Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spiffness posted:

You aren't dragging your foot, you are just hovering your heel a few inches above the pavement. Toes up. If you are hitting crap with your feet your are choosing a terrible place to stick your leg out.

Yeah, thats what I was saying, though not as clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

-edit nevermind

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 7, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I learned today that a slipper clutch is the poo poo for backing it in. And that a KTM 690 SMC really is a phenominal bike. Goddamn fast.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

I learned today that a slipper clutch is the poo poo for backing it in. And that a KTM 690 SMC really is a phenominal bike. Goddamn fast.

I love my SMC, and the slipper clutch. It's a fantastic commuter bike, my ride to work in the morning is reason enough to get me out of bed.

Big speed bump? Jump it!
Tight corner? Back it in!
...then wheelie out!
Coming to a stop in the company car park? Stoppie time!

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

I love my SMC, and the slipper clutch. It's a fantastic commuter bike, my ride to work in the morning is reason enough to get me out of bed.

Big speed bump? Jump it!
Tight corner? Back it in!
...then wheelie out!
Coming to a stop in the company car park? Stoppie time!

I hate you for making me want my Duke 690 even worse when I can't afford it yet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What exactly does the "slipper" clutch do?

My 07 690 SM has the clutch release very late and it sort of "slips," I guess. Especially when starting from a stop in 1st. It doesn't grab very hard and seems like it needs to be adjusted to be more "tight."

At any rate, I need a new rear tire. I'm not sure if it's really worth investing in some intermediate tire or anything since I'll be doing mostly road. Any recommendations? Does it really matter if it matches my front?

Also, I need to change the oil. I used rotella t I think it was on my last bike. Will that work just fine on mine? I haven't downloaded a manual yet. How often should I be changing the oil and filter?

Lastly, how often to clean/lube the chain? I use kerosene and the white teflon lube/spray. What changes if I'm in the dirt?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Someone can explain it a lot better but essentially a slipper gradually engages on a hard downshift allowing the wheel to keep spinning. Without a slipper the wheel will hop and skip as the clutch fights the rotation.

Ive adjusted my chain twice in like 8K miles because of the chaingaurd making slap and jumping a tooth not possible. Clean and lube every 300-500 miles or after a hard mud/dirt/track session.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

What exactly does the "slipper" clutch do?

Basically when you drop it down a couple of gears quickly, the revs and gearing (and therefore the speed the wheel is turning at) won't match your road speed, so even the wheel is still spinning, it's sliding along the road. When this happens it sends force back through the drivetrain. What a slipper clutch does is use that force to slip clutch enough that the wheel speed matches road speed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Alright, thanks

I can't find the owners manual for my bike at all. I find the smc and the 690 super moto le.

http://www.ktm.com/690-Supermoto-Limited-Edition.272.0.html?&detailview=4&cHash=dcbf8829e1

Is the one there for the 2007 model pretty much the same? The bike in the photo in the manual seems just a little different.

Mine is a 2007 690 SM

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit: nevermind, 400cc thread was updated.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 9, 2010

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Christoff posted:

Also, I need to change the oil. I used rotella t I think it was on my last bike. Will that work just fine on mine? I haven't downloaded a manual yet. How often should I be changing the oil and filter?

Reccomended oil change on the 690 LC4 is every 3000mi, but if you hoon it around you might want to change it more often.

The engine is designed for 10W60 full synthetic (KTM obviously reccomends the pricey Motorex stuff) and you should be changing filters and screens when you change the oil. There are two different filters to change and as I remember two screens too. Seperately they are expensive but you can buy a service kit (KTM part no. 00050000069) that has everything you need but the oil.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Traded one of my scooters for a KLR250. Really enjoying it on these lovely New Orleans roads. I'm not a big guy so it gets going pretty quick. Only thing is it's a 1994 which came in a teal/purple color scheme, but the PO painted it olive. I wanted teal and purple :(

You can see specks of awesome peeping out. Plan is to just ride the poo poo out it, and not worry about any aesthetic aspect whosoever- scheduled maintenance only, get crunk.

What are yalls thoughts on these? People seem to generally like them but I don't see many around or for sale.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

90s paint jobs were the best. Sometimes I miss my purple/fascia/pink/whatever 600 ninja

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Traded one of my scooters for a KLR250.
Not a huge amount of information online for these bikes, but they seem like solid bikes. Only thing that I have heard is make sure you keep on top of valve adjustments. Ride it hard, someday I will have to try out the little brother of the KLR tractor

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So I'm loving my sumo so far but sometimes I wonder if I was a bit too impulsive with my 07 690 SM purchase. It doesn't seem as sumo as other bikes in terms of tight/nimble/etc. And it's definitely goofing looking. But, for mostly street riding with an occasional trail did I make the right choice sumo wise? Was there anything better to hold out for price wise? (3-5k). Either way I don't think I'll ever go back to sport bikes.

At any rate. I'm about to take the plunge on the following.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/3/19731/ITEM/Alpinestars-Tech-7-Supermoto-Boots.aspx

These seem to offer a ridiculous amount of protection, which is good. But drat they're expensive. But I'm wondering if this "one" time investment would be worth it. I mean, I won't be dragging feet (at least any time soon) or doing any serious racing. Would I have to adjust my brake and shift levers? Could I walk around comfortably in them if need be? I mean is there any major "sumo" differences in this besides the replacement sole? I really don't care how ridiculous I look because they're my drat ankles. Also, how would they be for off-road riding? And just day to day riding with the occasional spirited/canyon ride and normal commuting?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/24806/ITEM/AFX-FX-37-DS-Multi-Helmet.aspx?SiteID=SLI

Pretty dang cheap and the reviews seem favorable.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=74402&highlight=AFX+FX-37DS

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-737098.html

They even got a nice KTM orange one

But the blue is also nice

So, this helmet or a flat out mx helmet + goggles? I do have a sport bike helmet but It seems I could ear the above on highways

Also just took the military sport bike riders course. Was pretty drat awkward on my sumo but overall a good experience.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 17, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You can certainly get 'more sumo', but you'll also get much less street bike.

In the sane for the street, but less power and hard to find category there is the Husky 610, which is a great bike... but you already own a 690 SM, I'd be hard pressed to recommend a switch.

Then in the 'holy poo poo this is a real SM isnt it' category you've got:

Husky 510
Husky 450 SMR
KTM 450 SMR
KTM 525 SM converts
KTM 625 SMC
KTM 660 SMC
The Husaberg line of supermotos... I'd tell you the names but I honestly don't know off the top of my head. There are 400's, there are 500's, there are 600's (I think) and they are all bloody amazing.

There are others but you never see them.

Oh, and there is the DRZ 400 of course or the WR250X, these won't appeal to you on any level at this point.

All of the bikes have 5 stroke engines for the street (Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust, Rebuild), pathetic little gas tanks, might not have keys or electric starts, pathetic little headlights just to pass DOT, no tach or minimal dirt bike/racing computers, horribly uncomfortable seats and engines that will happily kill you if you gently caress up the throttle (this is the fun part!).

They are stunning, balls to the wall, mind warping machines on the track and not at all meant to actually be used on the street, though you can. If you are crazy enough, your commute is under 60 miles, and you love doing your own maintenance.

I've left off the Aprilias because for 3-5K they offer nothing for you. What's listed above you might be able to find straddling that 5k price point. If you are patient and lucky.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 17, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The 690 is definitely the literbike of supermotos. We should meet up for a ride at some point and you could have a go on my DRZ and see what you think, it's a very different experience.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Z3n posted:

The 690 is definitely the literbike of supermotos. We should meet up for a ride at some point and you could have a go on my DRZ and see what you think, it's a very different experience.

The DRZ is a 400, right? Even the older ones seem really expensive. I assume that's the more "putt putt" and zip around on a small bike sumo experience? Is it much slower than mine?

I can't afford the newer SMCs and the older ones would probably be a downgrade in some ways. Although I do love the way they look. But the 690 motor is probably worth having mine compared to the 625 and 640 I think.

I'm going to be taking my bike to San Fransisco on a mini road trip here soon. I was talking to Spiff we should definitely meet up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Christoff posted:

The DRZ is a 400, right? Even the older ones seem really expensive. I assume that's the more "putt putt" and zip around on a small bike sumo experience? Is it much slower than mine?

They arent too much slower than the 625's, couldnt tell you about the 690 though.

I think you're really overthinking this though. Its not like the DRZ is like a Honda spree and the 690 is some twin turbo Busa. They have their differences for sure, and the DRZ is slower than a 690, but theyre not as far apart as you're making it out to be.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

They arent too much slower than the 625's, couldnt tell you about the 690 though.

I think you're really overthinking this though. Its not like the DRZ is like a Honda spree and the 690 is some twin turbo Busa. They have their differences for sure, and the DRZ is slower than a 690, but theyre not as far apart as you're making it out to be.

Have you ridden a 690 smc? They're insane. Shorter wheelbase than the drz, insanely responsive FI, , a much tighter chassis, it reminds me of what I felt the first time I rode a literbike. They're not that fast if you look at the raw specs of it but the bike simply doesn't gently caress around, ever. The "ready to race" isn't just a slogan, it is without a doubt one of the most uncompromised bikes I've ever ridden.

It's also the first bike I've ever ridden where I thought the factory gearing could need to be a little taller. First gear is hilariously useless.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 18, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

It's also the first bike I've ever ridden where I thought the factory gearing could need to be a little taller. First gear is hilariously useless.

Z3n got on my 690 and immediately did an accidental wheelie, nearly going over backwards.

Also the 690SM weighs about the same as a DRZ at 325ish, the 690 SMC weighs 20lbs less. A race 450 weighs in between 240 and 260 lbs.

Cristoff, I haven't ridden the 690SM, but if it doesn't feel nimble you could try adjusting the suspension, or maybe even your riding style. Are you sitting mostly upright and leaning the bike beneath you in tight corners?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

KTM 625 SMC
KTM 660 SMC
Aren't these just the older versions of the 690? Anything with an LC4 is primarily a street bike, and not in the holy poo poo this a real SM category.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Have you ridden a 690 smc? They're insane. Shorter wheelbase than the drz, insanely responsive FI, , a much tighter chassis, it reminds me of what I felt the first time I rode a literbike. They're not that fast if you look at the raw specs of it but the bike simply doesn't gently caress around, ever. The "ready to race" isn't just a slogan, it is without a doubt one of the most uncompromised bikes I've ever ridden.

No, I've only ever ridden the 625, which doesnt have too much of a lead on a well tuned DRZ.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

No, I've only ever ridden the 625, which doesnt have too much of a lead on a well tuned DRZ.

Yeah you should ride one, they're awesome but they make no sense until you really wring it's neck, they're definitely bikes that have to be ridden hard and aren't great at low speeds.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

A 625 SMC makes a wee bit more horsepower, has way better suspension and brakes, a FCR carb from the box and weighs 30 pounds less (with gas) than the DRZ's quoted weight (who knows).

There will be a big difference in how they feel.

Also, you are just plain wrong about how a DRZ feels vs a 690. It is a huge difference. They are absolutely better in everyway performance wise. You can say you don't like the super responsive throttle, vibration and price, but if you are talking speed and performance, it's no contest. It really isn't. I owned a DRZ and a 690 at the same time, take my word for it or go try one. They are nothing a like when you twist the throttle.

Z3n has a fantastic example of a well setup DRZ and he was raping his throttle to keep up with us on drives out of corners where the KTM's were freely power wheeling.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alright, 690 Anti Defamation League stand down. All I know is the 625 and DRZ are drat close, so I didnt think the 690 would be far off.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Alright, 690 Anti Defamation League stand down. All I know is the 625 and DRZ are drat close, so I didnt think the 690 would be far off.

Not trying to come off as some 690 blow hard, either.

I'd really like to try a 625 or any of the previous gen supermotos really, just so I can say for sure. Given the specifications it should be a bit nippier on the throttle (equalish HP, more torque by a slim margin, but a bit less weight) and quite a bit better on the kit (brakes, suspension) stock. I really don't know what the engine is like to live with on a daily basis though. I know the older KTMs have a reputation for being very vibey.

For me though, and just about the only reason I sold the DRZ in the first place and even discovered how good SMs really can be is the 6th gear. I couldn't own another DRZ because the lack of the 6th gear, no matter how much I like those bikes. Not for how far I gotta ride to get to the really good stuff sometimes.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Spiffness posted:

I'd really like to try a 625 or any of the previous gen supermotos really, just so I can say for sure. Given the specifications it should be a bit nippier on the throttle (equalish HP, more torque by a slim margin, but a bit less weight) and quite a bit better on the kit (brakes, suspension) stock. I really don't know what the engine is like to live with on a daily basis though. I know the older KTMs have a reputation for being very vibey.

For me though, and just about the only reason I sold the DRZ in the first place and even discovered how good SMs really can be is the 6th gear. I couldn't own another DRZ because the lack of the 6th gear, no matter how much I like those bikes. Not for how far I gotta ride to get to the really good stuff sometimes.

Honestly, the lack of a 6th gear is really what does in the 640 LC4 too. It would cruise tolerably if it had one more cog. I spent about 8 hours on the Duke yesterday and you get used to the vibes over time, you're kind of ringing it's neck to stay at interstate speeds though. The real limiting factor I've found is the seat, but I would imagine that's a trait shared by all similar bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Pussy.

Hot Buttered posted:

Honestly, the lack of a 6th gear is really what does in the 640 LC4 too. It would cruise tolerably if it had one more cog. I spent about 8 hours on the Duke yesterday and you get used to the vibes over time, you're kind of ringing it's neck to stay at interstate speeds though. The real limiting factor I've found is the seat, but I would imagine that's a trait shared by all similar bikes.

Have you tried regearing the duke? that's what makes all the difference on the DRZ, finding the right combo of gearing so that you can live with it on the freeway. Eventually (probably in 2-3 weeks) I'll get around to doing the transmission mod and see how running an overdrive 5th works on the DRZ.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Pussy.

Have you tried regearing the duke? that's what makes all the difference on the DRZ, finding the right combo of gearing so that you can live with it on the freeway. Eventually (probably in 2-3 weeks) I'll get around to doing the transmission mod and see how running an overdrive 5th works on the DRZ.

:(

Re-gearing = no wheelies, and that makes KTM's sad.

I didn't know the first gen duke only had 5 gears. 640 for that matter. I assume the 640 adventure did?

Always something to learn...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

:(

Re-gearing = no wheelies, and that makes KTM's sad.

Which is why I'm taking my gears to a machine shop, sigh. I have a feeling the ideal gearing with the changed transmission is going to be something like 14/43 or so. Should be good for wheelies in the first 3 gears.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Christoff posted:

At any rate. I'm about to take the plunge on the following.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/3/19731/ITEM/Alpinestars-Tech-7-Supermoto-Boots.aspx

I own these boots and they are the most awesome thing ever. Totally worth the money. I absolutely love them.

Also, I know you still aren't planning on buying pants. I crashed yesterday completely destroying both my overpants and the jeans I had on underneath. My left leg is all kinds of in pain now. I'd hate to see where I'd be wearing just jeans, most likely a hospital. If you don't buy some real loving protective pants I'm going to follow you around the forum harassing you until I shame you into it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

I own these boots and they are the most awesome thing ever. Totally worth the money. I absolutely love them.

Also, I know you still aren't planning on buying pants. I crashed yesterday completely destroying both my overpants and the jeans I had on underneath. My left leg is all kinds of in pain now. I'd hate to see where I'd be wearing just jeans, most likely a hospital. If you don't buy some real loving protective pants I'm going to follow you around the forum harassing you until I shame you into it.

You alright?

I really want a set of tech 7s.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

You alright?

I really want a set of tech 7s.

Just put a post in the crash thread. Basically I'm an idiot but ok otherwise.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!

Z3n posted:

Most people actually go the other way with gearing, to make it more wheelie prone. I mean that's pretty much what's it's made for I guess, not what I used it for yesterday. I've read that once I complete the exhaust, airbox and jetting mods, it's relatively easy to wheelie in 1st and 2nd with the stock gearing. I would like to retain that ability since all I've ever pulled is a 6" power wheelie. Once. This is embarrassing for me to admit considering the bike I own, and it's a condition that needs to be remedied post-haste. With the little bit of work I've done, it already goes a little better. Once I mod the cans fully and step up to the next jet size, it should be even better. The intake hoot from removing the airbox lid is kinda cool too. The only real mod to do after that is a switch to a flat-side carb, which I would imagine really is what makes it a wheelie machine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dunno how much of a difference the flatslide is going to make on the KTM but it's huge on the DRZ. People almost always go shorter on gearing on sumos/dirtbikes/singles because they're not usually running commute duty on them, but for distance riding, the 15/41 setup on the DRZ isn't bad. (+1 tooth in the front over stock)

Get some handguards if you're gonna be pulling wheelies to protect your levers. Besides that I dunno how well the dukes crash, but if you take it slow you should be fine. I've got yet to crash a wheelie or stoppie (knock on wood) and that's because when I'm not feeling it, I don't try and force it. Some days I can roll stoppies all day long, some days I can hardly get the rear wheel off the ground, and trying to force it just feels wrong. Work your way up, bit by bit :)

kaiory
Sep 24, 2007
I've been thinking about a drz for awhile and this came up on craigslist: http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/1851201996.html It looks pretty clean and has low miles. What type of issues do you think the bike has? I'm still waiting on a reply from the seller so I don't know if it just needs the carb cleaned or something. I've cleaned the carb on my ninja 250 and adjusted the valves so I think I'd be able to bring this bike to good working order. Are there any big red flags about this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

See if you can get him down a bit, but really, they're simple bikes so there's not *that* much that can be wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

pr0zac posted:

How are they for just casual commuting? I won't be dragging my feet, track days, etc. I'll do the occasional canyon and maybe trail/gravel ride. I already have to make a bit of an effort to shift/brake. Especially braking. How is walking around in them? Are they just too much of a boot for the casual rider?

I'm wearing knee/shin guards now. Which I know aren't a substitute. I have a 1 piece suit a friend gave me (going to have to check the sizing) but I suppose I should at least invest in some overpants. But I still doubt I'd use them all that much.

All that being said I think I'll just enjoy my SM for at least a year or two and maybe get a SMC down the line. I'll be getting stationed here in Lemoore soon which is the armpit of California but I'm going to assume will have a lot of dirt biking to be done. In which case I'll probably just get a flat out KTM dirt bike. I assume the tech 7s would be great for dirt biking.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 20, 2010

• Locked thread