Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bud Manstrong posted:

Sounds like I've got a nest of baby birds chirping behind my dash when the air conditioning is on. Blower motor? Is it a symptom of anything in particular

.. a worn out bearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So I seem to be making a stupidly large mess everytime I do an oil change, I've been chirping around looking at the Fumoto oil valves, does anybody have any experience with those?

Supposedly they are prone to leakage/road damage, but they would make life so much easier. Thoughts?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Just Another XY posted:

So I seem to be making a stupidly large mess everytime I do an oil change, I've been chirping around looking at the Fumoto oil valves, does anybody have any experience with those?

Supposedly they are prone to leakage/road damage, but they would make life so much easier. Thoughts?

I have one on my car, no problems so far. Makes it really easy to pull a sample for Blackstone too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you get a nice skidplate I'm sure road damage won't be a particular concern. Then again, that's what's keeping me from installing a Fumoto valve. :(

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Cat Terrist posted:

The belt is simply not under load when the air con is off - when the belt is not under load it wont squeak and yes I would agree with previous, it's more liekly the belt. Being newer, it's more likely to need to be retightened. Do that first.

I tensioned the belt on Friday without improvement - there's also a fair amount of rust dust around the compressor which I've read is an indicator of compressor failure.

I could tension it again, but I don't want to bend something. If I pull the belt off and freewheel the compressor with the A/C oon, I should be able to tell if the squeaking sound is the compressor or the belt slipping, right?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Witness the shameless picwhoring of a proud new Subaru owner:

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon, 5-speed manual with STi shortshift and Momo knob. If you hate the wheels, blame me. They're 5Zigen Proracer ZR+520 in 18x8.5 shod with 225 Pirellis. The A-10 sticker came from the PO (a hog driver, obviously) but I insisted that it transfer with the sale.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 7, 2010

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Sterndotstern posted:

2005 Legacy GT Wagon, 5-speed manual with STi shortshift and Momo knob. If you hate the wheels, blame me. They're 5Zigen Proracer ZR+520 in 18x8.5 shod with 225 Pirellis. The A-10 sticker came from the PO (a hog driver, obviously) but I insisted that it transfer with the sale.
ONE OF US

Beautiful wagon, man. Congrats.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the wheels look nice

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Had my first Subaru :argh: moment. I went to replace the broken passenger taillight, and found that of the 5 nuts holding the taillight on, 4 of them are easily accessible through the same access panel you open to change bulbs. But the fifth one is completely impossible to get to without removing nearly all the interior from the back of the wagon. uggghhff

On the other hand, this 17-year-old new car went out for a 500-mile weekend road trip, and I had no problems whatsoever. I even got over 25MPG, and that includes at least 4 miles of cumulative elevation gain.

Didn't really get any dramatic Subaru shots, but this is her near Chinook Pass:

Can you see what's missing from this photo :ohdear:

Also went over White Pass, twice, and up on Mount Rainier.

This is the view from Sunrise, 6 miles away and 5000 8000 feet below the summit.

quadpus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 7, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Sterndotstern posted:

Undeniable proof Subaru CAN make a great looking car. How the gently caress they went from this gorgeous thing to the 2010 horror is beyond me

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sterndotstern posted:

1024x683.

I see that your car has indeed put a smile on your face.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Super excellent GT wagon, man.

That kind of thing is my biggest beef with Subaru, though. Why only one year for the stick? They're so all over the place with their option packages.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

warwick5s posted:

Super excellent GT wagon, man.

That kind of thing is my biggest beef with Subaru, though. Why only one year for the stick? They're so all over the place with their option packages.

No demand for it. They're pretty hard to find, and they command a premium. I had a manual wagon as good as bought, and right before I jumped in the car to drive the couple hours to go take a look at it, the dealership called me back to tell me it was sold out from under me to someone who put down a deposit without even seeing the car. I ended up with a 2005 sedan. I love the car, and I have no regrets about it, but :h: wagons :h:

The option packages for the car were bizarre. Once they started offering navigation, you couldn't get it with a manual transmission at all - even on a fully optioned GT Limited - unless you sprung for the Spec.B. If you wanted to go with the Limited, I'm pretty sure you were required to have "wood" trim. I know they were aiming for a budget 3-series/G35 fighter originally, but the wood trim in these cars is completely unnecessary and pretty awful.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think Mazda gave up selling the 6 wagon in stick shift too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
GT wagons make me feel tingly in my underpants. They're so amazing. I want one when I eventually grow up and move on from my face-punching Impreza wagon.

I saw a 2.5i blobeye wagon near my parking lot at work that had a full "WRC" vinyl setup. I'll have to dump the picture off my cellphone, but it was a surprisingly well done vinyl job and must have taken forever.

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
Where should I look to start if I want to get a little more power out of my 97 legacy wagon? It has an EJ255 i'm fairly certain. That's really my only complaint about the car, I just wish it had a little more pull to it. Car is completely stock as it sits right now

Antifa Sarkeesian fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 7, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Panda Bear posted:

Where should I look to start if I want to get a little more power out of my 97 legacy wagon? It has an EJ255 i'm fairly certain. That's really my only complaint about the car, I just wish it had a little more pull to it. Car is completely stock as it sits right now
Only the GT has the 2.5L engine in that year; otherwise it's the EJ22. The EJ255 is turbocharged; it's the 2006+ WRX turbo engine. What you probably have is an EJ25D.

A friend of mine who has a later-model nonturbo 2.5GT replaced his accessory pulley and mounted a ram intake to try and get more top-end power out of his car. I'm not really sure what you could do for the low end.

If you want to go crazy, Techworks Engineering is a local engine builder that is kind of infamous for having a large-horsepower naturally aspirated Impreza. You will almost definitely need to get the car tuned for that, though, and I'm not familiar enough with the tuning options for nonturbos to talk about that.

edit: http://web.archive.org/web/20061006012415/http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/sohc/index.html not sure why Cobb keeps screwing up their website, but here's an archive of their SOHC build article.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 7, 2010

Antifa Sarkeesian
Jun 4, 2009

yo les digo que no, que no soy la madre de nadie, pero que, eso si, los conozco a todos, a todos los jóvenes poetas del DF, a los que nacieron aquí y a los que llegaron de provincias, y a los que el oleaje trajo de otros lugares de Latinoamérica, y que los quiero a todos
Oops, yeah, I did mean EJ25D. All these numbers can get confusing. Anyway, thanks! Those are some real interesting reads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but it looks like there's a new 2.5L NA engine that's going into the '11 Forrester.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/01/subaru-forester-gets-new-engine-for-2011-improved-fuel-economy/

Fuel economy is only SLIGHTLY better, but it's a DOHC chain driven engine rather than SOHC belt driven.

They claim it's an all new engine though which kind of saddens me. It seems decidedly low tech for an all new engine and they really need to start getting better mileage out of their non-turbo models or their sales boon is going to be short lived.

One thing is certain though, this is the beginning of the end for the EJ series (since being all new this will have a different engine code.) This engine will probably replace the NA engines of the Impreza and Legacy next year. I wonder how long until they make a turbo variant.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 7, 2010

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
GIVE US THE DIESEL!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I read the press release and noticed this:

quote:

• New optional TomTom Navigation System for 2.5X Premium includes removable 4.3-inch
touch-screen portable navigation device; AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD/DVD player and
six speakers; 3.5mm auxiliary input jack; Bluetooth hands free calling; iPod control capability
and USB port. Also, a backup camera is available as an accessory with this system.
Taking a page from Suzuki...?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Cat Terrist posted:

The belt is simply not under load when the air con is off - when the belt is not under load it wont squeak and yes I would agree with previous, it's more liekly the belt. Being newer, it's more likely to need to be retightened. Do that first.

Well, I kept thinking about this all day and decided to pop the hood and put a little more tension on it. The belt squeal is gone now - the aircon belt wasn't as tight as the alternator belt, so I tightened it up slightly and it seems to have done the trick.

I'll be putting another hundred miles on it tomorrow so we'll see if it's gone for good. I snapped a picture of my compressor and I'll post it tomorrow - there really is a lot of rust so I'll be curious what other people think.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
Just wanted to say, "Well, this is Automotive Insanity."

It's taken two unemployed nerds most of the July 4th weekend and the last few nights to construct the following:

...And if you're extremely nerdy too you can follow along and make the final thing yourself.

http://www.saturn.dti.ne.jp/~eastern/pcraft/index.html

Be advised, they have the 2004, 2005 and 2006 rally models on there. The one we are working on is the 2005 model, with non-optional parts, that takes about 6 pages of paper. That took roughly 20 hours or so.

The 2006 model has SIXTEEN, SIXTEEN pages. Godspeed, goons.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

CharlesM posted:

GIVE US THE DIESEL!!

Trust me, you don't want it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Really? Does it suck? That's funny because Subaru recently boasted the diesel is now 10% of sales in Australia.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
My endlinks are worn out and i've decided to upgrade.

Here's my thoughts, let me know if I'm doing this wrong.
Kartboy endlinks (and spacers)
WhiteLine front and rear sways (24, 22)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

My endlinks are worn out and i've decided to upgrade.

Here's my thoughts, let me know if I'm doing this wrong.
Kartboy endlinks (and spacers)
WhiteLine front and rear sways (24, 22)
That looks pretty good. Maybe throw in an anti-lift kit if you're already ordering that much weight. Needs an alignment afterward, though.

Also, did your Hush make a big difference? The 2.5L doesn't sound nearly as good as the 2.0L and I'm wondering if the Hush will make it rumblier for me.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Man I want a hush so bad...

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I know I saw a recommendation for a replacement MTF and Diff fluid in this thread somewhere, but I can't seem to find where.

I've got an 01 Legacy GT Ltd with a LSD in the rear and I'd like to do the fluids. The handy Chilton manual says I need 75w90 for both the Gearbox and Diff. If I remember right the recommendation was Shockproof brand, but not sure if I should get the heavy, light, or superlightweight versions? Also, do I need any special additive for the LSD?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am running fifty-fifty MT90 and (I think heavy) Shockproof. I think you have to get the kind without the friction modifier, as well.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I'm just running straight Castrol Synthetic Gear Oil in my wrx.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am running fifty-fifty MT90 and (I think heavy) Shockproof. I think you have to get the kind without the friction modifier, as well.

So 50304 and 58204?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amandyke posted:

I'm just running straight Castrol Synthetic Gear Oil in my wrx.

What kind?

Don't forget, you have a hypoid gear in the transmission (for driving the front wheels) so you need something with friction modifiers in it (which regular transmission gear oil usually lacks). Hypoid gears slide sideways as they turn which requires a different type of lubrication.

That's why GL5 is required.

That's the catch 22 of a Subaru transmission. You need gear oil slippery enough so as not to wear the front diff, but it can't be too slippery because it will cause the synchros to misbehave.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

So more like This?

Do I need to get some of the LSD additive they sell as well, or is that not needed?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Err, right, you want it with the friction modifier, not without. I always mix those two up.

Other than that, yes, MT90 and heavy shockproof is what the PO put in. I'm not sure if that's the best. He never touched the rear diff, which probably means that I'll have to do some research on that as well.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Wait, I think I'm getting more confused...

Amazon.com posted:

Red Line 75W90 NS - a GL-5 which does not contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly

This seems to say the GL-5 is the oil without friction modifiers and I thought I needed those...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I don't think the GL-5 spec REQUIRES friction modifiers, it just has specifications that make it suitable for hypoid gearsets (which often involve using friction modifiers).

The 75W90 NS is trying to cater specifically to the type of bind we are in where we need a GL-5 rated oil, but can't go overboard with the friction modifiers because it affects the operation of the transmission.

Fun, isn't it?

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

I never would have guessed gear oil got as complicated as that.

OK - Am I correct in thinking that options are as follows?

Transmission Fluid - RedLine 75w90NS? Or a 50/50 of 75w90NS and Shockproof Heavy?

Rear LS Diff - Redline 75w90NS + LSD additive?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For the most part, I think any GL-5 75w90 gear oil is fine for the rear differential for normal applications.

Now, a cocktail I've used in the past for the transmission was 1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh, the rest Castrol Hypoy C 75w90 and I really liked it. Synchros worked great and it had good tolerance to 0F temps. Now, the Synchromesh isn't GL rated so there is a slight gamble there, but it is a widely used combo.

I would like to say I have over 100k miles on my transmission with that combo but I can't because it got fragged. However, it blew up from the center differential failing in a amazing but gradual fashion, slowly littering my transmission internals with metal shards with very little outward signs of any problem util the bearings seized. So, it didn't die of gear oil related illness, but I really have no idea if my front diff was in good shape before the failure since it was completely toast afterwards.

Edit: It looks like the cocktail i was using has fallen out of favor due to some oil analysis, so I wouldn't recommend it now.

Honestly, I think I'm just going to use plain old Subaru Extra S from now on that it seems to be obtainable in quart bottles rather than a drum.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

What kind?

Don't forget, you have a hypoid gear in the transmission (for driving the front wheels) so you need something with friction modifiers in it (which regular transmission gear oil usually lacks). Hypoid gears slide sideways as they turn which requires a different type of lubrication.

That's why GL5 is required.

That's the catch 22 of a Subaru transmission. You need gear oil slippery enough so as not to wear the front diff, but it can't be too slippery because it will cause the synchros to misbehave.

I know it was GL-5 rated. But I can't definitly answer as to if it had the friction modifiers in it or not. I'll check when I get home.

edit: Just checked the bottle. It specifically states that it exceeds requirements (yay marketing) for LSD's. Specifically it's Castrol Syntec Gear Oil: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915494&contentId=7036193

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 9, 2010