Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
It was an old MMO for PC. Perhaps not a full fledged MMO like today, but a decent number of people on the servers. Was before broadband. Game was played in first-person using a lovely 3D engine with sprites for everything. The game took place in some sort of dream world. There were different "factions" (guilds) you could join. Each faction believed the "dream" did / did not represent something. I only played PvE. Been driving myself insane trying to remember the name of that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arctic
Dec 4, 2005

Dr. Glasscock posted:

It was an old MMO for PC. Perhaps not a full fledged MMO like today, but a decent number of people on the servers. Was before broadband. Game was played in first-person using a lovely 3D engine with sprites for everything. The game took place in some sort of dream world. There were different "factions" (guilds) you could join. Each faction believed the "dream" did / did not represent something. I only played PvE. Been driving myself insane trying to remember the name of that one.

Sounds a good deal bit like Meridian 59 except for the dream part.

http://meridian59.neardeathstudios.com/M59-Screenshots.shtml

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
The game I'm looking for is from the mid-90s, and was on the PC.

The best way I can describe it is that it's a game show in the future, where the contestants are robots. If I remember correctly, it's got some similarities to wheel of fortune.

Please help...

Birthday Bear
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn
I am pretty much convinced no-one will ever get this in a million years because I have searched forever and never found it. I have very little to go on and can only really be vague about it.

I know it's not rebelstar raiders 1 or 2, or any laser squad game. this was way before those.

it's a very, VERY, early turn-based tactical shooter set on a spaceship. you have to get from one side of the ship to the other I think. the version I played was on the commodore 64. I *think* you get to choose your team before you go, and I am fairly sure part of your team consists of robots. grenades play an important part if I remember right.

the combat is not the classic turn based top-down view, I think I remember the combat involving some kind of picture of your opponents and as you killed them their picture would disappear

sorry to be so INCREDIBLY vague, but the last time I played this game was probably around 1985. I would dearly love to get a ROM of it to play on my C64 emulator just because it's been such a deep memory for such a long time and I am desperate to know what this game is/was like and how much I have misremebered

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Birthday Bear posted:

I am pretty much convinced no-one will ever get this in a million years because I have searched forever and never found it. I have very little to go on and can only really be vague about it.

I know it's not rebelstar raiders 1 or 2, or any laser squad game. this was way before those.

it's a very, VERY, early turn-based tactical shooter set on a spaceship. you have to get from one side of the ship to the other I think. the version I played was on the commodore 64. I *think* you get to choose your team before you go, and I am fairly sure part of your team consists of robots. grenades play an important part if I remember right.

the combat is not the classic turn based top-down view, I think I remember the combat involving some kind of picture of your opponents and as you killed them their picture would disappear

sorry to be so INCREDIBLY vague, but the last time I played this game was probably around 1985. I would dearly love to get a ROM of it to play on my C64 emulator just because it's been such a deep memory for such a long time and I am desperate to know what this game is/was like and how much I have misremebered

Assuming you're saying it's not Laser Squad: Nemesis, are you sure it wasn't the original Laser Squad game from 1988? http://www.giantbomb.com/laser-squad/61-646/

There's also Space Crusade, a turn based game based on Warhammer 40,000. The soldiers look like robots if you don't know what a WH40k space marine looks like: http://www.giantbomb.com/space-crusade/61-16802/

Both of these are C64 games, but are also either top-down or isometric. But still, these are my two best guesses.

Birthday Bear
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Assuming you're saying it's not Laser Squad: Nemesis, are you sure it wasn't the original Laser Squad game from 1988? http://www.giantbomb.com/laser-squad/61-646/

There's also Space Crusade, a turn based game based on Warhammer 40,000. The soldiers look like robots if you don't know what a WH40k space marine looks like: http://www.giantbomb.com/space-crusade/61-16802/

Both of these are C64 games, but are also either top-down or isometric. But still, these are my two best guesses.

both are way, way more advanced than this was. this was probably one of the very earliest tactical games of it's kind. no doubt it's lost in the mists of time, but it had a very profound effect on my young brain and I fucken loved laser squad and rebelstar.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
There's something I've just remembered -

It was a PSOne game, I think, and the title was something like 'V 2000' but I can't remember it properly and searching that name gives me nothing.

I only saw previews of it way back when so I'm not sure if it was an RTS or what, but the stuff I distinctly remember is a number of globes (probably) representing worlds, one of which was a chequerboard. For whatever reason there were also these dragons or at least some kind of huge flying monster, the most prominent of which in my memories was some kind of zombie thing with decomposing flesh and the like.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Frankosity posted:

There's something I've just remembered -

It was a PSOne game, I think, and the title was something like 'V 2000' but I can't remember it properly and searching that name gives me nothing.

I only saw previews of it way back when so I'm not sure if it was an RTS or what, but the stuff I distinctly remember is a number of globes (probably) representing worlds, one of which was a chequerboard. For whatever reason there were also these dragons or at least some kind of huge flying monster, the most prominent of which in my memories was some kind of zombie thing with decomposing flesh and the like.

Well there's this: V2000.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Saint Septimus posted:

Well there's this: V2000.

ffffffff

I feel vindicated that for once my memory didn't fail me but I should really not try to do this stuff at 4 AM.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

Arctic posted:

Sounds a good deal bit like Meridian 59 except for the dream part.

http://meridian59.neardeathstudios.com/M59-Screenshots.shtml

Holy poo poo that looks a lot like I remember. Don't think it's that game though. EXTREMELY SIMILIAR though.

Edit: Looked at some more shots of Meridian. The game I'm thinking of looks almost identical to Meridian. I know I'm not making up the dream thing, I can't be remembering it wrong.

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 9, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In the thread about first gamers we played, I got thinking about one of the first games I ever SAW running, in a store. It was an Amiga game, and a side-scroller, it stars some kind of robot. I heard the name once before, and it was something weird, something that didn't suggest robots at all. It had far superior graphics and sound to either the PC or NES games of the time, I remember it because I remember being blown away. Not enough to try to buy an Amiga though.

If someone knows, then THIS TIME I HAVE TO WRITE DOWN THE drat TITLE. Because this comes up once every few years, someone tells me the title, and then I forget again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the thread about first gamers we played, I got thinking about one of the first games I ever SAW running, in a store. It was an Amiga game, and a side-scroller, it stars some kind of robot. I heard the name once before, and it was something weird, something that didn't suggest robots at all. It had far superior graphics and sound to either the PC or NES games of the time, I remember it because I remember being blown away. Not enough to try to buy an Amiga though.

If someone knows, then THIS TIME I HAVE TO WRITE DOWN THE drat TITLE. Because this comes up once every few years, someone tells me the title, and then I forget again.

I think I played this briefly on my amiga. Atomic Robo-kid? http://www.giantbomb.com/atomic-robo-kid/61-307/ and http://www.mobygames.com/game/atomic-robo-kid/screenshots

It was unique in that you could usually land and walk around, as well as fly around.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Birthday Bear posted:

Sounds like Shadowfire to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think I played this briefly on my amiga. Atomic Robo-kid? http://www.giantbomb.com/atomic-robo-kid/61-307/ and http://www.mobygames.com/game/atomic-robo-kid/screenshots

It was unique in that you could usually land and walk around, as well as fly around.
No, that's not it. Like I said, it has a title that is really weird and has nothing to do with robots. The robot looked kind of like an ED-209.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, that's not it. Like I said, it has a title that is really weird and has nothing to do with robots. The robot looked kind of like an ED-209.

Walker.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/walker/screenshots

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nope, definitely not.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Is there any chance you could say "it scrolls the other way", or "worse graphics", or something, rather than "nope"?

edited to add: The Killing Game Show aka Fatal Rewind
http://hol.abime.net/2575

Gromit fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 9, 2010

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gromit posted:

Is there any chance you could say "it scrolls the other way", or "worse graphics", or something, rather than "nope"?
Oh, sorry. I'm going off of memories when I was about eight years old here. The much more recent memory I (don't) have is of its title though. It's something...organic, and I think it has two words.

edit: yep, that's the one. That is a weird-rear end title for a side-scrolling robot game.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Well, there's Jeff Minter's Iridis Alpha, although I think that only came out on the C64. That was a side-scrolling shooter in which you controlled a ship that could fly through the level or land, sprout feet, and walk around.

Failing that, how about The Killing Game Show?

Edit: Oops, didn't see the two edits above, but I guess we were all on the right page.

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 10, 2010

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

quote:

This one might be a bit obscure. I once picked up an extremely cheap bargain bin game, for windows, I'm pretty sure it was late 90s or v.early 2000s.

It was set in a futuristic city and you flew around in your flying car. I think you were some sort of mercenary who could do missions for the local law enforcement or for gangs. You could shoot stuff, it was set in third person and could be pretty fast paced.
There wasn't much more to the game, but I distinctly remember that the main areas of the city was connected by a large flying car highway, and there was a sports stadium I think.

The game wasn't all that good to be honest, but it's name has been bugging me.

This game was not G-Police, I already thought it might have been, but that seems to be a better game.

This was a few pages/years back, and I'm reasonably certain the game is Crime Cities. I, too, shopped for bargain games at Pic 'n Save.

Another one someone mentioned forever ago for the N64 sounded like it could have been Off-Road Challenge, though I'm not certain on that. I can't tell if that has the bouncing characters in the trucks or not. That and Monster Truck Madness are the only monster truck games I can think of for the 64.

There's this old, old (red, green, and yellow) shareware DOS game I played where you were on this checkerboard field and the goal was to move forward to the finish line in each stage. It was turn-based, with you moving one square per turn and an assortment of robot enemies who took their turn simultaneously, trying to move to the space you occupied to kill you. You could add or remove any adjacent tile in a turn in an attempt to block off encroaching robots or build bridges across gaps in the playfield. It got pretty hard pretty quickly.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Perhaps Turrican?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope, definitely not.

Walker was definitely cool, though. Travel through time, blow poo poo up. loving awesome.

My vote's for The Killing Game Show, which still looks good to this day. The reflections in the water had me all mouth-agape the first time I saw them.

ninja edit: Oops, you already said that's what it was.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GeneralFai posted:

Walker was definitely cool, though. Travel through time, blow poo poo up. loving awesome.

My vote's for The Killing Game Show, which still looks good to this day. The reflections in the water had me all mouth-agape the first time I saw them.

ninja edit: Oops, you already said that's what it was.
Yeah, sorry. Shoulda bolded it I guess.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Kashwashwa posted:

The game I'm looking for is from the mid-90s, and was on the PC.

The best way I can describe it is that it's a game show in the future, where the contestants are robots. If I remember correctly, it's got some similarities to wheel of fortune.

Please help...

Well, after searching and searching I actually found the game I was looking for...

http://www.mobygames.com/game/lexi-cross

It's seriously a great game. Man I've got awesome memories of playing that in my dad's old shop.

Birthday Bear
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn

Sonance posted:

Sounds like Shadowfire to me.

that's the fucker. good job, cheers.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
This game is either an NES or turbografx game - a side scroller with a boss rush mode. I can't remember much ov it, but I think one of the bosses was a samurai or probably a big rear end dude with a sword. Yeah it's vague, but I can't remember anything else as this was probably in '89 or '90.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

game came out pretty recently, it was maybe a year or two years ago? you were an interplanetary warrior or something like that, and it would play melodic and "nice" music while you were being chased by monsters

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Alberto Basalm posted:

game came out pretty recently, it was maybe a year or two years ago? you were an interplanetary warrior or something like that, and it would play melodic and "nice" music while you were being chased by monsters

What system?

GymnastyThom
Nov 26, 2005
Do you smell something? You know what that reminds me of? That smells like.. vampire shit.
All right yall, First person dungeon crawling game. a lot of voice work, a LOT. I remember a bunch of goblins or little people singing a song about the evil dude, kuul kuum or something, it went "how come kuul kuum, how come?". I remember your inventory was represented as a scroll at the bottom of the screen. I also remember that at the very beginning of the game there was a secret spot in the wall that you could find a super powered dagger that would own everyone in the first half of the game but if you relied on it you would suck with swords and everything else by the end. shadow something? skull something? god i dont know.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

GymnastyThom posted:

All right yall, First person dungeon crawling game. a lot of voice work, a LOT. I remember a bunch of goblins or little people singing a song about the evil dude, kuul kuum or something, it went "how come kuul kuum, how come?". I remember your inventory was represented as a scroll at the bottom of the screen. I also remember that at the very beginning of the game there was a secret spot in the wall that you could find a super powered dagger that would own everyone in the first half of the game but if you relied on it you would suck with swords and everything else by the end. shadow something? skull something? god i dont know.

Stonekeep.

GymnastyThom
Nov 26, 2005
Do you smell something? You know what that reminds me of? That smells like.. vampire shit.

Saint Septimus posted:

Stonekeep.

You're a real nice guy, I don't know if people tell you that often enough.

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Glasscock posted:

This sounds awfully familiar. I remember playing an MMO similar to that, it placed a large emphasis on player interaction. I believe leveling up (or some major component like that) required getting mentored by other players. I remember learning about it when I read a gaming magazine that had a segment on MMOs and free ones on the side.

I want to say this was around 99 (give or take a couple years), does that sound right? I'm dying to know the name of this MMO.

Hunkty Krunkty
Jun 13, 2007

Through this stance, you channel the quiet dignity of a circus clown in the midst of a thunderstorm.
This will probably be really tough but I remember this freeware game. It was made with the games factory or multimedia fusion, one of those. All I remember is that it was a platformer and you played as a small orange ball with a face. Occasionally you could turn into "Rambob", which was the normal ball but with a red bandana. When this happened the character would say "RAMBOB TIME!" in a high pitched voice and you had to battle a wave of enemies.

Sounds weird but I swear I played it...

Edit: nevermind it was "Out of the Pit"

Hunkty Krunkty fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 16, 2010

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 30, 2014

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Jesto posted:

This one has been nagging at the back of my head.

It was either a NES, Genesis or SNES game, I'm not sure, but leaning towards NES. In it you were this woman I think, walking around a maze with a beam sword weapon, the layout was kind of like the original Zelda in how you moved around the screen. The floor was a bright green color in the starting area I think.

What really sticks out in my memory is the character would occasionally reach a room where she would start spinning and morph into a little red fighter ship, and the game would suddenly shift into a top-down shooter blasting enemies and bosses until the next area was reached.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

The Guardian Legend I think.

bledking
Sep 4, 2003
I'M SORRY, I DIDN'T MEAN TO CRUSH YOUR FACE!

Andrigaar posted:

I was going to say Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken, but that's on SNES. But I accidentally found out that Target Earth is the game in the series before Cybernator and involves and mech and a level falling through clouds.

Dunno about the boss though, I've never played it.

EDIT: Found an L/P I used to look for a cloud level. The last video looks like it's the game (Youtube), and now I must play this since Cybernator is one the best games ever (if you ask me).

Wow, that's totally it. Target Earth.
Thanks so much.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
There was this old NES game where you were holding on some sort of hovercraft or something, and you would go through space and would get to a space station. Once you were there you would have to fight inside and set it to self destruct. After you do that you have to escape before it blows up.

Any ideas?

Edit: Found it on my own by a stroke of luck, Air Fortress

Fizzle fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 30, 2010

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I'm searching for a game that is somewhat old, around 95-96 I think, cannot remember the year exactly.

It's a top-down WRPG with paperdolls for everything your mouse pointer is looking at, whether it is your character or a monster, also your character can change how he/she looks when they put on equipment, such as plate mail and so on.

I think it starts out with you going to meet someone in the forest and when you return to the village it is either sacked or overrun with enemies causing you to flee.

Sorry if it is very vague, I cannot remember exactly what happened, therefore I posted here in this thread. :)

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Been trying to remember 2 for a few years. Both old P&C Adventure games.

One had you going into a video game, pairing up with a partner (only one you could pick was the naga, the others would get you killed straight off.), and travelling all over to do something, your PC starts off as a computer because he's too "mundane", lter shedding this. You also fight a big computer in what appears to be a spelling bee, eventually winning despite it's HAL9000-ness, by using a golf tee, for the letter t.

Other is an older one, my mother was the one who played, only a few sparse things I can remember, Grues whenever it was dark, drink milk to see in the dark, and some woman with a shotgun in a trailer home, which is where you get the milk. Also, whenever you died, your method of death would be in the form of a stained glass window on the game over screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

On3moresoul posted:

This sounds awfully familiar. I remember playing an MMO similar to that, it placed a large emphasis on player interaction. I believe leveling up (or some major component like that) required getting mentored by other players. I remember learning about it when I read a gaming magazine that had a segment on MMOs and free ones on the side.

I want to say this was around 99 (give or take a couple years), does that sound right? I'm dying to know the name of this MMO.

Meridian 59?

• Locked thread