Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Reading the names of the colleges those kids had their ways paid through made me smile

Colgate snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Lykourgos posted:

But that would still be a fail, unless there were some questions where you hit a 5 or 6 to compensate. Are you allowed to make up the poor score on the essay portion with a good MPE score?

Yes, but because Maryland weights the MBE at 25% and the essays at 75% (or something like that I believe) it's a lot easier to simply get a couple of your essays 1 point higher.

The exact formula depends because the precise multiplier for weighting depends on the aggregate MBE score after it is scaled.

But yes, a few MBE questions above average can make up for a point down on your essay. However, it rapidly spirals out of control. If you're more than 3 or 4 points down on your essay, you're simply not going to be able to get the 20+ MBE questions beyond everyone else in order to make it up.

I guess the lesson is that on the easier essay questions, you should rack up points and try for 6's, while on the harder questions, you just need to make sure you get at least a 4, and try to limit yourself to no more than one or two 3's.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

SWATJester posted:

Yes, but because Maryland weights the MBE at 25% and the essays at 75% (or something like that I believe) it's a lot easier to simply get a couple of your essays 1 point higher.

The exact formula depends because the precise multiplier for weighting depends on the aggregate MBE score after it is scaled.

But yes, a few MBE questions above average can make up for a point down on your essay. However, it rapidly spirals out of control. If you're more than 3 or 4 points down on your essay, you're simply not going to be able to get the 20+ MBE questions beyond everyone else in order to make it up.

I guess the lesson is that on the easier essay questions, you should rack up points and try for 6's, while on the harder questions, you just need to make sure you get at least a 4, and try to limit yourself to no more than one or two 3's.

This is why I just threw myself into brute-force memorization mode for most of my bar preparation time and a "get as many points as possible on everything," because I couldn't count on working smart or being consciously efficient with my effort. I did a lot of essay practice so that efficient IRACing came naturally, but in the end I spent probably 80-90% of my study time on trying to cram as much law into my brain as possible.

It was sad how much more intellectually and academically rewarding for me BarBRI felt than actual law school.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

TyChan posted:

It was sad how much more intellectually and academically rewarding for me BarBRI felt than actual law school.

Indeed. I put together a bar course presentation on corporate law for my boss and it basically covered all of the important stuff from an entire semester of Business Associations in 20 slides. Looking back on law school, if there wasn't always a chance that the final exam wanted some obscure case history and/or commentary, bar prep stuff would have been superior to any other study aid.

edit: letter of reference finally came. An hour after I (snail-)mailed off my first applications. :negative:

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

TyChan posted:

$40k in New York City will get you a crappy studio in Manhattan and will get better housing out in the boroughs, although it'll be hard to live on your own without living way out in the less desirable boroughs. You better be good with roommates or else life is going to get cramped. I was making $50k and living on my own in Manhattan, but it was definitely wearing on me after 2 years given the spaces available to me and the inflationary pressures on rent.

Yeah but that kid from the article was going to work in Worcester, MA, where you can get a nice apartment for $800/month

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

_areaman posted:

Yeah but that kid from the article was going to work in Worcester, MA, where you can get a nice apartment for $800/month

Yeah, the guy they decided to use as the anecdotal heart of the article was problematic. The guy had decent reasons for saying no to the job, but he's not a very sympathetic figure and I'm sure the writer could have found someone else in a more common position (such as having to deal with student debts and not from a rich family).

This is basically the big judgment call that most graduates of any school are going to face if the economy doesn't pick back up. Even law. Are you going to be able to stomach what's available or do you go back to school and hope that it all works out and that you don't just graduate with more of the same?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Man, I'm staying at home for six weeks just because I'm in between leases and to busy bar studying to move, and I don't know why anyone older than 20 would do this voluntarily. Even if money is tight, a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate is infinitely preferable socially and psychologically. Hell, I'll be making midlaw money in Houston and I was even giving some thought to splitting an apartment with a friend for the first year just so I can sock some savings away.

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.

diospadre posted:

I remember sitting in the Commercial Paper and Secured Transactions lectures and thinking that there would be no way I'd have any loving clue as to what they were talking about if I didn't actually take those classes.
I was one of those people who took "International Human Rights Law" and "Pierre Schlag and the Postmodern Turn in American Jurisprudence" instead of real classes this past year. Now I'm paying for it.

But I can't say I regret it. Those courses were a blast. I should have gone to grad school.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Just found out I'm facebook friends with a future SCOTUS clerk, yeah im kind of a big deal

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Linguica posted:

Just found out I'm facebook friends with a future SCOTUS clerk, yeah im kind of a big deal
During my summer associateship, I was office mates with two future supreme court clerks.

No big deal.

e: Of course, I had no idea at the time.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Don't they teach the concept of opportunity cost at Colgate? A $40k a year claims adjuster job may not make for a fantastic career, but it beats the hell out of earning $0 a year and sponging off his parents.

Plus, what the gently caress kind of job does he expect when he graduated two years ago with a generic liberal arts degree and no serious job experience? Does he really expect to land a $75k+ job from occasionally spamming Monster.com when there are thousands of more qualified applicants doing the exact same thing?

My guess is that to avoid offending his upper middle class sensibilities by getting a job that's beneath him, he'll double down and shoot for an even more useless advanced degree like a PhD in art appreciation or something. "Grad student" sounds so much more prestigious "terminally unemployed."

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 8, 2010

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

7StoryFall posted:

The IRS is interviewing at my school for both 2Ls and 3Ls. That suggests there are openings. Or will be, next summer, at least.

Are you going to apply to them? I think I'm going to apply to every federal employer in DC, NY, and on campus OCI.

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004
I'm having a really hard time trying to decide between Boalt and Columbia as a transfer. Boalt would be cheaper as I am in-state, and I want to practice in California. On the other hand I feel the greed for lay prestige making me want to go to Columbia instead. Is this a good idea?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Elotana posted:

Man, I'm staying at home for six weeks just because I'm in between leases and to busy bar studying to move, and I don't know why anyone older than 20 would do this voluntarily. Even if money is tight, a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate is infinitely preferable socially and psychologically. Hell, I'll be making midlaw money in Houston and I was even giving some thought to splitting an apartment with a friend for the first year just so I can sock some savings away.

I'm house sitting my parent's place while I wait for my brother to get back to town so we can get a place. Technically not living with my parents. Also, technically my bedroom isn't quite in the basement (but it's close).

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

methamphetamine posted:

I'm having a really hard time trying to decide between Boalt and Columbia as a transfer. Boalt would be cheaper as I am in-state, and I want to practice in California. On the other hand I feel the greed for lay prestige making me want to go to Columbia instead. Is this a good idea?

Columbia is making offers now? God loving drat it, I'm still not complete there yet thanks to the great gently caress up at my school.

My advice? Don't go to either, withdraw the offer, and help me out.

And btw its :siren: TRANSFER CHAT :siren: when we talkin bout this here game

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Go to Cal you noob

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

methamphetamine posted:

Boalt's a great school and if you're planning to practice in California I don't see why you'd pass up the opportunity to go there. As for lay prestige (why does that matter?), just tell them you went to Berkeley's law school. They'll be impressed.

edit:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Go to Cal you noob

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

sigmachiev posted:

And btw its :siren: TRANSFER CHAT :siren: when we talkin bout this here game

Heh. I run the transferapps group. Literally run it, the old owner made me an admin cause he graduated and didn't have time for that poo poo anymore.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
literally have never heard of "boalt", am still :lol:'ing at the ridiculous sounding name. expect this reaction from anybody you try to impress in the future with your stupid sounding school name

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Lykourgos posted:

literally have never heard of "boalt", am still :lol:'ing at the ridiculous sounding name. expect this reaction from anybody you try to impress in the future with your stupid sounding school name
Apparently it's now officially "Berkeley Law" anyway.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seriously, saying "I went to Boalt" is like labeling yourself a pencil neck chode. Go to Cal and when people ask you where you went tell them "Cal" or "UC Berkeley" if they're not from California.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SWATJester posted:

Heh. I run the transferapps group. Literally run it, the old owner made me an admin cause he graduated and didn't have time for that poo poo anymore.

Yeah, I remember hitting you up when I noticed TLS's transfer forum was crying about not having a 2010 database entry (please do not beat me for saying I browsed that forum). It's a nice thing you do. We should talk about finding a successor if you're sick of it.

As for Cal/Berkeley/Boalt I remember reading an article in some paper about Cal moving away from Boalt to Berkeley Law so even the school itself wanted the re-brand.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 8, 2010

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

Are you going to apply to them? I think I'm going to apply to every federal employer in DC, NY, and on campus OCI.

Yes, but I expect that if I get it that there will be another opening in 3-5 years.

I hear you can have guns in DC now.

Oakdale
Jan 7, 2008
let's dualize
So I've decided to get a joint degree in Agricultural and Resource Economics in addition to a JD with a heavy focus on environmental policy, hopefully I can get a job at the EPA in 4 years. I'm still pretty depressed about my future though, don't worry!

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Oakdale posted:

So I've decided to get a joint degree in Agricultural and Resource Economics in addition to a JD with a heavy focus on environmental policy, hopefully I can get a job at the EPA in 4 years. I'm still pretty depressed about my future though, don't worry!

:rolleyes: Come on. If you're going to troll, at least put more effort into it. Come back when this thread is on #14.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Boalt is pretty bad as a name, but at least there's no "indiana" anywhere in it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SWATJester posted:

Check in the Federal Jobs thread in A/T, we have an IRS goon there.

I'm in both threads!

Ersatz posted:

So one of my friends has a strong interest in tax law, lives in DC, and thinks she might enjoy working for the IRS. I remember some chatter earlier in the thread about open entry-level positions requiring an accounting background. She has her JD, a degree in economics, and some accounting coursework. If those positions are still open, do any of the IRS people in the thread know if that might get her in the door? Thanks in advance.

When you say strong interest in tax law, what do you mean precisely? Does she want to work as an attorney, or just pursue general tax work? If it's the former, then her choice is to get into counsel. If it's the latter, there are plenty of other choices to look into.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

methamphetamine posted:

California attorney advice.
Go to Boalt if you want to be a California lawyer. You'll have this thing called an alumni network.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

When you say strong interest in tax law, what do you mean precisely? Does she want to work as an attorney, or just pursue general tax work? If it's the former, then her choice is to get into counsel. If it's the latter, there are plenty of other choices to look into.
Thanks for the reply! Her primary goal is to become an attorney, but she had to pay her own way for law school and would be willing to do something else in the meantime if it qualifies for IBR and might conceivably help her towards that goal. She's taken a few tax law classes, really enjoyed them, and has stated an interest in working for the IRS.

Luckily, she also has a degree in electrical engineering and might have a shot at becoming an examiner with the PTO through their current announcement. But, having dealt with their HR department before, I think the smart thing for her to do would be to apply for any agency job related to her interests that wouldn't permanently handicap her ability to find work as an attorney if and when the economy turns around.

From what people were saying at the beginning of this thread it sounded like there were opportunities at the IRS that might fit that description, and given her interest I thought I'd try to find to find out if they were still out there.

I'd really appreciate any pointers you might have that could be relayed.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Lykourgos posted:

high class posting itt

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

sigmachiev posted:

Yeah, I remember hitting you up when I noticed TLS's transfer forum was crying about not having a 2010 database entry (please do not beat me for saying I browsed that forum). It's a nice thing you do. We should talk about finding a successor if you're sick of it.

As for Cal/Berkeley/Boalt I remember reading an article in some paper about Cal moving away from Boalt to Berkeley Law so even the school itself wanted the re-brand.

I think only the original founder can do that, but if I can get in touch with him I'll ask someone else to take charge. I don't mind running it at the moment though.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I wish my grades were better.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

fougera posted:

I wish my grades were better.

If it makes you feel any better I'm pretty sure none of the firms at OCI are actually hiring anyway.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I like my boss and I like getting to write motions and everything but the slip n' falls and auto poo poo is starting to wear on me, I spend half the day every day on the phony with insurance adjusters and defense lawyers and the other half doing mindless office work.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Solution: switch over to defense.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

It's pretty common within legal circles to identify it as "Boalt" or "Berkeley" or "Cal Berkeley" or whatever. It's just like saying "Kellogg" or "Sloan" when identifying business schools since all these graduate schools are pretty self-contained and separated from the main universities.

No one really cares because no matter which name you use. They will know it's a good school.

Green Crayons posted:

Solution: switch over to defense.

Take it from a guy who works in insurance law. Switching to defense isn't going to change anything as far as dealing with bullshit adjusters and general tort-related histrionics.

However, J Miracle, if you haven't already planned on this, you should try to get out of auto stuff as soon as possible. It's a bit of a trap and, for pretty snobby and stupid reasons, other litigation practice areas view it as a red flag.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

TyChan posted:

However, J Miracle, if you haven't already planned on this, you should try to get out of auto stuff as soon as possible. It's a bit of a trap and, for pretty snobby and stupid reasons, other litigation practice areas view it as a red flag.

Welp I mean it's a summer job, I tried the big and midlaw firms and got bupkiss, 15 OCI bids, 15 interviews, 8 callbacks, 0 jobs, plus any number of direct-send rejections and phone interviews that went nowhere. I'm lucky enough to have a paid job anywhere and I'm learning a lot about small practice management and Michigan civil procedure. But yeah this is not the kind of work I want to do as a practicing attorney.

Lol I just realized I wrote "on the phony"

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

TyChan posted:

It's pretty common within legal circles to identify it as "Boalt" or "Berkeley" or "Cal Berkeley" or whatever. It's just like saying "Kellogg" or "Sloan" when identifying business schools since all these graduate schools are pretty self-contained and separated from the main universities.

No one really cares because no matter which name you use. They will know it's a good school.

no im pretty sure it's common within legal circles to make fun of the name "Boalt" and then move on to a better topic than which specific institution stole your student loans

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
:siren: TRANSFER CHAT :siren:

Got Berkeley this morning myself yeeeeeeeeeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sigmachiev posted:

:siren: TRANSFER CHAT :siren:

Got Berkeley this morning myself yeeeeeeeeeeee!
congrats, fucker