Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006
I pretty much lost it with G.A.S. and bought 2 new guitars in 2 weeks, a vintage PRS, from 1990 :aaaaa:, for not such a crazy price, and an Agile 7 string Interceptor. They're both amazing.

Click here for the full 1200x1478 image.

From top to bottom:

Ibanez RGT42
PRS Standard 24
Agile Interceptor
PRS SE Custom 24

I've got way too many guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple
Last year, I had to sell my guitar, a Jackson DK2L with an EMG-81 I dropped in the bridge, to Guitar Center to pay my rent, and it was terribly sad. Much to my surprise, the guitar never sold, and having been around for so long, its price had dropped to only $25 more than they originally gave me for it as of the first of July, so I went and bought it back this weekend. Also, run on sentences rule =)

Click here for the full 800x1200 image.

And here's a really god damned big Crate combo amp I bought from a dude on Craigslist to blast it through in celebration:

Click here for the full 689x600 image.

You'll have to excuse the state of the room, I recently moved in and my brother and I are in the process of replacing the floor. But hey, instruments and poo poo!

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Valtaherra posted:

Last year, I had to sell my guitar, a Jackson DK2L with an EMG-81 I dropped in the bridge, to Guitar Center to pay my rent, and it was terribly sad. Much to my surprise, the guitar never sold, and having been around for so long, its price had dropped to only $25 more than they originally gave me for it as of the first of July, so I went and bought it back this weekend. Also, run on sentences rule =)

Click here for the full 800x1200 image.

And here's a really god damned big Crate combo amp I bought from a dude on Craigslist to blast it through in celebration:

Click here for the full 689x600 image.

You'll have to excuse the state of the room, I recently moved in and my brother and I are in the process of replacing the floor. But hey, instruments and poo poo!

:)

that's pretty cool

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Hey! lovely loving mixers need love too!

Man, if I could get a picture of my Mono/Poly and Polysix together. Such a cute couple :3:
e well this one from the kind folks in keios japanese advertising division

Please tell me they come in the plastic capsule.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Liku posted:

Please tell me they come in the plastic capsule.

lol, like Ive run across the packing materials older than I am!

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!
Tomorrow I am picking up a 5 string Fender Jazz MIM for $100. Then I am going to flip it with the spare parts I have on hand if it is in questionable condition. I have a buyer that I am meeting thursday that wants to trade for a MIM Fender Tele Wine Red.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

HundredxNails posted:

Tomorrow I am picking up a 5 string Fender Jazz MIM for $100. Then I am going to flip it with the spare parts I have on hand if it is in questionable condition. I have a buyer that I am meeting thursday that wants to trade for a MIM Fender Tele Wine Red.

Sounds like a good deal. I hate to suggest it, but in this case... boil the strings for 10-15 minutes in an old pan/pot. Might be worth your time to get that new-er bass zing without the expense of new strings. It does refresh them for a while.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Click here for the full 920x575 image.

On hold for me at L&M. Decided to pull the trigger because I can get it for $115; they left a sticker on it from a sale that ended weeks ago. Competitive crossgrading from Finale mostly because Sibelius just looks easier to use and creates really nice looking scores. Also because I'm mad at Finale for bricking itself as far as I can tell in response to a plugin that had nothing to do with it. And finally because as I mentioned earlier, Finale seems to be on a marching-band oriented trajectory in terms of updates for the foreseeable future.

And if the first stock picture I could find is to be believed, Sibelius 6 will address me by name and give me orchestration advice! :buddy:

Edit: Tables seem to be intact but that is a big-rear end image so thumbnail it is.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Arrives Thursday! :fap:

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
Just bought a Korg Nanokey

I'm a bit retarded, so I hope somebody can answer this stupid question for me: Can I just plug this thing in, install a MIDI driver and just play?

Is it that simple? Or is there some extra software I need? And where do I get more sounds and instruments for it?

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Hopefully you won't even need to install drivers for it.

What kind of instruments are you looking for? Native Instruments has a nice selection, so that might be a good place to start.

edit: You're also going to need a DAW of some kind.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

shock.wav posted:

Just bought a Korg Nanokey

I'm a bit retarded, so I hope somebody can answer this stupid question for me: Can I just plug this thing in, install a MIDI driver and just play?

Is it that simple? Or is there some extra software I need? And where do I get more sounds and instruments for it?

Well, the Nanokey is just a controller, not a synth, so no sounds will come out it by itself. You can use the Nano to control hardware midi synths or VST (software) synths.

The easiest way to get sounds out would be for you to download a VST host application (such as Chainer), grab a couple of free VSTs from a place like KVR and get to twiddling.

Make sure that you set up your audio card for ASIO drivers if your card has them, otherwise get ASIO4ALL and set the buffer to the lowest you can go before clicks and glitches are audible.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. Could you tell me what you mean by 'DAW'?

edit: nevermind, I guess it just means 'a computer with speakers'

shock.wav fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 7, 2010

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

shock.wav posted:

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you tell me what you mean by 'DAW'?

edit: nevermind, I guess it just means 'a computer with speakers'

It means Digital Audio Workstation. Cubase, ProTools, Logic, etc.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
I was planning on using Audition. Would this work?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

shock.wav posted:

I was planning on using Audition. Would this work?

Looks like Audition 2+ supports VSTs and ASIO, so, maybe.

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

iostream.h posted:

Arrives Thursday! :fap:

Gibson? Epi? Some Japanese thingie? Come on man, don't tease us so badly!

(PS: switch out those cream covers for black ones)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

J. Scott posted:

Gibson? Epi? Some Japanese thingie? Come on man, don't tease us so badly!

(PS: switch out those cream covers for black ones)
Gibson Custom Shop, part of a VIP purchase event from a few years ago. The only thing I probably would have done differently if I'd ordered it would have been a wrap tailpiece. I can't WAIT for this thing to get here.

J. Scott
Jul 18, 2009

You think this is the real Quaid?!

iostream.h posted:

Gibson Custom Shop, part of a VIP purchase event from a few years ago. The only thing I probably would have done differently if I'd ordered it would have been a wrap tailpiece. I can't WAIT for this thing to get here.

Holy crap. That's awesome dude. In that case, don't change anything.

Can't wait for more pics.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Now that my equipment decided to play nice so I could begin using it, here's a Studio Projects B1 I picked up for about 50€ used, complete with the shock mount, the foam fluff and the wooden case.

She's a heavy daughterofa so until I get a mic stand worthy I have a bag with hammers, spanners and a monkey wrench hanging off the end of the bar. Previous condenser mic I owned was a Behringer C1, very happy to say the leap in quality was nearly instantly noticeable, the mixer preamp is bottlenecking the quality though. Excellent with vocals and spoken word, gonna try sampling sensitive low-volume things over the weekend like cracking open a bottle of beer and pouring it, just can't help but feel that a proper preamp would really liven it up though. (and that's APB in the background)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Previous condenser mic I owned was a Behringer C1, very happy to say the leap in quality was nearly instantly noticeable,

What are your thoughts on the C1 as a starter mic? My mixerboard has phantom power so that's not an issue. I'm looking to trade up from my $20 XLR Best Buy Cardioid.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Hadlock posted:

What are your thoughts on the C1 as a starter mic? My mixerboard has phantom power so that's not an issue. I'm looking to trade up from my $20 XLR Best Buy Cardioid.

Good starter, great price, not as terrible as one would think. Not the greatest mic in capturing sound quality but when you're on a <$50 budget and looking for a condenser, that's probably the best choice.

Unless you get lucky like me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

J. Scott posted:

Holy crap. That's awesome dude. In that case, don't change anything.
Can't wait for more pics.
Jesus Christ this thing's like never been played, I can't find a mark on a fret anywhere. Has 50's wiring, so I'm pretty much (so far) just leaving the selector in the middle and fiddling with volume/tone controls to change sound, but when I DO flip it either way fully, drat.

I'm seriously happy so far, I'll head to the practice area later and get some volume through some hot tubes, but so far, yeah. It plays really well. Need to restring it first.

It's a Custom Shop Historic with a '59 neck.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Jesus Christ this thing's like never been played, I can't find a mark on a fret anywhere. Has 50's wiring, so I'm pretty much (so far) just leaving the selector in the middle and fiddling with volume/tone controls to change sound, but when I DO flip it either way fully, drat.

I'm seriously happy so far, I'll head to the practice area later and get some volume through some hot tubes, but so far, yeah. It plays really well. Need to restring it first.

Sexual

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

iostream.h posted:

I don't know in what alternate timeline that qualifies as "historic" but I want to visit it. :psylon:

It takes a whole lot to make me jealous of a Les Paul but that one is pushing it. Love P-90s.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I don't know in what alternate timeline that qualifies as "historic" but I want to visit it. :psylon:
I dunno, I'm just quoting the paperwork with it, I didn't buy it as a collectible anyway. I'm really REALLY liking it so far, I've been A/B'ing it against the rest of my collection and it's got such great character. With all these P90's I've bought lately, I've GOT to get a better noise gate tho'.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, it's in no way a knock against the guitar, just Gibson's goofy marketing.

As for quieting the P-90s, noise gate is okay but there's really no good reason not to have the grounding and shielding redone, either yourself of by a pro. "50s wiring" looks good on paper but in reality star grounding and proper shielding will reduce hum tremendously with no real downside other than the inside of your guitar not looking like the inside of a guitar from 1958. And in the case of the LP above, the outside doesn't look like something from '58 so I'd highly recommend getting the wiring fixed.

Some noise gates are getting really good (I hear good things about the ISP Decimator) but there are also complaints about the effect on attack, especially used clean. P-90s gotta have a good clean tone, so even if you're using a gate for distorted sounds it's still worth getting the grounding and shielding up to 2010 standards. It will allow you to set the threshold lower on the gate so that it interferes with your guitar sound less, and you may even decide to skip the pedal altogether.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Yeah, it's in no way a knock against the guitar, just Gibson's goofy marketing.

As for quieting the P-90s, noise gate is okay but there's really no good reason not to have the grounding and shielding redone, either yourself of by a pro. "50s wiring" looks good on paper but in reality star grounding and proper shielding will reduce hum tremendously with no real downside other than the inside of your guitar not looking like the inside of a guitar from 1958. And in the case of the LP above, the outside doesn't look like something from '58 so I'd highly recommend getting the wiring fixed.

Some noise gates are getting really good (I hear good things about the ISP Decimator) but there are also complaints about the effect on attack, especially used clean. P-90s gotta have a good clean tone, so even if you're using a gate for distorted sounds it's still worth getting the grounding and shielding up to 2010 standards. It will allow you to set the threshold lower on the gate so that it interferes with your guitar sound less, and you may even decide to skip the pedal altogether.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't '50s wiring' just refer to the way the capacitor is connected between the volume and tone pots? Not anything to do with the quality of the grounding and shielding at all?

That being said, it's probably still worth looking into improving the shielding if there's a noise problem.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

If we're being honest almost all production electric guitars are wired the same way they were in the 50s. While Gibson might be using it to mean something more specific, star grounding wasn't being done in the 50s (at least not by them), nor was complete shielding. As a result, their P-90 equipped models tend to be a touch noisy.

To be clear, it isn't an issue of the quality of the grounding and shielding as much as the grounding being prone to loops and the shielding being largely absent.

Also disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer or anything close, the above is just my understanding of general guitar poo poo of course.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

If we're being honest almost all production electric guitars are wired the same way they were in the 50s. While Gibson might be using it to mean something more specific, star grounding wasn't being done in the 50s (at least not by them), nor was complete shielding. As a result, their P-90 equipped models tend to be a touch noisy.

To be clear, it isn't an issue of the quality of the grounding and shielding as much as the grounding being prone to loops and the shielding being largely absent.

Also disclaimer: I'm not an electrical engineer or anything close, the above is just my understanding of general guitar poo poo of course.

The 50s vs 60s is about which lug the caps are connected to. Modern wiring has a smoother drop off as you turn the volume knob down but the 50s wiring stays brighter as the volume is turned down. Threre are other supposed tonal benefits but that's the general gist of it. Both camps have their staunch defenders (for some weird reason) but really it's what you get used to. I tried 50s wiring in my LP a few years ago and that's how it stays to this day because I see no reason to change it back.

Modern

50s

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Picked this up yesterday because it was cheaper than just a guitar + case, and I needed an acoustic for camping:

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

qball posted:

The 50s vs 60s is about which lug the caps are connected to. Modern wiring has a smoother drop off as you turn the volume knob down but the 50s wiring stays brighter as the volume is turned down. Threre are other supposed tonal benefits but that's the general gist of it. Both camps have their staunch defenders (for some weird reason) but really it's what you get used to. I tried 50s wiring in my LP a few years ago and that's how it stays to this day because I see no reason to change it back.

Modern

50s

Learn something new every day, thanks! I think that modern components and configurations are capable of delivering the benefits of either style in addition to reduced noise. Changing cap value can also preserve more high end as the volume is turned down for example (or so I'm told). Obviously there's no real reason to change something that's working perfectly, but in the case of a P-90 equipped guitar that is experiencing noise issues I think truly modern wiring (not Gibson "modern") might be in order.

I guess it bears mentioning that there are a few really good hum-canceling P-90 options available now, but those are more expensive than shielding tape and wire. And compulsive pickup swapping seems to be a more common activity in owners of guitars that aren't custom shop Gibsons.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Welp:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Welp:

:aaaaa:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

This thing is so much fun!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Welp:

Oh rad, I didn't know these existed. It could probably be used to recreate the effect of the Boss Feedbacker that would infinitely sustain a note as long as you held the pedal.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

plester1 posted:

Oh rad, I didn't know these existed. It could probably be used to recreate the effect of the Boss Feedbacker that would infinitely sustain a note as long as you held the pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHiXd926_0

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Added two more black label Fenders[1] to the collection. Brings me up to 5.

The Tele is pretty beat up, but plays well. Needs a complete setup, which I will do this weekend. It came missing one knob, and I put the amp knobs on for the Muddy Waters look.

The Strat is exceeding my expectations. Has a fair amount of playing wear, but it's still solid and plays excellent. The neck just feels "right" to me, and is extremely unlike other Mexican maple necks from that time. Maybe there is truth to the rumor the necks on the black labels are from the US.

Both part of the "Squier Series", which means single ply pickguards. There were also just Fender marked ones that had w/b/w pickguards, but were otherwise the same. 4 of my 5 are Squier Series, the Fender on the right is a parts-o-caster, but the neck and body are both original black label parts. The red ones are all original, except for the knobs on the Tele.

[1] Made from ~94-96 in Mexico. Sold as a step down from the Mexican standards, but basically the same. 3 colors, 4 models, and enough varations that I'll have to buy another ~20 to have one of each. Luckily they're still cheapish.

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.
I've been on a ridiculous Jane's Addiction kick recently, so I picked this up:

Since I couldn't justify the cost of a real Custom 24, I got this SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary. I replaced the tuners with Grover locking minis. It's fun to play, and sounds great through the Mesa Dual Rectifier.

Also, at the risk of coming off obsessed with tuning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

kamapuaa posted:

Also, at the risk of coming off obsessed with tuning:

Wrong tuner for that, bub. :smug: