Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

poo poo. Deep Discount canceled my order for Bob le flambeur and Touchez pas au grisbi. I guess I'll wait for the B&N sale and hope to snag them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can never help but read that as Flaming Bob.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Any news at all about the Antichrist blu ray?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

atrus50 posted:

Any news at all about the Antichrist blu ray?

Wait till the 15th. Many think it will be announced for October.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Criminal Minded posted:

I have problems.

You and me both. I basically haven't bought any Criterions since the last sale, anticipating this one. I'm definitely going to buy around twelve titles, at least. It feels like Christmas, I'm so excited it's finally here.

Also, DD cancelled my Diary of a Chambermaid, those jerks.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Whoa, if anybody has an FYE near them, gather up anything you'll be replacing on blu-ray, print this off and hit them up:

I just got $142 from selling a decent amount of movies. Here's the prices I got on the Criterions:

Last Emperor $14.40
Yojimbo/Sanjuro $16.80
M $9.60
8 1/2 $7.20
The Leopard $12.00
Last Year at Marienbad $9.60
Seventh Seal $2.40 (thought that was odd)
Seven Samurai $12.00
Days of Heaven $9.60
400 Blows $2.40

Also sold some pretty crappy worthless things (the old barebones discs of Midnight Cowboy and 2001, for example) for a couple of bucks each, got $18 for the Kubrick box set and $9.60 for The Godfather set. All in all I made barely less than I would have gotten from any online purchaser and didn't have to worry about shipping or reliability.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

No clue on this one. The image is called "wackygnus1.jpg"... something like "TV News"? "News on TV"?

edit: someone at cf.org suggested Broadcast News which would work, but doesn't seem like something Criterion would release.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 7, 2010

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Broadcast News, maybe?

nice edit~

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FitFortDanga posted:

edit: someone at cf.org suggested Broadcast News which would work, but doesn't seem like something Criterion would release.

Broadcast News would actually make a lot of sense. The DVD of it is notoriously atrocious. It's a 1.33:1 with the top, bottom, and sides cut off to make it 1.85:1, AND it's non-anamorphic.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't remember it being a particularly remarkable film in any way, though. But I haven't seen it in over 20 years, so maybe I'm wrong. I do like Albert Brooks.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Some people are saying Red River, which had a leak already last week or so.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
I hope it is Broadcast News. I just watched it again for the first time in about two decades on Netflix Instant and it's better than I remember. I'll buy almost anything with Albert Brooks in it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I guess this is an appropriate place to ask, is the StudioCanal BRD version of Ran any good, or is it worth it hunting down the Criterion version?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I guess this is an appropriate place to ask, is the StudioCanal BRD version of Ran any good, or is it worth it hunting down the Criterion version?

The SC version is dogshit. Criterion never released theirs because those faggots told them they couldn't. I think it was like a few weeks before its release, too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I guess I would say that technically, it's a visual upgrade on the Criterion DVD. However, all the evidence indicates that StudioCanal simply used Criterion's old HD transfer, which is not Blu-Ray-ready, and it looks like total rear end. What really blows is that Criterion was all set to make a new transfer when StudioCanal decided, for whatever reason, to take the film back and release it themselves.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

The SC version is dogshit. Criterion never released theirs because those faggots told them they couldn't. I think it was like a few weeks before its release, too.

Criterion never officially announced Ran on Blu, but it was pretty close to announcement I think.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It was on the list of films that were going to be put on Blu-Ray back when Criterion first announced it was going to have an HD line.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It was on the list of films that were going to be put on Blu-Ray back when Criterion first announced it was going to have an HD line.

I just meant that it never had an official date of release.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

I do recall it showing up on the "Coming Soon" section of the site though. So probably it had a release date.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I guess I would say that technically, it's a visual upgrade on the Criterion DVD. However, all the evidence indicates that StudioCanal simply used Criterion's old HD transfer, which is not Blu-Ray-ready, and it looks like total rear end. What really blows is that Criterion was all set to make a new transfer when StudioCanal decided, for whatever reason, to take the film back and release it themselves.
Eh, that's good enough for me, considering that my version of Ran isn't "lazy transfer" bad, it's "completely loving unwatchable" bad.

thanks for the advice anyway.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I finally got around to picking up Che on blu-ray (it's not widely available in retail stores in Canada because another company has their own edition) and goddamn does that RED camera make some purdy pictures. Now I'm on a bizarre guerilla war kick so I'll try and hunt down the massive Battle of Algiers set which I love but is usually not at all cheap. gently caress I hope this B&N sale is good because I missed out on the DeepDiscount/DVDPlanet sale.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 8, 2010

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

GoochBag
Mar 10, 2008

All right! Let's go get some men!
Criterion announced via their twitter feed that Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale started today and lasts through August 1st. So...good.

edit: Criterion jumped the gun a bit. Just talked to my local B&N, sale doesn't start until tomorrow. Still runs through August 1st.

GoochBag fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 12, 2010

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Woop, August 1st. That means I can get Red Shoes & Black Narcissus when they come out.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I just realized that the AK 100 - 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa set is also 50% off, so it is $200...oh...poo poo...I need to save my money. I really need to save my money.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fat Lou posted:

I just realized that the AK 100 - 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa set is also 50% off, so it is $200...oh...poo poo...I need to save my money. I really need to save my money.

There's also a 20% off coupon you should be able to apply to it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

doctor thodt posted:

There's also a 20% off coupon you should be able to apply to it.

The only one I know about is the $5 off one. I might just be an idiot though and be missing something.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fat Lou posted:

The only one I know about is the $5 off one. I might just be an idiot though and be missing something.

U8K3U4A should get you 20% off if you have a new account. Some people have reported that it's not working for them, but if that's the case, there are plenty of 15% coupon codes floating around.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Gah, I actually hate these sales. It forces me to agonize over the distinction between "movies I like" and "movies I need to own" (not to mention "movies I need to own, but might be announced on Blu-Ray any day now"). If I had more money and more space, I'd just gleefully add titles to my cart.

Right now the only one I'm sure about is Le Doulos, but I'm considering George Washington and For All Mankind.

plateau need ROIDS!
Apr 14, 2009
Anyone have the Monsters and Madmen set? I was thinking about buying it although I haven't seen any of the movies in it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The sale is running on their site now. I just picked up blurays of The Leopard, Yojimbo, 400 Blows, Stagecoach, and M for about $100.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Hmm, the B&N website doesn't include The Life Aquatic in the sale for some reason.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

You can buy the 2-disc Life Aquatic from Amazon for $20 anyways.

I decided to go ahead and order the five BluRay replacement cases... since The Third Man and The Man Who Fell to Earth are OOP, I might as well get them protected for the future.

Looks like The Red Shoes and Black Narcissus (both Blu) are the only locked in B&N buys so far. I'm on the fence with Make Way for Tomorrow, the EAH Wild Strawberries, and My Dinner with Andre. Sort of want M, Stagecoach, and 8 1/2, but I don't want to re-buy until I sell my DVDs.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

You can buy the 2-disc Life Aquatic from Amazon for $20 anyways.
It ended up being on sale in-store & cheaper than that but mine is missing the fold-out insert mentioned on the back… I guess I'll have to return it.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
The Beastie Boys Video Anthology and The Rock also don't have a discount online (don't judge me :colbert: ).

Picked up F For Fake, Sisters, Burden of Dreams, and Blus of Wages of Fear, Red Shoes, and Black Narcissus.

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Anyone who would judge you for liking the Beastie Boys is a complete rear end in a top hat

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The Rock is a guilty pleasure of mine too, it's paced so well and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I'd love to see a Criterion version of Terminator 2 too. :)

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

drat it, I forgot this was coming and bought the following blus in the recent weeks: M, red Desert and Everlasting Moments through Amazon.

Oh well, might pick The Leopard and the Pedro Costa boxset. Also been meaning to check The Spirit of the Beehive, does that come recommended around here?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The movie or the disc? That movie's wonderful, if you haven't seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I found a B&N gift card that I'd long since forgotten about and managed to get Play Time and Walkabout for $3 and change.

Thinking about going back this weekend and grabbing Kagemusha and The Man Who Fell to Earth.