Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Riff posted:

Loved this one, please do more where you play the game!
Yeah and I thought the role reversal was fun. Doesn't Zack usually "run" the games?

To-tems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Riff posted:

Loved this one, please do more where you play the game!

Agreed, this one's probably the funniest yet, and it still allows you to commentate plenty on the artwork and ridiculousness of it all.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I am going to play buddy jones in my next game. He's too fantastic.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

davidspackage posted:

Agreed, this one's probably the funniest yet, and it still allows you to commentate plenty on the artwork and ridiculousness of it all.

Seconded or fifth-ed or whatever just do more please.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
"gaseous form" had me rolling throughout. He's so fuckin smug about it. Amazing work.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think it's kinda funny/cool that old DnD dungeons (not all of them, but some) were basically highly elaborate deathtraps that you had to think/bullshit your way out of.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hey I actually did this one! I think it's one of the only modules I ever actually owned. I also remember it being incredibly boring.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/basic-dnd-adventure.php

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I laughed real hard at page 8.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

The MSJ posted:

Steve's long "Noooooo" is what did it for me.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Steve's long "Noooooo" is what did it for me.

That, and Decider with the broom. I fully expect the appearance of a hagspawn wielding a broom-axe in a later adventure.

VVV Firstly, she was totally okay with it. Secondly, things definitely did not work out in Steve's favor in the end. VVV

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 22, 2010

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Wait did Steve unchain the chick before banging her? If not, ew.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Good lord, I laughed my rear end off at this one. I also vote for more campaign articles, though have you considered getting some more front page collaborators to join in a larger party, maybe doing a two-or-three part installment?

DakotaStyle
Mar 2, 2008
That was funny as poo poo. I loved him being wary of his horses and axe. Very clever writing...

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Was that cover art done by the people who did the stuff for the Dragon Lance novels?

King of Crowns
Jul 15, 2004
BOY, I SURE AM ONE HELL OF A FUCK-UP!
I liked the simplicity of the one lone adventurer, but yeah, this is super short.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I liked how there kept being references of a greater story line that were never followed up on. The doomsayer was just a crazy old man. The boat in the desert was just a whacky gnome. Yhe runaway bugbear slaves came and went. The rock was just a large hall 380' long and 240' wide.

For all the trouble it was you think the lord of the manor could have just gone himself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The MSJ posted:

I completely lost my poo poo at the phrase "the wisdom of the Bro".

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
I laughed, I cried (from laughing so hard) and I hope you'll continue doing these articles so I can laugh some more.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I laughed so hard someone asked what my problem was.

These are awesome, and you really should do the Palace of the Silver Princess.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20020121x7

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007
Liked all the "there's no way I'm reading all of that" stuff. I'm sure almost all of us were thinking the same thing.

Thunderbeard
Jul 23, 2010

My stomach screams for meats.
In other DnD & SomethingAwful news... look at this ridiculousness...

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/TerrorBear_%283.5e_Monster%29

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Thunderbeard posted:

In other DnD & SomethingAwful news... look at this ridiculousness...

http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/TerrorBear_%283.5e_Monster%29

They could definetly do a good update just randomly picking monsters from this site.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
These newer WTF adventures have been funny and all, but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as making fun of hilarious fantasy art. Surely there's some more horrible Kevin Siembieda stuff to eviscerate?

Closet Cyborg
Jan 1, 2008
Our love will rust this world
The only way the adventures could get better would be if Steve ran the module with Zack, Dr. Thorpe, and Livestock in a party. Or even just Steve and Zack running the ridiculous World of Darkness adventure with the ghoul/werewolf/mage hybrid.

neoboman
Feb 16, 2007

Elmo Oxygen posted:

These newer WTF adventures have been funny and all, but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as making fun of hilarious fantasy art. Surely there's some more horrible Kevin Siembieda stuff to eviscerate?

I like them, but I hope they stick to variety and not just modules. Like if they did only those we never would've gotten the great Street Fighter, Rifts, etc stuff.

Bipedal Octopus
Feb 11, 2008
Those who do not know how to gleek will never know what it means to be alive

Closet Cyborg posted:

The only way the adventures could get better would be if Steve ran the module with Zack, Dr. Thorpe, and Livestock in a party.

That would be a dream come true! :swoon: Don't get me wrong, Zack and Steve are a hilarious team by themselves. But it would definitely be an interesting experiment to run a module with some of the other writers, even if it is only a one-time thing.

Or maybe Steve's friend Keith could swing by.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Nucleic Acids posted:

They could definetly do a good update just randomly picking monsters from this site.

If their mental facilities can withstand the strain they could tear up some of the ridiculous homebrew crap that's on there.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dean Snakehands is probably the most correct role playing I have ever seen.

quote:

That last fight was just too difficult. How could anyone possibly defeat all that text?

Bedevere fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 27, 2010

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/planescape-inner-planes.php

So how many adventures do you suppose have made use of the Plane of Salt?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ThemeMusicC posted:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/dungeons-and-dragons/planescape-inner-planes.php

So how many adventures do you suppose have made use of the Plane of Salt?
at least one if you count Angelina Jolie

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just the (fiery) description of the Elemental Plane of Fire alone makes this entire (fire) article worth reading (while on fire). I bet the (fire) elemental denizens of that plane keep a kiddie pool of water in their (fire) prison to execute political prisoners with.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
I was hoping for a starcraft joke regarding the firebats.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Mom fart smell hell sounds like the worst possible hell.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I liked this one- I'm glad you're tempering the new "actually running a campaign" style with older "let's riff on the monster manuals" ones, the variety keeps it from getting old.

Am I crazy or did you guys say another WTF D&D contest was coming up a few months ago? Any news on that front?

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I liked this one- I'm glad you're tempering the new "actually running a campaign" style with older "let's riff on the monster manuals" ones, the variety keeps it from getting old.

Am I crazy or did you guys say another WTF D&D contest was coming up a few months ago? Any news on that front?

An RPG company said they were interested in sponsoring a contest and then immediately after that they stopped responding. Haven't had a chance to look for a new sponsor.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

elpintogrande posted:

An RPG company said they were interested in sponsoring a contest and then immediately after that they stopped responding. Haven't had a chance to look for a new sponsor.

Oh, that stinks. Well, thanks for letting us know.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
The fire bat description made me think of those horrible "HOLY gently caress, IT'S A [completely mundane thing, like a hat]!!!" memes. Like "YOU THINK IT'S JUST A BAT OF FIRE? NO, IDIOT, IT'S A loving BAT ON FIRE!". How very avant-garde. The fundamentals are also totally not batwings, nope.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

quote:

Steve: He probably uses a +2 or better weapon.

This is absolutely the best.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Crimsonjewfro posted:

The fire bat description made me think of those horrible "HOLY gently caress, IT'S A [completely mundane thing, like a hat]!!!" memes. Like "YOU THINK IT'S JUST A BAT OF FIRE? NO, IDIOT, IT'S A loving BAT ON FIRE!". How very avant-garde. The fundamentals are also totally not batwings, nope.

I've played enough Zelda that it's just a Fire Keese to me.

But there's something very Boris Vallejo about the genre of monster that is Real Animal, On Fire. It's always something potentially symbolic, but not in that way. People don't mentally associate the same kinds of danger with fire as they do with bats; and it's never a loving Fire Hedgehog or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The interesting thing is that Cook's a pretty good writer/designer in his own right- but I suppose once you get to Volume III of a monster encyclopedia for a weird interdimensional setting it's hard to come up with non-silly ideas.

• Locked thread