Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm going away for five days.

I'll probably be drunk most of those days.

And I'm going to attempt to create my first real pattern during that time as well.

Wish me luck. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
My mom recently returned from France and brought back 3 balls of Markoma's Tropical

53 meters per ball, 75% cotton, 22% microfiber, 3% polyester
According to Ravely it doesn't exist and Markoma's website is mostly useless. What, oh creative goons, do you think I should do with this?

Yarn! fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 6, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Wow! I like the colors. I'm a little disturbed by yarn that doesn't exist on Ravlery. O.O

With stuff like that it's best to do a small accessory I would think. Hat or mittens although I don't think they would be terribly warm. Purse type thing?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I've bought yarn that didn't exist on Ravelry, but I got it from a private seller at a fiber fair.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I too have bought nonexistent yarn; some of foreign and small seller things aren't there, so you could add it to the database.

As to what to make with it, I second the accessory thing. I don't know anything specific, it's so out of the realm of what I knit with.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho
I think I'm going to make a market bag. I'll throw in some left over cottons from my stash and double strand the Tropical.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So, I finally got a response back from the creator of the Sunshine pattern. She can't help me because she's very busy homeschooling her children, and she linked me to the KAL I've been following the entire time.

I was also suggested not to knit it at 38" but I guess I'll just do it anyways...

Shags
Jun 16, 2010

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...
Hello

I design and make teddy bears. Now I'm trying my hand at knitting accessories for my desgins; hats, mittens, scarfs etc. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I would get minature designs that would fit a teddy bear?

I only know the basics atm but I',m hoping with practice I will be able to make more complicated items.

any help would be appreceiated.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Shags posted:

Hello

I design and make teddy bears. Now I'm trying my hand at knitting accessories for my desgins; hats, mittens, scarfs etc. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I would get minature designs that would fit a teddy bear?

I only know the basics atm but I',m hoping with practice I will be able to make more complicated items.

any help would be appreceiated.

I just searched Teddy Bear on Ravelry and lots of stuff came up. Some of it actual bears, some of it bear clothing.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search?craft=knitting&query=teddy+bear

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
So, my mom found four untouched skeins of Berroco Dante at a thrift shop in a lovely baby pink. I have a friend who's pregnant with a baby girl and want to make her a gift with the yarn but I can't find a pattern that would work -- the yarn is really drapey and doesn't have any stretch at all. It's cotton and rayon, kind of nubbly, and I'm thinking of just giving up and buying some of my standby alpaca for the baby gift. Any thoughts? There's about enough for a baby sweater.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

So, my mom found four untouched skeins of Berroco Dante at a thrift shop in a lovely baby pink. I have a friend who's pregnant with a baby girl and want to make her a gift with the yarn but I can't find a pattern that would work -- the yarn is really drapey and doesn't have any stretch at all. It's cotton and rayon, kind of nubbly, and I'm thinking of just giving up and buying some of my standby alpaca for the baby gift. Any thoughts? There's about enough for a baby sweater.

You could potentially hold it together with another yarn and get a sort of blend - like if you mixed it with wool it would mitigate some of the drapey-ness.

Or...a blanket, maybe? Blankets are supposed to be drapey, right?

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

You could potentially hold it together with another yarn and get a sort of blend - like if you mixed it with wool it would mitigate some of the drapey-ness.

Or...a blanket, maybe? Blankets are supposed to be drapey, right?

There isn't really enough for a blanket. I'm thinking about double-stranding it with something soft and nice.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Look Under The Rock posted:

There isn't really enough for a blanket. I'm thinking about double-stranding it with something soft and nice.

Baby hat + Booties + Small, plush animal with a bell inside it?

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Make one of these because d'awwww look at it: Bunny Blanket Buddy

And then yeah a hat or something I guess.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Gently Used Coat posted:

Make one of these because d'awwww look at it: Bunny Blanket Buddy

And then yeah a hat or something I guess.

That's adorable! I'm mad though because the pattern says "FREE PATTERN" and then you actually have to pay $5.99 for it. Maybe I'll improvise something like that because OMG SUPER CUTE.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

The pattern shows up near the bottom of the page for me. :confused:

Also the diagram for embroidering the face is one of the smuggest things I've seen, it's hilarious.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Gently Used Coat posted:

The pattern shows up near the bottom of the page for me. :confused:

Also the diagram for embroidering the face is one of the smuggest things I've seen, it's hilarious.

Durrrr I just saw a price and sighed and did not scroll down

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I've been lurking here for a while, but finally have something to post about!

I discovered a yarn shop not more than a half mile from my house and stopped by today to "see what they had." I walked away with four skeins of Koigu with the intentions to try my hand at socks :psyduck: I am broke what was I thinking? Needless to say I'm excited to get started. I just recently discovered Ravelry as well, can anyone point me to a fairly good first-time sock pattern? I'd appreciate it!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

rear end Crackers! posted:

I discovered a yarn shop not more than a half mile from my house and stopped by today to "see what they had." I walked away with four skeins of Koigu with the intentions to try my hand at socks :psyduck: I am broke what was I thinking? Needless to say I'm excited to get started. I just recently discovered Ravelry as well, can anyone point me to a fairly good first-time sock pattern? I'd appreciate it!

It's called "yarn fumes" and it happens to everyone, don't worry. :)

I have not knit it myself but Yarn Harlot has a "plain vanilla sock recipe" that you can punch your numbers into and come out with a sock. Maybe that?

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I'll check that one out, thanks!

Yeah, now that I know there's a reliable source of sweet yarn so close I want to knit up all my xmas gifts. I just don't know where to start. I realize I can't whip up an afghan for everyone, but I would like to make something for everyone in my family. (parents, 2 sisters and a brother.) I figure I can make hats for my dad/brother, and maybe socks for my mother/sisters, but I was also thinking of making more exciting things as well. What are some things you guys have made for family/others in the past?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Uh, ignore any plain stockinette or ribbed sock, the boredom will drive you mad. You wanna make some Monkeys. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/monkey

It's just knits, purls, Ktbls, YOs, SSKs, and K2togs. Looks WAY fancier than it is to make, and she walks you through every step of turning the heel. The pattern repeats go by SO quick too.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Yeah, now that I know there's a reliable source of sweet yarn so close I want to knit up all my xmas gifts. I just don't know where to start. I realize I can't whip up an afghan for everyone, but I would like to make something for everyone in my family. (parents, 2 sisters and a brother.) I figure I can make hats for my dad/brother, and maybe socks for my mother/sisters, but I was also thinking of making more exciting things as well. What are some things you guys have made for family/others in the past?

Fingerless mittens! I could not make these fast enough last year -- they knit up quick, you can make several pairs from one skein, and everyone seems to love them.

As soon as I finish with my recent sock obsession (two pairs to go and I will have no more sock yarn) I'm going to learn to knit actual gloves with actual fingers. I'm terrified and excited.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Anyone got any idea how one would make a rigid baseball cap-style hat from acrylic? I assume you'd at least need some sort of form for the bill but I'm completely blanking on searches. Bonus if it can be knit in one piece. Double bonus if it's adjustable.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
The newsboy cap from SnB Nation uses the plastic canvas you use for needlepoint. Should be easy to find at most big craft stores, and they come in different colors so you can match to the yarn. Can't remember the pattern off the top of my head but I think it used short row shaping to make a wide crescent shape, purled one row so you can fold over the purl ridges, then knit a mirror image of the top part.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I usually can get away with knitting a few nerdy plushes for the my brother. If the climate is good for it, fancy (but simple to make) scarves with matching fingerless gloves go over well for the ladies. Small shawls that only use a skein of 100g skein of sock yarn are usually easy and fast. I've yet to figure out anything to knit my dad, but he's impossible to get anything for ever anyway.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Since the crochet thread is slower than this one, and I want to work on my project RIGHT NOW I DONT WANT TO WAIT, does anyone here know how to crochet and can help me with a gauge question?

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Uh, ignore any plain stockinette or ribbed sock, the boredom will drive you mad. You wanna make some Monkeys. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/monkey

I should mention that the most exciting thing I've ever knitted was a straight stitch hat, so this looks both daunting and quite exciting. I roped my husband in to picking out some yarn to make him a pair as well. Maybe I'll do a plain stitching pattern for his, and try this one for mine :)

I think I might have a go at the mittens and scarves, my family lives out in the country and could use some warm things to bundle up in for the trip to town.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Oh, I know all about yarn fumes. I visited three yarn stores today during my journey through PA. The trick is to make a beeline for the discount bin and give yourself a yarn budget (mine was $10 each store).

I walked away with a ball for felting, four balls which will make great fall scarves, and a ball of Carron wool.

Sweet Jesus the woman at that one yarn store nearly killed me for that. I walked up to the register and she offered to hold it while I "continue shopping". When I told her I was just buying that one $6 ball of yarn she looked like I shot her dog.

Why the one ball? Because everything else in the store was $25 and up. :gonk:

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Geez. Some yarn shop ladies are harsh. (I worked with one, for that matter.)

I started a blog! It's for my etsy store.
The trick will be managing to continue it...

I'm posting it here, although it will be a mix of knitting, spinning and dyeing.

http://dramallamaknits.blogspot.com/

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Geez. Some yarn shop ladies are harsh. (I worked with one, for that matter.)

Tell me about it. The first knitting store I ever walked into the owner refused to serve me because she was too "busy".

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I started a blog! It's for my etsy store.
The trick will be managing to continue it...

I'm posting it here, although it will be a mix of knitting, spinning and dyeing.

http://dramallamaknits.blogspot.com/

I've had a blog for my etsy store for years! I just keep forgetting to update it. :downs:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Okay so has anyone else seen these ca-razy socks in the new Knitty?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff10/PATTceltictriad.php

I'm not crazy about the cable design but what I'm getting at here is the construction. You basically knit a hat for the heel using the magic cast-on and then two earflap-style gussets, connecting them at the top of your foot opposite the heel. Pick up the stitches on one side and make the foot, pick up the stitches on the other side and do the leg.

As someone with massive goddamn ankles (I'm sure I've bitched about it here before), this construction is about as close to a revelation from Jesus Knitting Christ as I'll ever get.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 9, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sex Hobbit posted:

Okay so has anyone else seen these ca-razy socks in the new Knitty?

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEff10/PATTceltictriad.php

I'm not crazy about the cable design but what I'm getting at here is the construction. You basically knit a hat for the heel using the magic cast-on and then two earflap-style gussets, connecting them at the top of your foot opposite the heel. Pick up the stitches on one side and make the foot, pick up the stitches on the other side and do the leg.

As someone with massive goddamn ankles (I'm sure I've bitched about it here before), this construction is about as close to a revelation from Jesus Knitting Christ as I'll ever get.

Huh. I like the cables but for some reason I'm not nuts about the reverse stockinette there.

They had another pattern in an old knitty that was constructed like that too - it's called Hat Heel (appropriately). Been on my list for a while but I'm mad at socks the past few months, so.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008
You've all inspired me to take up knitting again! I used to knit all the time in Jr. High and High School... about 10 years ago. I'm starting small and working on a scarf to get the technique down again because I've seem to forgotten that how tight you hold the yarn makes all the difference in the world (my scarf goes from incredibly stiff to horribly lose).

I can't wait to make a pair of the gorgeous socks you guys post all the time!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

I should mention that the most exciting thing I've ever knitted was a straight stitch hat, so this looks both daunting and quite exciting. I roped my husband in to picking out some yarn to make him a pair as well. Maybe I'll do a plain stitching pattern for his, and try this one for mine :)

I think I might have a go at the mittens and scarves, my family lives out in the country and could use some warm things to bundle up in for the trip to town.

If you're making Monkeys for a guy (or anyone who wears bigger than a women's 7 or 8) you'll need to make Knitting Daily's large version. PDF here

That's the thing that shits me about Cookie's patterns, they're so cool but only people with tiny tiny feet can wear them as-is. If you have big feet you'll have to tinker with them to size up and that gets really, really hairy with some of her more complex patterns.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

If you're making Monkeys for a guy (or anyone who wears bigger than a women's 7 or 8) you'll need to make Knitting Daily's large version. PDF here

That's the thing that shits me about Cookie's patterns, they're so cool but only people with tiny tiny feet can wear them as-is. If you have big feet you'll have to tinker with them to size up and that gets really, really hairy with some of her more complex patterns.

For the really complex ones, I just move up to a bigger yarn and needle size; it's easier and the only way I could ever ever do the Vilai socks for a friend who has larger feet.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

FelicityGS posted:

For the really complex ones, I just move up to a bigger yarn and needle size; it's easier and the only way I could ever ever do the Vilai socks for a friend who has larger feet.

True, but I'd have to do them on 8s with worsted to make some of those work... I guess I could wear those with boots, but then no one would see them :(

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Thanks, but after showing some pictures of this pattern to him, he said, "It's too girly, can't you just make normal ones?" :rolleyes: Yes, dear. On the upside, I do happen to have tiny feet, and just started on my first sock! I'll post a pic or two of something that vaguely resembles a sock when I'm finished.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Sex Hobbit posted:

True, but I'd have to do them on 8s with worsted to make some of those work... I guess I could wear those with boots, but then no one would see them :(

I bought a pair of cheapish flats that were a half size too big so i could show off my hand knit socks all over the place. :)

The extra layer of sock + too big shoes is a perfect fit.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I bought a pair of cheapish flats that were a half size too big so i could show off my hand knit socks all over the place. :)

The extra layer of sock + too big shoes is a perfect fit.

This is what I was going to suggest. Being able to show off handknit socks is the best part sometimes. Except in winter, when they keep your feet toasty unlike all the other socks ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Ravelry is having a contest to encourage people to help refine their search function, and a bunch of companies have donated prizes.

They're all pretty sweet but Prize #13 is a WOLLMEISE DISCOBALL.

"But Sex Hobbit, what the gently caress is a Wollmeise Disco Ball?"

quote:

15 skeins of either Wollmeise Twin (80merino/20pa) or Wollmeise 100% merino superwash, dyed especially for the winner in her choice of any of Wollmeise's colorways. Have them all dyed in the same colorway for a sweater or cardigan, or each skein dyed in a different colorway - it's the winner's party!

Wollmeise is so loving hard to get you basically have to camp out on the website and wait for it to update, then order as fast as you can and hope it didn't sell out while you were peeing or whatever. Their 100% Merino Superwash is basically the best sock yarn ever. EVER. 'Course I wouldn't know since I've never been able to get my hands on it.

FIFTEEN SKEINS OF SULTAN PLEASE :shlick: