Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003

Astroturf Man posted:

Not that I'm aware of because while DX1 is made with the lovely UnrealEngine which is quite easy to mod DX2 is made with some proprietary piece of poo poo they coded up themselves.

I could have sworn they used the same engine Thief 3 did.
Thief 3 was a good game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Incoherence posted:

the silo is nothing but him somehow lining up a LAW to kill Howard Strong without even opening the hatch, and at the end he skips the whole last area by [/spoiler]

LAWs create their projectile slightly infront of you, so with thin doors or hatches you can fire and the rocket will get created past it. This happens on the wall cloud on the helipad also.

quote:

somehow hitting the reactor button without needing to flip the switches, then killing himself with a rocket for some reason I wasn't quite sure of.

There's a tiny gap you can reach the button through (you can also do this to kill page the second you set foot in sector 4).

quote:

Invisible War tries to combine all the endings of Deus Ex. I actually think that was one of the better ideas.

I must say I disagree, using any one of the endings should preclude any of the others. If JC sided with Everett, then exploding Area 51 would do no good and hamper their ability to rule (understatement of the century); likewise if he blew up Area 51 then siding with the Illuminati would be futile. Helios would be crippled if not entirely destroyed by Area 51 blowing up, and after merging with JC would be retarded to kill the infrastructure it is relying on to 'administer the world'.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

I must say I disagree, using any one of the endings should preclude any of the others. If JC sided with Everett, then exploding Area 51 would do no good and hamper their ability to rule (understatement of the century); likewise if he blew up Area 51 then siding with the Illuminati would be futile. Helios would be crippled if not entirely destroyed by Area 51 blowing up, and after merging with JC would be retarded to kill the infrastructure it is relying on to 'administer the world'.

He doesn't side with Everett -he merges with Helios, but the resulting load causes the generator to overheat and blow Area 51 up, which while it cripples JC+Helios doesn't actually kill him. Everett decides to pick the pieces up - hence, you have the new Dark Ages with the Illuminati ruling from the shadows while JC+Helios have merged but can't make the world into a utopia because the grid is down.

It's actually pretty neat.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Cool Hand Leukemia posted:

Invisible War uses (a heavily modified, according to Wikipedia) Unreal Engine 2.

Quetzal-Coital posted:

There's a story about it somewhere, but essentially the engine that IW uses only shares about 5-10% of the codebase with UE2. They did start out by licensing the engine, and then hired a guy to make the modifications to it that they required -- things like the persistent world and so on IIRC. The guy basically ignored their actual requirements and instead spent a number of months rewriting gigantic chunks of the rendering engine to add dynamic lighting and shadowing and I think some character stuff, then quit/was fired/otherwise fell off the face of the map. So the rest of the team was stuck with this almost completely new, totally undocumented and unoptimized engine that didn't even implement the features they had asked for, and spent a lot of the rest of the development cycle trying to work around it and figure out how to still make the game they wanted to.

So if you have to blame someone for IW, blame that engine programmer.

FOOD!!!
Nov 27, 2002

Captain of the Assboat

Quetzal-Coital posted:

They did use the same engine.

Wikipedia on Thief: Deadly Shadows posted:

Unlike the original two titles, Deadly Shadows was developed simultaneously for Microsoft Windows and the Xbox. The game is powered by a heavily-modified and tweaked version of Unreal Engine 2, which Ion Storm had previously used in Deus Ex: Invisible War.

If I recall correctly they added in stuff like dynamic shadows, normal mapping, and physics based audio (object sliding vs. impacting a surface). Which is sort of funny now because all of those features are part of UE3. I guess Epic takes notice of developer requirements.

Edit:

orange lime posted:

...totally undocumented ... engine...
This has been my experience with Unreal Engine 3/UDK so far. Documentation is either lacking, says what is in the tool tips, or is out of date with the current build. You're lucky to find something pertinent to what you're trying to accomplish even if you're a licensee on the UDN. I'm not justifying what he did on their project, but it seems to be the industry standard or at least following Epic's example...

FOOD!!! fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 7, 2010

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

KillHour posted:

http://img.waffleimages.com/d8a8faf47d00000f28e29b0e876882b90da67784/Incendiary Grenade.png

I expect to see WP grenades in the next release. :colbert:
Awesome, thanks. It still needs icons, though.

Mike the TV posted:

Shifter gimps the DTS to do 5x20 damage instead of 100. This sucks because you can no longer just chop down most doors.
Nope, that's how it worked in the original game. All Shifter did was change the description to be more accurate.

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

It's funny that they kept saying that they combined the endings, because they really didn't. What they actually did was go with the Helios ending, and then tack on loose approximations of what happened in the others afterward. It makes more sense than all 3 endings somehow being true at once, but it's still pretty contrived.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Quetzal-Coital posted:

Is there anything that makes that game tolerable to actually play?
I (tried) playing DX:IW. And here is my seriouspost which will echo what everyone else will say:

There is no patch to fix the piece-of-poo poo game engine and no patch to fix the loading zones every 50 meters, just play Bioshock 2 or something

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Lork posted:

Awesome, thanks

Oh my god. That's fantastic. I'm considering doing a pyro LP and I want those grenades so bad. And maybe a peppergun that also sets people on fire. And a baton that sets people on fire.

Would it be possible to make concussive explosives? Like, essentially a LAM that knocks people out? I understand if you aren't taking any more ideas and are done coding. It's just fun to dream.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lork posted:

Awesome, thanks.
I will play the entire game again if I can find these in it.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Christoph posted:

Oh my god. That's fantastic. I'm considering doing a pyro LP and I want those grenades so bad. And maybe a peppergun that also sets people on fire. And a baton that sets people on fire.

Would it be possible to make concussive explosives? Like, essentially a LAM that knocks people out? I understand if you aren't taking any more ideas and are done coding. It's just fun to dream.

The incendiary grenade is awesome, but I'd replay the entire game with 1 or 2 of the above.

There is only so much inventory space :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Make icons then see if the Shifter or Biomod guys are game for including them in their next update.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a way to configure Biomod's inventory handling? I don't want to pick up guns I'm not gonna use dammit, just ammo/grenades/keys/tools :argh:

E:

This is so awesome. The phone call at the airport, throwing combat knives at dudes, so awesome.
Phone call in the who and the what now?

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Phone call in the who and the what now?

There's a deleted piece of content restored in the airport terminal at LaGuardia. If it's even what he was talking about, right when you get to the area with one of the barrels of vaccine, a beige compound with two halves, some ammo boxes, and a helicopter landing pad outside, there's a spot where you can hack some computers in there. Next to one is a phone. There's a number on one of the computers. You put that number into the phone when prompted, and it plays a phone call between two characters which is pretty sweet. Not going to spoil it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ansob. posted:

Make icons then see if the Shifter or Biomod guys are game for including them in their next update.

That is the biomod guy. :ssh:

Anyways, you can make the icons by just loading the model in the editor and taking a screenshot. I'd do it, but I'm not at home right now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

That is the biomod guy. :ssh:

:aaaaa:

WP grenades better be in the next version of Biomod, then. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ansob. posted:

:aaaaa:

WP grenades better be in the next version of Biomod, then. :colbert:

I'd imagine it will be. It just needs icons, which I guess I'll do when I get home.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 8, 2010

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

puffycloud posted:

There's a deleted piece of content restored in the airport terminal at LaGuardia. If it's even what he was talking about, right when you get to the area with one of the barrels of vaccine, a beige compound with two halves, some ammo boxes, and a helicopter landing pad outside, there's a spot where you can hack some computers in there. Next to one is a phone. There's a number on one of the computers. You put that number into the phone when prompted, and it plays a phone call between two characters which is pretty sweet. Not going to spoil it.
Is that the conversation between Lebedev and another guy about turning JC? :aaaaa:

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Is that the conversation between Lebedev and another guy about turning JC? :aaaaa:

Yeah, or killing him

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

I thought that was a part of the regular game but I guess it's been so long since I last played it I forgot it wasn't there. So cool.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Grr, I can't get any model viewers to play nice with the format. Can you send me a screenshot of it in-game, and I'll just crop the drat thing?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

puffycloud posted:

Yeah that's the one. It's the computer you login with etodd/saintmary (holy gently caress am I a nerd) and the special options menu pops up. Enable VoIP tools or some poo poo. Then :words: and :aaaaa:

Also, more EMP tools in Biomod would be cool :shobon: One of my buddies a looong time ago made some EMP throwing knives that I loved bunches.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
20mm gas grenades
flare darts with lock-on
shocklock door-breaching shotgun rounds
gel rounds for the sniper rifle
an assault rifle that shoots CS pepperballs
taser pistol
roid rage grenade: a scrambler grenade for biological lifeforms

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Does ballistic protection protect you from plasma rounds? :ohdear:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Does ballistic protection protect you from plasma rounds? :ohdear:

No, you need Energy Shield.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Frankosity posted:

No, you need Energy Shield.

Which shares a canister with regeneration meaning that you're unlikely to get it until Area 51 if you're sane.

If I recall correctly you can stop plasma rounds with Aggressive Defense. Is this correct or am I off my meds again?

Astroturf Man fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 9, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is there any place to pick up regeneration prior to your escape from the MJ12 base? I've never found one (or really desperately needed one I guess) but it would be nice to have.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

I just ran into Simons at Area 51 and delivered the best JC burn. That line was hilarious.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there any place to pick up regeneration prior to your escape from the MJ12 base? I've never found one (or really desperately needed one I guess) but it would be nice to have.
You mean the one under Liberty Island?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Under????????

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Astroturf Man posted:

Which shares a canister with regeneration meaning that you're unlikely to get it until Area 51 if you're sane.

If I recall correctly you can stop plasma rounds with Aggressive Defense. Is this correct or am I off my meds again?

Aggressive Defense (in the vanilla game, at least) will stop any projectile, including grenades, flamethrowers and darts. I think Shifter sets it to only detonate grenades and rockets.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Male Man posted:

Aggressive Defense (in the vanilla game, at least) will stop any projectile, including grenades, flamethrowers and darts. I think Shifter sets it to only detonate grenades and rockets.

Awesome. I played through with Shifter recently and was unpleasantly surprised when my Aggressive Defense did gently caress all against plasma (hence my confusion).

In Training posted:

Under????????

I think he's referring to the location of the MJ12 base, not suggesting that there's a regen aug canister under liberty island in the first level.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Yeah I was referring to the base itself sorry about the confusion. By the way I'm trying to tranquilize Simons in Area 51 but the fucker just won't go down. Alternatives?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Christoph posted:

Yeah, I'm on the cusp of releasing a new version with some pretty big changes, but after that I think I'm going to be done with BioMod for the near future, other than fixing any outstanding bugs that pop up. Have no fear though, you'll get your WP grenades.

KillHour posted:

Grr, I can't get any model viewers to play nice with the format. Can you send me a screenshot of it in-game, and I'll just crop the drat thing?
Will this do?

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Yeah I was referring to the base itself sorry about the confusion. By the way I'm trying to tranquilize Simons in Area 51 but the fucker just won't go down. Alternatives?
Like most of the boss type enemies in the game, Simons can't be knocked out. If you absolutely must leave him alive, you'll have to evade him.

Edit: Or not. Apparently he can be hurt by tranquilizer darts, but he has massive amounts of health and takes 10% damage from them. So, uh, good luck with that.

Lork fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 9, 2010

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Ah well that's what I figured but someone mentioned tranquilizing him to the point of having him run off like a bitch shouting at you.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
A grenade that sets off "sleeping" gas would be pretty cool. Just sayin'!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Yeah, that one. Your present.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I wonder how much work it would take to code up a remote camera LAM.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

You would make Sam Fisher proud if you did that :911:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lork posted:

Yeah, I'm on the cusp of releasing a new version with some pretty big changes, but after that I think I'm going to be done with BioMod for the near future, other than fixing any outstanding bugs that pop up. Have no fear though, you'll get your WP grenades.

Will this do?

Close enough for government work.

quote:

Like most of the boss type enemies in the game, Simons can't be knocked out. If you absolutely must leave him alive, you'll have to evade him.

Edit: Or not. Apparently he can be hurt by tranquilizer darts, but he has massive amounts of health and takes 10% damage from them. So, uh, good luck with that.

Thanks, now I have to replay this game so I can carry Simons' unconscious body to Area 51 and drop him in front of Bob Page. "Here's your bitch, Page."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

KillHour posted:

Thanks, now I have to replay this game so I can carry Simons' unconscious body to Area 51 and drop him in front of Bob Page. "Here's your bitch, Page."

I always liked trying to position Howard Strong's body directly on top of the silo doors so that he'd get stuck on top of the missile as it launches.

"Looks like I win this round, too"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I just finally got around to this series during the Steam sale (it wasn't on Sale, but I figured "hey, I've got the credit card out anyway") and all I can say is wow. DX1 is awesome, hands down, and as long as you don't try to treat it like a true successor to the first game the second one is pretty great too.