Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Pulled the cluster to do some spider eviction, contact cleaning and bulb replacement. I was a bit confused as to whether I'd replaced these bulbs before, but no longer. I would have remembered dismantling THE ENTIRE UNIT to perform the task. Had some internal housing breakage due the PO hitting pavement with it. Used some 3M plastic emblem and trim adhesive to get it back together well enough to stay stable and light-tight.

Bulbs were fused to the connectors, connectors were fused to the housings. Tremendous pain to get to the stage below, but Eiko Eiko to the rescue. 194s are replacements for the stock Stanley 158s.

Borrowed from my turntable restoration bag o' tricks to spiff up the housing. Couple passes with aluminum polish in this case. You just want to cut the haze and get the material to pop naturally--no comparison between doing it right and dipping it in a gallon of Armor-All:

War of the Worlds:

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Sort of.

Let there be rock. Still no love from the fuel gauge, so the issue has to be at the sensor vs the meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Valve cover on the was leaking oil so I replaced the gaskets and o rings, hopefully fixing the leak.

I'm getting pretty good at removing and replacing the gas tank at this point

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Road it to Tennessee and back. I took backroads going up, but slabbed it on the way back. Tennessee may be in the running with California for best bike roads in the USA.

Fun Fact: A Ninja 250 can indeed keep up with traffic on the interstate; you'll just be at, or very close to, wide open throttle the entire time.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I reclaimed my front axle from the garage and tried to install it. Found my friend had borrowed the copper slip and from the way the back axle was seized on last time, there's no way I'm installing it without. Instead I filled her up with oil after giving up getting the filter off as a bad job and installed new indicators on the front.

Then tried replacing the dodgy left indicator on the back with the old working one from the front. In the time between removing it from the front and and installing it on the back, it doesn't work. I know the relays and circuiting works because connecting up the rear right indicator to the left hand circuit works. Argh, new indicators all round before the MOT then.

I hate not being able to do stuff, but somethings are easier to just get done by the friendly garage. List is up to oil filter replacement, shift linkage removal and sprocket cover installation. Then to see what it fails the MOT on.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

Pulled the cluster to do some spider eviction, contact cleaning and bulb replacement. I was a bit confused as to whether I'd replaced these bulbs before, but no longer. I would have remembered dismantling THE ENTIRE UNIT to perform the task.

The tach light on my Nighthawk was burned out when I got it, and stayed that way until I sold it. Screw that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Pulled the cluster to do some spider eviction, contact cleaning and bulb replacement. I was a bit confused as to whether I'd replaced these bulbs before, but no longer. I would have remembered dismantling THE ENTIRE UNIT to perform the task. Had some internal housing breakage due the PO hitting pavement with it. Used some 3M plastic emblem and trim adhesive to get it back together well enough to stay stable and light-tight.

Bulbs were fused to the connectors, connectors were fused to the housings. Tremendous pain to get to the stage below, but Eiko Eiko to the rescue. 194s are replacements for the stock Stanley 158s.

Borrowed from my turntable restoration bag o' tricks to spiff up the housing. Couple passes with aluminum polish in this case. You just want to cut the haze and get the material to pop naturally--no comparison between doing it right and dipping it in a gallon of Armor-All:
drat, that looks great! I've been thinking about replacing the rather dim bulbs in my cluster, but there's more important things to be done.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Bucephalus posted:

The tach light on my Nighthawk was burned out when I got it, and stayed that way until I sold it. Screw that.

Probably would have lived with that too, but all four gauge face bulbs were inop and there was nothing left but signal and idiot lights. There are 10 total. I also needed to get at the fuel gauge contacts.

Chris Knight posted:

drat, that looks great! I've been thinking about replacing the rather dim bulbs in my cluster, but there's more important things to be done.

Thanks--if yours are all functional, I agree, move along. I had nothing but two black holes, and it's nice to have some feedback out there at night. Even if it's primitive and off by 10% :)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
New stator and R/R installed on the LS650 Savage, bike fires right up and holds a steady 13.7v now. $500 + $200 in parts and about 2 hours of work. I practically stole this bike.

I took it out for about 45 minutes after buttoning everything up... man, what a fun little bike. Very easy to ride, hauls my big rear end down the road at 70mph without complaint and doesn't make a shitload of noise while doing it. I still need to adjust the shift linkage, change the spark plug, replace the air filter and change the oil, but I'm lazy and wanted to ride it tonight.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

frozenphil posted:

Road it to Tennessee and back. I took backroads going up, but slabbed it on the way back. Tennessee may be in the running with California for best bike roads in the USA.

Fun Fact: A Ninja 250 can indeed keep up with traffic on the interstate; you'll just be at, or very close to, wide open throttle the entire time.

I've said it before - the roads in TN were made by a biker, for a biker.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Doublepost from the KiLleR 650 thread. I built a bag rack/heat shield

2mm thick aluminum plates, seems solid as hell and isn't too intrusive without bags on, invisible under the bag, keeps it way off the muffler. The mounting on the heat shield is kind of ghetto, cause one of the screws is hosed, but it should hold...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

niethan posted:

2mm thick aluminum plates, seems solid as hell and isn't too intrusive without bags on, invisible under the bag, keeps it way off the muffler. The mounting on the heat shield is kind of ghetto, cause one of the screws is hosed, but it should hold...

Sweet--take that baby to market. Timely reminder that I need to post thumbnails when I have a series...

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I posted a new sign in my garage today. It says "Next time you need tires, don't try to put them on yourself. Bring it to the shop. No it will not be easier next time."

...That sign was made after 6 hours of attempting to get it done, bringing them to the shop, and paying them $35 to do it in about 20 minutes.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Dracon Wolf posted:

I posted a new sign in my garage today. It says "Next time you need tires, don't try to put them on yourself. Bring it to the shop. No it will not be easier next time."

...That sign was made after 6 hours of attempting to get it done, bringing them to the shop, and paying them $35 to do it in about 20 minutes.

I changed tires myself one time. I will never do that again.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

I would happily eat from those and the meal would be all the better for it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Marv Hushman posted:

Sweet--take that baby to market. Timely reminder that I need to post thumbnails when I have a series...

Nah, as long as they aren't 2490x1900 or something, posting the full images is fine. Personally I prefer it, since I don't have to click on every image to see more detail. Nobody's on dial up anymore, so who cares.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Scrapez posted:

I changed tires myself one time. I will never do that again.

Last summer, my first tire change took about 3 hours of sweat and deadblow hammering on my 1982 Suzuki GS550.

This summer I bought a monster 750, and did it all under an hour, not counting tool set up and whatnot in my parking lot.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

UserNotFound posted:

Last summer, my first tire change took about 3 hours of sweat and deadblow hammering on my 1982 Suzuki GS550.

This summer I bought a monster 750, and did it all under an hour, not counting tool set up and whatnot in my parking lot.

What type of tools were you using? I was just using paddles. It probably didn't help that I was putting them onto spoked wheels with tubes.

Thank god I switched out the laced wheels so I could go tubeless.

I'm sure I could do it easier the second time but it's one of those things to me where it's worth it to have it done at a shop. Just pull the wheels and they can change them out in 10 minutes.

I must admit, though, it's nice to be able to say you do ALL maintenance on your bike.

Frost
Dec 6, 2003
Don't let the Frost bite you
Today I pulled the carb out of my bike and cleaned every part thoroughly. Tomorrow we'll see if that's gonna solve the issue of it dying when I put on more than half throttle. Something's fishy in twostroke land, but it was to be expected after I made one carb out of 3 different ones :(

Plan B will be to shell out a hundred bucks for a loving awesome Bing carb, which will happen at some point anyway.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Go/no-go tested my new bags, preparing a bit for my 1300+ miles trip to Norway next week. It would have been a good idea to test pack everything today as well, but I wasn't that smart...

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
1) Cruised Woodward Ave; basked in the warm green glow of being able to change a light bulb.

2) Dusted off the Sportster and assassinated traffic. The transition back is probably worthy of a separate post.

3) Added 4.x quarts of Castor Oil to the Honda, and a teaspoon each of ipecac and Anacanapanasan. Process was remarkably spill-free and devoid of f-bombs, thanks to the center stand.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Finally cleaned up and polished the slip on Vance and Hines exhaust that came with my R6. I wanted to install it but I couldn't figure out how to get the stock exhaust off. :smith:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Localized a strangle rattle/clacking to the valves/cams. Time to find some feeler guages and watch my "Desmodromic Maintenance" DVD on repeat while I look for my collection of shims and gaskets.

Yes, I know Ducati's make strange noises, but this isn't a usual sound / volume for the sound of the valves.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I changed the front tire on my 690SMC. It now has Diablo Corsa's front and rear. While I changed the tire I left my KTM out all alone in the hot sun. Unsurprisingly it got tired and decided to take a nap.

Damage:
Bent rear brake lever (fixed with pliers)
Bent right foot peg
Small scrape on rear plastic

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
http://sadtrombone.com/

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Zool posted:

I changed the front tire on my 690SMC. It now has Diablo Corsa's front and rear. While I changed the tire I left my KTM out all alone in the hot sun. Unsurprisingly it got tired and decided to take a nap.

Based on the DoD sticker, I'd say it's facing a minimum charge of dereliction of duty/sleeping on post. Glad the damage was minimal.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Zool posted:

Damage:
Bent rear brake lever (fixed with pliers)
Bent right foot peg
Small scrape on rear plastic

Who's the guy aroused by fallen motorbikes?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

PadreScout posted:

Who's the guy aroused by fallen motorbikes?

He's a sick sick man.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That's just chillin' at rest. If the duc had fallen off the stand though....

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
about creating my robot whores, tia Science
:roboluv:
I've ZERO mechanical aptitude...local Triumph dealer quoted me 150 bucks for an oil change, and 90 bucks for a coolant flush. gently caress that, says I. So I take my first trek into the wrenching world.

Several hours, and countless curse words later, the bike looked like this.

Oil change was a breeze as everyone told me to expect. The coolant flush was a different monster. Required removing both fairings, a couple bolts on the engine block, and several buckets and newspapers to clean up the terrific mess the bike made when it peed out all the liquid.

Tomorrow a new set of rear brake pads show up. I'm going to give that project a try, and pray for the best. If I get stumped well...Z3n you'll probably be hearing from me, buddy :pwn:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
New front tire to match the rear I did last Friday, and switched to full synthetic. Valve noise gone.

Silly thing, had to pull the brake pads to get the caliper off the disk, the rim gets in the way any other way you try. At least I didn't have to pull the rotor off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Frothy, no worries, just give me a call if you have any questions :)

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

Frothy, no worries, just give me a call if you have any questions :)

Wait, when did Frowthy get a Tiger, and what happened to the BMW?

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
about creating my robot whores, tia Science
:roboluv:

OrangeFurious posted:

Wait, when did Frowthy get a Tiger, and what happened to the BMW?

Bit of a long story dude. Z3n knows the gist of it, but the Beemer and the Weestrom are both gone. You have an instant message from me ;)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ola posted:

Today I did absolutely nothing to my ride. But I am more than half way through my 3 month suspension (license suspension that is, not an Öhlins graduate course). At least the weather has been quite crap and when it hasn't been crap I've been hiking in the mountains and getting in better shape.

:emo:
I must have missed it (I assume you've posted about it), but what happened to cause your license suspension?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I made sure it didn't fall over when parked on asphalt :haw:

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Did some investigation and preliminary measurements to prepare for a valve adjustment tomorrow. This should be 0.000" to 0.002", depending on who you talk to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I rode it 240 miles to look at a different bike that was picked up this morning :(.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

UserNotFound posted:

Did some investigation and preliminary measurements to prepare for a valve adjustment tomorrow. This should be 0.000" to 0.002", depending on who you talk to.

It's easier if you push down on the closing rocker, then measure the top shim gap again. Take that number, subtract the opening shim gap, and that number's your closing gap. Gaps on the 2-valve Duc's are Opener - .05-.12 mm and Closer - .03-.20 mm for the intake, then Opener - .05-.15mm and Closer - .03-.20mm for exhaust. These are for the regular service gap checks, if you're replacing the shims, the clearances are a little different.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Slim Pickens posted:

It's easier if you push down on the closing rocker, then measure the top shim gap again. Take that number, subtract the opening shim gap, and that number's your closing gap. Gaps on the 2-valve Duc's are Opener - .05-.12 mm and Closer - .03-.20 mm for the intake, then Opener - .05-.15mm and Closer - .03-.20mm for exhaust. These are for the regular service gap checks, if you're replacing the shims, the clearances are a little different.

This was the double check, I also did the math measuring between the opening shim before and while depressing the closing rocker, came out the same. Hard to depict that in the picture :D

Numbers I have for adjustment goals are 0.004" for the openers, and near 0.001" (tight but room to spin) for the closers. Opinions seem to differ, though... but I got the $330 shim kit included when I bought the bike, so I should be good for making adjustments tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
Got my first bike in March. Have been working on it since then and finished yesterday.

The bike sat for over 5 years so the following is what I've done so far.

Avon Road Rider Tires.
Oil Change.
New Vacuum and Fuel Lines. New Fuel Filter.
Removed Upper Half Fairing.
Installed GSX Headlight.
Plastics and Tank painted Gloss Black.
Street fighter Renthal Bars & Ends.

Before:

After:

Stuff to look forward to:

Pod Filters
Bar End Mirrors
V&H 4-1 Exhaust
Dual Rotor front brakes