Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

He may not have a 'good' voice in the fundamental sense but its very distinctive and adds a nice dimensions to songs when produced properly. Note the last 3 words of the last sentence, Billy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sad model
Jun 25, 2010

http://twitter.com/Billy

billy posted:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOF'NL LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!! L! O! L!

Welp looks like he finally broke.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

a sad model posted:

http://twitter.com/Billy

Welp looks like he finally broke.

I think he's raging against the toronto law passed for a few days to keep rabble rousers away from the G20 meeting site. This is both insane and makes sense. It is insane because, well, he's crazy. It makes sense because he has started writing conspiracy theory poo poo about "chem trails" and other things to rival the Montauk Project, so this is right up his alley.

Shouldn't be long before we've got a THE TRUTH ABOUT 9-11 By Billy Corgan.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Been following his twitter for a couple months and I think he's been off the deep end for a while now. I think this one is a crack at goons! He just forgot the neck part.

billy posted:

Where is the indie outrage over Arcade Fire's 8 different album covers??C'mon u boys with beards! Where is the indignation!?LOL oh the irony

The funny part is he never retweets things so you get this one sided rant and have no clue what he's responding to.

billy posted:

Hey, SP/hipster fans, I do GET it. Bands do things to SELL records. Fans have the option to BUY them if they want. If your lame f'n record label isn't going to support the release of your record by giving you ZERO money you have to find ways of marketing. Stick to hating music/artists because of the endless compromises and indignities they must endure and foster a climate of lame music. Enjoy! Different rules for different games...it's all the same. Don't buy appearances, don't buy anything. Start your own band! LOL

So he's supporting the multi cover band just because they did a multi version zeitgeist, complains about the label, then goes into some weird tangent about not compromising... Or something.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
In his defense though, if the internet had been around in the 60s and 70s for musicians to vomit on, I can't even imagine what we'd think of Jim Morrison.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
I've been on a pretty big Smashing Pumpkins kick as of late, and any time I'm listening to something and think, "Billy Corgan is loving awesome," I immediately think about the things I've read about him in this thread :smith:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You have to disconnect the man from what he produces. He's an incredible song writer when he has a mind for it. Unfortunately, it's necessary to sort through a formidable amount of shite to reconcile this fact. Many do not succeed.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Gotta admit, I kinda like "LOFN'L"

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 28, 2010

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

So, new song is up on the website. "Freak" it is called.

It is at least different sounding from the other ones. That doesn't mean it is good.

I'm presently at war with myself over whether or not to go see them. I guess the setlists will decide that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
For some reason I can't seem to download the song to my PC. I click the download option and all it does is open up a new tab in my browser. Am I doing something wrong here?'

Edit: Nevermind, tried with IE and it worked.

Edit 2: As far as the song goes. I like, I think it's great. Kinda seems to me where they possibly would have gone after Machina if they didn't break up. I'm sure I'm gonna be the odd one out though.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 6, 2010

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

The Black Stones posted:

As far as the song goes. I like, I think it's great. Kinda seems to me where they possibly would have gone after Machina if they didn't break up. I'm sure I'm gonna be the odd one out though.

First Impression:

It seems like a bridge between where Machina was going and Zeitgeist started. It seems perhaps he has finally taken some criticism as his voice isn't front and center drawing attention from everything and he seems to have written the song with his current vocal range in mind instead of his old one. Flows nice, doesn't drag on and actually it sounds like it could fit on an album. A decent song that isn't trying to be amazing, wacky, or shocking, and is a nice breath of fresh air in this pile of dung tracklist.

Result: It has actually found its way onto my iPod which none of the other songs barring Song for a Son has managed to accomplish. I see promise in this project if he can stay in this current production/song writing outlook.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
"Freak" isn't bad, but the lyrics are kind of :rolleyes: in my opinion

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Diarrhea Jones posted:

"Freak" isn't bad, but the lyrics are kind of :rolleyes: in my opinion

Yeah, but Smashing Pumpkins lyrics have always been pretty lovely.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
He is totally right about the Arcade Fire hypocrisy. He does it, soulless cash grab and it is still mentioned by Pitchfork to this day. Arcade Fire does it, they're visionary geniuses giving us the privilege of choice.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd classify 'Freak' as 'the best Zwan song', really.

What happened to the wall of sound and the gently caress you attitude?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, but Smashing Pumpkins lyrics have always been pretty lovely.

I'll go along with this, but I have to say the early 20 flailing English major in me was all about scribbling lines from Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness in notebooks and drunken letters to the girl back home.

Words defy the plans indeed.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd classify 'Freak' as 'the best Zwan song', really.

What happened to the wall of sound and the gently caress you attitude?

Cause doing that in your 20's is cool. Doing that in your 40's is just sad.

I think "Tarantula" is a great example of how he's still got it in him. It just seems he wants to "push the boundaries" now (read: suck). I was so pumped when that single came out a few years ago, I thought, "Holy poo poo the Pumpkins are back." Then I heard the album. :cry:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Captain Charisma posted:

He is totally right about the Arcade Fire hypocrisy. He does it, soulless cash grab and it is still mentioned by Pitchfork to this day. Arcade Fire does it, they're visionary geniuses giving us the privilege of choice.

Each Zeitgeist release had a song that was only available from that retailer. Death From Above was one of them, as was Stellar; can't think of the others off the top of my head.

So if you wanted the "full" Zeitgeist, you had to either double-dip on albums, or find the missing track via files. As far as I know, The Suburbs is eight different covers but the same on-disc content.

Found some article detailing the Zeitgeist release:

quote:

The regular, 12-track, red and red book versions contain the following tracks:

"Doomsday Clock," "7 Shades of Black," "Bleeding the Orchid," "That's the Way (My Love Is)," "Tarantula," "Starz," "United States," "Neverlost," "Bring the Light," "(Come On) Let's Go!," "For God and Country," "Pomp and Circumstances"

The yellowish Best Buy version includes a track called "Death From Above," at either track 9 or 13.

The green version is exclusive to HMV stores throughout the UK, for some damned reason, and includes no different music.

The blue version is exclusive to iTunes, and contains a track called "Stellar" at track 11. If you pre-ordered, you got a track called "Zeitgeist." But only if you pre-ordered.

The Target version contains "Zeitgeist" at track 13. So if you were good enough to pre-order from iTunes, you got nothing tangible but you got an extra song. And you didn't get "Death From Above" no matter what.

Confused yet? Don't worry. Best Buy is selling an exclusive, expanded edition of the album with an alternate track listing (as if the muddled bonus tracks from the other stores weren't enough to negate any semblance of album continuity).

The Best Buy version will contain the initial 12 tracks in a slightly different order, plus the following inserted:

"Death from Above," "Neverlost," "Stellar," "Ma Belle," "For God and Country," "Pomp and Circumstances"

So pretty much, if you bought the album somewhere, you not only got hit with the realization that there are alternate versions with exclusive tracks and that album continuity means nothing anymore, but also we're getting an extended version with all those same tracks (except, inexplicably, the title track).

Steve Winwood
Sep 22, 2009

by Ozmaugh
How long has this been on their website?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Remember when Korn had multiple covers for their album in 1999? It's hardly a new idea. And I can probably guarantee Korn wasn't the first either.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Pisces Iscariot had a different cover for each format it was released on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

Pisces Iscariot had a different cover for each format it was released on.

And I still don't really know what each of them is. I have the CD, used to own the cassette... what/who the hell is that huge green thing on the CD, and is that an amusement park ride on the cassette?

Was there a vinyl release (probably)?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yep.

edit; here's the cassette cover

and the familiar-to-most CD cover. As has been pointed out by the poster below, it's a blurry close-up of a face.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 7, 2010

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The person on the cover of the CD was never revealed. There's been a lot of speculation, but the band was alwasy tight-lipped about it. My guess is that it was a fan, and they used it without permission hence the blurry close up.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
to me it always looked like james

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Same here. Thought it was James. Also, inside, there's the picture of a woman's clothed breast, isn't there?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I could have sworn it was Courtney Love

Also I forgot about the exclusive track thing so yeah

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'm having trouble recognizing that thing as a face.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOk30z1rvg

New song played during a soundcheck, called "Make it Happen"

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Anybody else going to the Columbus show tomorrow night? I don't think I have the patience to get in line early enough to catch the soundcheck but I'm really excited.

fastpork
Jul 16, 2008
Posting about favorite SP songs and no one has mentioned "Set The Ray To Jerry"? Do you guys have any soul? :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkXWTb-QzI

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

fastpork posted:

Posting about favorite SP songs and no one has mentioned "Set The Ray To Jerry"? Do you guys have any soul? :(

It sounds kinda cheesy and nostalgic, but that's because I'm kinda drunk. Listening to this song, and some others reminds me of why I give a poo poo about the ridiculous stuff that billy keeps pumping out. This music is a big, big part of my sordid, unsettled youth, and I can't help but keep coming back to it.

Uggghhhhhh Tampa show or not. I just can't make up my mind.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Deltron 3030 posted:

Anybody else going to the Columbus show tomorrow night? I don't think I have the patience to get in line early enough to catch the soundcheck but I'm really excited.

Please tell me if he can still sing "Hummer" right. This will basically decide if I go or not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fastpork posted:

The thing I love about 'Set the Ray to Jerry' is that I got the boxset years ago for Christmas, and it was a really good time in my life (not that nowadays everything is poo poo, but I'm just sayin'). So any song from that collection, but especially this one, gives me that whole :3: feeling all over again.

I'm going to have to put my pumpkins b-sides collection on my ipod again. I just take out the singles and Pastichio Medley (only because it's 26 goddamned minutes), and it's a wonderful collection.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

fastpork posted:

I've listened to the Gravity Demos version of this for hours on end, interspersed occasionally with the actual song, and it kills me every time.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Platypus Farm posted:

Please tell me if he can still sing "Hummer" right. This will basically decide if I go or not.

Yes he still can. I went to the Baltimore show last night, and it was great. The band has good chemistry, and Billy can still sing pretty loving well. The set list is pretty good (It could do with less Zeitgeist, personally). Sound check was a lot of fun, and Billy even signed an autograph for my friend while walking off stage at the end of the main show. Seriously, I would go.

poop
Jun 20, 2009

USER FOREVER BANNED FOR DOUBTING THE FOREVER BAN
So uh, this album, any good?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

poop posted:

Oh, I don't know, download it for free? Or read the thread?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

poop posted:

There's only 4/44 songs released and they range from mediocre to obnoxiously lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone following them on FB? They recently posted about how, while they don't mind music criticism (and in fact encourage it), they're banning people from bitching or whining. Don't blame them, but I tried looking for any overwhelming pumpkins criticism and could only find a few comments of how everything was better when D'arcy and James were still in the band.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 13, 2010

• Locked thread