Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

WolfensteinBag posted:

haha It's funny you have that one, because when I glanced at it for a second I thought it was the one I was going to suggest! The one I absolutely LOVE is still Bamboo, but it's scissor style, not guillotine style, which is MUCH easier to deal with. It's great because you don't have to cut at a specific angle, it's just like you would with scissors, much more forgiving:

http://www.petco.com/product/13777/Bamboo-Care-Nail-Clipper-Styptic-and-File-for-Dogs.aspx?CoreCat=SBB

I especially love this one in particular because it has a nice grip, is real smooth, and has the sharpest blade out of any clipper I've ever used (which makes more much easier/faster cutting, good for both you and the dog). I still use a cheaper version at work (funny enough, since I'm cutting nails all day) but this is my "fancy" pair that I use on Buddy & the cat. :)

It's entirely possible I'm just *really* unlucky, but I tried these on Kara (45lb lab mix) and they were terrible. The very first cut I made resulted in a huge nick in the blade and I did not find them to be any sharper than the cheapy ones my boyfriend bought when Rusty was a puppy. Which kind of defeated the purpose of getting new ones.

I wound up giving the Bamboo ones to a friend who has a pug and getting a pair of Miller Forge ones for Kara and Rusty, based on recommendations from a few sites. So far I've been happy. I've used them to cut both dogs nails multiple times and they don't have any nicks.

I could have just gotten a bad set of the Bamboo ones though. I've seen a few other people recommend them as really good clippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's really weird, I absolutely love mine. v :) v Bamboo's not like an amazing brand or anything, so I wouldn't put it past the ones you had to be defective. I've had other brand new clippers from other brands who've been lovely like that, so I might have gotten lucky. I like the grip on mine, too, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I really like something bulky to hold on to. I looked up the ones you're talking about & I don't think I'd PERSONALLY like them because the handles are smaller, but this is coming from the person who's shears at work weigh like twice what everyone else's at work weigh just because I like the feeling of something substantial to hang on to. :)

Personally, though, regardless of whatever clipper you wind up going with rivals, if you decide you don't like it I'd try to return it. No sense in hanging on to something you haven't even used because you don't like the feel of it or the way it works. Speaking of, you should see if you can return that other Bamboo clipper you already bought!

PeachHat!
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man LOVES milk!
I have a juvenile ball python and I'm getting a little worried about him. Over the past few months, he hasn't done anything to make me think that he's sick or stressed. He's been very active, eating well, very 'friendly' when he has his time out of his tank, etc. No discolorations in his mouth or skin, so I'm really puzzled.

What has me worried is that I started noticing he was showing signs of an incoming shed...duller colors, cloudy eyes, that sort of thing. So I stopped taking him out and let him alone save for peering into the tank to check in on him every once in a while. I noticed that he'd shed the skin on his head and to about two inches down his neck, but nothing else. He hasn't had an incomplete shed since I moved to a different city and he got a little stressed out with the whole process. But now he looks like a wrinkled old purse from the neck down and I can't imagine it's comfortable at all.

I tried 'soaking' him in a damp pillowcase (something I read as a tip online...if that's really stupid, I'm really sorry)and I'm keeping his soaking dish full...but nothing seems to help. In addition...he's spent the last few days curled up beneath his heating lamp...something he almost never does. He normally comes out and basks for a little while every day, but he seriously hardly seems to move from that spot now. What the heck is up with my snake? Do I need to get him to the vet ASAP or am I overreacting?

Plate
Jul 5, 2006
Love for the rest of us
Fallen Rib
Edit: Nevermind, kitty's back to guzzling his food today. Was probably just a bit of an upset tummy or something.

Plate fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 8, 2010

Dog Jabber
May 19, 2010
I think my hedgehog may be sick, but on the other hand it might just be stress. He's been having weird poops (runny, but a normal color) as well as being lethargic in his own cage and more apt to just fall asleep in my lap if I have him out. Over the past couple days I've been finding his quills with the round follicle at the end still attached in the blankets and towels I let him play in, which makes me think he's quilling. And he tries to roll up when I pick him up, something he never did before (sensitive skin?) Although I did just change his food- probably a poor time to do it, but I didn't know he was quilling and wanted to get him off that Alpo poo poo ASAP- which might account for the poops. The evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of quilling and related stress, but I don't want to just assume that when there could be something actually wrong with him.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Did you change the food all at once? If so maybe go back and start doing it a quarter at a time and see if helps.Upgrading the food is awesome but it's best to take it slow. Do you have an exotic vet already that you might be able to get a check up with? Good luck!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I'm getting used to having a cat as I've moved out into an apartment with my girlfriend. What I've noticed is that her 16-year-old tabby cat keeps splashing the water dish, trying to get into glasses of water/other beverages that are left out, and jumping in the shower both while it is being used and afterward to drink up the delicious running water.

My assumption is that this is just the cat trying to make sure the water is "moving" and hasn't gone stagnant - I dump out the dish and refill it twice a day and it should be big enough to clear her whiskers (although that doesn't matter since she'll mash her entire head and neck into a glass of water in order to lap at what's left). I've caught her having climbed up on the toilet seat a few times, but I don't think she's drank toilet water yet. I keep the lid closed now.

Anyway, I started locking her out of the bathroom (where she has her litter box, water dish and food) while I have a shower because it scared the poo poo out of me the first day in the new apartment when she jumped at the shower curtain, came flying into the shower and ran between my legs while I had soap in my eyes. She sits patiently with her back turned to the door and then yowls at me when I open it and runs inside to drink up the grey water left in the shower.

This behavior is pretty consistent with how she acted before we moved, but the shower thing is new (maybe because her food/water is now in the bathroom, whereas it wasn't before?) She doesn't do stuff like drop food/toys in the water.

My main worry is that it's some sort of kidney thing, as her previous cat started acting weird about water (drinking entire water dishes down in one sitting) when she developed kidney problems. She doesn't seem to drink an excessive amount of water; sometimes she just splashes the poo poo out of the water bowl and then goes and does something else instead of actually drinking the puddles of water she left on the floor. Is this just a "weird cat thing" I have to get used to? Do they make some kind of wacky vibrating water dish that should give her the illusion of having interesting water?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 9, 2010

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a water fountain for my kitty. As well as a whopping 5 water dishes, one of which I keep in the bathtub and have to move for showers, but it reminds me to fill and clean it, another is on the basement stairs! If this is a new development (ask your gf since you just moved in I think)take kitty to the vet. If the cat has always liked running water add a fountain.
http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D2WB-RE-Platinum-Pet-Fountain/dp/B000L3XYZ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1278632605&sr=1-2
This is the one I have, but they make a poo poo ton of varieties. shop around and find the one you like! You need to have it nearish an outlet and the filters can get spendy, but I have run mine without when I forgot to get them, basically then it's just unfiltered tapwater.
All cats must supervise showers, you have to let her.

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 9, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh, good tip. Thanks!

It's not a recent development at all; previously they had glass doors on their showers instead of a curtain, which barred cat ingress.

Another story relating to this is that I decided that maybe she would drink more water if I put it in a mug (since she liked drinking my water). So I did, which meant that at five in the morning the next day she was batting the mug with her paw and sending it skating down the ceramic tile like a hockey puck, over and over.

I'm starting to think maybe she's just really bored. She doesn't seem to like toys, so perhaps I'll have to find something more intellectually stimulating for kitty.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 9, 2010

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Background: I noticed my dog's vulva (is that the right word?) being rather inflamed and really dark colored a couple weeks ago when she was rolling around on the ground / scratching her back on the carpet(?). It really alarmed me so my mom agreed to take her to the vet and she was given some antibiotics and a powder to put on her crotch after a warm compress twice a day.

My mom is, put simply, one of the worst/laziest pet owners I know who actually loves her pets. She used the powder maybe 3 times at all, never on the same day, but she did give the antibiotics correctly. She stopped the powder because "it looks better now" and she isn't waddling. Which is great! Except you can't ask a dog how she's feeling, so who knows if it's actually better yet.

I don't have a lot of influence in the matter because I'm in and out of town a LOT, and I'm only living in the general area for the summer between semesters, or else I'd be the one doing the compresses.

ANYWAY, my question is about her peeing overnight. She was doing it occasionally before the vet trip, so I assume those were due to whatever the irritation was. Though she's still doing it a little bit. Could this be remnants from the infection, or her age (she's 14)? She has also peed when it was storming, but that's not too unusual. I don't mind cleaning up messes, I'm more worried about how to tell if it's something serious. How long should I wait before a followup with the vet is a good idea?

If it's an age thing though, has anyone had luck with just overnight puppypads? I saw it on "It's Me or the Dog" and I trust her methods. I mean, she's understood housetraining for 14 years but having "indoor plumbing" for long nights might be okay? :)

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 9, 2010

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
My dogs poops have been super runny lately. I am trying the ole "canned pumpkin trick" but ... the pumpkin shortage is making this difficult. Seriously. I have been to a million grocery stores.

Is there anything that works like the Magic Pumpkin but ... isn't?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Eris posted:

My dogs poops have been super runny lately. I am trying the ole "canned pumpkin trick" but ... the pumpkin shortage is making this difficult. Seriously. I have been to a million grocery stores.

I've heard good things about cooked sweet potato. I also don't see any reason why cooked squash shouldn't work...

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

A few pages ago, I was recommended powdered fibre like the kind you buy for people. I ended up not needing to use it, but it might be worth a go. I have no idea if you would add it to food or water, or how much you would need though. Then again you'd have to trial and error with pumpkin, too.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

skoolmunkee posted:

A few pages ago, I was recommended powdered fibre like the kind you buy for people. I ended up not needing to use it, but it might be worth a go. I have no idea if you would add it to food or water, or how much you would need though. Then again you'd have to trial and error with pumpkin, too.

I've used Benefiber (because it's tasteless) with Rusty and my cat. For the cat I used 1/4 tsp once a day. For Rusty (65lb dog) I used 1tsp 2x day. I just sprinkle it on their food and make sure there is plenty of water available.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Eris posted:

You can also try a probiotic or yogurt (which contains the same probiotic). Just make sure to only give a little bit or you could end up with the opposite problem! If I ever have to give it to my dog (55lb husky) I'll usually take a pill and break it in half, or if it's a capsule I'll only give him half the powder. Use your own judgment accordingly!

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
I forgot about yogurt. Thanks!!!!!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
A couple online pet stores are selling a supplement (Integrative Therapeutics NAC) meant for humans to help with respiratory problems like asthma. The site just says to give 1/4 a pill to your cat. Is it worthless to try this on my asthmatic cat or is there some merit to human supplements being useless in animals?

w8wtf
Apr 20, 2007

you wouldn't feed your sister or brother or father to another animal (but who knows, maybe you would?)

Dog Jabber posted:

I think my hedgehog may be sick, but on the other hand it might just be stress. He's been having weird poops (runny, but a normal color) as well as being lethargic in his own cage and more apt to just fall asleep in my lap if I have him out. Over the past couple days I've been finding his quills with the round follicle at the end still attached in the blankets and towels I let him play in, which makes me think he's quilling. And he tries to roll up when I pick him up, something he never did before (sensitive skin?) Although I did just change his food- probably a poor time to do it, but I didn't know he was quilling and wanted to get him off that Alpo poo poo ASAP- which might account for the poops. The evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of quilling and related stress, but I don't want to just assume that when there could be something actually wrong with him.

How old is the hedgehog? You were feeding it Alpo dog food? What are you feeding it now?

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
My cat Karl seems to be barfing a lot. I am making a vet appointment, but what is the AVERAGE amount of cat barfs to be expected?

This is my first cat. I am a dog person and I am trying to figure out this crazy thing.

Cats are such cleaaaaan animals my balls.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Pooptron2003 posted:

My cat Karl seems to be barfing a lot. I am making a vet appointment, but what is the AVERAGE amount of cat barfs to be expected?

This is my first cat. I am a dog person and I am trying to figure out this crazy thing.

Cats are such cleaaaaan animals my balls.
"Normal" cats shouldn't barf more than about once a month, which might be attributed to hairballs, eating too fast, whatever. Some cats are pukers and might barf once a week or so on a regular basis, but even if it's just due to a sensitive stomach, it's worth getting checked out by a vet to rule out other issues. Sometimes a food change or smaller portions is all that's needed, but a vet check is definitely the best first step.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!
Any of you guys have experience fixing cat neuroticism? Here's the situation:

I have two cats. One, Tokyo, has always sort of been a bully to the other, but for the most part they got along, made kittenpiles, etc. Everything changed when we brought a dog into the mix a couple of months ago.

When the dog first came, Tokyo was the inquisitive one, and would prance right up to the mutt to investigate. Well, one day we decided to let the dog off his leash in the house, finally. He had never shown agression to the cats, so figured it was safe. Stupid dog siezed the opportunity to "play" with Godzilla, the already-bullied cat. He chased him around, but there was no growling or barking, and dude had his play posture on (front legs down on the ground, butt up in the air). Still, the chasing was no bueno, so I corrected the dog, gave him a loud No, and attempted to boot him outside for a minute. That's when Tokyo went crazy. I think it was the combination of the dog chasing the other cat, and me yelling, that maybe made Tokyo think some crazy attack was happening. He went Full Metal Jacket on the dog, claws out, hissing, howling, etc.

Anyway, since that day, Tokyo will hiss and slap at the dog anytime he even walks by. Dares to look at him. You get the idea. :) Tokyo has also taken on the role of protector, it seems, cause if the dog sniffs at the other cat, Tokyo will run up and attack. He'll position himself between anybody and the dog, and if the dog gets too close, will attack.

This is a problem, but the bigger problem now is that Tokyo isn't eating much (though he is eating some at least), and has started acting VERY aggressively to Godzilla, Mr. meek cat. He also peed outside of the box for the first time ever the other day.

So it's becoming sort of obvious to me that this cat is stressed out over the dog, and still isn't acclimating well. I know that I reacted wrong when the dog chased one of them, but what can I do to correct this behavior/freakishness now that the damage is done? It's impossible to relax with all three evil creatures in the house at the same time. It's a constant game of referee.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Anyones cats (or anything, really...) ever get strangely obsessed with something?

For the past few days my sisters cat has just been sitting/lying on my dresser and staring at himself in the reflection of my cosmetic/magnifying mirror. Not even the mirror part; just the reflection part. He just seemed to notice it the other day, even though I've had it for years.

I generally keep my door open at night so my old cat can come into my room if she wants, but I had the door closed- this morning he pawed/cried at my door for a while until I let him in, and he promptly jumped up and stared at it.

So is he just intrigued by his distorted reflection, a complete narcissist, or does he see into some alternate mirror dimension and is transfixed by it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What exactly is it in blood that sharks are smelling? Hemoglobin?

jcschick
Oct 12, 2004

What's the buzz? Tell me what's happenin'?
Got two kitties that I've been letting out into our fenced-in backyard while I'm out there doing lawn stuff. They are both behind on their shots (I'm making an appointment this week). Yesterday while my cats were indoors another cat shows up out of nowhere. No collar or anything. He walks around the yard rubbing against everything. The question is if I were to let my cats out pre-immunization, could they get whatever this other kitty might have left behind (feline leukemia, etc.)? I can't imagine they'd get anything just from this cat being around their favorite tree, but I don't know.

This is going to be a moot point once I get them to the vet which will be within the week.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Two weeks ago, I adopted a dog, Max, from the local animal shelter. He had kennel cough at that time and they gave me some antibiotics to give him, which I did. However, once the pills stopped Max seemed to get worse. I took him back to the vet yesterday morning and they gave me a stronger antibiotic and, I think, a cough suppressant. Yesterday Max was acting much more like himself, but today he again is acting very lethargic--sleeping A LOT, barely getting off the couch, moving very slowly when he does, and not eating or drinking unless I practically force him. Also, he stumbled briefly just walking to his water dish which makes me think he feels unsteady. There is quite a bit of snot in his nose and (lucky me) he's managed to get snot on my couch, my sheets, and even a friend's shorts.

Is this all relatively normal for a dog suffering from kennel cough/upper respiratory infection? And should I give his antibiotics more time to work or should I take him back to the vet asap? I have a vet appointment on Friday morning to get his vaccination booster shots.

Everything I've looked up so far has been so conflicting, so I'm asking you guys. I've never owned a dog before and he just looks so sad and miserable that it breaks my heart. Any advice?

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
My dog, Chelsea, is afraid of bicycles. We're working with methods recommended by our trainer to deal with it, and we've been seeing quite a bit of progress. Just yesterday, she sat calmly while I dispensed treats as a parade of ten little girls on bicycles went by her about eight feet away. This was awesome, as when she gets really freaked, she tries to scare the bikes away by barking.

Also yesterday, the neighborhood association chemically treated just about every single bit of grass around the house where I live, so I was walking Chelsea along one side of the street this morning to keep her off the lawn. A bike I didn't see came up from behind us, not four feet away. Chelsea got scared and barked (I grabbed her leash so she couldn't get more than a couple inches from me pretty much immediately after the first bark), the bike swerved and went up onto the curb, and the teenage boy on it partly fell off. I say partly because he didn't actually take a spill, but one foot hit the ground. I apologized and explained that Chelsea barked because she was afraid, not because she wanted to hurt him. I was stupid and stressed and trying to get my stressed dog away from the bike, and didn't ask if he was okay, but he hadn't said anything to my apology and had just immediately started checking out his bike. I figured he wasn't interested in talking, and just got Chelsea home as fast as I could.

After that long lead-up, here's my question: did I handle that alright? So far as I know, nobody got hurt and there's no harm done, there wasn't a lot I could do about a bike that came up from behind us, but I feel like a horrible idiot anyway, and I'm (unreasonably?) worried about what might happen if he takes this up with the association. :(

I already left a message with the trainer, so we'll see what she says about the next step, but did I suck as much at reacting to the situation as I think I did?

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread or not but:

I am friends with a married couple who after 15 years are splitting up amicably (just feel their lives are going in different directions). They're fixing up their house and will be listing it in October or November, so probably a minimum of 6 months before they move out. Both are planning on getting apartments when they separate.

The question is, though, what to do with their 2 12 year old indoor/outdoor cats (I know, I know). They'll keep them if they can--they have a dog who is definitely going with the wife, and I don't think it will be too hard for her to find a dog-friendly rental that also accepts cats. She doesn't think they should be allowed out in an apartment situation though, but I'm having trouble convincing her that they'll be okay as indoor-only cats. My examples of my strays who adore being inside now, or my one cat who came from an indoor/outdoor home and now refuses to go outside, don't seem to make much of a difference. Does anyone have any tips on how to talk to her about his?

Also, if neither of them can keep them, any tips on rehoming them? They're cuddly and friendly although one is a bit nuts. Hopefully that won't happen as they're pretty dedicated to keeping them, though, but they've asked me advice on what to do with their pets repeatedly so I figure I'd come here for PI's opinions.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
My 19-year-old Siamese, Sasha, woke up at 4am this morning and began to urinate on my bed. Since then, she has also twice thrown up and defecated. The peeing is somewhat common (she tends to pee on the bed once a night), but this time there was blood mixed in. This happened in September; the vet took a blood test and prescribed her Noroclav. At this point we were told she had a week to live.. 9 months ago. Now she is back on the Noroclav; I called the vet this morning and picked up another months' worth (however, I didn't take her in). I don't know how long to wait to take her into the vet because I'm not totally sure how long this stuff takes to kick in. Apparently the side effects are lethargy; she's been sleeping since I gave her the pill but it could be totally unrelated.

I was hesitant to take her in today because with her age, they're going to tell me to do one thing. I'm not working so I can't really afford a blood test and then possible euthanasia. She's been eating and drinking fine otherwise, and is mouthy as ever.

Suggestions? I'll take her in to get checked out if I have to, but I don't want to wait however many days this stuff takes to work if she's still suffering.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

For a lost dog, is there anything that you can do beyond spreading the word via fliers, actively looking for him, and contacting local shelters/animal control/any pet-oriented business someone might take him to?

Now we know our dog is somewhere in the suburban residential area around my parents' house (some roofers four blocks from their house saw him like 20 minutes before we came to ask around and hand out fliers around noon) and now he's been missing for a full day and a few hours.

During the day we have on and off-duty animal control people looking for him (the off-duty guy lives on my parents' street) and he has tags with contact information and the first kids who told us they saw him actually picked him up, looked at the tags, and didn't call the number or anything, just played with him and let him go (WHAT THE gently caress).

He was right next to a creek when he was spotted, so I'm not worried about the little guy getting water, and thank god the weather's been really nice and mild for the last 30ish hours (the time he's been missing), but it feels really lovely to not be able to do anything during the night while he's out there alone.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Power of Pecota posted:

Lost dog

Don't forget craigslist, lost/found ad in the physical newspaper, flyers at veterinarians, and petharbor.com

If he's microchipped, make sure your chip info (phone, etc.) is up to date with the chip manufacturer.

And don't just call the local shelters, go in there often to look at every dog, and be a nuisance. They'll remember that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

petharbor.com sounds awesome and I really thank you for the info, it sounds just like what can help us.

I'm writing the craigslist ad now, his microchip is up to date, and I'll be sure to hassle the hell out of some shelters tomorrow. Thanks so much!

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
My cat Salem is hopping around keeping one hind leg off the floor. It's the same leg she broke when she was around a year old (she's ten now.)

I think she needs to see the vet but my father thinks we should leave it half an hour and see if she spontaneously recovers. Thoughts?

EDIT: Rang vet and got appointment for 3:40, so I guess they don't think she's an emergency. Any advice for in the meantime?

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 15, 2010

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I'd say just keep things quiet so she doesn't feel the need to move around overly much. My largely uninformed opinion is that it probably isn't an emergency (as in need to get there ASAP), but it's good you're taking her to the vet today. I have a dog who broke his leg as a youngster and even now like 6 years later will inexplicably go 3-legged lame sometimes, always with that leg. It often corresponds to sudden bad weather (cold and damp especially) but sometimes it's for no apparent reason. We keep a supply of emergency pain medication on hand for him (from the vet, as we have taken him in but no longer do so every time it happens on their recommendation).

It didn't happen for the first 4 or 5 years after the break, but the vets aren't concerned. The first time we did a very thorough exam including radiographs and all the vets found were some minor bony changes, which were expected in a dog his age with his injury. Arthritis was the diagnosis.

They did say they don't want to pain to go away entirely--we give him enough medication to keep it manageable, but still keep him quiet and do only very controlled exercise until he's feeling better, which has never taken more than 3 days. Some pain is good to keep them from doing too much and aggravating it.

Obviously I don't know what's going on with your cat but I figured I'd share my experience to hopefully put your mind at ease a bit.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Hey all, sorry to bother with this, my folks have a freshwater pond and have had goldfish living in it for a couple of years now. It is the same group that was originally introduced when the pond was first built with no additions and only one death so far. Recently, after a week of unusually hot weather (this is Scotland) one of the goldfish looks very unwell. He has greenish strands growing from his flanks and greeny gills. We have isolated him in a 'hospital' bucket as soon as we noticed the infection and inspected the other fish for similar symptoms but they all look clean.

My folks noticed that they were being pretty aggressive to each other in the week before, chasing each other around the pond and knocking around the plants as they tried to hide from each other.

We have tried treating him with common fish infection solutions but they don't seem to have had any affect. He doesn't seem too distressed, although he isn't nearly as active as the others. He doesn't go for food and has lost a fair bit of weight.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Anyone know what this is? We think it is cotton wool, but the guides say it should be grey not green.

waitaminute
Oct 16, 2009
Counting this awesome title, my friend only owes me 25.05 now. And I won't let that nickle slide either.
So, flea collars are awful right? I think I've heard that somewhere, maybe in here, even though I can't find it in any of those megathreads. My mother was debating on getting flea collars for her dogs, and I told her "eh maybe don't do that, I heard flea collars are really awful". It might have helped if I could remember WHY they are awful but at the time all I had was "they're awful, I heard it somewhere :downs: "

So I got home yesterday, and the dogs have flea collars. I didn't mention yet that one of them already has fleas, they're both on Advantage but it wasn't enough I guess. So my question is how awful are flea collars and why are they? And I suppose if there's some sort of cost effective way to get those fleas off that would help too, although I fully expect someone to argue that if she can't afford the top of the line poo poo to get those fleas off and has to resort to collars instead, she doesn't have enough money to own dogs.

I really know nothing about anything

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

waitaminute posted:

So, flea collars are awful right? I think I've heard that somewhere, maybe in here, even though I can't find it in any of those megathreads. My mother was debating on getting flea collars for her dogs, and I told her "eh maybe don't do that, I heard flea collars are really awful". It might have helped if I could remember WHY they are awful but at the time all I had was "they're awful, I heard it somewhere :downs: "

So I got home yesterday, and the dogs have flea collars. I didn't mention yet that one of them already has fleas, they're both on Advantage but it wasn't enough I guess. So my question is how awful are flea collars and why are they? And I suppose if there's some sort of cost effective way to get those fleas off that would help too, although I fully expect someone to argue that if she can't afford the top of the line poo poo to get those fleas off and has to resort to collars instead, she doesn't have enough money to own dogs.

I really know nothing about anything

At best, flea collars might only help around the area of the collar. At worst, the animal might have a bad reaction to the chemicals in the collar. I don't really have a good reference link for you, but anecdotally, I've known people who have dealt with bad reactions to these collars, and have large vet bills to show for it.

She should probably contact her vet regarding alternate flea control methods. Some people have no luck with Advantage, so it's possible that something like Frontline, or Sentinel tablets, might work better in her particular situation.

Also, does your mother have carpet in her home? How often does she vacuum? A lot of flea issues can be minimized by regular (every day) vacuuming. She could also try putting diatomaceous earth, or possibly boric acid powder, on the carpet as a means to dry out insects.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

My question is not about pet ownership, but an issue that recently popped up between myself and my mom/aunt.

My husband and I are upgrading from a condo to a house and plan on having a big party to celebrate. Since my mom and my aunt live a few hours away they plan on driving down for the party and staying a few days to visit. The issue is they both want to bring their dogs down, but my husband is severely allergic to them, so much so that if he is around one for any length of time he typically needs an emergency inhaler to open his lungs.

I already told my mom that I don't want them to bring the dogs, but she insists that giving them both baths will keep the allergens down, and since her dog has hair it won't bother him that much. While I am sure my aunt will understand and choose not to bring her dog, my mom is the type of person who will and then say "Oh well, looks like he has to stay inside."

My mom already knows how bad his allergies are, but is there any stronger way to emphasize the fact that my husband cannot breathe around dogs, even on allergy medication, so having one in the house for fours days would be torture? Unfortunately I know I cannot do much to force her not to bring her dogs apart from uninviting her to the party but that opens another can of worms I'd rather not delve into.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
It's your husband's house too, and he has the right to ban dogs from it for any reason he wants, from allergies to nice carpets. If his allergies really are that severe, there's no way anyone should be bringing dogs over. Straight up tell your mom that she'll have to find alternate arrangements for her dogs. Period.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Power of Pecota posted:

lost dog

You could also buy an ad on Facebook that only shows to people in your city. I saw one while ago and thought it was a great idea. Not sure how much they cost though, I think you can purchase it either by number of views or number of clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Opera Bitch posted:

My question is not about pet ownership, but an issue that recently popped up between myself and my mom/aunt.

My husband and I are upgrading from a condo to a house and plan on having a big party to celebrate. Since my mom and my aunt live a few hours away they plan on driving down for the party and staying a few days to visit. The issue is they both want to bring their dogs down, but my husband is severely allergic to them, so much so that if he is around one for any length of time he typically needs an emergency inhaler to open his lungs.

I already told my mom that I don't want them to bring the dogs, but she insists that giving them both baths will keep the allergens down, and since her dog has hair it won't bother him that much. While I am sure my aunt will understand and choose not to bring her dog, my mom is the type of person who will and then say "Oh well, looks like he has to stay inside."

My mom already knows how bad his allergies are, but is there any stronger way to emphasize the fact that my husband cannot breathe around dogs, even on allergy medication, so having one in the house for fours days would be torture? Unfortunately I know I cannot do much to force her not to bring her dogs apart from uninviting her to the party but that opens another can of worms I'd rather not delve into.

Is it typical for your mom to be inconsiderate to your husband? Because it sounds like she's trying to take a poo poo in the middle of his (your) new home.

I would probably tell her that you're happy to have her visit for a few days, but if she brings the dog, she'll need to stay in a pet friendly hotel. You can't risk your husband's health for your mother's whims.