Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am deeply unnerved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

bgaesop posted:

I am deeply unnerved

You and me both :gonk::hf::cry:

I've never really followed Achewood and only started reading it properly in the middle of this current arc.

...I'm not sure if it was a good time to arrive or not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Radio Paranoia posted:

You and me both :gonk::hf::cry:

:gonk::hf::cry::respek::aaa:

I don't know if I can possibly handle having to wait more than a couple of days to see what happens next.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Jerusalem posted:

:gonk::hf::cry::respek::aaa:

I don't know if I can possibly handle having to wait more than a couple of days to see what happens next.

I dunno man, I remember when we talked about this stuff in high school health class and I'm pretty sure I know what happens next.

(spoiler: :gizz: )

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i want the police to arrive, but maybe no straight away.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Ashenai posted:

Holy poo poo, panel 4 didn't fully register for me the first time I saw it

Nathan was, if anything, understating his assets :monocle:

I was hoping that's not what I thought it was.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I'm waiting for Teodor's diginity to just bust through the back of the door and put everything back to normal, waving it away as a dream.

But deep inside I know his dignity ain't never coming back.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

JHomer722 posted:

I was hoping that's not what I thought it was.
it was almost like he was riding a sled. Some sort of meaty sled.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And as this happens, Nice Pete is carefully backing the Van up into Rays garage which has been all decorated for a surprise party where everyone eagerly awaits with present in hand.

Except Mr Bear, who is calmly sitting down with a small glass of refined Pimms.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Oh Jesus. Oh T.

I still don't understand why Pete's shadow was making a Molotov cocktail two strips ago...

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Happy Hippo posted:

Oh Jesus. Oh T.

I still don't understand why Pete's shadow was making a Molotov cocktail two strips ago...

He was fantasizing about what he could do to two people locked in the back of his van. The shadow was a cool, artistic way of showing what he was thinking about.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ooohhh. Makes sense! Thanks!

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
:gonk:

It is my sincere hope that Teodor's hands are on the lock, and old Nathan just enjoys exposing himself to an unwilling audience. That is a quality I would not be surprised to find in a 3AM Denny's patron.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Nathan looks really really scared in that last panel.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
If he is going to die, it is going to be la petite mort.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bgaesop posted:

I am deeply unnerved

Me too. Mostly about what will happen in the next strip but more specifically if it involves the adverb "deeply" in a way which will make Teodor want to go in a shower and never come out.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
Umm...so you guys realize that these last few strips are going on entirely in Nice Pete's head, right? The shift in art style and the "Unreliable Narrator" alt-text were supposed to indicate the shift from reality into fantasy?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This art style isn't what I would have imagined for Pete's thoughts.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Sigma-X posted:

I'm waiting for Teodor's diginity to just bust through the back of the door and put everything back to normal, waving it away as a dream.

But deep inside I know his dignity ain't never coming back.

CUT IT OUT YOU TWO DON'T YOU KNOW THERE'S A WAR GOING ON

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Umm...so you guys realize that these last few strips are going on entirely in Nice Pete's head, right? The shift in art style and the "Unreliable Narrator" alt-text were supposed to indicate the shift from reality into fantasy?
Old Denny's Patron getting blown by naked bloody Teodor doesn't seem like a happy High School memory thing to be dreamed up.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

LegoMan posted:

Old Denny's Patron getting blown by naked bloody Teodor doesn't seem like a happy High School memory thing to be dreamed up.

By Nice Pete?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LegoMan posted:

Hey, just because YOUR high school was dull...

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Teodor never thought he'd know something so beautiful. He was wrong, I suppose.

(Onstad, you gonna get letters for that alt text)

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

blue.eyed.ash posted:

I think this is wishful thinking rather than real evidence. The "Unhinged Narrator" was most likely confined to that one comic, in which Nice Pete was obviously imagining/hallucinating. The change in art style is most likely caused by playing around with brushes and a WACOM.

*edit* If anything, it's a hallucination of one of the passengers.

Locus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 9, 2010

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
Honestly, I haven't liked this story arc for a while, and it's going on for way too long. It's kind of turning me off to the strip right now.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

poor and weird posted:

Honestly, I haven't liked this story arc for a while, and it's going on for way too long. It's kind of turning me off to the strip right now.

Quick Onstad! Make a comic where Lyle pukes on Todd before you lose this one reader! *Cracks whip for good measure*

Honestly, the only explanation we've come up with for "30'ed" so far is that people in their middle life crisis smoke more weed? C'mon, goons, we're better than that :colbert:

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
Any strip related to Nice Pete is a good strip and I won't hear otherwise.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
I really like this arc to be honest, it's a very cool change in tone from what I'm used to. The constant experimentation and re-invention of Achewood's style is what I love about it.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Ashenai posted:

I really like this arc to be honest, it's a very cool change in tone from what I'm used to. The constant experimentation and re-invention of Achewood's style is what I love about it.

Thanks for saying that. Yeah, I've been doing this for like nine years or whatever. If I made the same old Marmaduke barfing into Garfield's gaping meatus gag every day, would you respect me? I wouldn't.

Anyhow, it's been interesting to see how many readers are against Téodor's gay experimentation/dalliance. Lots of folks are inadvertently outing themselves, I guess. (My logic is that if you hate gay people, it's because you yourself won't admit that you're gay, and are a little gay teapot of rage.)

Myself? Sexuality is a spectrum, son. However, I personally am, unfortunately or fortunately, straighter than John Wayne voting for Reagan on a horse. I can't get hot about dudes, and for that, I apologize to hot dudes. Keep up the good work, fellas. Go getcha' some.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I love the change of tone too. Achewood can be a lot of things. It's hilarious most of the time, so let it be like Ian Curtis sang a song that David Lynch wrote about Charles Manson for a while, alright people?

Having said that, there has never been a better opportunity to include men being punched on the erection and slidewhistle noises.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The whole time I was reading this strip I was saying outloud " Oooh no teodor dont do it man dont do it. dont suck that cock teodor oh nooo"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

robot roll call posted:

Having said that, there has never been a better opportunity to include men being punched on the erection and slidewhistle noises.

I have been absolutely on edge waiting for someone to get punched in/on the erection.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Chris Onstad posted:

If I made the same old Marmaduke barfing into Garfield's gaping meatus gag every day, would you respect me? I wouldn't.
If you had the dedication to make any joke, let alone that one, every day for years I would probably respect you somewhat.

I both love and hate this arc, or at least the last couple strips, pretty much because I agree with your "sexuality is a spectrum" statement. For instance, I believe you can be pretty far to one end or the other, but still willing to dabble with what lies at the opposite end, such as Teodor here. Maybe that's why these strips have made me uncomfortable; I consider myself pretty far towards the "straight" end of the spectrum, but I'll admit there are certain guys (and perhaps certain near-death situations) that I would go gay for. A young, suave Sean Connery comes to mind, or else an old, commanding Sean Connery.

So perhaps these strips have hit too close to home for my usual comfort zone. I see where Teodor is at, and I say to myself "Perhaps, if facing my own imminent murder, I might be willing to suck the cock of a perfect stranger." But then isn't it the goal of art to make the reader/viewer feel something, and whether that something is good or bad is mostly irrelevant?

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
What about punched with an erection?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

McGravin posted:

So perhaps these strips have hit too close to home for my usual comfort zone. I see where Teodor is at, and I say to myself "Perhaps, if facing my own imminent murder, I might be willing to suck the cock of a perfect stranger."

Yeah, Téodor is just a really interesting dude. He has these urges, but he's ashamed of them, but at the same time he's enlightened enough to know that he shouldn't be ashamed of them. Maybe. Or maybe I'm reading too much into the sexuality of a stuffed bear. Either way, the dude has a tension, and I'm interested to see where it goes.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LordSaturn posted:

I have been absolutely on edge waiting for someone to get punched in/on the erection.

Well, we're halfway there. A fist could get involved somehow, there's still time!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The thing is, if T wants to explore his sexuality, it'd be nice if it wasn't in the back of a sociopath's van with an elderly man's 10 inch dick.

But then again, I guess that's always how it is.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Nice Pete's fantasies in this strip don't fit with your art style theory.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Time Cowboy posted:

What about punched with an erection?

That's how they're gonna break free. Teodor's hefting Old Denny's Man up by the dingus and plans to break the lock by force by throwing an old man onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ChibiSoma posted:

That's how they're gonna break free. Teodor's hefting Old Denny's Man up by the dingus and plans to break the lock by force by throwing an old man onto it.

Then he uses it as a melee weapon to knock out Nice Pete.