Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Sloth Socks posted:

man if you got something to say, you can infolink that poo poo
Bitch has got to intimidate you in person brah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Anybody? I guess I could just play in 640x480 if nobody knows, but I'd really rather not...

It's still perfectly readable at like 1024x768 and if you run it at about 1400x1050 the gui will double in scale.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Boat posted:

There was that one picture in-game of all of Simons bio-mods and I think active defense was included.

Couldn't stop a silent take down with the GEP gun though. Even better is a Jackhammer to the back after you run away and sneak back. He flies!

That makes me realize that you never really fight an equal opponent in Deus Ex. I mean, yeah, Simons has augs but it boils down to being able to take a ton of damage and not catch on fire, it would have been awesome to have some crazy showdown with a fellow nano-augmented agent comparable to JC. Maybe one where you're both leaping all over the place taking potshots at each other, or a stealth agent who can cloak but has to worry about bio-reserves. It's a bit too straightforward for Deus Ex's "a million ways to deal with everything" philosophy but it's still fun to imagine. :allears:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I sprayed Simons in the face with pepper spray to stun him, ran a bit away, hit him with an EMP grenade, then a gas grenade, then nuked him with like 8 LAMs.

Was pretty hilariously effective, he only got like 3 or 4 shots off. The only problem with that method is there's no body to loot. :argh:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
It's only worth it if you don't have, but still want the Dragon's Tooth Sword or want the plasma clip and money he has on him. I wanted the plasma clip, so I railgunned his rear end after blowing him up a bit with Active Defense.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mike the TV posted:

It's only worth it if you don't have, but still want the Dragon's Tooth Sword or want the plasma clip and money he has on him. I wanted the plasma clip, so I railgunned his rear end after blowing him up a bit with Active Defense.

I was talking about in base Deus Ex, the last time I played it like 8+ years ago. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

fleshweasel posted:

It's still perfectly readable at like 1024x768 and if you run it at about 1400x1050 the gui will double in scale.

No, it isn't. I wouldn't have asked about it if it were. That said, the latter setting did the trick; thank you.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 7, 2010

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That makes me realize that you never really fight an equal opponent in Deus Ex. I mean, yeah, Simons has augs but it boils down to being able to take a ton of damage and not catch on fire, it would have been awesome to have some crazy showdown with a fellow nano-augmented agent comparable to JC. Maybe one where you're both leaping all over the place taking potshots at each other, or a stealth agent who can cloak but has to worry about bio-reserves. It's a bit too straightforward for Deus Ex's "a million ways to deal with everything" philosophy but it's still fun to imagine. :allears:
You're giving me a boner for Deus Ex 3 right now.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I sprayed Simons in the face with pepper spray
Hahahaha. This is like discovering you're allowed to incapacitate the end-game boss by simply kicking them in the balls.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I sprayed Simons in the face with pepper spray

On the subject of hilarious, easy boss kills: my brother introduced me to the technique of jumping from the sixth story of the missile silo to land on Howard Strong, instantly killing him. The second he's dead, Page says "You win this round" as if you cunningly discovered Strong's one weakness.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grey Fox V2 posted:

You're giving me a boner for Deus Ex 3 right now.

I know that AI and such would make those kind of things tricky, but FFS it's been half a decade since MGS3: Snake Eater made an open-ended hour-long sniper duel in a huge free-roaming jungle that was both tense and fun.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Is there a way to configure Biomod's inventory handling? I don't want to pick up guns I'm not gonna use dammit, just ammo/grenades/keys/tools :argh:

E:

This is so awesome. The phone call at the airport, throwing combat knives at dudes, so awesome.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 7, 2010

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Incoherence posted:

And the second encounter is, in my estimation, far easier: it's a much larger arena and you can just duck around the ramps and trailers and shoot him with your weapon of choice (maxed pistols, in my case) over and over until he dies.
I figured this on my last playthrough (non-lethal, no augs, on-site procurement) about 2 months ago (I know, too long) but I was in for a rude surprise. I don't know if it was shifter or playing on Unrealistic or what, but the second time you fight him he has a railgun instead of a plasma gun :wth:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

bartkusa posted:

Explosives make it so easy, though.

Did any of the augmented enemies have active defense? That would've made fights much more interesting.
That's one area where TNM is pretty good - you can fight (or not) a bunch of guys who have proper mods installed. The first time a gep rocket blew up in my face was pretty startling.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Christoph posted:

On the subject of hilarious, easy boss kills: my brother introduced me to the technique of jumping from the sixth story of the missile silo to land on Howard Strong, instantly killing him. The second he's dead, Page says "You win this round" as if you cunningly discovered Strong's one weakness.
The 40 minute speed run is great for this sort of thing, at least the parts where he doesn't just pull off ludicrous grenade jumps to skip things. Some of the levels are hilarious: he skips Liberty Island entirely by somehow convincing the guards to open the door to UNATCO HQ, the silo is nothing but him somehow lining up a LAW to kill Howard Strong without even opening the hatch, and at the end he skips the whole last area by somehow hitting the reactor button without needing to flip the switches, then killing himself with a rocket for some reason I wasn't quite sure of.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Happy Bear Suit posted:

Last summer I made a SS2 thread and I was told it was completely OK to torrent the full version copy of the game. But that was last summer. I don't know if you can find SS2 legitimately anywhere now (I highly doubt it).

There haven't been any reprints (unlike PS:T), so Wildtortilla, ask a mod and it should be fine if they agree and are logically consistent with their own decisions a year ago.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Sloth Socks posted:

man if you got something to say, you can infolink that poo poo

Going on my answering machine.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
I just beat dx for the secound time yesterday. A new dark age is the worst ending and merging with the helios ai is the best ending.

Anyway I want to start Invisible war, anyone know what are the fixes that make it better?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

I just beat dx for the secound time yesterday. A new dark age is the worst ending and merging with the helios ai is the best ending.

I strongly agree with this. I love that the options are basically a) blow up the world and go back to banging rocks together, b) put the entire world in the custody of rich old white men, c) become Jesus and deliver the human race from evil. The first time I got there I was kind of surprised that blowing it all up was even an option. Tong is loving retarded.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
Does Shifter work with the Steam version of Deus Ex?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

I strongly agree with this. I love that the options are basically a) blow up the world and go back to banging rocks together, b) put the entire world in the custody of rich old white men, c) become Jesus and deliver the human race from evil. The first time I got there I was kind of surprised that blowing it all up was even an option. Tong is loving retarded.

Eh, it's worth remembering thatEverett's railing against the Illuminati was specifically because he felt the organisation had lost its way and gone from "protect and guide the human race" to "gently caress the poor, let's make fuckloads of money off everyone's backs!" An Everett-lead Illuminati with JC as part of it has the potential to be a powerful force for good, as long as Everett doesn't object to JC murdering everyone who isn't a humanist and both of them can stay alive for long enough to keep guiding the guiding hand.

Also, the Dark Ages ending is hilarious, because while an incredibly noble ideal (force people to return to real democracy), Invisible War shows just exactly how it hosed up and why Tong was an idiot in thinking it would work. You're not blowing up the world, just the worldwide Internet - local networks would still work fine with a couple of fixes, but you wouldn't be able to be in constant, instant contact with the other side of the Atlantic and people would have to dig up old 20th/early 21st century techs - so when you think about it, the initial idea isn't that dumb, but it has very obvious consequences that would fix nothing and generate a tonne of problems; most notably, as pointed out in IW, with no communications infrastructure to speak of, governments crumbled and the more-efficiently-organised corporations stepped in, making the world infinitely more poo poo than if the Illuminati had stayed in power with Everett - in fact, only slightly less poo poo than having Bob Page merge with Helios. Also, Tong was quite obviously inspired by nonsensical romanticised notions of the late 90s, when the anti-globalisation movement was strong, and imagined that downgrading from having cyberdecks to being forced to use GSM phones and boring old cable Internet would magically cause corporations and the political Right to stop making GBS threads up the world.

So yeah, it's not that bad an idea in theory, but it fails so hard in practice.

zombieman posted:

Does Shifter work with the Steam version of Deus Ex?

Yes.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 7, 2010

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
I really wanted Everett back in IW.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, it isn't. I wouldn't have asked about it if it were.

If you have difficulties with Deus Ex's text at 1024x768, you really need to schedule an eye exam. I don't mean this in a smartass way, either; I'm completely serious. I have below-average vision and never gave a second thought to the text when playing at 1680x1050 with a non-scaling GUI.

I guess there's also always the possibility that you just have a broken monitor.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Christoph posted:

I already installed a head augmentation when I killed Gunther. How does the skullgun function? Is it kickass?
It's been a long time since I tried it but it seems kind of lame. It just shoots a powerful plasma blast. If I remember correctly, at level 1 it eats 100% of your energy when you shoot it, level 2 50%, level 3 33%, level 4 25%. Unless there's something about it I missed, it seems like a waste of an aug slot. I guess if you really want to have a plasma gun without having to carry one around, it would be decent.

I was playing regular Shifter, so maybe Biomod improved it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr_Person posted:

If you have difficulties with Deus Ex's text at 1024x768, you really need to schedule an eye exam. I don't mean this in a smartass way, either; I'm completely serious. I have below-average vision and never gave a second thought to the text when playing at 1680x1050 with a non-scaling GUI.

I guess there's also always the possibility that you just have a broken monitor.

It's an 18" CRT monitor, which might have something to do with it. 1024x768 also appears to be the last step before it starts scaling, so it's really tiny at that stage and then gets much bigger as soon as you go up to 1280x960.

Regardless, at those particular settings (and maybe affected by some weird font / OS interaction or whatever) it's loving tiny. I'm talking text less than half the size of what I'm typing and reading here on the forums. It's not impossible to read, I could tell you what a line of text says, but it's definitely uncomfortable.

My vision's fine. The (non-)scaling at that resolution just sucks.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 7, 2010

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Anyway I want to start Invisible war, anyone know what are the fixes that make it better?

You're in for (another) disappointment... DX:IW assumes that JC blew up Area 51, triggering a global economic crash called 'The Collapse'.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

CaptainWinky posted:

It's been a long time since I tried it but it seems kind of lame. It just shoots a powerful plasma blast. If I remember correctly, at level 1 it eats 100% of your energy when you shoot it, level 2 50%, level 3 33%, level 4 25%. Unless there's something about it I missed, it seems like a waste of an aug slot. I guess if you really want to have a plasma gun without having to carry one around, it would be decent.

I was playing regular Shifter, so maybe Biomod improved it.

Shifter gimps the DTS to do 5x20 damage instead of 100. This sucks because you can no longer just chop down most doors. Skulgun annihilates any doors in it's way because it does crazy damage.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Gynovore posted:

You're in for (another) disappointment... DX:IW assumes that JC blew up Area 51, triggering a global economic crash called 'The Collapse'.

Sort of. Invisible War tries to combine all the endings of Deus Ex. I actually think that was one of the better ideas.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mike the TV posted:

Shifter gimps the DTS to do 5x20 damage instead of 100.
Can I revert this change from the game console?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Sort of. Invisible War tries to combine all the endings of Deus Ex. I actually think that was one of the better ideas.

I caught how it combined the new dark age and helios endings, but where did the illuminati ending factor in? It's been a while since I played the game, I don't remember it very well. I bought it when it was on sale for $2.50 but I got up to the mako factory and decided I couldn't stand the constant loading screens and quit

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Ainsley McTree posted:

I caught how it combined the new dark age and helios endings, but where did the illuminati ending factor in?

I'm a bit fuzzy too, but a big part of the game is how religion and the government are all controlled by the Illuminati. I don't remember any suggestion that JC did the Illuminati any favours, but they certainly got a massive boost in power from DX1 to DX2.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I caught how it combined the new dark age and helios endings, but where did the illuminati ending factor in? It's been a while since I played the game, I don't remember it very well. I bought it when it was on sale for $2.50 but I got up to the mako factory and decided I couldn't stand the constant loading screens and quit

The WTO and Order Church are both headed up by the Illuminati. The WTO centralizes control of the world's money and the Order centralizes control of religion.

Of course don't actually bother playing through it because it's like the Fisher-Price "My First Deus Ex" toy.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

Ah, yes, Astroturf obviously remembered more than I did. Even the names, which I fished around my memory after for about a minute but was too lazy to google.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Ah, yes, Astroturf obviously remembered more than I did. Even the names, which I fished around my memory after for about a minute but was too lazy to google.

I played through it recently. The scars are still fresh.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I actually think that was one of the better ideas.

I agree with this.

I'm a bit annoyed at how the Order is depicted - superficially they look like some random fantasy cult/sect that worships Cthulhu what with the retarded robes and the religious fanaticism but if you listen to what Duclare has to say it's actually a rather neat religion that combines elements of Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity and Islam. They really should have made the Order worshippers look completely different.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

I guess this.

Is there anything that makes that game tolerable to actually play?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I guess this.

Don't play Deus Ex first. Alternatively, hit yourself over the head with a frying pan until you have the intelligence of an average 6th grader.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006

Quetzal-Coital posted:

I guess this.

Not that I'm aware of because while DX1 is made with the lovely UnrealEngine which is quite easy to mod DX2 is made with some proprietary piece of poo poo they coded up themselves.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ansob. posted:

I'm a bit annoyed at how the Order is depicted - superficially they look like some random fantasy cult/sect that worships Cthulhu what with the retarded robes and the religious fanaticism but if you listen to what Duclare has to say it's actually a rather neat religion that combines elements of Buddhism, Taoism, Christianity and Islam. They really should have made the Order worshippers look completely different.

It also feels like they missed the opportunity to have the Order lay out some thoughts against Transhumanism, like they do now (apparently) in DX3. They just made some Religious Fanatics out of it, and there's no real appeal to joining them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Astroturf Man posted:

Not that I'm aware of because while DX1 is made with the lovely UnrealEngine which is quite easy to mod DX2 is made with some proprietary piece of poo poo they coded up themselves.

Invisible War uses (a heavily modified, according to Wikipedia) Unreal Engine 2.