Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Ziploc posted:

What do you guys do if you have A LOT of peripherals?

2 monitors
2 sets of speakers (game console/computer)
3 external HDs
2 music players (iPod/iPhone)
2 input devices (mouse/keyboard)
1 steering wheel (oh my god so many wires)
1 capture device
1 webcam

It's never all on at once. But there is a poo poo tonne of wires everywhere under my desk. And I don't even have enough power plugs for it all with two power strips.

Upgrade your peripherals...Buy a 4 drive external HD case and consolidate that poo poo. Get a bluetooth mouse/keyboard + some rechargeable batteries (Sanyo Eneloop are awesome). Get a new monitor with a webcam built in. There, I just saved you 5 USB ports and a massive headache. You can paypal the 10% consulting fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Keebler posted:

Wow, I like that desk. Were did you get it from?

Just a part of my bedroom suite that came with the apartment. It's not really wood, it's all metal

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Ethereal posted:

Upgrade your peripherals...Buy a 4 drive external HD case and consolidate that poo poo. Get a bluetooth mouse/keyboard + some rechargeable batteries (Sanyo Eneloop are awesome). Get a new monitor with a webcam built in. There, I just saved you 5 USB ports and a massive headache. You can paypal the 10% consulting fee.

Get a usb hub, some velcro and some zip ties.

There, I saved you hundreds of dollars.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Ethereal posted:

Or just do this...

http://www.decluttered.com/

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Apps posted:

Or just do this...

http://www.decluttered.com/

+1 Insightful.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=81#post379233283

Edit: \/ Gotcha.

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 5, 2010

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
I know, I was just reiterating the point. // People never read the last post on a page.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
Does anyone know or own a desk capable of holding 2 30" monitors plus a pair of monitor speakers? (8 inch diameter). I've been wanting to add a 2nd monitor to my setup but I simply cannot find the room.

I don't want to spend a poo poo load but I'd really like to increase my real estate space. I guess may be one solution is to get speaker stands for the monitors.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
Crappy uni accomodation. Room came with a huge desk attached to the wall so all my wires are just shoved all over the place. I really need to tidy but I'm moving soon so, eh, I'll do it then.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Got a new desk, finally. Been desk-less for a while now, feels good to have a place to put my poo poo.

1- iMac G5 17". Had it for 5 years now, and it's still running awesome.
2- 19" Gateway Monitor. It was free, it does the job.
3- 15" Macbook Pro C2D 2.8 ghz, running Win7 in this pic.
4- Logitech MX Revolution mouse. My absolute favorite mouse ever.
5- A lovely Gameshark keyboard for PS2 that I use because I don't want to spend money on a nice keyboard.
6- Framed copy of this strip
7- (you can barely see the number, but it's in the shelf next to the iMac) - where I'm stashing all the USB stuff I haven't set up yet.
8- The Desk. which is connected to The bookcase. Took about 2 hours to set it all up myself yesterday morning.
9- The chair. Which honestly feels great, especially for the price.

Planning on setting up a pegboard under it like on http://www.decluttered.com, simply because I have too many wired attachments to these systems, and I'm living in poo poo. Otherwise, the desk is awesome.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Just moved into a new apartment with a new desk, so I tried to do the wiring right:

I guess I could put the powerstrip under the desk too, but I'm not 100% set on the setup just yet. Need a new laptop stand, too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't believe someone put an outlet on the brick part of the wall and then ran conduit right across the middle of it when there's a white wall a couple of feet away.

:negative:

Tim-may!!!
Jun 22, 2002
This is my desk at work as it appeared a few months ago:

Click here for the full 1024x680 image.

And here it is after I replaced the main monitor with a 25.5" Samsung and rotated the other 3 into portrait mode:

Click here for the full 1024x680 image.

At home I have two Dell 24's, but no pics to share.

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

doubtful posted:

geez man, less embarrassing? need to get your mind right and clean that poo poo up

ya i live it, mouse pad free, get at me

Really digging the desk, where did you get it?

para
Nov 30, 2006

illamint posted:

This may have been mentioned before, but what desk is that?

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

para posted:

This may have been mentioned before, but what desk is that?
IKEA Galant.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Caged posted:

I can't believe someone put an outlet on the brick part of the wall and then ran conduit right across the middle of it when there's a white wall a couple of feet away.

:negative:

Would it be some kind of code violation to just run it under the baseboard? That would have made more sense if they didn't want to hack up the wall.

That conduit looks horrendous though :(

I love your giant windows though, illamint.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Martytoof posted:

Would it be some kind of code violation to just run it under the baseboard? That would have made more sense if they didn't want to hack up the wall.

Typically in the US, yes, unless the cable did not require protection (MC/AC/BX, or in conduit). Exposed romex (typical household wiring) within 5 feet of the floor must be protected.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Martytoof posted:

It'd be trivial to re-drywall if it came down to it. Unless it's plaster (which it may very well be). If that's the case then it makes sense that they ran conduit instead of dealing with the huge loving mess that plaster is.

EDIT: Yeah, that's totally a plaster wall. I bet the doorway is to the right there and that's why the conduit was run along the brick.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

kombatMedik posted:

Got a new desk, finally. Been desk-less for a while now, feels good to have a place to put my poo poo.

I had decided to get this desk last week, may go buy it today for my new apartment. Although I'm hoping I can place it so that it the shelves can be accessed from both sides.
Looks pretty good though!

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
Added another Dell 3008WFP to my setup and rearranged a little bit:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

amusinginquiry posted:

I had decided to get this desk last week, may go buy it today for my new apartment. Although I'm hoping I can place it so that it the shelves can be accessed from both sides.
Looks pretty good though!

Thanks! it's worked out really well. Building the shelves was kind of a pain, due to the wooden pegs holding it together. But it's an awesome desk/shelf combo. Enjoy!

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Since the view from my window is no longer impoverished black children throwing rocks at cars, and I have a new camera phone, I figured I'd re-up.

Desktop:

View:

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Prepare to cringe. . . I do most my work in our small garage, cause well I like loud music, the wife doesn't. . . and since it's a garage (the gayrage) that I do a lot of work on other poo poo like bicycles, and other peoples computers in, it never gets really really clean. Right now it's at about 90% nasty, plan is to clean it again today after I velox my bicycle rims.

Click here for the full 960x720 image.

Just to prove I don't live all the time in neckbearded squalor, here is the tv station. I was also gonna shoot a picture of the networking/server closet but I'm not happy with it yet, and it won't be finished until fall comes, it cools down, and we get back to re-wiring the entire house.

Click here for the full 960x720 image.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
That is the oddest combination of furniture I have ever seen.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
What kind of TV stand is that two posts up?

also that guy with the brick wall, is that cable thing an addon? I wish to have something similar on my desk but it's just a simple desk with a drawer in the middle.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Hung Yuri posted:

What kind of TV stand is that two posts up?

Some $100 buck 3 glass shelf thing they had at HHGregg. I just needed something that would fit my TV since I was an oddball early adopter of LED tech, and had an LED projection set. It had the right measurements, and didn't look gawky, so what the gently caress?

Also due to the weight limit on it, if I ever upgrade to LED backlit/bigger it has a 180lb weight limit on the top shelf, so I should be golden.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

enotnert posted:

Some $100 buck 3 glass shelf thing they had at HHGregg. I just needed something that would fit my TV since I was an oddball early adopter of LED tech, and had an LED projection set. It had the right measurements, and didn't look gawky, so what the gently caress?

Also due to the weight limit on it, if I ever upgrade to LED backlit/bigger it has a 180lb weight limit on the top shelf, so I should be golden.

I wonder if it would fit an old 27" crt Philips we just picked up to replace our dying tv? We really need a stand cause we're using a coffee table to place it on right now.

edit: also that masonry looks like poo poo. Probably because it's old but its like they never loving raked/pointed the joint. I bet it was behind a wall at one time so they never bothered or had some loser do it out of his pickup truck :spergin:

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 17, 2010

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Hung Yuri posted:

I wonder if it would fit an old 27" crt Philips we just picked up to replace our dying tv? We really need a stand cause we're using a coffee table to place it on right now.

edit: also that masonry looks like poo poo. Probably because it's old but its like they never loving raked/pointed the joint. I bet it was behind a wall at one time so they never bothered or had some loser do it out of his pickup truck :spergin:

Probably, I put my portly 210lb frame on it and bounced around, and it seemed stable. Keep in mind a 27" is gonna look tiny on that. The tv on it is a 50"er.

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009
New layout :v:

nyoron fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 18, 2010

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Got a big bonus about a year ago so I treated myself to two new 24" monitors. Runs on my Ubuntu desktop. I have a separate Macbook Pro 15" not pictured since it's rarely part of my actual desktop.

B00ts
Aug 23, 2007

Play like a Cardinal.
The desktop is almost three years old now but still runs as well as the day I got it. The Samsung was a graduation gift which I'm more than pleased with, though it sets a dangerous precedent for my future computing needs. For example, the 19" widescreen at my office (which would for many would be more than adequate) is dealbreakingly small to these eyes :-)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

B00ts posted:

The desktop is almost three years old now but still runs as well as the day I got it.

Do you have the preconception that your computer rots from the inside as soon as you bring it home?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

Do you have the preconception that your computer rots from the inside as soon as you bring it home?

Surely it's a misconception if anything.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Well, there was that thread about case cockroaches.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Conceivable.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did a cubicle purge, got rid of a lot of useless poo poo that had piled up, and rearranged things a little bit for more space.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Can I get a sanity check?

I have a Ikea Galant right now, (47.25" L x 31.5" W) and I need to get some more space utilization in my apartment, so I thought of modding the desk to suit my needs a bit better and creating a U shaped addition to attach to the top of it, and while i'm at it, drill some holes in the desk and other such fun things..

I've currently got a Qnap TS419p, a 22" widescreen hp monitor, and a 19"WFP dell turned portrait, and i'd like to keep the Qnap underneath the hutch, and move the monitors up above it, the qnap is about 7.25" tall so the hutch needs to be up at at least 8", and thick enough to support the weight of LCD's, so I'm trying to plan for thickness and also make sure i'm not going to be straining my neck, etc... Here's my scanned plans..

Some slight explanations..
I'd like to add two LED Bars, one to light up the wall behidn the desk, and one under the hutch to light up the things underneath it and provide mellow lighting.

I'm adding two holes for 3 port USB hubs to be put inside the desk (made by belkin) and two holes for passing cables through to the cable manager under the desk..

I'm planning on a 1" wide piece of flat metal to support the upper ledge of the hutch if necessary.. don't know what kind of wood I need to support the weight..

Thoughts or additions?

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
Hell, I know It's a crap picture but I thought I might even get one person's input on it before blindly drilling through everything.. :(

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I was going to clean it up all nice and tidy but then I ran out of space to put my cleared things.

Clarinova CLP-411 on the side, dual monitors, little to no attention/care paid to speakers. I use a headset all the time and when I'm not the speakers I stuffed into the wire hell in the back work just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Logikv9 posted:

I was going to clean it up all nice and tidy but then I ran out of space to put my cleared things.

Clarinova CLP-411 on the side, dual monitors, little to no attention/care paid to speakers. I use a headset all the time and when I'm not the speakers I stuffed into the wire hell in the back work just fine.

Hey, that's the same background my friend used when he had desktop extend across three monitors. Middle was white because there was always something fullscreen on it. Was a pretty cool effect from afar.

What's up with all the desktop icons? And why the clock in front of your monitor?