Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ddraig posted:

I'd like to see an alternate version of the Shield where Dutch didn't go into law enforcement and became the kind of holier than thou psychopath he was always itching to be.

Have you seen Sons of Anarchy?

If not, why not? And that goes for everyone in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think one of my favourite moments is when Dutch finally cracks his real first case there, and everyone applauds.

Then he goes in the bathroom and cries. :smith:

Oh well, the first part was good.

That's Dragonchasers. There's also some developments with Connie's story in there (as hinted by the episode name.)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I don't think Season 1 was the weakest. I really don't like Season 4. I mean, yes lots of things of legitimate substance occurred, but it still ultimately felt like it was spinning wheels. I never really liked Glenn Close's character either. I know its cliche to always have a captain that basically is antagonistic to Vic, but I never bought Close's character nor did I like how they basically abruptly closed out her story arc.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Junkenstein posted:

Have you seen Sons of Anarchy?

If not, why not? And that goes for everyone in this thread.

Been there, done that... have the gang tag.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Is the Season 5 finale the best season finale of any TV show?

I, and apparently a lot of you, have had a strong reaction to that episode.

I've never had a reaction to a tv show or movie before or since that came anywhere near it.

ruddiger posted:

This loving drives me nuts. I have Seasons 2-5 on DVD. TWO THROUGH loving FIVE. I want to get my roommate started on the Shield

Start at season 2? Or since you seem to have netflix, use it? One way or another do your roommate this favor.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
So the creator of The Shield, Shawn Ryan did a script contest on twitter and is sending 10 people a signed copy of a The Shield, The Unit, or Lie to Me script depending on what you want.

I am one of those 10 people. Wooooooo.

I'm wondering what script it'll be.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

soggybagel posted:

I don't think Season 1 was the weakest. I really don't like Season 4. I mean, yes lots of things of legitimate substance occurred, but it still ultimately felt like it was spinning wheels. I never really liked Glenn Close's character either. I know its cliche to always have a captain that basically is antagonistic to Vic, but I never bought Close's character nor did I like how they basically abruptly closed out her story arc.

I agree that season 1 was good, I think there's too much of a tendency to instantly rate serial TV over episodic TV these days, regardless of the quality of each. I thought The Shield was best as an absolutely breakneck episodic show with ongoing plot threads, and not the slog it turned into in seasons 6 and 7.

Season 5 did kick rear end, though, though it was kinda the beginning of the end as far as pacing went.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Season 4 is my favorite, if only because it's the last time we get to see Lem in action before he gets hit with the IAD poo poo. :smith:

I originally thought Season 6 was the weakest, but it was needed in order to set the state for the epic closure that was 7. Viewed in one big narrative, it's like that last second breath before the knockout blow. loving superb.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
Just started watching this show, on Episode 3 of Season 2. I gotta say I love it, I love shows that aren't black and white/good vs evil. Although Vic does good things, or has good intentions, I love how he's not a clear cut hero. As someone that loved The Wire, and it's philosophies, I kinda see Vic as a guy that's trying to do good based on what he was taught, and his circumstances.

I'm curious though, is the general consensus about Vic good or bad? I mean by just watching his actions he might seem bad (and I heard he gets worse throughout the seasons) but right now I see him as a guy with good intentions that makes mistakes in a job that presents a lot of opportunities for mistakes.

I'm glad the show had at least one do-gooder (Dutch) to root for.

Edit: does the guy with the mustache (on strike team) ever get a major roll, I seriously only think I've heard him say "Alright, boss!". Even Lem has had some minor points in arcs.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

TUS posted:

Oh to be able to watch this series for the first time again :smith:

Seriously. I remember a scene in the David Fincher movie The Game. Michael Douglas is being hosed with by some company that claims to run some sort of real life adventure game but is really ripping him off. In the end they completely gently caress with him until he loses his mind. He thinks a women he loved betrayed, he lost 600 million dollars, etc. So he tries to kill himself. He jumps off a building and lands on a giant cushion surrounded by all his families and friends who throw a party for him. It turns out it was all a game, and he had the adventure and time of his life. The scene I'm talking about is when Michael Douglas runs into some people who have also expierenced the "game" and one says something like " Oh how I envy you, to be in the middle of your first game."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Valuum posted:

I'm curious though, is the general consensus about Vic good or bad? I mean by just watching his actions he might seem bad (and I heard he gets worse throughout the seasons) but right now I see him as a guy with good intentions that makes mistakes in a job that presents a lot of opportunities for mistakes.

Edit: does the guy with the mustache (on strike team) ever get a major roll, I seriously only think I've heard him say "Alright, boss!". Even Lem has had some minor points in arcs.

He is bad. I mean he straight up murdered a fellow police officer in the first episode. He may have been a "rat" but that does not mean he should have committed premeditated murder. And they guy Ronnie does get a bigger role and a beard.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

The Valuum posted:

Just started watching this show, on Episode 3 of Season 2. I gotta say I love it, I love shows that aren't black and white/good vs evil. Although Vic does good things, or has good intentions, I love how he's not a clear cut hero. As someone that loved The Wire, and it's philosophies, I kinda see Vic as a guy that's trying to do good based on what he was taught, and his circumstances.

Wait until you watch all the seasons. Vic and Shane are unquestionably despicable examples of human beings. I won't say much about Ronnie or Lem to avoid spoiling anything, but Lem is probably the only one out of all of them with some kind of moral center, as opposed to the consequentialism that the rest of the team seems to make all their decisions by.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think one of my favourite moments is when Dutch finally cracks his real first case there, and everyone applauds.

Then he goes in the bathroom and cries. :smith:

Oh well, the first part was good.

I love that all the other cops are gathered around the television watching the interview to laugh at how inept Dutch is and instead they watch him take the smug killer apart piece by piece and are left in utter awe of him and give him that heartfelt applause.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Jerusalem posted:

I love that all the other cops are gathered around the television watching the interview to laugh at how inept Dutch is and instead they watch him take the smug killer apart piece by piece and are left in utter awe of him and give him that heartfelt applause.

The look on Shane's face is priceless.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Jerusalem posted:

drat I wish this one on youtube. I totally forgot it and need to watch it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

The Valuum posted:

Your opinion will probably change season to season and even sometimes episode to episode, but there's no taking back the events of the pilot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I finally sat down and watched through all 7 seasons pretty fast, what an amazing series. I did get a huge kick out of
s7 spoiler
the city Corrine & kids move to is Rockford, the same city as where that serial killer was from.

Gonna recommend this to everyone I know.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

mastershakeman posted:

I finally sat down and watched through all 7 seasons pretty fast, what an amazing series. I did get a huge kick out of
s7 spoiler
the city Corrine & kids move to is Rockford, the same city as where that serial killer was from.

Gonna recommend this to everyone I know.

Also the city Shawn Ryan is from :ssh:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

User-Friendly posted:

Also the city Shawn Ryan is from :ssh:

That explains how he knew where it was, and why the serial killer's response about it being 'its own city' was so perfect. I'm from near there too and everyone thinks it's a suburb :mad:

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
Watched all seven seasons of this over the past two months.

Once you get past the super cheesy font used in the titles and the show opening screen, this is a pretty phenomenal series with probably one of the most satisfying endings of anything I've ever seen on TV.

It's not The Sopranos and it's not The Wire, but it's not trying to be. It is a seven-season serial drama that focuses on a handful of main characters and how they affect those around them. Great stuff.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Ddraig posted:

I'd like to see an alternate version of the Shield where Dutch didn't go into law enforcement and became the kind of holier than thou psychopath he was always itching to be.

Burn Notice came pretty close to this for a small arc where he played a bank robber. Not a psychopathic killer but the "I'm smarter than everyone" persona so tied to Dutch.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

The last couple pages got me dusting up my Shield collection. Unfortunately, at some point I lost Season 1. But starting with S2 is just fine for me.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I'm watching through this show for the first time, just finished season 5.

I have to say, that ending was one of the most retarded things I've ever seen in a TV show and it's making me reconsider watching the last 2 seasons, despite the rest of season 5 being so good. It's even worse than how they handled Terry in the first episode. Completely unbelievable.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Scissorfighter posted:

I'm watching through this show for the first time, just finished season 5.

I have to say, that ending was one of the most retarded things I've ever seen in a TV show and it's making me reconsider watching the last 2 seasons, despite the rest of season 5 being so good. It's even worse than how they handled Terry in the first episode. Completely unbelievable.

Troll unsuccessful!

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

redz posted:

Troll unsuccessful!

How is it a troll not to like an otherwise excellent show to have the most contrived conclusion possible? Both this and the Terry situation required otherwise smart people to make the worst decision they could have.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wait did you just say Shane was smart? He always choose the stupidest way out of any of his problems. The Terry thing was not stupid once you realize that Vic will do anything to protect his "spot". He saw him as a threat so he had to go.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Wait did you just say Shane was smart? He always choose the stupidest way out of any of his problems. The Terry thing was not stupid once you realize that Vic will do anything to protect his "spot". He saw him as a threat so he had to go.

Shane is stupid, sure, but the way it goes down just felt forced to me. No questions were asked, everything was assumed on his part, and he acted almost immediately. Also, it was contrived that they'd tail Ronnie and not Shane if they only had 2 vehicles. They needed Shane alone with Lem and forced the story to get them there, and forced the drama bomb.

With Terry, it just didn't fit Vic's character post-pilot, and I know I'm not alone in thinking that. He spends the rest of the series dealing with rats by discrediting or putting pressure on them. Julian was a rat and he became friends with him, even.

I also have a fear that season 6 is just going to be one big repeat of the Tavon story.

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 5, 2010

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shane always acted on impulse. When doing anything he just asked what would Vic do. This is what got him in the world of poo poo with Avon Mitchell. Ya he never did kill a rat after Terry but he sort of learned from the experience. He was is so much trouble from that he did not want to risk it again. Also how can you say he was friends with Julian who he blackmailed. Also they where following Ronnie and Vic because they believed they where the one that Lem would most likely get in contact with.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 5, 2010

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Shane always acted on impulse. When doing anything he just asked what would Vic do. This is what got him in the world of poo poo with Avon Mitchell. Ya he never did kill a rat after Terry but he sort of learned from the experience. He was is so much trouble from that he did not want to risk it again. Also how can you say he was friends with Julian who he blackmailed. Also they where following Ronnie and Vic because they believed they where the one that Lem would most likely get in contact with.

I meant later with Julian, the best example being "posse up"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A grenade in a car is extreme, yes, but... that's why I watch shows like The Shield. It's mostly realistic, but if it wasn't crazy, it wouldn't be interesting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShipsMadeOfSnow
Feb 22, 2007
nurrrrrr, witty saying, nurrrrrr

A grenade in a car is extreme, yes, but... that's why I watch shows like The Shield. It's mostly realistic, but if it wasn't crazy, it wouldn't be interesting.
spoiler that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ShipsMadeOfSnow posted:

spoiler that

Wow, definitely sorry about that. I guess I'm just way too used to the Dexter thread.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
Got my autographed Shield script from Shawn Ryan. Very awesome.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Got my autographed Shield script from Shawn Ryan. Very awesome.

Which episode?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

TUS posted:

Which episode?

Postpartum

Season 5 Finale

I thought about getting the Season 2 finale, but I went with 5's. Both episodes changed everything after them a lot.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The Valuum posted:

He's for sure a bad guy, however I think often times he has good intentions but doesn't know any other way of going about things. Other times I think he starts with one bad thing and it snow balls and he has to continue doing bad things to cover up the first making him even more evil. That evil is also contrasted by the fact he loves his children, is loyal (for the most part) to his friends and did have a genuine interest in police work at one time. However he tipped the balance early and went 100 miles or more down the 'bad' road before thinking of turning back and couldn't ever turn around. I guess I wouldn't call him truly 'evil' because I think he does feel a genuine sense of remorse for a lot of the things he did and someone who is 'evil' to me doesn't have the capacity to do that.

The Valuum posted:

:lol: Dutch is another 'what the hell' character. I can't think of a time you don't really want to root for him though. It's difficult because he's so likable and you want to root for him but then you also want to root for Vic to. It's so easy to go back and forth on this show.

The Valuum posted:

Keep an eye on Ronnie. It's been talked about a bit in this thread but he's one of the scariest members of the strike team. From the beginning he's been the one with absolutely no compunction in regards to breaking the law, killing someone and blindly follows orders to the letter. Shane is also a yes man but he's stupid, impulsive and trying to do things his way. Ronnie is the guy you should be scared of, he's Vics hammer.

Wow, definitely sorry about that. I guess I'm just way too used to the Dexter thread.

This is a thread specifically for newbies.

For people who have watched this show before, what do you think was the point of no return for Vic? Was there ever a time you just stopped rooting for him period? (outside of the end of the first ep, you could definitely call that a point of no return but after that what point would it be?)

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

KilGrey posted:

For people who have watched this show before, what do you think was the point of no return for Vic? Was there ever a time you just stopped rooting for him period? (outside of the end of the first ep, you could definitely call that a point of no return but after that what point would it be?)

I think the safest answer as a Point of No return is Money Train. Most of the big plot points for the rest of the season start revolving around the Money Train the issues that lie therein. On a smaller scale, I think when Vic is allowed to patrol the streets after the Decoy Squad leaves is a pivotal point too.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

KilGrey posted:

For me, final season, when they began talking about dropping the hammer on the ENTIRE Vendrel family, Jackson included. It got to a very hypothetical place and Vic still had wiggle room but the confrontation outside the hospital was the closest I ever came to no lobger rooting for him.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Scissorfighter posted:

With Terry, it just didn't fit Vic's character post-pilot, and I know I'm not alone in thinking that. He spends the rest of the series dealing with rats by discrediting or putting pressure on them. Julian was a rat and he became friends with him, even.

I've actually thought about this, Vic is always willing to go all the way to protect himself, but he usually would try to diffuse the situation before resorting to these sort of measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I like to think that, even though it wasn't explicitly stated, Gilroy had a hand in fueling Vic's decision. Almost all of Vic's intel decisions are made post-Gilroy and Vic had to learn a bit from that scenario and get more creative.

• Locked thread