Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Any reason besides me being an idiot that I would need to redo my wheel bearings again, 2 or so months after I got them replaced? On a 99 XJ, would it be because of the bigger tires I have on it? Its kind of annoying when its gonna cost at least $200 in parts and more in labor every 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Welp, it was the fuel pump. Second lesson (the first is that cheap cars never are) is the Jeopardy Principal* applies to wrenching on cars.

(*Doctor Zero's patented Jeopardy Principletm: Your first answer is the correct one.)

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

BoostCreep posted:

Of course you can find them cheaper from private sellers
Yup. I am aware. I just think you can just as easily get burned by a shady/lazy dealer. Well, okay you win, on any given day a random dealer car is a much safer bet than a random Craigslist car, but that's why you do your homework and avoid paying dealer markup for:

Doctor Zero posted:

You do realize that "reconditioned" just means washed, vacuumed, & inspected
But I don't live in CA and understand they got some very strict emissions requirements, so maybe that part changes things a bit. Particularly if you could potentially be on the hook for $1K+ to get your emissions under control.

fordham posted:

I think I forgot to tell you about the fog lights - the first (factory) set corroded out completely so I replaced them with the currently corroded ones that are on there. If you get another set they are easy to install - I reused the existing wiring with the replacements so the console switch operates them.

It's a big star drive screwdriver to take em down I think. I cut the tops off the factory lights and used them to mount the new lights so they go right back up into the factory mounts under the car. Factory Mount + Factory Wiring = easy fog light replacement.
You know, I was wondering about the aftermarket foglights hooked up to the stock switch. Why yes, this was after I touched the fog light and the lens (along with a puff of metal dust) fell of in my hand. Mystery solved.

Thanks again, she's been great so far. :D

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Anyone interested in a black TJ Hardtop(used), OME shocks(new) or a 3in Full Traction budget lift(new)? I'm in Northern VA. PM if you're interested.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004
Today while I was home for lunch my 1995 Jeep Cherokee slipped out of gear while parked in my driveway and rolled down into my back woods and nailed a tree. I'm not sure how it even started rolling since my driveway is pretty flat at the end where it was parked.

Still waiting on the quote from the body shop. I'm almost positive I put it into gear when I parked, but it's all muscle memory so I'm not 100% sure.

Anyways here are some pictures of the incident.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Click here for the full 524x786 image.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Deverse posted:

Today while I was home for lunch my 1995 Jeep Cherokee slipped out of gear while parked in my driveway and rolled down into my back woods and nailed a tree. I'm not sure how it even started rolling since my driveway is pretty flat at the end where it was parked.

Still waiting on the quote from the body shop. I'm almost positive I put it into gear when I parked, but it's all muscle memory so I'm not 100% sure.

Anyways here are some pictures of the incident.

Man, that's some lovely luck. Your Jeep has a real target fixation problem judging by the amount of empty space around that tree.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Man, that's some lovely luck. Your Jeep has a real target fixation problem judging by the amount of empty space around that tree.

Yeah it rolled straight to the tree. We actually cut down about 200 trees that had dutch elm disease over the past two years. It hit the one of the few remaining trees on our property.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
When was the last time you took it off-road? That looks like a clear cry for help/suicide attempt.

Deverse
Apr 14, 2004

ManicJason posted:

When was the last time you took it off-road? That looks like a clear cry for help/suicide attempt.

It had been a while. It was mainly my daily driver as it was 100% more reliable than the Audi.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
There is only one clear solution. Chop down the tree, and have it planked and make garage shelving out of it. And a shift-knob, polish it all up.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The tree was obviously taunting your jeep. I mean just look at that smug loving tree.

Chop it down.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I'm looking at an Australian 96 Cherokee Limited (the highest spec XJ we got) with ~140k miles

Do the 4.0s have any major maintenance due around that milage? Every maintenance schedule I can find ends at 120k. Are the electrical options pretty robust or can I expect them to be dead already? Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

I've had a decent look at it but haven't managed to get in contact with the owner. Crawling underneath it looks completely cancer and dent free; I doubt it has ever seen any offroad duties. all the bushings looked sound too

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Transfer Case Skidplate. 3/16 steel enough or should I go with 1/4?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

sadnessboner posted:

Do the 4.0s have any major maintenance due around that milage? Every maintenance schedule I can find ends at 120k. Are the electrical options pretty robust or can I expect them to be dead already? Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

My parents '94 grand cherokee with a 4.0 lost its exhaust manifold at about that mileage - at some point they switched to a 2-part exhaust manifold to solve the problem but I think it was after '96. No idea for Australia though.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
2010 Wranglers have a criminally underpowered engine holy poo poo. I can barely break 80 going up an incline on the highway.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

BYOB posted:

2010 Wranglers have a criminally underpowered engine holy poo poo. I can barely break 80 going up an incline on the highway.

Is that with an auto or manual transmission? Or won't it matter with the crummy engine?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Auto and no it wouldn't. 3.8-liter 202-horsepower V6. :saddowns:

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

BYOB posted:

My friend has a '91 4.0L YJ 5-speed, and he says after driving a 4-door JK auto, it's a seriously underpowered thing, like if he was driving a 4cyl YJ. Pity they made these cars so underpowered, what with being able to put a V8 in there.

Aren't the newer engines supposed to do like 270hp? I heard Fiat somehow managed to make the V6's much more powerful now.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!

BYOB posted:

Auto and no it wouldn't. 3.8-liter 202-horsepower V6. :saddowns:

Jesus. I just looked up the specs; didn't realize the JK was THAT much heavier than the TJ. And 800-1000lbs heavier than my XJ :monocle:

So yeah, I guess a 3.8 would be a bit underpowered!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
They should put a small turbodiesel in the JK, I'd buy one in an instant. I know some of the jeeps in Canada have that option but not the Wrangler.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Geared Hub posted:

They should put a small turbodiesel in the JK, I'd buy one in an instant. I know some of the jeeps in Canada have that option but not the Wrangler.

We get that here in Costa Rica, the 2.8L VM Motori CRD. Gets about 175hp, so it's not that fast, but 302ft/lb torque make for an awesome off-roader. The turbo-lag sucks though, which is VERY noticeable when mudding (I only took my friend's CRD JK once and it was dreadful trying to measure exactly when the turbo was kicking in). They make about 450 miles to the tank though, so it's definitely much better if you don't care much for mudding.

I keep wondering when will variable geometry turbos be standard in all diesel engines? I know Cummins are putting these turbos in almost everything nowadays, but it'd be nice to see it in all engines by all manufacturers by now.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
A guy I work with had a 4 door JK and sold it to get a I6 powered WJ, and liked the WJ a whole lot better. Said the JK sucks for power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Steiler Drep posted:

We get that here in Costa Rica, the 2.8L VM Motori CRD. Gets about 175hp, so it's not that fast, but 302ft/lb torque make for an awesome off-roader. The turbo-lag sucks though, which is VERY noticeable when mudding (I only took my friend's CRD JK once and it was dreadful trying to measure exactly when the turbo was kicking in). They make about 450 miles to the tank though, so it's definitely much better if you don't care much for mudding.

I keep wondering when will variable geometry turbos be standard in all diesel engines? I know Cummins are putting these turbos in almost everything nowadays, but it'd be nice to see it in all engines by all manufacturers by now.

God you people suck, getting all the cool motors

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Steiler Drep posted:

Aren't the newer engines supposed to do like 270hp? I heard Fiat somehow managed to make the V6's much more powerful now.

The Pentastar? That's been developed by Chrysler internally, not by Fiat. Fiat will be taking the motor and developing its own heads for it, though.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BYOB posted:

Huh, is that in a 4-door? I have no issues doing 80+ up over Snoqualmie Pass here in Washington in my 2dr Rubi. But I have the 6 speed and definitely not in 6th gear.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Doesn't the Rubicon have a 4.11 gear ratio rear diff though? That has to help acceleration and power a bit.

Cheap Bourbon
Apr 13, 2010

Braincloud posted:

Huh, is that in a 4-door? I have no issues doing 80+ up over Snoqualmie Pass here in Washington in my 2dr Rubi. But I have the 6 speed and definitely not in 6th gear.

My co-workers JK Unlimited is "criminally underpowered", I thought it was because he put the 33's on it, but apparently, the HP numbers don't lie.

I can't wait for the 35's to go on and hear him complain. Oh well, its a nice ride nonetheless, i just wish it had a little more to give. (basically turned me off to the 3.8)

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty and was driving from KC to Little Rock and my AC stopped blowing cold air about 50 miles from Little Rock. Does anyone have any idea what may be the culprit? Being down here two weeks without AC would suck really bad. Thanks.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Is anyone aware of any aftermarket seats that are bolt-in or with some finagling could fit into a WJ?

Im trying to find some seats to replace my stock ones that would provide me a little more leg room. I dont care about all of the electronics or seat heaters, just a nice comfortable bucket seat.

Epikhigh
Apr 4, 2009
Didn't know if this was posted or not, but any Ohio goons looking for a Grand Wagoneer: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/1837967134.html

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

L-Boned posted:

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty and was driving from KC to Little Rock and my AC stopped blowing cold air about 50 miles from Little Rock. Does anyone have any idea what may be the culprit? Being down here two weeks without AC would suck really bad. Thanks.

Cheapest test is to just recharge it.

If it SUDDENLY stopped blowing cold then it's probably not a charge issue. If it slowly petered out and you can hear the compressor not engaging (or engaging only for a second) then it's probably low on coolant. The recharge cans have a sealant that can seal small leaks.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos

L-Boned posted:

Do what fordham said, but I live in Arkansas and yes no AC would loving blow right now. 60%+ humidity in 88°F+ temp is not fun.

fordham posted:

Cheapest test is to just recharge it.

If it SUDDENLY stopped blowing cold then it's probably not a charge issue. If it slowly petered out and you can hear the compressor not engaging (or engaging only for a second) then it's probably low on coolant. The recharge cans have a sealant that can seal small leaks.

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
I'm finally in the position where I can afford to get a Jeep Wrangler, which I've wanted for a rather long time. I'm looking at the 04-06 range right now. I was wondering if this Rubicon was a good deal? I don't *need* the extra awesome poo poo a Rubi will give me, but if it's a good deal I can't really argue with it since it's not like it'll be BAD if I have the extras. It's listed at 14,250 FIRM.

Vehicle Description
Installed Options

* Driver Air Bag
* Air Conditioning
* Alloy Wheels
* Cruise Control

* CD Player
* Passenger Air Bag
* Rear Window Defroster
* Power Steering

* Tinted Glass
* Tilt/Telescope Steering Wheel

Seller's Description and Comments

RUBICON. Forest green with 65,000 miles. Want to sell for a more family and gas friendly economical vehicle. Garage kept. Interior in excellent condition. All around push button lock-in axles, 6 speed, Warn (8,000#) winch, Warn bumpers, original bumpers as well, new tires, hard top, soft top, bikini top, cruise control. air conditioning, cd player, premier sound, and full under body skid plates from front to rear. Good maintenance. Cash or certified money/cashier check. No personal checks. Firm

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Braincloud posted:

I was specifically referring to a two door Rubi driving up Snoqualmie Pass. :buddy:

Washington is the best place for Jeeps. :hfive:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

BYOB posted:

I was specifically referring to a two door Rubi driving up Snoqualmie Pass. :buddy:

Washington is the best place for Jeeps. :hfive:

Ha ha ha, nice! Washington is definitely the best place for Jeeps. :hfive:

But yeah, I'm usually in 5th hauling rear end up the pass. YMMV (mine is about 14mpg whilst doing that).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I've had my Cherokee for a couple of months now and I want to use the 4WD. How do I go about fining places where I can take the truck off-road near Omaha, NE? I don't want to be a jerk and tear up people's private land.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Are new Rubicons a bad idea if you want to go offroading?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

A.o.D. posted:

How serious do you want to go offroading? I personally wouldn't want to risk taking a brand new $30k car crawling over massive boulders, through steep ravines, etc. However if you're just driving trails, mudding, etc. there really isn't anything stock more capable than a Wrangler Rubicon that you can buy brand new.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

A.o.D. posted:

I had mine on the trails with only 600 miles on the odometer. I also play rough with my toys.

If you don't go offroading, how are you supposed to get to places like this?:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

A.o.D. posted:

They're probably the most capable Jeep that Jeep ever built. They're fantastic offroaders. But like mod sassinator already said, do you really want to be rubbing $30,000 up against trees and bolders and poo poo? I wheel a $2,800 Scout and feel bad because I crunched my rockers which were already rusted and in need of replacement.