Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
Has there ever been, or is there currently a thread for gig-swaps/tour help amongst goon musicians/bands? With this many musicians there has to be a fair number of goon bands touring who could probably help each other out? Is there interest in a thread like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm thinking about getting an interface that's bundled with Ableton Live Lite 7. While checking out the Ableton site, I've only found info about upgrading from Live LE or Live Intro, but not from Live Lite. Is it possible to upgrade from Live Lite 7? And would I be able to upgrade to Live 8 or only Live 7?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I'm thinking about getting an interface that's bundled with Ableton Live Lite 7. While checking out the Ableton site, I've only found info about upgrading from Live LE or Live Intro, but not from Live Lite. Is it possible to upgrade from Live Lite 7? And would I be able to upgrade to Live 8 or only Live 7?

http://www.ableton.com/lite-upgrade

It looks like it's USD $329 to upgrade from Live Lite to Live 8 (full version), and that there is a free upgrade from Live Lite 7 to Live Lite 8.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Liface posted:

Are you sure it's not the microphone itself? Do you have another mixer you can try it on?

As far as I know, the Behringer C-1 and Studio Projects B1 are very similar microphones. You shouldn't have to do anything different to get one or the other to work.

Exactly! It should be plug, play (, engage phantom power) and get to work but the sound from the B1 is terribly weak with the Behringer mixer preamps. Incoming voice (loud spoken) comes weak and I'll get the mixer SNR wrecking it if I gain the signal.

I really think it's a Behringer being a Behringer. MX series. Checked out the succeeding UB amp, cleaner SNR but still not strong enough for it.

90% sure it's in the amps. Still waiting to hear from a guy who offered an untouched VTB1 for half price. Argh.

Chexxum
Sep 24, 2002

Jesus Krist is :cool:
I picked up a beginner's music theory book and just started going through it. One of the listening exercises tells you to write down what you hear. The answer key shows this:

but I wrote "quarter note - half rest - quarter note" for the second measure. Are both ways correct, or is there a difference between a half rest and two quarter rests?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Chexxum posted:

I picked up a beginner's music theory book and just started going through it. One of the listening exercises tells you to write down what you hear. The answer key shows this:

but I wrote "quarter note - half rest - quarter note" for the second measure. Are both ways correct, or is there a difference between a half rest and two quarter rests?

It's the same thing. Probably 99% of the time it would be written the way you did it.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I wouldn't say 99%. Some musicians and instructors say that splitting up the rests like that makes it easier to count. It's not universal, and it's only really important in difficult music, but splitting rests to emphasize counts is a decent rule of thumb and well worth keeping in mind. For the same reason, you'll sometimes see a pair of tied notes in place of a dotted value.

The way I think of it now is to try and divide my values the same way beaming is broken up.

Speaking of scores, time to see about trading in my copy of Finale for Sibelius because Finale has ceased to work and all the cool kids at my school are using Sibelius now. I was tempted by Digital Performer but I've since heard horror stories. Score chat ITT.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I wouldn't say 99%. Some musicians and instructors say that splitting up the rests like that makes it easier to count. It's not universal, and it's only really important in difficult music, but splitting rests to emphasize counts is a decent rule of thumb and well worth keeping in mind. For the same reason, you'll sometimes see a pair of tied notes in place of a dotted value.

The way I think of it now is to try and divide my values the same way beaming is broken up.

Speaking of scores, time to see about trading in my copy of Finale for Sibelius because Finale has ceased to work and all the cool kids at my school are using Sibelius now. I was tempted by Digital Performer but I've since heard horror stories. Score chat ITT.

Interesting. I'm not much of a music theorist (haven't really seen much sheet music since high school and hardly ever wrote any) but that makes sense, especially for difficult music and sightreading purposes. Thanks for the info.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Score chat ITT.

As slow as it can be to enter notes sometimes, Sibelius is pretty much the poo poo when it comes to notation software.

Also, as he said, there should be two quarter rests like your text indicated. Besides being easier to count, it emphasizes the stronger beat that occurs in 4/4 on the first and third beats.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
^ Thanks for the advice. ^

If Digital Performer is still offering their crossgrade for finale I'm going to look at it very seriously, but Sibelius is looking really good so that's probably what I'll end up going with. DP does so much it's hard not to be tempted, and some of the big name endorsements carry a lot of weight.

I looked at the new version of finale and it seems like they're catering even more to the marching world. I want extended notation for contemporary music drat it, not a new font for triangle and woodblock. :saddowns:

ASYMMETRICALTITS
Jun 5, 2006

scrolling hamburger-chan~~ uguu~~ Kudesai. ahaha :coolfish:
i'm thinking of getting into dj'ing (hopefully i can have it as a side job to pay my way through college) and am wondering what would be a good way to start? i've downloaded virtualdj and have a friend with turntables that she said she'd be willing to let me play with. i'm also constantly expanding my music library and plan on learning a bit of music theory eventually. problem is i have no idea where to even begin with virtualdj in terms of making loops, beats, scratching, etc. any help would be very much appreciated.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

I know nothing of Virtualdj but I do know one person who earns money DJing with Ableton Live. Lots of cheap controllers come with Live LE so you can easily see if it's for you. I'm not a fan myself but many DJ types are. I know that you can do a lot of standard beat juggling and mixing in Ableton without a giant hardware setup, which is a plus for some.

Other DJ goons will know much more than me of course.

Edit: vv Youtube has lessons for everything. vv

Ferrous Wheel fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 5, 2010

ASYMMETRICALTITS
Jun 5, 2006

scrolling hamburger-chan~~ uguu~~ Kudesai. ahaha :coolfish:
i've been using virtualdj because i heard that it was the most user-friendly for people new to the whole thing. but tbh, it's still pretty confusing so i might check out the ableton thing. do you guys suggest for me to take lessons? or is there a good online tutorial that can help me get started?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Does anyone remember the address of that site that does custom guitar string sets? I've mixed and matched gauges to set up one of my guitars properly and I'd like to custom order a new set.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Chexxum posted:

you almost always want to split up the beats in the middle of a measure like that. That example there wouldn't be hard to read with a half rest, but if you were playing a bunch of 8th notes and saw a quarter rest in the middle of the measure it could easily throw you off. Anyone who's done sight reading from a book of poorly edited jazz charts knows the pain of oddly placed and superfluous rests.

Were your example to start with a blank half measure, or end with it, you could use the half rest.

It's also unusual for beginner dictation exercises to include rests. I did a year of university ear training and we just used full note values. As long as you get the right pitch and rhythm, the rests can be a little subjective (even without rests there is still a little bit of space between notes for breathing, bow direction changes, hand position shifts, etc). With the exception of very precisely performed classical music, I think most people tend to avoid rests and let the performer decide whether to let an entire 8th note "ring out". If rests were written to reflect actual performance reading music would be a lot harder.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 5, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Concatenation posted:

Does anyone remember the address of that site that does custom guitar string sets? I've mixed and matched gauges to set up one of my guitars properly and I'd like to custom order a new set.

http://www.juststrings.com/

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Concatenation posted:

http://www.juststrings.com/ ?
They have singles in any gauge available anyways.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I'm buying my second guitar, my first was an Epiphone G-400 and I want something a bit different- I've been looking at Maple body guitars that come with EMG pickups. However basically all of the guitars that fit this description are the ones you find in the HEAVY METAL section of internet stores, and gently caress that's what I'm going to end up playing anyways but I always figured that these guitars were a bit gimmicky.

Basically I want somebody to tell me it is okay to drop 900 bucks on a Godin Redline 3. I'm worried, because googling around yields almost nothing, it doesn't seem like anybody actually uses this guitar. There are a couple of glowing reviews from guitar websites or magazines or whatever, but none by an everyman. There is a shop near here that has them in stock so I guess I'll go try it, but I don't feel confident enough in my ability to judge to make that decision alone. Also why aren't there any maple body guitars without a loving tremolo

Second question, I'm trying to put off sinking a lot of money in a nice guitar amp while I improve my skills. I've heard that the Guitar Rig 4 trial is pretty alright, and since I'd like to do some home recording eventually anyways I figured this would be the best way to go until I can pick up a nice amp.

I just want to make sure I'm grabbing what I need because I don't know anything about this stuff. Supposedly going through tube preamp can make all the difference in sound, so I was looking at the ART Tube MP Project Series. Then I guess I need some digital interface, I guess this doesn't matter a whole lot since I don't need a bunch of channels or anything, so I guess the M-Audio Fast Track is fine? And that's everything I need?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My mic issues just solved themselves. Connected the B1 to the same old mixer, as before, and it's not super-weak any longer, I don't have to yell into it, no gain no nothing, it just works.

edit: Okay.
1) B1 + Mixer suddenly decide to play nice together
2) Over an hour of feeding power to the mic and such, every channel gets clicky and distorted, bad
3) Sounds perfect after putting the headphones in the mixer
4) M-Audio 2496 soundcard stops the crackling after I re-enable the once-disabled (Win7x64) "HD Audio Device" that supposedly belongs to Microsoft
5) ??
6) Profit, and a confounded MrLonghair. Don't know what heppened but at least I can use my loving sweet Studio Projects B1. Such is the fidelity at which it can record a burp!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 7, 2010

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

not a dinosaur posted:

Basically I want somebody to tell me it is okay to drop 900 bucks on a Godin Redline 3. I'm worried, because googling around yields almost nothing, it doesn't seem like anybody actually uses this guitar. There are a couple of glowing reviews from guitar websites or magazines or whatever, but none by an everyman. There is a shop near here that has them in stock so I guess I'll go try it, but I don't feel confident enough in my ability to judge to make that decision alone. Also why aren't there any maple body guitars without a loving tremolo

If you don't mind the color, and act fast, you can get it for $379
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Redline-Electric-Guitar-Natural/dp/B001QCXS28/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1278514478&sr=8-6

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

not a dinosaur posted:

Basically I want somebody to tell me it is okay to drop 900 bucks on a Godin Redline 3.

As Stabbibg Spork says, I think you can spend less than $900 on a Redline if you shop around, but I think Godin is one of the safest companies to buy from sight unseen. I don't own one but I check out their stuff in the shop all the time and I've never seen anything that would worry me. Good builds, good necks, good finishes, good designs. Also note that they tend to take a massive price hit when selling used, so if you're okay with that it could save you a lot.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Ferrous Wheel posted:

As Stabbibg Spork says, I think you can spend less than $900 on a Redline if you shop around, but I think Godin is one of the safest companies to buy from sight unseen. I don't own one but I check out their stuff in the shop all the time and I've never seen anything that would worry me. Good builds, good necks, good finishes, good designs. Also note that they tend to take a massive price hit when selling used, so if you're okay with that it could save you a lot.

I have owned 1 Godin, a Detour that I picked up for cheap. It was very well built, with solid hardware. I eventually sold it because I wasn't in love with the pickups or the neck feel, but these things are improved on the more expensive guitars.
I see that you posted a link to a German store, and finding a used Godin might be a little more difficult there, but if you can get a used one, do it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Alright, so we've got a Yamaha MG166CX Mixer and under the inputs are 'inserts'

Can I send these to my interface which in turn goes to my computer?

My Interface outputs are all hosed up and static-y but the inputs are fine, so if I could get individual channels coming out of the mixer into the interface I'd be set, I'm just not positive on what the inserts do.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Inserts should be for sending the signal off to an effects chain - I looked at a picture of the mixer and it says IN and OUT for the different sections of the jack, so I'm guessing the Insert connectors handle input and output together. Are you trying to route all your mixer inputs to individual interface inputs, and ignore the faders etc?

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Thanks all, great find with the Amazon link. Unfortunately as Stabbing Spork said I'm not currently in the US, but I'll be making a trip back in a couple of months so maybe I'll have a friend hold on to it for me. Of course that requires patience :goleft:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

baka kaba posted:

Inserts should be for sending the signal off to an effects chain - I looked at a picture of the mixer and it says IN and OUT for the different sections of the jack, so I'm guessing the Insert connectors handle input and output together. Are you trying to route all your mixer inputs to individual interface inputs, and ignore the faders etc?

Well, right now I've got instruments going to the Presonus, and the Presonus Outs going to the mixer, but after so long the Outs start getting real lovely and make this static sound. We need the mixer to plug into our amp and our massive speakers so we can hear ourselves proper.

Until presonus gives me a new interface (or 'repair' ) this one again i was thinking we could avoid using the Presonus' outs at all, but now that I think about it we wouldn't be able to hear playback from the computer through the mixer (unless maybe I could send audio from my headphone jack to the mixer)...so maybe I'm just hosed until I get a better interface.

Ultimately I want to have all the live instruments going into my computer and back out to the mixer, so that instead of spending a shitload of money on physical effects racks I can mix and mash and gently caress everything up in my computer.

Trapezoid
Apr 28, 2004
What's a good MP3 player for controlling backing tracks on stage? Important features: Reliable battery, non-stupid playlist system, an option to auto-pause after each song, general ruggedness. Ideally: WAV support. Impossibly: Foot pedal controller.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
An iPod? I've seen quite a few bands just use their personal mp3 players, it's probably a good idea to go with something you're already familiar with.

Trapezoid
Apr 28, 2004
Well, I don't have an iPod and according to this article there's no manual playlist advance mode. Since I'm shopping for an mp3 player, I might as well try and find one that I don't need to fiddle with too much between songs.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Sorry, my iPod is running Rockbox so I'm used to it being very configurable. You could consider buying an older compatible mp3 player and running Rockbox.

https://www.rockbox.org

Trapezoid
Apr 28, 2004
Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing. Cool, I'll check into it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

RizieN posted:

Well, right now I've got instruments going to the Presonus, and the Presonus Outs going to the mixer, but after so long the Outs start getting real lovely and make this static sound. We need the mixer to plug into our amp and our massive speakers so we can hear ourselves proper.

Until presonus gives me a new interface (or 'repair' ) this one again i was thinking we could avoid using the Presonus' outs at all, but now that I think about it we wouldn't be able to hear playback from the computer through the mixer (unless maybe I could send audio from my headphone jack to the mixer)...so maybe I'm just hosed until I get a better interface.

Ultimately I want to have all the live instruments going into my computer and back out to the mixer, so that instead of spending a shitload of money on physical effects racks I can mix and mash and gently caress everything up in my computer.

So you want to use the mixer's recording inputs, then pipe all the inputs to your computer to record the separate tracks, while also using the mixer controls to create a live mix for the speakers?

I'm no expert but looking at a photo of the mixer those inserts are your only discrete outputs (unless the USB interface does something), so I think you're going about it the right way. Maybe you could use a cable with the wire going to both contacts, meaning the Insert IN hops straight to the OUT (so the signal carries on through the mixer channel as normal) as well as sending it to your interface? I don't think that will blow anything up...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thats the thing though, I think this is ONE step down from that mixer, it has no USB. If this mixer could double as my interface I'd be loving golden...

What I ultimately want is Instruments> computer/effects > mixer/sound system. With no latency even if we have 8 mother fuckers wailing on something at the same time.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I've been looking for a sub $200 condenser mic for a little bit, and have the opportunity to snag a Shure KSM27 for $140 on Craigslist. Everything I've read makes this seem like an excellent deal, but I figured I'd check here since I know relatively little about microphones.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

not a dinosaur posted:

Thanks all, great find with the Amazon link. Unfortunately as Stabbing Spork said I'm not currently in the US, but I'll be making a trip back in a couple of months so maybe I'll have a friend hold on to it for me. Of course that requires patience :goleft:
You could have pay your friend to ship it to you -- youd still be saving quite a chunk of change, plus youd get to rock and roll

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does anyone know of any other free online games similar to this? It's a flash card-ish game that helps you learn how to read music on the treble and bass clefs. It's got a timer and can get pretty fast-paced. It's pretty simple but useful.
http://www.soundfeelings.com/namethatnote/index.html

I'd love one that helped with pitch recognition or intervals. Apparently the people that made Name that Note made a pitch recognition one but I can't find it anywhere to play online.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Got another question - one that might actually be worthy of a thread, and it surprises me that one doesn't exist yet. I need to know about more independent effects creators. Ones that create weird effects, like my friend, Devi at deviever.com. Devi is a pretty talented person and her pedals largely focus around fuzz. Her pedals are also very well priced. I'm looking for other weird effects - not just fuzz - that are fairly affordable, although I'm not too cheap to shell out some bank for a pedal that's really worth it.

http://www.noiseguide.com/

Although it's more geared towards harsh noise/avant garde experimentalist types, there is a mention of pretty much any pedal worth anything on there.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

ASYMMETRICALTITS posted:

i've been using virtualdj because i heard that it was the most user-friendly for people new to the whole thing. but tbh, it's still pretty confusing so i might check out the ableton thing. do you guys suggest for me to take lessons? or is there a good online tutorial that can help me get started?

Have you read the DJ thread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2694790

If you wanna go the Ableton route, then check out abletonlivedj - it's (as the name suggests) a forum based pretty much entirely about djing in Live.

A lot of MIDI controllers come with a reduced version of Live (for example, you can only run 4 audio tracks and 4 MIDI tracks in a set), but for djing this is ample.

Or try NI Traktor, which is wonderful.

It depends how creative you wanna get with your sets- if you are just doing mixing/beatmatching then Virtualdj (or stepping up to Traktor/Serato) is fine, but if you want to chop up tracks and take a more remix-oriented path, the Live is far and away the best option.

Just bear in mind you can't scratch in Live (well, not without a LOT of effort, and it still won't sound 'right'), and I love me some wikky-wack.

DJ Techtools is a really good DJ/controllerism (djing with midi controllers rather than decks) site, with a poo poo ton of tutorials and info.

Likewise, check out Moldover on youtube for some serious Live virtuosity!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Can anyone recommend a midi floorpedal? Basically I want to be able to play back samples with a footpress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Three Red Lights posted:

Can anyone recommend a midi floorpedal? Basically I want to be able to play back samples with a footpress.

Tech 21 Midi Mouse
That's probably about as small/simple as you can get.