Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

sigmachiev posted:

:siren: TRANSFER CHAT :siren:

Got Berkeley this morning myself yeeeeeeeeeeee!

You mean... Boalt!

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

sigmachiev posted:

CONGRATULATIONS

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Linguica posted:

congrats, fucker

Thanks bud. You know your insight was key to all this.

Thanks everyone!

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
congrats!

boalt sounds like a good name for a dentistry school

perhaps you should focus your studies on dentistry law

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Congrats sigmachiev! You deserve it (unemployment and a lonely grave)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Congrats, now you can "boalt" from USD to a better California school! Called Berkeley.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

sigmachiev posted:

Awesome!

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Ahh Transfer Chat, that special time of the year were I engage in constant self-flagellation over my incredibly boneheaded decision to turn down a transfer to U of M and stay at my TTT

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I was cleaning my room today and found all of the brochures and correspondence and offers from various TTTs (including forum favourites Valpo and Cooley :swoon:). I seriously considered going to them before I found the thread.

I wonder what might have been :unsmith:

(actually Lewis & Clark's stuff was kickin' rad and sold the place well, maybe I should keep that one and burn the rest)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

(actually Lewis & Clark's stuff was kickin' rad and sold the place well, maybe I should keep that one and burn the rest)

I'm really sick of telling people this, and maybe you're just joking, but: Lewis & Clark isn't worth going to UNLESS you're absolutely certain you're interested in environmental justice.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

MoFauxHawk posted:

I'm really sick of telling people this, and maybe you're just joking, but: Lewis & Clark isn't worth going to UNLESS you're absolutely certain you're interested in environmental justice.

It had a really nice campus okay?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Had my first bar complaint. That was fun. Mostly BS. Not that we acted totally perfectly, but nothing is an ethical issue that I see. Bar didn't even open a formal investigation, just got a letter telling me to work this out with the client and tell them how the conversation went. Mostly it was just a (successful) attempt by the client to get out of paying our contingency fee.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It had a really nice campus okay?

I jumped through a lot of hoops for Cornell specifically because I liked their packet. And GULC sent me a Christmas card.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

MoFauxHawk posted:

:lol: pro-posting, clear the way. I hope you feel sorry if someone actually winds up going to Louis and Clark because of that

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kase Im Licht posted:

Had my first bar complaint. That was fun. Mostly BS. Not that we acted totally perfectly, but nothing is an ethical issue that I see. Bar didn't even open a formal investigation, just got a letter telling me to work this out with the client and tell them how the conversation went. Mostly it was just a (successful) attempt by the client to get out of paying our contingency fee.

Oh that sucks man. Then again, something like 7000 complaints are filed in Texas alone a year and less than a percent are acted upon. Sorry you had to go through that poo poo.

He wouldn't negotiate the fee at all?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I was cleaning my room today and found all of the brochures and correspondence and offers from various TTTs (including forum favourites Valpo and Cooley :swoon:). I seriously considered going to them before I found the thread.

I had to fix the email address on my LSAC account the other week (back when I was panicking over my job search and considering doing LSAT tutoring), and now I'm getting all the TTT emails I was getting back then. (no more Columbia packets, though - oh what might have been.)

Do they seriously send out the same emails to the same accounts so often?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I'm going to go practice Lebron law.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

Congrats. Glad to see that you managed to get good grades between all those nights staying up getting drunk and paddling dudes.

But really, congrats.

Bluebrick62
Nov 4, 2005
"What happened?" she gasped. "Nothing. Why?" "Oh, yes it did," she giggled. "I wet myself." "They always do," I said. - Raymond Chandler, "The Big Sleep"
Is anyone else having really lovely experiences with the Bar/Bri graded essays? I realize they grade harshly, but I keep bombing essays when I have a decent knowledge of the law. My raw score on their simulated MBE was like 50 points higher than their average, but my essays are consistently below average.

In my latest graded essay, I got points off for saying that the issue was whether a "covenant not to compete" was enforceable, rather than a "restrictive covenant not to compete." Really? The word "restrictive" is that important? Please tell me the bar examiners aren't that picky. And if not, why the gently caress does Bar/Bri have to stress me out like that?

I just realized that the grader didn't even add up the score correctly. Fractions are hard!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Doibhilin posted:

Is anyone else having really lovely experiences with the Bar/Bri graded essays? I realize they grade harshly, but I keep bombing essays when I have a decent knowledge of the law. My raw score on their simulated MBE was like 50 points higher than their average, but my essays are consistently below average.

In my latest graded essay, I got points off for saying that the issue was whether a "covenant not to compete" was enforceable, rather than a "restrictive covenant not to compete." Really? The word "restrictive" is that important? Please tell me the bar examiners aren't that picky. And if not, why the gently caress does Bar/Bri have to stress me out like that?

I just realized that the grader didn't even add up the score correctly. Fractions are hard!

I'll tell you what I keep telling all my friends, and the same advice I didn't listen to when I was studying for that bar: relax. You're going to do fine. No, the bar examiners are not that picky. You do realize that people who need a sticky note to remind them to breathe if they have to talk and walk at the same time also pass the bar right?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Kase Im Licht posted:

Ho ho, you popped your cherry!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Doibhilin posted:

BarBri intentionally fails you on the essay practice questions in order to scare you into buying their supplemental essay writing classes. Take their scores with a grain of salt.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Draile posted:

BarBri intentionally fails you on the essay practice questions in order to scare you into buying their supplemental essay writing classes. Take their scores with a grain of salt.

Also, it makes you study harder and learn more law. It's tough love from a company you just paid an obscene amount of money to teach you what you thought you'd learn in law school.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Ho ho, you popped your cherry!

"Business is bad? gently caress you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? gently caress you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning, huh? gently caress you, pay me."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Don't make a jerk out of me. Just don't do it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way. And this guy's saying "Whaddaya want from me?" Got a nice head of white hair. It's beautiful.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
This was a douchey post. Redacted.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 9, 2010

Bluebrick62
Nov 4, 2005
"What happened?" she gasped. "Nothing. Why?" "Oh, yes it did," she giggled. "I wet myself." "They always do," I said. - Raymond Chandler, "The Big Sleep"

Draile posted:

I didn't bother with the supplemental classes because the grading has seemed so useless so far. My comments are things like "Use relevant and pertinent rules of law." Oh really? That's so helpful, I'm sure my scores will skyrocket once I use your new strategy of writing laws that are relevant to the question.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Doibhilin posted:

After I got sick of the Bar/Bri graders giving failing scores to even good essays, one time I hand-copied their "excellent" sample answer into a bluebook and submitted it.

They failed it.

The front-office guy was super pissed when I went to complain about this, and even started spouting off about plagiarism. Because, you know, these practice essays are for course credit or whatever.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mookie posted:

After I got sick of the Bar/Bri graders giving failing scores to even good essays, one time I hand-copied their "excellent" sample answer into a bluebook and submitted it.

They failed it.

This is why you get paid the big bucks. Hilarious.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Mookie posted:

They failed it.

I think every year, in BarBRI classes all around the country, one guy tries to do this to prove a point.

Did the timing of how essays were graded change? I remember they always used new questions, so if you submitted an old answer, it wouldn't necessarily correlate. You wouldn't get a model answer until after you got your dismal score back.

Or is there a different avenue through which BarBRI grades practice essays?

Bluebrick62
Nov 4, 2005

TyChan posted:

I think every year, in BarBRI classes all around the country, one guy tries to do this to prove a point.

Did the timing of how essays were graded change? I remember they always used new questions, so if you submitted an old answer, it wouldn't necessarily correlate. You wouldn't get a model answer until after you got your dismal score back.

Or is there a different avenue through which BarBRI grades practice essays?

In my NY course, they use old questions. You could definitely hand in their sample answer for the same question.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
When I did BarBri, I wrote out the first sample essay they had everyone do, got my low score back, decided it was bullshit and just focused on the multiple choice from that point on. I would have been borderline without the book, but just doing all of the MC in the sections you're weakest in should be enough to pass with a solid margin, as long as you are a good test taker and follow IRAC/make the rule up as appropriate for partial credit during the essays.

Two caveats to this: CA may be different (NY was tough, NJ was a joke, but CA is reportedly in another league) and *everyone* is weak in certain areas even if you think you're strong. This applies to things like wills that no one takes in LS and to things like hearsay that no one memorizes correctly in LS. Conversely, I personally got away with almost no real studying in con law and found the MBE questions on it to be pretty New York Times-able, although that was of course a single bar exam five years ago.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Adar posted:

Two caveats to this: CA may be different (NY was tough, NJ was a joke, but CA is reportedly in another league) and *everyone* is weak in certain areas even if you think you're strong.

What I heard about California is that while the state is not exceptionally tough with the number of covered subject areas, the graders are much harsher than those in other states and give very little, if any, partial credit if you make a mistake of law. The "make up the rule" tactic does not work nearly as well as it does in New York.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I passed two bar exams without ever sitting in any BarBri lecture or submitting any sample essays to anyone, I don't get why anyone bothers with that poo poo

deathdrive83
Sep 21, 2002

Outside by the other worlds.
Hey look, even less of a need for new lawyers:

Nonlawyer at 9th Circuit Beats Toyota on Trademark Law

quote:

The Tabaris hired a lawyer. But after the legal bills racked up, they decided to go pro se. Neither one has any legal training. Lisa Tabari said she would read and do research on the case at night and then grab some sleep in the morning while her husband watched their two young daughters.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

deathdrive83 posted:

Hey look, even less of a need for new lawyers:

Nonlawyer at 9th Circuit Beats Toyota on Trademark Law

If the facts are on your side and you're patient enough to do all the necessary reading and utilize all the available pro se resources, you could be a high school dropout and win cases.

Actually getting any money you're entitled to, though? Heh.

This is probably painfully obvious, but transactional costs and economies of scale can often work in a pro se party's favor because the other, richer side will find the litigation too costly to continue regardless of whether the pro se party is really doing a good job as his/her own attorney. Sometimes there's no economic incentive in prosecuting or defending a case that well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

title of article should be "Persian Internet Used Car Dealers Beat Toyota"

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I passed two bar exams without ever sitting in any BarBri lecture or submitting any sample essays to anyone, I don't get why anyone bothers with that poo poo

Because they use that oh-so-typical line of "Oh well you're already carrying SOOOO much debt, what's a little extra debt to make sure it wasn't all for nothing?"

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Phil I'm going to be wandering around New Orleans tomorrow we should grab a beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What time you going to be here? It'll have to be early afternoon.