Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Rake Arms posted:

I loved Death Proof, but I'm afraid to watch it again now that I've fallen hopelessly in love with Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Go watch Sky High then, that'll take care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So I started watching Charulata based on all the praise and recommendations. This is my first Satyajit Ray film, and I was pretty excited to see it. But I had to turn it off after about 30 minutes because the subtitles are absolutely maddening. Typos are rampant, sentences don't make any sense, and worst of all, some of them flash on the screen for fractions of a second. I literally had to rewind the DVD over ten times to re-read the lightning speed subs that I missed. And I'm a fast reader. I was spending the vast majority of my energy on struggling to read the subtitles before they vanished, making it nearly impossible to follow the story (I have no idea which characters are brother/sister, husband/wife, etc.) I've never had this problem before.

I got the DVD from Netflix. Is there another DVD out there with decent subtitles? Or a dubbed version? I hate dubbed films, but in this case I would much prefer it over this garbage.

I can tell this is going to be a good movie, but I don't think I'm going to enjoy it unless I can find a copy that's easier to follow. This really pisses me off.

EDIT: Also, none of the song lyrics or writing is subtitled. This DVD is a complete travesty.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 3, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

So I started watching Charulata based on all the praise and recommendations. This is my first Satyajit Ray film, and I was pretty excited to see it. But I had to turn it off after about 30 minutes because the subtitles are absolutely maddening. Typos are rampant, sentences don't make any sense, and worst of all, some of them flash on the screen for fractions of a second. I literally had to rewind the DVD over ten times to re-read the lightning speed subs that I missed. And I'm a fast reader. I was spending the vast majority of my energy on struggling to read the subtitles before they vanished, making it nearly impossible to follow the story (I have no idea which characters are brother/sister, husband/wife, etc.) I've never had this problem before.

I got the DVD from Netflix. Is there another DVD out there with decent subtitles? Or a dubbed version? I hate dubbed films, but in this case I would much prefer it over this garbage.

I can tell this is going to be a good movie, but I don't think I'm going to enjoy it unless I can find a copy that's easier to follow. This really pisses me off.

Netflix usually has the "Bollywood Video" releases, which are notoriously terrible (do not under any circumstances put Joi Baba Felunath in your queue, the subtitles will drive you insane). I have the "Big Home Video" edition, these were my comments on it:

FitFortDanga posted:

There are no extras whatsoever, but it does come very nicely packaged with a slipcover, and a glossy booklet featuring a lot of original press material. The (non-removeable) subtitles are fair... not as comprehensive as the UK Artificial Eye disc, but without any glaring flaws or inaccuracies. The print is a little rough around the edges, but the transfer is generally clean... except for an odd horizontal video glitch near the bottom. There's also a studio logo in the upper right corner which is distracting despite being semi-transparent. The audio is sometimes scratchy, but not too bad.

You can get it from Induna.com for $7.12, but the shipping is pretty high.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

except for an odd horizontal video glitch near the bottom. There's also a studio logo in the upper right corner which is distracting despite being semi-transparent.

This actually sounds pretty terrible to me.

I'm region-free. Is the UK version you mention substantially better?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

This actually sounds pretty terrible to me.

I'm region-free. Is the UK version you mention substantially better?

Oh yeah, the Artificial Eye releases are the best available from what I've seen.

EDIT: here is a review

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 3, 2010

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

Oh yeah, the Artificial Eye releases are the best available from what I've seen.

EDIT: here is a review

Since I really want to see this (as well as his other stuff) in the best quality available, I went ahead and ordered this set from amazon.uk. $28 shipped. Less than $10 per film. Not too bad. Thanks for the info.

And now that I have, you can all but guarantee a Criterion announcement shortly. That's my luck.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

Since I really want to see this (as well as his other stuff) in the best quality available, I went ahead and ordered this set from amazon.uk. $28 shipped. Less than $10 per film. Not too bad. Thanks for the info.

And now that I have, you can all but guarantee a Criterion announcement shortly. That's my luck.

I hope you like them. You're getting my two favorite Ray films, plus Nayak which is quite good as well.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Glass Joe posted:

Go watch Sky High then, that'll take care of it.

God damnit, I don't want to see her play a villain either. But Jesus was she adorable in Sky High.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

That Guy Maddin short was the best example of what I'm looking for. It definitely looks like it's from 1920 for the most part.

I was more just wondering why it seems so many movies do such a bad job of reproducing that old look when they try to. A good example is the Dharma orientation films from Lost. They were supposed to look like they were shot in the 70s but they really didn't look like it.

Is it possible to just take an old film camera and shoot footage that would look like that Guy Maddin film, not counting the wear of course. Or has film stock improved so much that it's not possible? It seems you can't just take any modern footage and get that look with effects/processing since you can subconsciously tell that it's not authentic.

edit: just looked at a clip from Lumiere & Company and that looks pretty good too.

Most of it has to do with slower film stock, slower lenses, and shorter focus. Also, pre-1950s nitrate stock has extremely deep black levels that are difficult to obtain on modern stock until some of Kodak's newer VISION stocks. Now there's digital intermediates and it's simpler to get an authentic look. Nitrate is hard to replicate, but the Nation's Pride segment in Inglorious Basterds looked surprisingly accurate.

Young Frankenstein was shot somewhat underexposed so that prints had to be "pushed" in brightness. This resulted in just enough graininess to look like a 1930s film rather than something shot on finer 1970s stock.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FitFortDanga posted:

I hope you like them. You're getting my two favorite Ray films, plus Nayak which is quite good as well.

I'll be sure to let you know what I think of them. I was perusing your Ray thread today and realized what a shame it is that it didn't get more attention than it did. Tons of great info in there.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I feel like a complete moron asking something so vague, but I'm pretty sure the entirety of La Moustache just went completely over my head with a resounding whoosh.

It doesn't seem like any possibility would explain the behavior of Agnes, Bruno, the girl by the photo booth, and the existence of the Bali pictures that we see. Am I just overcomplicating a simple case of unreliable narrator (and camera I guess)? I'm fine with ambiguity, but nothing is really clicking for me here.

JessJezzz
Jul 20, 2005

Pinchin' on the Ritz
nm

JessJezzz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 5, 2010

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I just had a thought: How would you do effects shots using miniatures with a 3d camera? Wouldn't the 3d make that kind of scale-trickery impossible? Little models that are two inches from the camera would still look like they're two inches from the camera, right? I guess you could do the shot in 2d and "paint in" the 3d later...

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

microwave casserole posted:

I just had a thought: How would you do effects shots using miniatures with a 3d camera? Wouldn't the 3d make that kind of scale-trickery impossible? Little models that are two inches from the camera would still look like they're two inches from the camera, right? I guess you could do the shot in 2d and "paint in" the 3d later...
Haha. Who uses miniatures anymore?

CGI, baby. :cool:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

microwave casserole posted:

You could reduce the parallax to flatten the depth and give the illusion that the object is further away. I have no idea if this is actually done, but it should work.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

A Futbol Injustice posted:

Haha. Who uses miniatures anymore?

CGI, baby. :cool:

I'm pretty sure most big effects movies still feature a lot of miniature work and use CGI to clean it up/composite it into the scene.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I watched Pi a couple days ago and I feel like I completely missed the point or something. It feels like there's some deeper meaning I'm just not grasping, someone help me out a little?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I watched Pi a couple days ago and I feel like I completely missed the point or something. It feels like there's some deeper meaning I'm just not grasping, someone help me out a little?

From what I got from it, there is a series of numbers that appears no matter how random the numbers are. These numbers can be used to predict the future of such a random collection of numbers, such as the stock market. These series of numbers also apparently spell the true name of God as in Hebrew, the alphabet is also a number system.

As for Cohen's crazy injections and pills, well, mathematicians do have the highest instance of insanity out of any type of science.

I don't think is was a very deep film, just a lot of weird arty music video like stuff for the sake of it. I'm sure someone will correct me on this though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

No that's pretty much it. The plot is fairly straightforward but I like the execution, style & soundtrack a lot.

Max has amazing math abilities (due to looking into the sun when he was a kid and getting some kind of "brain damage"). He discovers the true name of god which is can be written as a 214 digit number that will also predict patterns in chaotic systems that wouldn't normally be predictable, such as the stock market. This is of course valuable (hence the pursuit by Orthodox Jews and stock brokers), but knowing the number is also dangerous to your health, so he ends up "curing" himself with the drill.

It's stated several times throughout the film:

Max Cohen posted:

11:15, restate my assumptions:
1. Mathematics is the language of nature.
2. Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
3. If you graph these numbers, patterns emerge.
Therefore: There are patterns everywhere in nature.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Maybe calculus wasn't enough for me, but how do you graph numbers and get a pattern? It would seem he needs an equation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Exactly which Republic serials inspired Indiana Jones?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

I do believe the Allan Quatermain serials.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
What do the reptiles represent? I get some of the other stuff like the silver spoon but the reptiles escape me.

Mister Squishy
Nov 15, 2000
I just finished watching "M" (the 1931 film) for the first time. Did blind beggars in pre-World War II Germany really wear signs around their necks that said "BLIND", or was that just a clumsy visual device?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

A Futbol Injustice posted:

Maybe calculus wasn't enough for me, but how do you graph numbers and get a pattern? It would seem he needs an equation.

It's important to remember the Jewish background: "I am he who cannot be named', though he might be represantable by a 214 digit number. Jewish mytics have spent a couple thousands years doing math substitutions on the Torah.

(Interesting to note: the idea of digits actually came later than the writing of those scriptures.)

Remember that other traditions (Vedic traditions in particular) say that the Universe is chanted into being; and that hearing that chanted syllable is reaching enlightenment/ understanding the universe. (Actually the Vedic traditions say thousands of things, but that strand is there.)

The pattern does not 'represent' anything. It is everything.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Mister Squishy posted:

I just finished watching "M" (the 1931 film) for the first time. Did blind beggars in pre-World War II Germany really wear signs around their necks that said "BLIND", or was that just a clumsy visual device?

Same idea as something like this - though it's probable that the sign in the film was exaggerated to get the point across.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So I just finished watching Blue Velvet. Yeah.

(loved it)

Anyway, I have a spoilery question because I was slightly confused by one of the last scenes.

I cannot figure out why the man in the yellow suit is standing up at the end. He seems to have suffered some sort of catastrophic brain damage, but it's never explained how or by what. Actually the entire scene doesn't make a huge amount of sense--I have no idea why those guys are up there. I assume this is inexplicable David Lynch dream sequence stuff?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

(loved it)

Anyway, I have a spoilery question because I was slightly confused by one of the last scenes.

I cannot figure out why the man in the yellow suit is standing up at the end. He seems to have suffered some sort of catastrophic brain damage, but it's never explained how or by what. Actually the entire scene doesn't make a huge amount of sense--I have no idea why those guys are up there. I assume this is inexplicable David Lynch dream sequence stuff?
I thought he got stabbed through the head and pinned to the wall or something. I can't remember. It does make sense if you go back and watch it, though. Blue Velvet is one of the most straightforward, non-dream-logic Lynch films around.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

(loved it)

I just watched this for the first time a couple days ago, and that had me wondering too, but according to Wikipedia he was lobotomized by a ricocheting bullet. Of course, being Wikipedia, you should take it with a huge grain of salt. I didn't bother to check the source, but it for drat sure wasn't mentioned in the movie itself. Awesomely creepy though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I would check out Secret Service in Darkest Africa if I were you. It's definitely the closest inspiration I've seen. It's got an American Secret Service agent fighting Nazis in Casablanca trying to recover the Dagger of Solomon, the handle of which is a key to open an ancient leader's tomb, that gives the wielder (political) control over Muslims.

The first scene starts out with Agent Rex Bennett in Nazi disguise (with absolutely no German accent, of course) infiltrating a German operation, getting found out, and having to punch his way out of a hidden room inside of a large castle. He soon teams up with a French officer and a female agent to try to stop the Nazis from taking control of the region. The other film with Rex Bennett, G-Men vs. The Black Dragon is fun, too, and feels a bit like the beginning of Temple of Doom in spots.

Aside from that most serials have bits and pieces that resemble the Indiana Jones movies. I'd recommend Captain Midnight and other similar aviator serials. The serial with the best action I've ever seen, though, is King of the Royal Mounted, though it doesn't resemble Indiana Jones too much. Unfortunately due to the nature of serials, we never really get much personality from any of the characters. They're more or less stock characters used to drive action.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 9, 2010

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fenix down posted:

This has probably been asked before, but has there ever been a remake of a movie or TV show that rose above the source material or got good reviews?

The only one I could think of was The Man Who Knew Too Much - but it doesn't seem like that one would count.

I'm'a gonna be controversial and say that I liked Adrian Lyne's 1997 version of Lolita better than Kubrick's.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So what was the first film to have a cross promotion with something outside of the movies?

In my life time of nearly 33 years, product tie ins are common place, from my earliest recollections of Star Wars glasses to Dispeciable Me at iHop, there have always been some cross promotion with something.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Honest Thief posted:

What about the Inside Man, when Denzel gets so angry he just seems to glide to the bank doors
It's been a while since I saw The Inside Man, but I really liked that glide bit. My interpretation of it was that the glide started because they shot a hostage, which takes a lot of the situation out of the hands of the negotiator and starts a string of results that Denzel hates but is helpless to stop. That's why he is riding on rails, because as soon as the execution happens, so is everyone else.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

So what was the first film to have a cross promotion with something outside of the movies?

In my life time of nearly 33 years, product tie ins are common place, from my earliest recollections of Star Wars glasses to Dispeciable Me at iHop, there have always been some cross promotion with something.

As a child, I was really mad at my brother because he got two Berlin Alexanderplatz cups and I even offered to trade him for three Katzelmacher cups but he wouldn't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

InfiniteZero posted:

As a child, I was really mad at my brother because he got two Berlin Alexanderplatz cups and I even offered to trade him for three Katzelmacher cups but he wouldn't.

Wait, these are real? I've seen that image before and assumed they were a Photoshop friday thingy.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

From Wikipedia...

quote:

The first notable occurrence of cross media marketing occurred in 1977 with the release of the film Saturday Night Fever and its respective soundtrack. The single "How Deep Is Your Love" by The Bee Gees was originally meant to be recorded by Yvonne Elliman for an unrelated album, but it was decided by RSO Records to have The Bee Gees record it and released in an effort to promote the film. The release of the film promoted not only the released single but the entire soundtrack.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

In 1980, Baskin-Robbins had a cross-promotion with the Village People movie Can't Stop the Music. I believe the flavor was "Can't Stop the Nuts" (can I get a double scoop with extra irony, please?)

I know this because the Baskin-Robbins was down the block from the local theater, and I remember seeing the poster in the window while waiting in line for Empire Strikes Back.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Toebone posted:

From Wikipedia...

That seems wrong because the first Star Wars had tie-ins and it come out first, right?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kapalama posted:

That seems wrong because the first Star Wars had tie-ins and it come out first, right?
It says `the first notable', not `first'. But yeah, it's bullshit.

For example part of the marketing of Fantastic Voyage (1966) involved a novelisation (written by Isaac Asimov) which was released in advance of the film. And if novelisations count as tie-ins (and they should) then that practice goes back to at least the '20s.

Edit:

According to wikipedia, Photoplay novelisations date back to `around 1912'.

SubG fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I get the feeling he was asking more about obviously promotional stuff that has nothing to do with the film, like Limited Edition Star Wars Coca-Cola and Shrek Pancakes and IHOP and stuff like that. Soundtracks and novelizations don't seem quite as blatant.