sure your third party ram matches your first party ram on all specs. Don't mix and match speeds.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If I go for the full 16gb, I'd just get the cheapest option (2gb, 1 DIMM) and buy 4 sticks of 4gb since the w510 has 4 slots. Looks like I can get 4x4 on Newegg for either $500 from G.SKILL or $640 from Corsair. I've upgraded RAM before, the physical install is easy. But I've never replaced it all before. Can I just take out the old one and pop in the new ones and start her up?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Hey, don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm looking to create some background elements for some shots I did. Trying to make something like this
sans the dots. That's done in After Effects using a series of dots (particles) and a vector blur. However Photoshop doesn't have a vector blur filter.

I could possibly create the element in AE export it as a .STILLIMAGEFORMAT and then take it into PS but that's a-lot of work for something I'm sure PS could do internally.
Any help would be great.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spf3million posted:

I've upgraded RAM before, the physical install is easy. But I've never replaced it all before. Can I just take out the old one and pop in the new ones and start her up?
Ya. There's a latch that keeps them from popping off, so don't force on anything. Depending on the slots' physical arrangement you may need to insert the modules in a specific order.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

spf3million posted:

Can anyone tell me the difference between PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory and PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory? PC3-10600, 1333MHz is the more expensive option on Lenovo's website (so it must be better :confused:). It doesn't appear to be available on dealram.com but I can find it on newegg. Is 10600 (10666??) vs 8500 / 1333MHz vs 1067MHz the equivalent of pixel peeping for memory or would I see a difference?

First check what type of RAM your board requires. If your board is designed for 1067Mhz and you get the 1333MHz you have just paid extra money for performance that won't get used. If multiple speeds are supported I'd still consider getting the cheaper one, since RAM speed really only has a minor impact compared to RAM size, CPU speed, and HDD speed.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I really need to learn how to make people look better

How would I go about reducing the wrinkles/removing that vein without making it look too unnatural? My feeble attempts at using the clone/heal tool failed miserably :(

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

psylent posted:

I really need to learn how to make people look better

How would I go about reducing the wrinkles/removing that vein without making it look too unnatural? My feeble attempts at using the clone/heal tool failed miserably :(

I would look into investing in a couple of retouching dvd's, I'm on a different computer so I cant say which ones I have at home (will in a couple of hours) but they are so valuable to learning this stuff, books are great but the dvd's let you see specific work flows of the retoucher.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yep, definitely let me know what they're called. This is stuff I need to learn, I'm fine with adjusting colours etc, but when it comes to proper retouching I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Others will probably be able to recommend some good stuff aswell, but I really learnt alot from Chris Orwigs Retouching Fashion photography series, its great especially for showing you how to work your way through an image, building on your prior changes, starting small and working your way up.

I haven't watched them all but Scott Kelby's stuff is ok for the basics, but I cant vouch for there overall quality, but still alot of good techniques.

Hate to say it but I got these :filez: but I would definitely pay for the Chris Orwig stuff.

I'm still only getting into the more advanced retouching myself so if anyone has any good recommendations i would love to hear them.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'm just starting to watch some pro peoples videos about retouching and such, my first one was this:
http://www.zarias.com/workflow-photo-mechanic-to-lightroom-to-photoshop-to-delivery/

He goes over some of his workflow, but there isn't really anything too major done in here. I picked up few things, though-- Looking forward to other people posting good places to get videos.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
There is an interesting .psd at the bottom of this link that you can pick over. Switch the blending mode of the various layers and click them on and off to see what's going on.

Edit- Oh yeah the link

http://photodevotion.com/2009/07/amy-dresser-retouching/

ass is my canvas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 6, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

I'm just starting to watch some pro peoples videos about retouching and such, my first one was this:
http://www.zarias.com/workflow-photo-mechanic-to-lightroom-to-photoshop-to-delivery/

He goes over some of his workflow, but there isn't really anything too major done in here. I picked up few things, though-- Looking forward to other people posting good places to get videos.

I really like the idea of going through your shots before you import them into Lightroom. My LR is full of crap that I don't really care about because disk space is cheap, but I think I would be happier if I separated my workflow into something like he has -- a raw shots directory, an edits directory, and then my exports would go wherever.

I might try to adopt something like that.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I already did something similar to that, mostly marking anything that was trash as rejected and deleting it, but photo mechanic looks so much better. It's so expensive though :(

I also really like how he uses contrast+black slider in LR to make his subject pop, and holding down alt/ctrl/whatever it is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff that you read about and think "holy poo poo this is so useful", but because you do so little post production you completely forget about it a day later :(

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

If you have the computer you do your editing on in a specific area write all this stuff down on post it notes and stick them to the wall right in front of you for a few weeks, I have all my photoshop shortcuts, retouching things to remember etc right on my eyeline, big help.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Does anyone know why Lightroom makes changes to a raw file settings when I import them?

For example, here's two files. The first is the .cr2 file resized in Irfan View.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

The second one is what it looked like after I imported it into Lightroom.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

I was pretty bummed out until I realized that Lightroom simply jacked up the exposure +2.40, along with a few other tweaks.

Did I change a setting that makes changes to the images on import?

Edit: I think I found it. Preferences --> Presets --> Apply Auto Tone Adjustments

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 6, 2010

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Shmoogy posted:

I already did something similar to that, mostly marking anything that was trash as rejected and deleting it, but photo mechanic looks so much better. It's so expensive though :(

I also really like how he uses contrast+black slider in LR to make his subject pop, and holding down alt/ctrl/whatever it is.

Just make a calculation of how much time PM might save you, figure out what your time is worth, and it will seem like a bargain.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

TsarAleksi posted:

Just make a calculation of how much time PM might save you, figure out what your time is worth, and it will seem like a bargain.

I did a calculation last night, and bought an SSD somebody was selling in the SA mart. If I still feel that Lightroom is ridiculously slow, I'll pick up PM to sort through photos.

e:^^ Lr auto adjusts my images slightly, but it never bumps things to a ridiculous nature like in that example.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I messed around with it a bit more, too much? I don't want to turn anyone into a real doll.

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 6, 2010

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

psylent posted:

I messed around with it a bit more, too much? I don't want to turn anyone into a real doll.

No, this is much better.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
A lot better, but I would whiten her teeth just a little bit, and maybe dodge the eyes to make the iris pop. (I tend to do those on most of my portrait shots though)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's a shame that the vein on her forehead really creates such a drastic boundary between light and dark, makes it pretty hard to clone out or blend :(

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Martytoof posted:

It's a shame that the vein on her forehead really creates such a drastic boundary between light and dark, makes it pretty hard to clone out or blend :(

Confucius say: Dodge and burn your way to that winning smile.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Magic has been preformed. Magic.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I've just started getting in to D&B retouching. It takes time. Lots and lots and lots of time, but the results are amazing.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
rear end is my canvas, teach me your ways.

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

squidflakes posted:

I've just started getting in to D&B retouching. It takes time. Lots and lots and lots of time, but the results are amazing.

nooooo, (I mean it is the best for skin retouching no doubt). Skin retouching is all shapes (+ shadows), you can dodge and burn (2% is nice) zoomed out quite a bit and still get results (unless you are doing a beauty ad or headshot whatnot). Color cloning, simple cloning at like 20% (textured brushes are nice), and light healing.

The vein I'd color stamp first to get that annoying blue out, then dodge/burn it zoomed out, same with the shape above her eyebrow though I would not totally remove it (or the vein area), you want to blend shapes not totally remove them.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Do you want the .psd? Do you know how to use adjustment layers and mask?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

In installed the Lightroom 3 demo and am messing around with post-processing for the first time ever. All my other shots are just straight from the camera.

These are some before & afters...

...uh, that city hall picture didn't export correctly at all.

The rest of the images I've tried processing on are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markosaar/sets/72157624322526675/

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

teethgrinder posted:

In installed the Lightroom 3 demo and am messing around with post-processing for the first time ever. All my other shots are just straight from the camera.

These are some before & afters...

...uh, that city hall picture didn't export correctly at all.

The rest of the images I've tried processing on are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markosaar/sets/72157624322526675/

For the one with the lightning and the city, I'd run a -20% or so saturation brush over some of the buildings. With a shot like this, it's good to have a dramatic contrast between the sky and foreground with the intensity of their color.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I've been reprocessing some old photos, trying new things.

Do these look completely overdone? I've been staring out them for far too long. What other directions should/could I be taking?

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

dakana posted:

Do these look completely overdone? I've been staring out them for far too long. What other directions should/could I be taking?

No, they don't look overprocessed at all, they look really nice.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

dakana posted:

These all look excellent except I think the first one could afford to lose a half stop of brightness, it's pushing the boundaries of zone IX.

Trinitrotoluene
Dec 25, 2004

Does anyone have any suggestions for a program that can rapidly sort out photos? What I'd like to do is browse through them all manually and flag certain ones (the good ones) without having to manually move them away from the folder as I am doing now. I am currently using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer so I am assuming there is something better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Trinitrotoluene posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a program that can rapidly sort out photos? What I'd like to do is browse through them all manually and flag certain ones (the good ones) without having to manually move them away from the folder as I am doing now. I am currently using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer so I am assuming there is something better.

You need Photo Mechanic and I can honestly not recommend it enough. We used it at the newspaper I worked for and I had to go out and buy it for my own use. You can sort, tag, color code, manage your folders, view raw files, caption, edit file info, it's basically an organizers dream. The feature I couldn't live without is the automated file naming.

• Locked thread